Strange mailing list email.

Peter Haworth
I received an email last night that my membership in this list had been
suspended due to "excessive bounces" and the last bounce received from me
was yesterday.  I'm pretty sure from various things in the email that it
was a genuine email and not some phishing attempt.

I'm not sure exactly what this means since all my posts seem to have turned
up on the list just fine and as far as I can tell I'm seeing everyone
else's posts.  And I have not received any emails indicating that my emails
have bounced.

There was a link in the email to re-enable my membership which I did but
has anyone else had these messages?  I also emailed Heather about it but
haven't heard back yet.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Strange mailing list email.

xtalkprogrammer
Pter,

You said you're not seeing my e-mails, so probably you don't read this.
It looks like you have an overzealous spam filter in place.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Installer Maker for LiveCode:
http://qery.us/468

http://qery.us/3fi

LiveCode on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/runrev/

On 8/27/2014 18:30, Peter Haworth wrote:

> I received an email last night that my membership in this list had been
> suspended due to "excessive bounces" and the last bounce received from me
> was yesterday.  I'm pretty sure from various things in the email that it
> was a genuine email and not some phishing attempt.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what this means since all my posts seem to have turned
> up on the list just fine and as far as I can tell I'm seeing everyone
> else's posts.  And I have not received any emails indicating that my emails
> have bounced.
>
> There was a link in the email to re-enable my membership which I did but
> has anyone else had these messages?  I also emailed Heather about it but
> haven't heard back yet.
>
> Pete

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553
jbv

revXMLDeleteNode and LC server

jbv
Hi list

I have a script using revXMLDeleteNode that runs fine on OSX
and LC 6.5.2, but with LC server I get the error
Handler: can't find handler (revXMLDeleteNode)

The dictonary for LC 6.5.2 says for revXMLDeleteNode :
Platforms: Desktop, Server, Web and Mobile

I've googled the problem but the only thing I found is this link
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/6_5_0/LiveCodeNotes-6_5_0_dp_2.pdf
which says "The entry for revXMLDeleteNode (command) has been updated"
without any further detail...

Any idea how to delete a xml node in LC server ?

Thanks
jbv

Re: revXMLDeleteNode and LC server

Simon Smith-2
Hi

revXMLDeleteNode requires the XML Library which does not seem to be
included as part of the LC Server (along with other the other libraries) -
so while the dictionary does say it is supported by the server, this does
not seem to be access or add the needed libraries currently. Hope I am wrong -
would also like to know if its possible.

Kind Regards
Simon

jbv

Re: revXMLDeleteNode and LC server

jbv
Simon,
Actually when I say LC server it's actually my account at on-rev.
Obviously the XML library is included since other commands like
revXMLRootNode, revXMLChildNames, revXMLNodeContents etc
work perfectly in the same script...
The problem seems to be limited to revXMLDeleteNode...

jbv

> Hi
>
> revXMLDeleteNode requires the XML Library which does not seem to be
> included as part of the LC Server (along with other the other libraries) -
> so while the dictionary does say it is supported by the server, this does
> not seem to be access or add the needed libraries currently. Hope I am
> wrong -
> would also like to know if its possible.
>
> Kind Regards
> Simon
>

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I have a script using revXMLDeleteNode that runs fine on OSX
>> and LC 6.5.2, but with LC server I get the error
>> Handler: can't find handler (revXMLDeleteNode)
>>
>> The dictonary for LC 6.5.2 says for revXMLDeleteNode :
>> Platforms: Desktop, Server, Web and Mobile
>>
>> I've googled the problem but the only thing I found is this link
>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/6_5_0/LiveCodeNotes-6_5_0_dp_2.pdf
>> which says "The entry for revXMLDeleteNode (command) has been updated"
>> without any further detail...
>>
>> Any idea how to delete a xml node in LC server ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> jbv

Re: revXMLDeleteNode and LC server

Simon Smith-2
Helps if I test it first

Tried ony my lc server - seems to work fine.

Simon

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simon,
> Actually when I say LC server it's actually my account at on-rev.
> Obviously the XML library is included since other commands like
> revXMLRootNode, revXMLChildNames, revXMLNodeContents etc
> work perfectly in the same script...
> The problem seems to be limited to revXMLDeleteNode...
>
> jbv
>

> > Hi
> >
> > revXMLDeleteNode requires the XML Library which does not seem to be
> > included as part of the LC Server (along with other the other libraries)
> -
> > so while the dictionary does say it is supported by the server, this does
> > not seem to be access or add the needed libraries currently. Hope I am
> > wrong -
> > would also like to know if its possible.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Simon
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi list
> >>
> >> I have a script using revXMLDeleteNode that runs fine on OSX
> >> and LC 6.5.2, but with LC server I get the error
> >> Handler: can't find handler (revXMLDeleteNode)
> >>
> >> The dictonary for LC 6.5.2 says for revXMLDeleteNode :
> >> Platforms: Desktop, Server, Web and Mobile
> >>
> >> I've googled the problem but the only thing I found is this link
> >>
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/6_5_0/LiveCodeNotes-6_5_0_dp_2.pdf
> >> which says "The entry for revXMLDeleteNode (command) has been updated"
> >> without any further detail...
> >>
> >> Any idea how to delete a xml node in LC server ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> jbv

Re: Strange mailing list email.

Alain Farmer
Yes, Peter, this is happening to me regularly (2-3 times per week).
Exactly as you described.

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:30:36 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

I received an email last night that my membership in this list had been
suspended due to "excessive bounces" and the last bounce received from me
was yesterday.  I'm pretty sure from various things in the email that it
was a genuine email and not some phishing attempt.

I'm not sure exactly what this means since all my posts seem to have turned
up on the list just fine and as far as I can tell I'm seeing everyone
else's posts.  And I have not received any emails indicating that my emails
have bounced.

There was a link in the email to re-enable my membership which I did but
has anyone else had these messages?  I also emailed Heather about it but
haven't heard back yet.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Strange mailing list email.

dunbarxx
I get this sort of thing about once a week. It is legit, though annoying. I keep having to renew my membership from a link supplied in the eMail.

Craig Newman

You said you're not seeing my e-mails, so probably you don't read this.
It looks like you have an overzealous spam filter in place.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Installer Maker for LiveCode:
http://qery.us/468

http://qery.us/3fi

LiveCode on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/runrev/

On 8/27/2014 18:30, Peter Haworth wrote:

> I received an email last night that my membership in this list had been
> suspended due to "excessive bounces" and the last bounce received from me
> was yesterday.  I'm pretty sure from various things in the email that it
> was a genuine email and not some phishing attempt.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what this means since all my posts seem to have turned
> up on the list just fine and as far as I can tell I'm seeing everyone
> else's posts.  And I have not received any emails indicating that my emails
> have bounced.
>
> There was a link in the email to re-enable my membership which I did but
> has anyone else had these messages?  I also emailed Heather about it but
> haven't heard back yet.
>
> Pete

Re: Strange mailing list email.

niconiko
Months back or maybe even last year, I had to set a gmail filter so that
some members' list-messages came through despite being marked as spam.
Alain Farmer's and Craig Newman's are such two. There may be others too
(not Peter Haworth's).

For what it's worth.

--
Nicolas Cueto

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I get this sort of thing about once a week. It is legit, though annoying.
> I keep having to renew my membership from a link supplied in the eMail.
>

> Craig Newman

Kay C Lan
On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Nicolas Cueto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Months back or maybe even last year, I had to set a gmail filter so that
> some members' list-messages came through despite being marked as spam.
> Alain Farmer's and Craig Newman's are such two. There may be others too
> (not Peter Haworth's).

Same here, all of Craig's emails end up in my Spam as do most, but not
all of Alain's. Peter's did this once, but I think only because it's
part of this thread.

Sorry, I should rephrase that. Gmail puts them in my Spam, as I'm keen
to read all of Craig's, Alain's and Peter's contributions I take them
out of Spam, read them, label them appropriately and save for future
reference. Don't wont you to get the wrong impression ;-)

Re: Strange mailing list email.

dunbarxx
I just got another notice that my list membership had been disabled due excessive bounces. Happens weekly.

Not sure why.

Craig

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Nicolas Cueto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Months back or maybe even last year, I had to set a gmail filter so that
> some members' list-messages came through despite being marked as spam.
> Alain Farmer's and Craig Newman's are such two. There may be others too
> (not Peter Haworth's).

Same here, all of Craig's emails end up in my Spam as do most, but not
all of Alain's. Peter's did this once, but I think only because it's
part of this thread.

Sorry, I should rephrase that. Gmail puts them in my Spam, as I'm keen
to read all of Craig's, Alain's and Peter's contributions I take them
out of Spam, read them, label them appropriately and save for future
reference. Don't wont you to get the wrong impression ;-)

Re: Strange mailing list email.

pmbrig
On Aug 29, 2014, at 12:34 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:

> Sorry, I should rephrase that. Gmail puts them in my Spam, as I'm keen
> to read all of Craig's, Alain's and Peter's contributions I take them
> out of Spam, read them, label them appropriately and save for future
> reference. Don't wont you to get the wrong impression ;-)

I just discovered that I was missing messages for the same reason -- gmail was putting some of them in the spam folder. Here's what I did:
1. click the down arrow at the right end of the search field at the top of the gmail window
2. enter search criteria that identify all the use-livecode messages. I ended up entering "[hidden email]" in the "has the words" field -- and nothing in any of the other fields
3. click the search button, and check that you are seeing all the list messages
4. click the "create filter with this search" link
5. check the "never send to spam" checkbox
6. (optionally, choose a label or a category to apply to the messages)
7. I also checked the "apply filter to matching messages" checkbox, which I *think* applies this rule to all existing received messages (the wording could be better)
8. click the "create filter" button

I believe this will take care of the problem once and for all.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
[hidden email]
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

Re: Strange mailing list email.

Richmond Mathewson-2

On 29.08.2014 15:54, Peter M. Brigham wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2014, at 12:34 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I should rephrase that. Gmail puts them in my Spam, as I'm keen
>> to read all of Craig's, Alain's and Peter's contributions I take them
>> out of Spam, read them, label them appropriately and save for future
>> reference. Don't wont you to get the wrong impression ;-)
> I just discovered that I was missing messages for the same reason -- gmail was putting some of them in the spam folder. Here's what I did:
> 1. click the down arrow at the right end of the search field at the top of the gmail window
> 2. enter search criteria that identify all the use-livecode messages. I ended up entering "[hidden email]" in the "has the words" field -- and nothing in any of the other fields
> 3. click the search button, and check that you are seeing all the list messages
> 4. click the "create filter with this search" link
> 5. check the "never send to spam" checkbox
> 6. (optionally, choose a label or a category to apply to the messages)
> 7. I also checked the "apply filter to matching messages" checkbox, which I *think* applies this rule to all existing received messages (the wording could be better)
> 8. click the "create filter" button
>
> I believe this will take care of the problem once and for all.
>
> -- Peter
>
> Peter M. Brigham
> [hidden email]
> http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

If one is using a dedicated e-mail client such as Thunderbird that
doesn't seem quite so easy.

One has to make sure one's custom filter runs BEFORE the client's
inbuilt junk filters.

Re: Strange mailing list email.

J. Landman Gay
I'm pretty sure it's AOL.  Their spam filters are excessive, I've had clients with AOL addresses I couldn't write to if my email contained certain trigger words. If there's a way to set up a white list it would probably help.

On August 29, 2014 7:30:05 AM CDT, [hidden email] wrote:

>I just got another notice that my list membership had been disabled due
>excessive bounces. Happens weekly.
>

>Not sure why.
>
>Craig

The article I linked to explains what's going on.  Pretty technical but
bottom line is that Yahoo and AOL changed their rules about what happens
when another mail server decides a message is spam.

There's a protocol (DMARC?) that mail servers use to ask the sending server
what they should do with messages that look like spam.  Yahoo and AOL
changed their response to that query a few weeks back from "do nothing" to
"bounce".

Under the "do nothing" rule, the receiving mail server was then free to do
whatever it usually does with spam.  Under the "bounce" rule, they bounce
the message back to the sending server (silently, meaning the sender
doesn't get a bounce message).

I guess messages to lists such as ours get caught in this  because of the
way the headers are changed by the list server software. Most receiving
servers recognize those changes and don't classify them as spam but the
DMARC rules take precedence over that.

Nobody seems to know why Yahoo and AOL did this but speculation is that
they suffered massive hack attacks that resulted in their users address
books being stolen.

I think messages ending up on the gmail spam folder are a separate issue.
 They're not getting bounced under the above scenario, they're just getting
caught in gMail's spam detection algorithms. I use gMail and very
occasionaly a message to the list used to go to my spam folder before I set
up a filter similar to Peter Brigham's

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 8:09 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it's AOL.  Their spam filters are excessive, I've had
> clients with AOL addresses I couldn't write to if my email contained
> certain trigger words. If there's a way to set up a white list it would
> probably help.
>
> On August 29, 2014 7:30:05 AM CDT, [hidden email] wrote:
> >I just got another notice that my list membership had been disabled due
> >excessive bounces. Happens weekly.
> >

> >Not sure why.
> >
> >Craig

mwieder
Pete-

Friday, August 29, 2014, 8:38:38 AM, you wrote:

> Nobody seems to know why Yahoo and AOL did this

Sorry to be blunt, but that's a pretty stupid statement. This is a
long-overdue move toward making the internet more secure and helping
eliminate spam relay points and ip spoofing by conforming to
long-established communications standards. The pain points that some
are feeling will result in aging software being replaced by more
secure versions and long-ignored patched and updates finally being
applied.

We can talk more in detail about this at the conference. It gets quite
geeky and OT for this list.

--
-Mark Wieder
 [hidden email]

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Strange mailing list email.

Peter Haworth
Not my statement, it was taken from the article I linked to.

Pete
lcSQL Software

Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:

> Not my statement, it was taken from the article I linked to.

OK. Maybe there's a missing email somewhere, but I haven't seen a link.
Whatever. No worries.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Strange mailing list email.

Peter Haworth
Yes, I think a new thread got started somewhere along the line. The link is
at:  http://tidbits.com/article/14843

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:
>
> > Not my statement, it was taken from the article I linked to.
>
> OK. Maybe there's a missing email somewhere, but I haven't seen a link.
> Whatever. No worries.
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Strange mailing list email.

Peter Haworth
Forgot to mention. Heather sent me that link in resonse to my question to
her about the original email I got.