Stopping a Process

RevList
I have a routine that is looping through and opening a series of text
files using a Repeat Loop.

I know I can do a Command . to stop this, but what if I wanted to let the
end user stop the process?  How would I code this?

Stewart

Notice of Confidentiality:
material.  Any review re-transmission dissemination or other use of or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error please contact the sender immediately by return electronic
transmission and then immediately delete this transmission including all
attachments without copying distributing or disclosing same.

Re: Stopping a Process

Jim Ault

On 5/6/08 3:50 PM, "RevList" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a routine that is looping through and opening a series of text
> files using a Repeat Loop.
>
> I know I can do a Command . to stop this, but what if I wanted to let the
> end user stop the process?  How would I code this?

One way is

if the optionkey is down then exit repeat

or the synonym altKey

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

Re: Stopping a Process

masmit

On 6 May 2008, at 23:50, RevList wrote:
> I have a routine that is looping through and opening a series of text
> files using a Repeat Loop.
>
> I know I can do a Command . to stop this, but what if I wanted to
> let the
> end user stop the process?  How would I code this?
>
> Stewart

Another way, if you want ot have a 'stop' button, for instance, is to
have a script local variable that you set from a button :

in the stack or card script that runs the loop:

local sStopLoop = false

on someFunction
    repeat until jobDone
      if sStopLoop then exit repeat
      doStuff...
      wait 0 millisecs with messages -- need this to allow rev to
respond to button clicks
    end repeat
    cleanUpStuff...
end someFunction

on stopLoop
   put true into sStopLoop
end stopLoop

Then in the stop button script:

on mouseUp
   stopLoop

Mark

Re: Stopping a Process

kee nethery

On May 6, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Jim Ault wrote:

> On 5/6/08 3:50 PM, "RevList" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a routine that is looping through and opening a series of text
>> files using a Repeat Loop.
>>
>> I know I can do a Command . to stop this, but what if I wanted to
>> let the
>> end user stop the process?  How would I code this?
>
> One way is

> if the optionkey is down then exit repeat

exactly what I do.

If I have a long running process that I might want to halt, I sprinkle

if optionkey is down then
    exit repeat
end if

inside all my loops and if it goes off into the weeds and looks like
it will complete sometime next year, I press the option key and
eventually it halts.

:-) I've been know to use my stapler to hold down the optionkey for me
on really long running processes

Kee

> or the synonym altKey
>
> Jim Ault
> Las Vegas

Re: Stopping a Process

Hershel Fisch-2
On 5/6/08 6:37 PM, "Mark Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> on someFunction
>   repeat until jobDone
>     if sStopLoop then exit repeat
>     doStuff...
>     wait 0 millisecs with messages -- need this to allow rev to
What is this "with massages"? I'm trying to figure it out for the longest
time.
Hershel
> respond to button clicks
>   end repeat
>   cleanUpStuff...
> end someFunction
>

> Mark

Re: Stopping a Process

Ian Wood-3

On 7 May 2008, at 23:55, Hershel Fisch wrote:

>>    wait 0 millisecs with messages -- need this to allow rev to
>> respond to button clicks
>>
> What is this "with massages"? I'm trying to figure it out for the
> longest
> time.
> Hershel

As Mark wrote, this is needed so that the user can actually interact
in any way during the loop.

Waiting without messages means that the interface will stay frozen
until the entire handler has finished, meaning that people can't click
on 'Cancel' buttons etc.

Ian

Re: Stopping a Process

Jim Ault
If you don't use 'with messages'  the wait command will halt the current
handler and any messaging activity, such as a user click.

The 'with messages' allows other messages to be sent and received, such as
waiting for a web server to send more data, or an ftp download to keep
working while the user does other activities.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas