[TOT] Totally Off . . .

Richmond Mathewson-2
Look what I found:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/macintosh/

Re: [TOT] Totally Off . . .

Lagi Pittas
HI Richmond,

Although I have  my dead trees  I always try to find a pdf version of any
paper version I have - as its easier than carrying all those books - but
there is something about flicking through a REAL book.

So here is one  that's been around for ages  on archive.org

https://ia801004.us.archive.org/22/items/The_Complete_HyperCard_Handbook/The_Complete_HyperCard_Handbook_text.pdf

and here are a few more

https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Macintosh+%28Computer%29%22

Lagi

On 23 August 2016 at 11:12, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Look what I found:
>
> ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/macintosh/
>
> Richmond.

Re: [TOT] Totally Off . . .

Richmond Mathewson-2
Thank you very much for those.

I have the former one: although the physical book I have is the 4th
edition and is entitled

The Complete Hypercard 2.2 Handbook

so should be the last version that Goodman wrote, and therefore as up to
date to the

point when Hypercard stopped being upgraded as possible.

The second link connects to stuff that is specifically linked to
Macintosh computers, and

at the moment I am working on Hypercard only, not through a wish to
understand

outdated and outmoded Mac computers (I have about 12 of them stored in 3
different places

in 3 different countries), but as a start to writing some sort of a book
about Livecode.

My real book (The Complete . . . ) has labelled bookmarks going back to
when I was gifted that book in 1999 at the UAE University in Al Ain,
UAE, when they, overnight, trashed all their Mac computers and replaced
them with IBM compats running Windows Me, and I had to get to grips with
Toolbook, and remake lots and lots of HC stack as TB programs.

These bookmarks are useful as they stop me having to spend donkey's ages
trawling again.

This would not really be possible with a pdf document.

Richmond.

On 23.08.2016 13:34, Lagi Pittas wrote:

> HI Richmond,
>
> Although I have  my dead trees  I always try to find a pdf version of any
> paper version I have - as its easier than carrying all those books - but
> there is something about flicking through a REAL book.
>
> So here is one  that's been around for ages  on archive.org
>
> https://ia801004.us.archive.org/22/items/The_Complete_HyperCard_Handbook/The_Complete_HyperCard_Handbook_text.pdf
>
> and here are a few more
>
> https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Macintosh+%28Computer%29%22
>
> Lagi
>

> On 23 August 2016 at 11:12, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Look what I found:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/macintosh/
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: [TOT] Totally Off . . .

Kay C Lan
On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The second link connects to stuff that is specifically linked to Macintosh
> computers, and
>
>  as a start to writing some sort of a book
> about Livecode.

Surely the 6th title in that collection, by Guy Kawaski, should
provide easy inspiration: maybe a chapter titled "The LC Use List
Curmudgeon" ;-)))

Re: [TOT] Totally Off . . .

pmbrig
On Aug 23, 2016, at 6:49 AM, Richmond wrote:

> My real book (The Complete . . . ) has labelled bookmarks going back to when I was gifted that book in 1999 at the UAE University in Al Ain, UAE, when they, overnight, trashed all their Mac computers and replaced them with IBM compats running Windows Me, and I had to get to grips with Toolbook, and remake lots and lots of HC stack as TB programs.
>
> These bookmarks are useful as they stop me having to spend donkey's ages trawling again.
>
> This would not really be possible with a pdf document.

It should be possible without too much sweat and tears to pull the HTML version into LC, parse the text, and put it into a searchable and bookmarkable stack.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham

Re: [TOT] Totally Off . . .

Warren Samples
On 08/23/2016 05:49 AM, Richmond wrote:

> My real book (The Complete . . . ) has labelled bookmarks going back to
> when I was gifted that book in 1999 at the UAE University in Al Ain,
> UAE, when they, overnight, trashed all their Mac computers and replaced
> them with IBM compats running Windows Me, and I had to get to grips with
> Toolbook, and remake lots and lots of HC stack as TB programs.
>
> These bookmarks are useful as they stop me having to spend donkey's ages
> trawling again.
>
> This would not really be possible with a pdf document.

That may depend on your pdf reader and how it interacts with the
particular pdf document. I downloaded the hypercard handbook from Lagi's
link and in KDE's default pdf reader, Okular, I can search text and
select and copy it and also set bookmarks. Works really well.

Warren