TSNet error 6

Re: TSNet error 6

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
That is interesting. Coffe Shops/Public Wifi typically use a proxy server and that may be what is restricting your DNS resolution. And yeah it could definitely be a router issue as well. Sometimes I have to reboot the router at work. No rhyme or reason, it just stops passing traffic and I have to reset it. Wireless is black magic voodoo anyways.

Bob S

> On Sep 2, 2017, at 06:46 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In today's episode, the user was in a coffee house using the free wifi (it was one of my testers, there on purpose for testing). The app could not resolve the host though the connection would have been constant.
> When he tests from his own home everything works, as it does for all of us on the team.
>
> We're wondering if https has anything to do with it. He could connect to anything with Chrome but both my app and Slack would not work using https. Could that be a factor?
>
> We need to keep testing to see if https is really the cause, we're not quite sure yet.

Re: TSNet error 6

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Okay, so three of us have been running around for a couple of days
trying to find "bad" internet connections. Sometimes we walk to the
limits of our router until we barely get a connection, and we get curl
error 35. At some coffee shops with a solid connection we get error 6,
once error 7. Sometimes Slack works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes we
don't have any problems at all on public wifi.

I think this is out of our control.

On 9/5/17 11:08 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> That is interesting. Coffe Shops/Public Wifi typically use a proxy server and that may be what is restricting your DNS resolution. And yeah it could definitely be a router issue as well. Sometimes I have to reboot the router at work. No rhyme or reason, it just stops passing traffic and I have to reset it. Wireless is black magic voodoo anyways.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Sep 2, 2017, at 06:46 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In today's episode, the user was in a coffee house using the free wifi (it was one of my testers, there on purpose for testing). The app could not resolve the host though the connection would have been constant.
>> When he tests from his own home everything works, as it does for all of us on the team.
>>
>> We're wondering if https has anything to do with it. He could connect to anything with Chrome but both my app and Slack would not work using https. Could that be a factor?
>>
>> We need to keep testing to see if https is really the cause, we're not quite sure yet.

Re: TSNet error 6

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Jacque,

Any of those error codes (6, 7 or 35) are reasonable if you are
operating in an area with a really poor connection.

When you are operating on a public wifi, it could have a lot to do with
how the wifi is configured, as Bob mentioned below.  How these are
configured can vary greatly.

Depending on how far you want to go with testing, you could try see if
your app can communicate with other sites when at these coffee shops.
Does it only have trouble with HTTPS sites, or just certain sites?  If
you browse to a site first with Chrome, does your app then work
afterwards?  Does it have trouble if you try connect via the IP address
rather than the hostname?

Cheers,

Charles

On 6/09/2017 6:37 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> Okay, so three of us have been running around for a couple of days
> trying to find "bad" internet connections. Sometimes we walk to the
> limits of our router until we barely get a connection, and we get curl
> error 35. At some coffee shops with a solid connection we get error 6,
> once error 7. Sometimes Slack works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes
> we don't have any problems at all on public wifi.
>
> I think this is out of our control.
>
> On 9/5/17 11:08 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>> That is interesting. Coffe Shops/Public Wifi typically use a proxy
>> server and that may be what is restricting your DNS resolution. And
>> yeah it could definitely be a router issue as well. Sometimes I have
>> to reboot the router at work. No rhyme or reason, it just stops
>> passing traffic and I have to reset it. Wireless is black magic
>> voodoo anyways.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Sep 2, 2017, at 06:46 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> In today's episode, the user was in a coffee house using the free
>>> wifi (it was one of my testers, there on purpose for testing). The
>>> app could not resolve the host though the connection would have been
>>> constant.
>>> When he tests from his own home everything works, as it does for all
>>> of us on the team.
>>>
>>> We're wondering if https has anything to do with it. He could
>>> connect to anything with Chrome but both my app and Slack would not
>>> work using https. Could that be a factor?
>>>
>>> We need to keep testing to see if https is really the cause, we're
>>> not quite sure yet.

Re: TSNet error 6

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I'll have to find out the answers and do a little more testing. I didn't
have any trouble at all today at a coffee shop near me but one of the
testers has found a very reliable bad network so I can ask him to try the
things you've mentioned.

We were joking today that we have good news - - everything fails really
well now.

On September 5, 2017 11:32:22 PM Charles Warwick via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Any of those error codes (6, 7 or 35) are reasonable if you are
> operating in an area with a really poor connection.
>
> When you are operating on a public wifi, it could have a lot to do with
> how the wifi is configured, as Bob mentioned below.  How these are
> configured can vary greatly.
>
> Depending on how far you want to go with testing, you could try see if
> your app can communicate with other sites when at these coffee shops.
> Does it only have trouble with HTTPS sites, or just certain sites?  If
> you browse to a site first with Chrome, does your app then work
> afterwards?  Does it have trouble if you try connect via the IP address
> rather than the hostname?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles
>

> On 6/09/2017 6:37 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> Okay, so three of us have been running around for a couple of days
>> trying to find "bad" internet connections. Sometimes we walk to the
>> limits of our router until we barely get a connection, and we get curl
>> error 35. At some coffee shops with a solid connection we get error 6,
>> once error 7. Sometimes Slack works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes
>> we don't have any problems at all on public wifi.
>>
>> I think this is out of our control.
>>
>> On 9/5/17 11:08 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>>> That is interesting. Coffe Shops/Public Wifi typically use a proxy
>>> server and that may be what is restricting your DNS resolution. And
>>> yeah it could definitely be a router issue as well. Sometimes I have
>>> to reboot the router at work. No rhyme or reason, it just stops
>>> passing traffic and I have to reset it. Wireless is black magic
>>> voodoo anyways.
>>>
>>> Bob S

Re: TSNet error 6

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
You know, I remember this happened to me a while back. There was a junior Pastor who liked to sit at this one coffee shop nearby to do his sermons. Old laptop no problem. New laptop, he couldn't even CONNECT to their wifi. He could everywhere else, just not this ONE coffee shop.

Bob S