Quantcast

Suggestions for LiveCode (the company) to increase its revenue

Suggestions for LiveCode (the company) to increase its revenue

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Everyone who uses LiveCode benefits if the company grows and thus is able to improve the product faster.

I thought some of us might have original ideas that could help the company. If nothing else, we might give them useful ideas.

So...

1. What offerings would you pay for, in addition to any licensing fees?

2. Do you have any clever ideas for new revenue streams?

3. What modifications to the main product would, in your opinion, make the product appealing to a larger customer base?

I encourage everyone to make suggestions. Here are some from me:

1. I would pay more for a promotional system for the apps we make, mainly because I suck at marketing. I don't know what this would entail.

2. I suggest a core suite of business applications. The executable would be a player application that plays LC stacks. The company could sell the suite and LC developers could sell their services in making modifications or additional apps to go with the core suite.

3. I am broken record on this issue, but I really think that if LC supercharged the browser widget, they could provide a great platform (better than the current options) for JavaScript developers to make standalone apps.

What suggestions do you have?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Suggestions for LiveCode (the company) to increase its revenue

tbodine
Code signing can be a major pain point. Adding code-signing features to Livecode (or in a supplemental tool) could be a selling point for Indy and Business license users. I pay about $50 annually for a third-party code-signing tool subscription on the Mac platform.

LiveCode Ltd may able be able to become a third-party Comodo certificate reseller and make ongoing revenue by providing that service.

Tom B.

Re: Suggestions for LiveCode (the company) to increase its revenue

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I would pay for that right now, if LC provided code signing.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 16, 2017, at 11:20 AM, tbodine via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Code signing can be a major pain point. Adding code-signing features to
> Livecode (or in a supplemental tool) could be a selling point for Indy and
> Business license users. I pay about $50 annually for a third-party
> code-signing tool subscription on the Mac platform.
>
> LiveCode Ltd may able be able to become a third-party Comodo certificate
> reseller and make ongoing revenue by providing that service.
>
> Tom B.

Re: Suggestions for LiveCode (the company) to increase its revenue

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Me too - I have found the whole process to be irritating and messy. As I have ranted before, deployment issues are really huge for people who see software design and programming as what they do, and having made their software function, just want to deliver it. But to do that, you have to hack your way through the deployment jungle, of which code signing is just a part. So, if LC can make all that easier and make a bit of money doing it, they will certainly get my vote.

Graham

> On 16 Apr 2017, at 17:40, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I would pay for that right now, if LC provided code signing.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 16, 2017, at 11:20 AM, tbodine via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Code signing can be a major pain point. Adding code-signing features to
>> Livecode (or in a supplemental tool) could be a selling point for Indy and
>> Business license users. I pay about $50 annually for a third-party
>> code-signing tool subscription on the Mac platform.
>>
>> LiveCode Ltd may able be able to become a third-party Comodo certificate
>> reseller and make ongoing revenue by providing that service.
>>
>> Tom B.

Re: Suggestions for LiveCode (the company) to increase its revenue

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Allowing non hacky 2 way communication with JavaScript via lc browser is a
potentially huge win should it ever happen.  Every time I come across
technical discussion of making web apps for the desktop there is a huge
chorus or discontent with the currently most viable option Electron - an
inefficient bloated memory hog basically. With the right pitch livecode
could make inroads there.

Separately a revenue suggestion is to make the business license offering
less about minor features that are missing from indy ( groan) and more
about business support features. That's what businesses look for when
investing in any kind of technology platform / equipment  and is pretty
much the only real differentiator of substance that would justify the
monetary upgrade from indy.  Seems to get a footnote.

Gamifying business support with a"points" system is also needlessly obtuse.
It should be no nonsense and straight forward. X amount buys this many
hours for y per month etc.