Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Both venting and seeking advice.

Actually submitting an app to iTunes Connect is not easy, to put it mildly.

I am getting an error...

The executable 'Payload/Augmented Earth.app/Augmented Earth' must be signed with the certificate that is contained in the provisioning profile.

I have no idea how it could be wrong. The distribution provisioning profile seems correct to me. Is there a step I am missing? I thought I was following the steps outlined on the LC site.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Are you using an App Store Distribution profile? Was its certificate your Distribution one?

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Both venting and seeking advice.
>
> Actually submitting an app to iTunes Connect is not easy, to put it mildly.
>
> I am getting an error...
>
> The executable 'Payload/Augmented Earth.app/Augmented Earth' must be signed with the certificate that is contained in the provisioning profile.
>
> I have no idea how it could be wrong. The distribution provisioning profile seems correct to me. Is there a step I am missing? I thought I was following the steps outlined on the LC site.

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi Colin,

Yes and yes

Do we need to sign the actual file after it is created? I thought that happened when we created to executable from LC.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 10:05 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are you using an App Store Distribution profile? Was its certificate your Distribution one?
>

>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Both venting and seeking advice.
>>
>> Actually submitting an app to iTunes Connect is not easy, to put it mildly.
>>
>> I am getting an error...
>>
>> The executable 'Payload/Augmented Earth.app/Augmented Earth' must be signed with the certificate that is contained in the provisioning profile.
>>
>> I have no idea how it could be wrong. The distribution provisioning profile seems correct to me. Is there a step I am missing? I thought I was following the steps outlined on the LC site.

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
You choose a profile in Standalone Application Settings. There’s a danger of picking an old one. See discussions like this on how to remove out of date ones:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26732251/how-to-remove-provisioning-profiles-from-xcode

It should have a certificate associated with it, and unless you recently resubscribed it ought to work.

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 7:30 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Colin,
>
> Yes and yes
>
> Do we need to sign the actual file after it is created? I thought that happened when we created to executable from LC.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 10:05 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Are you using an App Store Distribution profile? Was its certificate your Distribution one?
>>

>>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Both venting and seeking advice.
>>>
>>> Actually submitting an app to iTunes Connect is not easy, to put it mildly.
>>>
>>> I am getting an error...
>>>
>>> The executable 'Payload/Augmented Earth.app/Augmented Earth' must be signed with the certificate that is contained in the provisioning profile.
>>>
>>> I have no idea how it could be wrong. The distribution provisioning profile seems correct to me. Is there a step I am missing? I thought I was following the steps outlined on the LC site.

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I created a new profile just for this - still get the same error.

After that I tried manually codesigning, but then I got the same error again.

Any other ideas? And thanks for taking the time on this - it is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 10:35 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You choose a profile in Standalone Application Settings. There’s a danger of picking an old one. See discussions like this on how to remove out of date ones:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26732251/how-to-remove-provisioning-profiles-from-xcode
>
> It should have a certificate associated with it, and unless you recently resubscribed it ought to work.
>
>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 7:30 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> Yes and yes
>>
>> Do we need to sign the actual file after it is created? I thought that happened when we created to executable from LC.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 10:05 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you using an App Store Distribution profile? Was its certificate your Distribution one?

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Okay. - I got it submitted :)

I had revoked an older certificate to make sure I was using the right one, but that certificate was still in the key chain.

Fingers crossed they like it on the first try.

Sorry for my hidden curse word there - it was just one of those moments.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 11:01 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I created a new profile just for this - still get the same error.
>
> After that I tried manually codesigning, but then I got the same error again.
>
> Any other ideas? And thanks for taking the time on this - it is much appreciated.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 10:35 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You choose a profile in Standalone Application Settings. There’s a danger of picking an old one. See discussions like this on how to remove out of date ones:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26732251/how-to-remove-provisioning-profiles-from-xcode
>>
>> It should have a certificate associated with it, and unless you recently resubscribed it ought to work.
>>
>>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 7:30 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Colin,
>>>
>>> Yes and yes
>>>
>>> Do we need to sign the actual file after it is created? I thought that happened when we created to executable from LC.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Apple are far too restrictive and far too big for their boots,
especially if one considers that they probably have about 7% of the
desktop computing market.

Richmond.

On 7/5/17 5:02 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:

> Both venting and seeking advice.
>
> Actually submitting an app to iTunes Connect is not easy, to put it mildly.
>
> I am getting an error...
>
> The executable 'Payload/Augmented Earth.app/Augmented Earth' must be signed with the certificate that is contained in the provisioning profile.
>
> I have no idea how it could be wrong. The distribution provisioning profile seems correct to me. Is there a step I am missing? I thought I was following the steps outlined on the LC site.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Ah yes - one of the biggest GOTCHA’s there is when working on Apple certification…

I’ve found the best approach is to keep my dev machine scrupulously clean as regards old certificates, and a session with Keychain Access pays dividends.

The same thing goes as regards old provisioning profiles - you should find all provisioning profiles on your mac stored at '/Users/<userName./Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles’. Regular cleaning out of that folder and then using Xcode to pull down fresh copies is the way to go

In general ‘good hygiene’ with your certificates and profiles is necessary and will prevent much head thumping, cursing, gnashing of teeth and tears at bedtime :)

And finally, I’ve found it best to keep old copies of Xcode on my machine in their own sub-folder (individually named) in the Applications folder whilst keeping the executable named “Xcode.app”

Kind regards

Dave

> Okay. - I got it submitted :)
>
> I had revoked an older certificate to make sure I was using the right one, but that certificate was still in the key chain.
>
> Fingers crossed they like it on the first try.
>
> Sorry for my hidden curse word there - it was just one of those moments.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jul 4, 2017, at 11:01 PM, [hidden email] <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4716597&i=0> wrote:
> >
> > I created a new profile just for this - still get the same error.
> >
> > After that I tried manually codesigning, but then I got the same error again.
> >
> > Any other ideas? And thanks for taking the time on this - it is much appreciated.

> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Jul 4, 2017, at 10:35 PM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email] <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4716597&i=1>> wrote:
> >>
> >> You choose a profile in Standalone Application Settings. There’s a danger of picking an old one. See discussions like this on how to remove out of date ones:
> >>
> >> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26732251/how-to-remove-provisioning-profiles-from-xcode <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26732251/how-to-remove-provisioning-profiles-from-xcode>
> >>
> >> It should have a certificate associated with it, and unless you recently resubscribed it ought to work.

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Good points Dave, I will do those things

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 5:03 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah yes - one of the biggest GOTCHA’s there is when working on Apple certification…
>
> I’ve found the best approach is to keep my dev machine scrupulously clean as regards old certificates, and a session with Keychain Access pays dividends.
>
> The same thing goes as regards old provisioning profiles - you should find all provisioning profiles on your mac stored at '/Users/<userName./Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles’. Regular cleaning out of that folder and then using Xcode to pull down fresh copies is the way to go
>
> In general ‘good hygiene’ with your certificates and profiles is necessary and will prevent much head thumping, cursing, gnashing of teeth and tears at bedtime :)
>
> And finally, I’ve found it best to keep old copies of Xcode on my machine in their own sub-folder (individually named) in the Applications folder whilst keeping the executable named “Xcode.app”
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave
>

>> Okay. - I got it submitted :)
>>
>> I had revoked an older certificate to make sure I was using the right one, but that certificate was still in the key chain.
>>
>> Fingers crossed they like it on the first try.
>>
>> Sorry for my hidden curse word there - it was just one of those moments.

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 4, 2017, at 11:01 PM, [hidden email] <http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4716597&i=0> wrote:
>>>
>>> I created a new profile just for this - still get the same error.
>>>
>>> After that I tried manually codesigning, but then I got the same error again.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas? And thanks for taking the time on this - it is much appreciated.

>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Submitting to the #%^%#? App Store

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
But I have yet to get any malware on my Apple iPhone. So if fitting snugly into their boots means I have to worry about something holding my iPhone hostage for bitcoin, then I think we just need to get Apple bigger boots.

Bob S