Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Window 10, LC 8.1.9, Trying to compile a standalone with more than just one
application file to the main file (mainfile = splash screen stack).

I have a problem and working on this for many hours now. I am using a
splash stack as the "main stack" for compilation and I am including the
application stack using the dialogs in the "Stacks" pane of the "Standalone
Application Settings" window.

When I add this one application stack file all is fine. It compiles.

Now I want to add a library stack using the same "Stacks" pane just adding
this other stack to the same subfolder "resources" which also contains the
app file.

Compilation completely fails when adding this library stack (or any other
stack file I tested). During such compile, only the resources folder is
created and one of the included stacks is placed in there. Then the
compilation process quits without error.

I tried everything I could imagine to find out what is going wrong. Maybe
there is some script error in the application file or the splash stack. But
I have no idea as it all works in the IDE and it works in the limited
setting just using this one app file. An also in debugging mode nothing can
be detected. But somehow LiveCode does not like any additional brother or
sister for my application file.

When I do this with completely independent stack files it works though. I
made some test stacks to find out whether is a general problem. But
there... all is ok.

Maybe someone had similar experiences?

How can we check what is going wrong during compilation?

I am at the end of my wisdom. Sigh.

Roland

Re: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

On 3/7/18 2:49 PM, R.H. via use-livecode wrote:

> I am using a
> splash stack as the "main stack" for compilation and I am including the
> application stack using the dialogs in the "Stacks" pane of the "Standalone
> Application Settings" window.
>
> When I add this one application stack file all is fine. It compiles.
>
> Now I want to add a library stack using the same "Stacks" pane just adding
> this other stack to the same subfolder "resources" which also contains the
> app file.
>
> Compilation completely fails when adding this library stack

Put everything into the Copy Files pane instead. Anything there will be
copied to the Resources folder.

Re: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Jacque usually has a way out.

But I have no problem making a standalone with two added stack files.

Craig Newman

Re: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode

> On Mar 8, 2018, at 13:45 , dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jacque usually has a way out.

If she were in a horror film, she'd be the one who survives. ;-)

RE: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I usually panic and run into the barn with all the chain saws hanging from
the ceiling to hide.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jacque usually has a way out.

If she were in a horror film, she'd be the one who survives. ;-)

Re: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I suppose that's fine, but I usually run into the bathroom, where there is no hope of escape, then cower in the bathtub, ensuring there's plenty of water in it, and an electric blow dryer handy on the counter.

Bob S

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I usually panic and run into the barn with all the chain saws hanging
> from the ceiling to hide.
>
> Ralph DiMola

Re: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
On March 9, 2018 9:42:28 AM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Mar 8, 2018, at 13:45 , dunbarx via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Jacque usually has a way out.
>

> If she were in a horror film, she'd be the one who survives. ;-)
>
> Bob S

Thanks, gentlemen. Your compensation will be delivered as soon as it's
laundered.

RE: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
It only holds two, you'll have to draw straws.

On March 9, 2018 10:36:04 AM Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> And then Jacque fires up her time machine and saves us all!
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

I suppose you decide after the fact whether or not the short or the long straw gets to go??

Bob S

> On Mar 9, 2018, at 09:04 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It only holds two, you'll have to draw straws.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay

RE: Standalone compile problem including more than two stack files to the mainstack

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I like to thank everyone for help and suggestions !)

The suggestion from Jaqueline Landman gave me the workaround that I was
knowing that it would work: Using the "Copy Files" pane in the Standalone
Settings instead of using "Stacks".

So, thank you especially for this hint that saved me.

(For new and casual users: After compiling at least 50 x to find my error
and to know about errors generated in the Standalone and NOT in the IDE, I
created a handler that would receive information from each and every
statement writing "the result" and other information to a text file on disk
with a timestamp and some execution details. Simply setting a flag using a
hidden checkbox would stop executing this error catching. So, I am using a
"command catchError pMessage" handler in the lowest (or highest?) message
level (in my case library stack) that can be invoked from anywhere and
opens the error text file for append and immediately closes it. This works
pretty well even in a standalone for debugging purposes. The overhead is
manageable. Even on mobile that should work.)

I found one error in my code that had some bad influence. When the main
stack is opened from the complied splash stack and turning focus to the
main stack, trying to execute further instructions in the same handler
reverts back to the Splash stack and may find it impossible to execute.
Once the main stack is opened and control is given to it, Splash stack must
simply close and do nothing more.

Context Sensitive Help Suggestion

I was thinking of what especially new users might benefit from. I think it
is mainly information that might be missing. For example, what is the
meaning of a field "Destination Folder:" when it does not allow to enter a
path selected from disk? Or it should explain that these folders are
folders inside the specialfolderpath("resources") folder and that this
specialfolderpath("resources") changes for the compiled version, of course.
But what seems obvious is not always so obvious to a casual or new user.

The meaning and consequences of certain settings for compilation work (and
elsewhere) should ideally be available with a context-sensitive help right
at the spot describing more than just giving a title, and it could be
realized simply using a pop-up pane or opening a help window or opening an
appropriate help page in the browser. I would favor a context-sensitive
webpage help. This is a task that could be assigned to us in the community
may be. I would at least try to spend some time here.

Roland