Streaming video..

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Quick question.. I'm attempting to write a program to work with my
hdhomerun (networked tv streamer) and think i'm on track.. However, i'm not
sure if its possible to tell the player to open a udp connection on port
5000 and wait for the stream to come in. (apparently, I need to have it
ready to receive before I send the command to the hdhr)  Will the player do
this?  If not I'll probably end up using vnc as my player, but it would
sure be nice to have an all LC solution.  (maybe I can use the browser
widget.. hmmm.  )

Re: Streaming video..

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
IIRC, the engine passes 'proper urls' straight through to the OS framework - so if the URL plays in a browser then it should probably work in the engine.

If it doesn't, but does in a browser then you could try using a browser widget instead of a player?

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 13 Jan 2018, at 20:45, Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Quick question.. I'm attempting to write a program to work with my
> hdhomerun (networked tv streamer) and think i'm on track.. However, i'm not
> sure if its possible to tell the player to open a udp connection on port
> 5000 and wait for the stream to come in. (apparently, I need to have it
> ready to receive before I send the command to the hdhr)  Will the player do
> this?  If not I'll probably end up using vnc as my player, but it would
> sure be nice to have an all LC solution.  (maybe I can use the browser
> widget.. hmmm.  )

Re: Streaming video..

On 01/13/2018 12:45 PM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> Quick question.. I'm attempting to write a program to work with my
> hdhomerun (networked tv streamer) and think i'm on track.. However, i'm not
> sure if its possible to tell the player to open a udp connection on port
> 5000 and wait for the stream to come in. (apparently, I need to have it
> ready to receive before I send the command to the hdhr)  Will the player do
> this?  If not I'll probably end up using vnc as my player, but it would
> sure be nice to have an all LC solution.  (maybe I can use the browser
> widget.. hmmm.  )

I pipe my hdhomerun through a raspberry pi running osmc as my dvr. The
hdhomerun box itself has open-source drivers, if that helps you out.

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_development.pdf
https://github.com/mharsch/node-hdhomerun
https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hdhomerun

If I connect to the pi over the osmc web interface I can use a RESTful
connection over vlc to view live or saved videos. The format is

http://192.168.0.99/stream/channel/<id1>?ticket=<id2>

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but the easiest (and fun)
thing might be to put a pi on the network, use the hdhomerun driver for
osmc, and let it do the heavy lifting for you.

Re: Streaming video..

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Ty!  (both marks!)  I have managed to get vlc working, though not in the
manner I had hoped..

http://192.168.254.3:5004/auto/v7.1?transcode=mobile -- this will tune to
channel 7.1.  (I'll be trying your method momentarily)

It also finally clicked in my noggin that plex will work with the
hdhomerun, and now has the ability to stream live.  Since I already have
freenas set up with plex, I'm using that as my dvr/streamer interface for
now.  I'll definitely be looking into a pi setup too. (I have an orange pi
laying around that i'm not doing anything with)

As for passing a url that will work with vlc to the player object instead,
no joy getting that to work so far.