Quantcast

Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
So, here I am with Livecode 8.1.3 Indy (owing to the generosity of a
donor) which contains mergeBLE

I also own a floor-robot (Blue-Bot), know its UUID and have
complete documentation of commands accepted by the robot.

HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me work out HOW one would do this sort
of thing (pseudoCode):

send "AA 03 81 11 04 67" to Bluebot

so the robot would move FORWARD 1 unit.

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Have you looked at the mergBLE commands in the LC dictionary?

mergBLEConnectPeripheral pUUID

Monte will likely have the answers you seek.

~Roger

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, here I am with Livecode 8.1.3 Indy (owing to the generosity of a
> donor) which contains mergeBLE
>
> I also own a floor-robot (Blue-Bot), know its UUID and have
> complete documentation of commands accepted by the robot.
>
> HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me work out HOW one would do this sort
> of thing (pseudoCode):
>
> send "AA 03 81 11 04 67" to Bluebot
>
> so the robot would move FORWARD 1 unit.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
" All of the addons have full documentation making it a joy to use them
in your app."

Well I am unfortunately missing 2 things: "full" documentation
(extremely minimal in the LC Documentation stack),
and the "joy": te second as a consequence of the first.

Richmond.

On 4/23/17 10:59 pm, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:

> Have you looked at the mergBLE commands in the LC dictionary?
>
> mergBLEConnectPeripheral pUUID
>
> Monte will likely have the answers you seek.
>
> ~Roger
>

> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So, here I am with Livecode 8.1.3 Indy (owing to the generosity of a
>> donor) which contains mergeBLE
>>
>> I also own a floor-robot (Blue-Bot), know its UUID and have
>> complete documentation of commands accepted by the robot.
>>
>> HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me work out HOW one would do this sort
>> of thing (pseudoCode):
>>
>> send "AA 03 81 11 04 67" to Bluebot
>>
>> so the robot would move FORWARD 1 unit.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
You may find this alternative documention of all the functions more helpful in
this context:
http://mergext.com/home/mergble/

On 23/04/2017 21:56, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:

> " All of the addons have full documentation making it a joy to use them in
> your app."
>
> Well I am unfortunately missing 2 things: "full" documentation (extremely
> minimal in the LC Documentation stack),
> and the "joy": te second as a consequence of the first.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 4/23/17 10:59 pm, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
>> Have you looked at the mergBLE commands in the LC dictionary?
>>
>> mergBLEConnectPeripheral pUUID
>>
>> Monte will likely have the answers you seek.
>>
>> ~Roger
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> So, here I am with Livecode 8.1.3 Indy (owing to the generosity of a
>>> donor) which contains mergeBLE
>>>
>>> I also own a floor-robot (Blue-Bot), know its UUID and have
>>> complete documentation of commands accepted by the robot.
>>>
>>> HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me work out HOW one would do this sort
>>> of thing (pseudoCode):
>>>
>>> send "AA 03 81 11 04 67" to Bluebot
>>>
>>> so the robot would move FORWARD 1 unit.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

On 4/24/17 3:54 pm, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> You may find this alternative documention of all the functions more
> helpful in this context:
> http://mergext.com/home/mergble/

No, I don't.

Let us just suppose, for the moment, that I want to use a button to PAIR
my robot with my computer (not, perhaps,
strikingly original), I would imagine (as per that almost completely
unhelpful video) a button script something like this (pseudoCode):

on mouseUp
   scanForPeripheralsWithServices XXX
   put XXX into fld "gubbins"
end mouseUp

but that "alternative" thing does NOT give any information as to how one
might achieve that.

Then I might like to do this:

on mouseUp
    send signal[lots of hex numbers] to robot
end mouseUp

But its as clear as mud.

Richmond.

> On 23/04/2017 21:56, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
>> " All of the addons have full documentation making it a joy to use
>> them in
>> your app."
>>
>> Well I am unfortunately missing 2 things: "full" documentation
>> (extremely
>> minimal in the LC Documentation stack),
>> and the "joy": te second as a consequence of the first.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>> On 4/23/17 10:59 pm, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Have you looked at the mergBLE commands in the LC dictionary?
>>>
>>> mergBLEConnectPeripheral pUUID
>>>
>>> Monte will likely have the answers you seek.
>>>
>>> ~Roger

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Have you simply opened the sample mergBLE.livecode stack (buried in the
LiveCode bundle) on a Mac, making sure that you have bluetooth enabled
first?

If your robot is broadcasting its information, the mergBLE stack should at
least show you something like a name, among the names of other nearby
bluetooth devices.

~Roger

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/24/17 3:54 pm, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> You may find this alternative documention of all the functions more
>> helpful in this context:
>> http://mergext.com/home/mergble/
>>
>> No, I don't.
>
> Let us just suppose, for the moment, that I want to use a button to PAIR
> my robot with my computer (not, perhaps,
> strikingly original), I would imagine (as per that almost completely
> unhelpful video) a button script something like this (pseudoCode):
>
> on mouseUp
>   scanForPeripheralsWithServices XXX
>   put XXX into fld "gubbins"
> end mouseUp
>
> but that "alternative" thing does NOT give any information as to how one
> might achieve that.
>
> Then I might like to do this:
>
> on mouseUp
>    send signal[lots of hex numbers] to robot
> end mouseUp
>
> But its as clear as mud.
>
> Richmond.
>

>> On 23/04/2017 21:56, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> " All of the addons have full documentation making it a joy to use them
>>> in
>>> your app."
>>>
>>> Well I am unfortunately missing 2 things: "full" documentation (extremely
>>> minimal in the LC Documentation stack),
>>> and the "joy": te second as a consequence of the first.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Does anybody do pairing in software?  I have only ever had pairing happen
at the hardware level - in the settings or control panels

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you simply opened the sample mergBLE.livecode stack (buried in the
> LiveCode bundle) on a Mac, making sure that you have bluetooth enabled
> first?
>
> If your robot is broadcasting its information, the mergBLE stack should at
> least show you something like a name, among the names of other nearby
> bluetooth devices.
>
> ~Roger
>

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 4/24/17 3:54 pm, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> >
> >> You may find this alternative documention of all the functions more
> >> helpful in this context:
> >> http://mergext.com/home/mergble/
> >>
> >> No, I don't.
> >
> > Let us just suppose, for the moment, that I want to use a button to PAIR
> > my robot with my computer (not, perhaps,
> > strikingly original), I would imagine (as per that almost completely
> > unhelpful video) a button script something like this (pseudoCode):
> >
> > on mouseUp
> >   scanForPeripheralsWithServices XXX
> >   put XXX into fld "gubbins"
> > end mouseUp
> >
> > but that "alternative" thing does NOT give any information as to how one
> > might achieve that.
> >
> > Then I might like to do this:
> >
> > on mouseUp
> >    send signal[lots of hex numbers] to robot
> > end mouseUp
> >
> > But its as clear as mud.
> >
> > Richmond.

> (extremely

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
On my Macintosh, when I have my mBot robot recognised by Bluetooth lets
me see the following
in mergBLE 1.1.15:

This demo both scans for and advertises the service and characteristics
below along with a random read only characteristic.
Run it on two devices and you should be able to move the slider on each
device and see the changes on the other device.
Each device will act as both peripheral and central.

Central : unsupported
Peripheral : powered on
Service 47EC425E-633F-4F04-9A65-DEDEB (rest unreadable because field is
too short)
Connections
Central 0372A886-E203-415E-A94A-40-C9D11606
Peripheral Monte's iPhone

which has Nix to do with this:

An Android tablet I have tells me the UUID numbers for the mBot are:

Custom service: 0000FFE1-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB

and

Custom service: 0000FFE4-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB

So, no "joy" at all.

Richmond.

On 4/24/17 9:49 pm, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:

> Have you simply opened the sample mergBLE.livecode stack (buried in the
> LiveCode bundle) on a Mac, making sure that you have bluetooth enabled
> first?
>
> If your robot is broadcasting its information, the mergBLE stack should at
> least show you something like a name, among the names of other nearby
> bluetooth devices.
>
> ~Roger
>

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 4/24/17 3:54 pm, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> You may find this alternative documention of all the functions more
>>> helpful in this context:
>>> http://mergext.com/home/mergble/
>>>
>>> No, I don't.
>> Let us just suppose, for the moment, that I want to use a button to PAIR
>> my robot with my computer (not, perhaps,
>> strikingly original), I would imagine (as per that almost completely
>> unhelpful video) a button script something like this (pseudoCode):
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>    scanForPeripheralsWithServices XXX
>>    put XXX into fld "gubbins"
>> end mouseUp
>>
>> but that "alternative" thing does NOT give any information as to how one
>> might achieve that.
>>
>> Then I might like to do this:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>     send signal[lots of hex numbers] to robot
>> end mouseUp
>>
>> But its as clear as mud.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
"The MergExt suite of externals now comes as part of your LiveCode
license. To use the externals you'll need to download the latest MergExt
bundle (using the link below) and be using at least LiveCode
8.0.0-dp-15, 7.1.3-rc-1 or 6.7.10-rc-1.

"To start using the externals, unzip the MergExt download and you will
see that you have a folder for each external, which contains a demo and
an lcext file. You need to add this lcext file to the copy files pane in
your LiveCode *standalone settings* to start using that particular
external in your app."

Does that mean a one-time exercise, or that one has to include the
.lcext in the standalones settings for each stack one wishes to
use it in?

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

On 4/28/17 2:05 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:

> "The MergExt suite of externals now comes as part of your LiveCode
> license. To use the externals you'll need to download the latest MergExt
> bundle (using the link below) and be using at least LiveCode
> 8.0.0-dp-15, 7.1.3-rc-1 or 6.7.10-rc-1.
>
> "To start using the externals, unzip the MergExt download and you will
> see that you have a folder for each external, which contains a demo and
> an lcext file. You need to add this lcext file to the copy files pane in
> your LiveCode *standalone settings* to start using that particular
> external in your app."
>
> Does that mean a one-time exercise, or that one has to include the
> .lcext in the standalones settings for each stack one wishes to
> use it in?

Like any other inclusion, it needs to be copied to the standalone when
it is built. If the standalone opens other mainstacks, those don't need
inclusions, only the app stack needs them. You only have to do this once
and standalone settings will remember.

If you build a standalone from an entirely different stack, then you'd
need to copy the external to that one too as part of the normal
standalone settings setup.

Re: Stupid Q No 999: mergeBLE

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Presumably (?) "unsupported" in
field "central state" means
"Richmond's up a gum tree" until he lays
his sweaty paws on something that runs Mac OS 10.9 or later.