Still looking into HTML5 app

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Do HTML5 apps support the "splash screen" approach? In our desktop app,
the (large) splash stack script is put in use as a library, and the
stack itself stores images and icons, template groups, and other
resources common to all the mainstacks it opens. It also has players
that provide audio globally while other mainstacks are open.

Does anyone know if these things are supported? I guess the main
question is whether the splash stack is available/in use in a browser
even when not visible. Or does the currently open stack completely
replace the splash in memory?

Re: Still looking into HTML5 app

On 3/14/18 2:10 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> Do HTML5 apps support the "splash screen" approach? In our desktop app,
> the (large) splash stack script is put in use as a library, and the
> stack itself stores images and icons, template groups, and other
> resources common to all the mainstacks it opens. It also has players
> that provide audio globally while other mainstacks are open.
>
> Does anyone know if these things are supported? I guess the main
> question is whether the splash stack is available/in use in a browser
> even when not visible. Or does the currently open stack completely
> replace the splash in memory?

I have just heard this is a no-go, so never mind. On the other hand, I'm
still curious about the capabilities of HTML5. It isn't clear yet what
it can and can't do, particularly with more complex multi-stack apps. It
would be useful to know what stays in RAM, how stack navigation,
libraries, and shared resources are managed, that sort of thing.

Re: Still looking into HTML5 app

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
There is a new feature "new window/another canvas" that may help with the
'splash' problem (library stacks).

Regarding audio/video: LC player is not supported. But everything
is possible what's possible in the supported browsers, because you have
the "do as javaScript" feature. Sadly you need until now still two versions
of a video (mp4 and webm) for the different browsers.

By the "do as javaScript" feature you have (running in a desktop machine)
effectively more possibilities and can be much faster in a HTML5 standalone
than in a desktop Mac/Win/linux standalone, if ...

... if you write your own javaScript additions or embed and use suitable
javascript engines.

p.s. Testing HTML5 builds is meanwhile very fast and comfortable. Just put
any (scripted) object on a test stack and compile to see what's working.

On 3/14/18 4:22 PM, hh via use-livecode wrote:

> There is a new feature "new window/another canvas" that may help with the
> 'splash' problem (library stacks).
>
> Regarding audio/video: LC player is not supported. But everything
> is possible what's possible in the supported browsers, because you have
> the "do as javaScript" feature. Sadly you need until now still two versions
> of a video (mp4 and webm) for the different browsers.
>
> By the "do as javaScript" feature you have (running in a desktop machine)
> effectively more possibilities and can be much faster in a HTML5 standalone
> than in a desktop Mac/Win/linux standalone, if ...
>
> ... if you write your own javaScript additions or embed and use suitable
> javascript engines.
>
> p.s. Testing HTML5 builds is meanwhile very fast and comfortable. Just put
> any (scripted) object on a test stack and compile to see what's working.

Thanks, I'll save this for reference. It sounds like I'd need to know
JavaScript to make a full-featured HTML5 app. Unfortunately I don't, so
I'm not too unhappy the project got cancelled.

Re: Still looking into HTML5 app

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Yup. Reading the release notes from 9 RC1 can help you to decide.
If it means anything...I'm pushing forward with a HTML5 Web Application
Project based on what I read here and tested in latest DP release