TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
I'm still thinking about sessions for LCG.  One of the suggestions I had
seen was an intro on tool x.  How about a tools roundup?  Names and URL's
for your favorite LC tools go in this thread, please.  More is better so I
don't leave anyone out.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
On 4/3/2018 10:33 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> I'm still thinking about sessions for LCG.  One of the suggestions I had
> seen was an intro on tool x.  How about a tools roundup?  Names and URL's
> for your favorite LC tools go in this thread, please.  More is better so I
> don't leave anyone out.

Mike,

I have a "tool" that I use a lot that I am happy to share. It is not an
IDE plugin, just a stack that will build a text file of the scripts of
all of the open (non-IDE) stacks (except itself). I find it helpful to
have a text file of all my apps scripts for reference. I have no idea if
any other would find it useful. I suspect for those who do they already
have better versions of such a tool they created. Any way, I'm happy to
email it to you if you like. Just send me a direct email an let me know.

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hey, Paul,
this account works fine:  [hidden email] (but so do any of the
other addresses that any of you have for me, since I have...a couple...)
If you or someone else has one of my other addresses, those work as well.

One caveat for anyone who jumps in on this:  A tool doesn't do anyone any
good if they can't get it, so we would need to know either how to get a
hold of the author, or how to get the tool in question.

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
Paul,

I would like it.  Maybe you can upload the stack to Revonline too.

Thank you,
Marc

On Apr 3, 2018, at 11:30 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

On 4/3/2018 10:33 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
I'm still thinking about sessions for LCG.  One of the suggestions I had
seen was an intro on tool x.  How about a tools roundup?  Names and URL's
for your favorite LC tools go in this thread, please.  More is better so I
don't leave anyone out.

Mike,

I have a "tool" that I use a lot that I am happy to share. It is not an
IDE plugin, just a stack that will build a text file of the scripts of
all of the open (non-IDE) stacks (except itself). I find it helpful to
have a text file of all my apps scripts for reference. I have no idea if
any other would find it useful. I suspect for those who do they already
have better versions of such a tool they created. Any way, I'm happy to
email it to you if you like. Just send me a direct email an let me know.

---------------
Marc Siskin
Manager, Modern Language Resource Center
Carnegie Mellon University
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
Mike & Marc,

You can find the tool at
http://www.researchware.com/livecode/rwScriptReporter141016.livecode

It is not fancy, nor elegant, but I have found I use it regularly to
create a text file of the script of our 100K+ line LiveCode app and
often have the text file of the scripts open to search and copy lines of
code from it into objects that I am working on in the IDE or simply to
search for a look up any oen of the hundreds of functions and commands
that are internal APIs for our application.

Anyone is welcome to use this code in any way they like. If someone make
a really slick version of this, please let me know.

The Table of Contents feature works pretty well. The index still needs
some tweaking to make it more useful that it currently is.

-- Paul

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
I can see that stack being very useful. If I make any good changes I’ll let
you know. I’m thinking that listing behaviors in the index would be useful.

On 4/22/2018 11:22 PM, Brian Milby wrote:
> I can see that stack being very useful. If I make any good changes
> I’ll let you know. I’m thinking that listing behaviors in the index
> would be useful.

And there in lies one of the main issues with home made tools (like my
script reporter) in that people make them for only what they need and I
rarely find myself using behaviors ;-)

Some day though, I will probably have cause to really make use of
behaviors and then find myself adding information on which object have
an associated behavior. Actually, if I remember, I;'ll do it the next
time I am modifying the stack since that is actually pretty easy to add:

if the behavior of <an object> is not empty then put the behavior of <an
object>... (into the report)

-- Paul

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hi.

My most useful gadget is a very simple plug-in. It toggles the Browse and
Pointer tools when right-clicking my mouse:

on rawKeyUp tKey
if (tKey = 65473 and the tool = "browse tool") then choose "pointer tool"
else choose "browse tool"
end rawKeyUp

Craig Newman

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hi Craig,

That does sound handy. But for me, key 65473 references F4 rather than the right mouse button. Did I read your message correctly?

When I have the the Pointer Tool selected and right-click the mouse, I get an LC  contextual menu.

I just put your handler in the stack script. Will that make a difference compared to using it as a plug-in?

MacOS 10.12.6
LC 8.1.8

randy hengst
-----

> On Apr 23, 2018, at 10:11 AM, dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> My most useful gadget is a very simple plug-in. It toggles the Browse and
> Pointer tools when right-clicking my mouse:
>

> on rawKeyUp tKey
> if (tKey = 65473 and the tool = "browse tool") then choose "pointer tool"
> else choose "browse tool"
> end rawKeyUp
>
> Craig Newman
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
Randy.

There must be something different in our setups. All I did was write a
rawkeyUp handler to return the value of my mouse's right-click. Either you
get a different value with that action, or something in your machine is
intercepting that "message" before LC does.

Craig

On 4/23/18 12:04 PM, dunbarx via use-livecode wrote:
> There must be something different in our setups. All I did was write a
> rawkeyUp handler to return the value of my mouse's right-click. Either you
> get a different value with that action, or something in your machine is
> intercepting that "message" before LC does.

The right-click contextual menu has been in LC forever. It's always
available when using the edit tool, for the browse tool you need to add
some supporting keyboard presses (Cmd-control-shift.) The contextual
menu has lots of handy items, I particularly like "Paste into group"
which is a nice time-saver.

I use Control-tab to toggle between edit and browse tools. That combo
was recently implemented in the script editor, but that's fine, it still
works when a stack is frontmost.

Re: TOOLS ROUNDUP! TOOLS ROUNDUP!

dunbarx via use-livecode
> I'm still thinking about sessions for LCG.  One of the suggestions I had
> seen was an intro on tool x.  How about a tools roundup?  Names and URL's
> for your favorite LC tools go in this thread, please.  More is better so I
> don't leave anyone out.

Over the years we have made some tools that we find useful. It comes as a toolbar that sits under the LC tools.

http://canelasoftware.com/pub/canela/DEV_TOOLS.rev.zip <http://canelasoftware.com/pub/canela/DEV_TOOLS.rev.zip>
Simply place this in your plugins folder for easy access. Or pull out the parts you like and add them to your own tools.

DEV TOOLS
Normally used with Toolbar Icons turned off
Dev Tools will place itself under the LC toolbar
GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (LGPL3), full license in stack 'dev tools' UNDER HANDLER 'GNULICENSE'

LIVECODE
- Clear message box history
- Upper case everything in clipboard
- Toggle 'hidePalette' property
- Support for script editor dark themes. You manually set the dark colors in script editor preferences. Select 'default' for colorization. This changes the font colors in script editor to work with dark backgrounds. Supports the differences between LC 8/9 in terms of how the handler list is generated.
- Various keyboard shortcuts for:
-   toggling pointer/browse tool (ctrl - tab)
-   hide/show handler list in script editor (ctrl - +)
-   hide/show lower pane in script editor (ctrl - *)
-   hide/show menubar in Mac (option - spacebar)
-   hide/show Dev Tools (option/alt - z)
-   hide/show LC project browser (cmd - e)

TIMING
- Easily time code for benchmarking

CODE LINTER/CLEANER
- Check code for variable rules
- Cleans spacing between handlers
- With 'script compilation mode' engaged, find variables that could not be cleaned or auto declared

ORPHANED PUTS
- Globally searches all code and generates a list of lines with orphaned puts
-    Click on list to be taken to statements found
- Check one script in the clipboard and add '& LF after the message box' when you want to use puts as a log

SOCKETS
- List all open sockets
- Optionally close all sockets

CONTROL DETAILS
- Hover over a control and get the full path of the control in 'Dev Tools'
-    Optionally: hold down the option key while hovering a have the full path of control placed in clipboard
- Other useful details about the control are listed as well like: id, layer, lock, autoHilite, width, height, top/left/right/bottom

OTHER THINGS
- If you poke around, you will find other nuggets in there that may/not be useful to you. Those listed above are used regularly.