Tab Panel Question

roark-2
Hey everybody!!

I'm new to everything revolution.  Correct me please if I'm not supposed to
be asking these sorts of questions here or if there's a better place to ask
them.

My question so far is how to work with the Tab Panel.  Seems like a dumb
question.  When I add one to the development canvas (as it were), I'm so far
unable to figure out how to add objects to the page that only appear under a
specific tab.

For example, after adding a Tab Panel, I will add a button by either
dragging and dropping or cutting and pasting, hoping it will be assigned to
the first tab of the tab panel.

But when I later drag the Tab Panel (reposition it on the page), the button
in my example is left behind.

I'm sure it's very simple.  Can someone help me by pointing out what is
probably fairly obvious, but that I continue to fail to understand??

Thanks in advance!!
Roark
(ex Visual Basic and ex Real Basic user)

Re: Tab Panel Question

Eric Chatonet
Hi Roark,

You might be interested in the following tutorial:  "How to Manage
Tabbed Buttons" available from Tutorials Picker:
How to manage tabbed buttons with 2 methods: Multiple cards method
(each tab is a card) and Groups method (show/hide groups based on tab
selection).  And, by script, how to set the tabs names, how to select
a tab, how to disable or enable a tab, etc.
Tutorials Picker is available from my website http://
www.sosmartsoftware.com/ (Revolution > Plugins) or Rev Online (user:
So Smart Software).

Best Regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.

Le 1 nov. 05 à 22:16, Roark a écrit :

> I'm new to everything revolution.  Correct me please if I'm not
> supposed to
> be asking these sorts of questions here or if there's a better
> place to ask
> them.
>
> My question so far is how to work with the Tab Panel.  Seems like a
> dumb
> question.  When I add one to the development canvas (as it were),
> I'm so far
> unable to figure out how to add objects to the page that only
> appear under a
> specific tab.
>
> For example, after adding a Tab Panel, I will add a button by either
> dragging and dropping or cutting and pasting, hoping it will be
> assigned to
> the first tab of the tab panel.
>
> But when I later drag the Tab Panel (reposition it on the page),
> the button
> in my example is left behind.
>
> I'm sure it's very simple.  Can someone help me by pointing out
> what is
> probably fairly obvious, but that I continue to fail to understand??

So Smart Software

Re: Tab Panel Question

Judy Perry
Hi Roark,

In addition to Eric's excellent tutorial, I also have a little stack on
this subject:

Using RevOnline, go to "User Spaces" --> Category = Education --> "Tabs in
Revolution".

HTH,

Judy

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Roark wrote:

> My question so far is how to work with the Tab Panel.

Re: Tab Panel Question

Bob Hartley
Quoting Roark <[hidden email]>:

> Hey everybody!!

Hi Roark

> I'm new to everything revolution.  Correct me please if I'm not supposed to
> be asking these sorts of questions here or if there's a better place to ask
> them.

Her eis the best place. Everyone is very helpfull from my experience.

> My question so far is how to work with the Tab Panel.  Seems like a dumb
> question.  When I add one to the development canvas (as it were), I'm so far
> unable to figure out how to add objects to the page that only appear under a
> specific tab.

Yep I thought the same. I thought Tab's wer ereally hard until I got-it. IE I
saw a post that showed how to do it (may have been Judy's stack).

As soon as you get it.....you will think WOW!!!!! It is that easy? :-)

I have a simple stack as an example on my other computer. If you don't get ti
sorted I can send it to you.

All the best
Bob

> For example, after adding a Tab Panel, I will add a button by either
> dragging and dropping or cutting and pasting, hoping it will be assigned to
> the first tab of the tab panel.
>
> But when I later drag the Tab Panel (reposition it on the page), the button
> in my example is left behind.
>
> I'm sure it's very simple.  Can someone help me by pointing out what is
> probably fairly obvious, but that I continue to fail to understand??
>
> Thanks in advance!!
> Roark
> (ex Visual Basic and ex Real Basic user)

How to limit field to one line?

Garrett Hylltun
Greetings,

Can anyone explain to me how to limit a field to only one line, and to intercept the return key from within that field?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Garrett

Re: How to limit field to one line?

Eric Chatonet
Hi Garret,

In the script of your field:

on returnInField
   <statements>
end returnInField

This will prevent the return key to insert a carriage return and will
execute your statements instead :-)

Le 2 nov. 05 à 17:49, Garrett R. Hylltun a écrit :

> Can anyone explain to me how to limit a field to only one line, and
> to intercept the return key from within that field?

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: How to limit field to one line?

Garrett Hylltun
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:54:09 +0100
Eric Chatonet <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> Best Regards from Paris,
>
> Eric Chatonet.

Merci beaucoup Eric :-)

Garrett R. Hylltun wrote:

 > Can anyone explain to me how to limit a field to only one line,
 > and to intercept the return key from within that field?

The text engine in Rev will accurately display lines up to 65,535
characters.  Beyond that it seems the data is maintained, but display
yields unpredictable results.

There is a similar limitation with the sort command:  on blocks of text
in which all lines have 65,535 characters or fewer it works great, but
beyond that it can yield odd results.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: How to limit field to one line?

Roger Eller
Garrett R. Hylltun wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me how to limit a field to only one line,

set the lockText of fld "x" to true

> and to intercept the return key from within that field?

-- Put this in the script of the field:
on returnInField
    -- do something (or nothing)
    answer "You pressed return"
end returnInField

Kind regards,
Roger Eller <[hidden email]>

Re: How to limit field to one line?

J. Landman Gay
Garrett R. Hylltun wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anyone explain to me how to limit a field to only one line, and to intercept the return key from within that field?

Besides the returnInField handler that others have mentioned, you can
also limit the amount of text without any scripting at all. Just set the
height of the field so that only one line is showing, and then set the
field's autoTab property to true. Whenever the user hits the return key,
the selection will automatically move to the next field. You can control
how many lines a field will accept by simply sizing its height to
accomodate the number of lines you want to allow.

This does not trap the return key though. For that, you'd need the
returnInField handler.

Re: How to limit field to one line?

kee nethery
returnInField in case someone enters a return in the field.
closeField in case someone pastes multiple lines of text into the field

on returnInField
   put line 1 of me into me
   answer "Only one line of text is allowed in this field." with :OK"
end returnInField

on closeField
   if return is in me then
     returnInField
   end if
   pass closefield
end closefield

Re: How to limit field to one line?

Paul Looney-2
Richard,
I'm finding that the display of data becomes unreadable somewhere
around 40,000 characters (this may depend on the field width settings -
I have not experimented with that - that many characters could not be
shown on a a screen without scrolling anyway). And, as you said, sorts
tend to make lines with large amounts of unreadable. However the data
itself appears to be fine; usable but unreadable.
Paul Looney

 > Can anyone explain to me how to limit a field to only one line,
 > and to intercept the return key from within that field?

  The text engine in Rev will accurately display lines up to 65,535
characters. Beyond that it seems the data is maintained, but display
yields unpredictable results.

  There is a similar limitation with the sort command: on blocks of text
in which all lines have 65,535 characters or fewer it works great, but
beyond that it can yield odd results.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: How to limit field to one line?

Richard Gaskin
[hidden email] wrote:
> Richard,
> I'm finding that the display of data becomes unreadable somewhere around
> 40,000 characters (this may depend on the field width settings - I have
> not experimented with that - that many characters could not be shown on
> a a screen without scrolling anyway).

This seems to be OS-specific.  Like you, I found that there were
troubles displaying more than 40,000 characters on OS X, but on XP I was
able to put more than 50,000 characters before it had trouble displaying.

On neither OS X nor XP was I able to display 65,535 characters without
difficulty.

I wonder what the determining factor is?

  Managing Editor, revJournal

RE: How to limit field to one line?

MisterX
most likely how rev displays characters in a font.
+ html or rtf involved. This is an old MC problem.

it's something to do with spacing. Maybe tabs.

Just be carefull how much data you copy paste to
rev from excel - it can crash it all. Once you
see text go haywire, save everything...

Pasting can be controlled, but well behaved stacks
have to watch out for this!

So for example, if you have more than 64Kbs in one
line in custom prop, don’t try to display it in
the property palette... or put it in the msg...

HC used to shield us from this by stripping (without
warning) the extra information off the field.

Rev is a bit lower level here ;)

cheers
Xavier