Store to iCloud Drive on iOS?

Wprothero
Folks:
Is it possible to access iCloud Drive on iOS, without going to the internet? The data are stored locally on the mobile device, but I know the user must approve this access in the mobile settings. It doesn’t sound like something LiveCode supports… Am I right?

Anybody know how this is done? I know the dropbox sample stack posted a while back got its data from the dropbox internet storage system, not the storage on the local device.

Has anyone done this?

Bill

William Prothero, Ph.D.
University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Store to iCloud Drive on iOS?

Bob Sneidar-2
iOS has no file system that is accessible by the user. Installed apps are compiled to run "in place" and if they need memory for other things the memory is sandboxed from other apps. Your app can request permission to access another app's data, which that app has to be written to allow, and the user has to grant permission when challenged.

You are right, that if Livecode has no functions for this, there is no way to do it, unless you can call an xcode api from your Livecode app.

Bob S

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 08:51 , William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks:
> Is it possible to access iCloud Drive on iOS, without going to the internet? The data are stored locally on the mobile device, but I know the user must approve this access in the mobile settings. It doesn’t sound like something LiveCode supports… Am I right?
>
> Anybody know how this is done? I know the dropbox sample stack posted a while back got its data from the dropbox internet storage system, not the storage on the local device.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> Bill
>
> William Prothero, Ph.D.
> University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

Re: Store to iCloud Drive on iOS?

Mike Kerner
Bill, just continuing that discussion on dropbox, what you would do is
retrieve the file from dropbox, and then store it with your app (it's just
a file).  The one thing I haven't tried to do is to use persistent custom
properties inside of my apps.  I'm more worried about the user deleting the
app and wiping the data with it, so even though I keep everything locally,
I still want it in the cloud, too.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> iOS has no file system that is accessible by the user. Installed apps are
> compiled to run "in place" and if they need memory for other things the
> memory is sandboxed from other apps. Your app can request permission to
> access another app's data, which that app has to be written to allow, and
> the user has to grant permission when challenged.
>
> You are right, that if Livecode has no functions for this, there is no way
> to do it, unless you can call an xcode api from your Livecode app.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Oct 22, 2016, at 08:51 , William Prothero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Folks:
> > Is it possible to access iCloud Drive on iOS, without going to the
> internet? The data are stored locally on the mobile device, but I know the
> user must approve this access in the mobile settings. It doesn’t sound like
> something LiveCode supports… Am I right?
> >
> > Anybody know how this is done? I know the dropbox sample stack posted a
> while back got its data from the dropbox internet storage system, not the
> storage on the local device.
> >
> > Has anyone done this?
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > William Prothero, Ph.D.
> > University of California, Santa Barbara, Emeritus

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Store to iCloud Drive on iOS?

Bob Sneidar-2
In Forms Generator, I have the users log in, and the first time they do they are prompted for certain critical settings, without which the app won't function. I save those settings in the login table of the database. For your purposes, you could simply create a sqlite table for that purpose.

If the user deletes the database then you have grounds to stand on that the user caused his own troubles and needs to restore the backup he is sure not to have made before deleting his own settings.

Bob S