Store to iCloud?

Wprothero
Folks,
I'm wondering if anybody has stored data on Apple's iCloud or iCloud Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want to support a database on my server.

I am about to look deeper into this, but if anybody has done this, advice would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Store to iCloud?

Bob Sneidar-2
On a Mac it's fairly easy if you are alreacy connecting to iCloud Drive. Just write a file to:

/Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/<your folder path here>

Not sure how to connect to an Icloud drive on Windows, but the process would be similar.

Bob S

On Oct 21, 2016, at 07:50 , Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Folks,
I'm wondering if anybody has stored data on Apple's iCloud or iCloud Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want to support a database on my server.

I am about to look deeper into this, but if anybody has done this, advice would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org<http://es.earthednet.org/>

Re: Store to iCloud?

Wprothero
Bob,
Thanks so much! I'll try it.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 7:57 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On a Mac it's fairly easy if you are alreacy connecting to iCloud Drive. Just write a file to:
>
> /Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/<your folder path here>
>
> Not sure how to connect to an Icloud drive on Windows, but the process would be similar.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 07:50 , Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Folks,
> I'm wondering if anybody has stored data on Apple's iCloud or iCloud Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want to support a database on my server.
>
> I am about to look deeper into this, but if anybody has done this, advice would be very much appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://es.earthednet.org<http://es.earthednet.org/>

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Store to iCloud?

Wprothero
Bob:
On my Mac, OS 10.11.6, it looks like the file path is
/Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/<your folder path here>

I don’t see the "com~apple!CloudDocs" folder. Am I missing something?
Bill

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 7:57 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On a Mac it's fairly easy if you are alreacy connecting to iCloud Drive. Just write a file to:
>
> /Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/<your folder path here>
>
> Not sure how to connect to an Icloud drive on Windows, but the process would be similar.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 07:50 , Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Folks,
> I'm wondering if anybody has stored data on Apple's iCloud or iCloud Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want to support a database on my server.
>
> I am about to look deeper into this, but if anybody has done this, advice would be very much appreciated.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://es.earthednet.org<http://es.earthednet.org/>

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Store to iCloud?

Wprothero
Bob:
My bad. It works if I use:
"/Users/prothero/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs” for the path.

It’s weird, because if you go to the folder, you don’t see the path using the finder. But, you can get the path if you duplicate the Mobil Documents folder, and all of the inside folders appear.

Thanks again.
Bill

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:25 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob:
> On my Mac, OS 10.11.6, it looks like the file path is
> /Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/<your folder path here>
>
> I don’t see the "com~apple!CloudDocs" folder. Am I missing something?
> Bill
>

>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 7:57 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On a Mac it's fairly easy if you are alreacy connecting to iCloud Drive. Just write a file to:
>>
>> /Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/<your folder path here>
>>
>> Not sure how to connect to an Icloud drive on Windows, but the process would be similar.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 07:50 , Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>> I'm wondering if anybody has stored data on Apple's iCloud or iCloud Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want to support a database on my server.
>>
>> I am about to look deeper into this, but if anybody has done this, advice would be very much appreciated.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero
>> http://es.earthednet.org<http://es.earthednet.org/>

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Store to iCloud?

Bob Sneidar-2
If you get info on the file or folder, then click the path in the dialog (it doesn't look like a path but click it anyway) then copy it, you can paste it into a text file and it will paste as the full path.

Bob S

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 13:15 , William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob:
> My bad. It works if I use:
> "/Users/prothero/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs” for the path.
>
> It’s weird, because if you go to the folder, you don’t see the path using the finder. But, you can get the path if you duplicate the Mobil Documents folder, and all of the inside folders appear.
>
> Thanks again.
> Bill
>
>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:25 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bob:
>> On my Mac, OS 10.11.6, it looks like the file path is
>> /Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/<your folder path here>
>>
>> I don’t see the "com~apple!CloudDocs" folder. Am I missing something?
>> Bill
>>

>>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 7:57 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On a Mac it's fairly easy if you are alreacy connecting to iCloud Drive. Just write a file to:
>>>
>>> /Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/<your folder path here>
>>>
>>> Not sure how to connect to an Icloud drive on Windows, but the process would be similar.
>>>
>>> Bob S
>>>

>>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 07:50 , Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>> I'm wondering if anybody has stored data on Apple's iCloud or iCloud Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want to support a database on my server.
>>>
>>> I am about to look deeper into this, but if anybody has done this, advice would be very much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William Prothero
>>> http://es.earthednet.org<http://es.earthednet.org/>

Re: Store to iCloud?

Wprothero
Bob,
Thanks for the info. Trying to implement this on my own is getting deeper into the bowels of Xcode than I want.

I looked at the api for Dropbox and fiddled with it a bit, but communicating with these api's is not in my area of expertise. I'd love to see some sample code. I looked at the dropbox stack that was distributed a year or so ago and it didn't work.

Perhaps the data sync tools that Todd is working on will get me started or, better yet, solve my problem.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:17 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you get info on the file or folder, then click the path in the dialog (it doesn't look like a path but click it anyway) then copy it, you can paste it into a text file and it will paste as the full path.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 13:15 , William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bob:
>> My bad. It works if I use:
>> "/Users/prothero/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs” for the path.
>>
>> It’s weird, because if you go to the folder, you don’t see the path using the finder. But, you can get the path if you duplicate the Mobil Documents folder, and all of the inside folders appear.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 12:25 PM, William Prothero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bob:
>>> On my Mac, OS 10.11.6, it looks like the file path is
>>> /Users/<your user name here>/Library/Mobile Documents/<your folder path here>
>>>
>>> I don’t see the "com~apple!CloudDocs" folder. Am I missing something?
>>> Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Store to iCloud?

Mike Kerner
Are you referring to the phoenix lib?  The documentation is pretty much in
order.  There is also the mergDropbox plugin that LC distributes, and
there's a Dropbox 2.0 API that is also out there.  We do all of our data
transfer between devices and desktops with dropbox, right now.  That's
across a bunch of apps and a pile of devices.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Bob,
> Thanks for the info. Trying to implement this on my own is getting deeper
> into the bowels of Xcode than I want.
>
> I looked at the api for Dropbox and fiddled with it a bit, but
> communicating with these api's is not in my area of expertise. I'd love to
> see some sample code. I looked at the dropbox stack that was distributed a
> year or so ago and it didn't work.
>
> Perhaps the data sync tools that Todd is working on will get me started
> or, better yet, solve my problem.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://es.earthednet.org
>
> > On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:17 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > If you get info on the file or folder, then click the path in the dialog
> (it doesn't look like a path but click it anyway) then copy it, you can
> paste it into a text file and it will paste as the full path.
> >
> > Bob S
> >

> >> On Oct 21, 2016, at 13:15 , William Prothero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Bob:
> >> My bad. It works if I use:
> >> "/Users/prothero/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs” for the
> path.
> >>
> >> It’s weird, because if you go to the folder, you don’t see the path
> using the finder. But, you can get the path if you duplicate the Mobil
> Documents folder, and all of the inside folders appear.
> >>
> >> Thanks again.
> >> Bill

> path here>

> Drive. Just write a file to:

> Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/<your folder path here>

> process would be similar.

> Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent
> between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want
> to support a database on my server.

> advice would be very much appreciated.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Store to iCloud?

Wprothero
Mike,
Thanks! I'll look into it.
Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:41 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you referring to the phoenix lib?  The documentation is pretty much in
> order.  There is also the mergDropbox plugin that LC distributes, and
> there's a Dropbox 2.0 API that is also out there.  We do all of our data
> transfer between devices and desktops with dropbox, right now.  That's
> across a bunch of apps and a pile of devices.
>

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Bob,
>> Thanks for the info. Trying to implement this on my own is getting deeper
>> into the bowels of Xcode than I want.
>>
>> I looked at the api for Dropbox and fiddled with it a bit, but
>> communicating with these api's is not in my area of expertise. I'd love to
>> see some sample code. I looked at the dropbox stack that was distributed a
>> year or so ago and it didn't work.
>>
>> Perhaps the data sync tools that Todd is working on will get me started
>> or, better yet, solve my problem.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>> William Prothero
>> http://es.earthednet.org
>>
>>> On Oct 24, 2016, at 8:17 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you get info on the file or folder, then click the path in the dialog
>> (it doesn't look like a path but click it anyway) then copy it, you can
>> paste it into a text file and it will paste as the full path.
>>>
>>> Bob S

>> path.

>> using the finder. But, you can get the path if you duplicate the Mobil
>> Documents folder, and all of the inside folders appear.

>> path here>

>> Drive. Just write a file to:

>> Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/<your folder path here>

>> process would be similar.

>> Drive. I have an app where I want the use entered data to be persistent
>> between upgrades, and accessible between multiple devices, but don't want
>> to support a database on my server.

>> advice would be very much appreciated.

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."