Testing iOS apps on attached device

Tom Glod via use-livecode
It's taken me ages to get my system back together to do iOS development
properly (forced to update phone, so then couldn't develop to it without
latest xcode, but that required sierra, needed to not update to Sierra for a
while.. bah).

So finally I've got my MacBook on Sierra, I've got Xcode 10.3, and LC 8.6.1,
and I've gone through certificate hell, and it all works - I can build an iOS
standalone, and use Xcode to install it on my phone.

But I can't use the "Test" function to test directly on my phone. If Test
Target is set to Simulator, then Test works. But if I select my phone as Test
Target, then Test causes a build process, but nothing happens on the phone.

Last time I had it all working ... it worked - there would be an update in the
message box that went from 0% to 100% installed.

A very long time ago I recall installing Fruitstrap - maybe that's been
neutered by updating to Sierra. What is now the approach to get "Test" working
to direct deploy to an attached iOS device?

Many thanks,

Ben

Re: Testing iOS apps on attached device

Tom Glod via use-livecode
you've got a provisioning profile issue, so the install is failing
silently.  It's documented in bug report xxxxxx.  To figure out what the
heck is going on, do the install using xcode and you'll get the error
message.  After you have the PP issue resolved, testing directly on the
device will work.

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's taken me ages to get my system back together to do iOS development
> properly (forced to update phone, so then couldn't develop to it without
> latest xcode, but that required sierra, needed to not update to Sierra for
> a while.. bah).
>
> So finally I've got my MacBook on Sierra, I've got Xcode 10.3, and LC
> 8.6.1, and I've gone through certificate hell, and it all works - I can
> build an iOS standalone, and use Xcode to install it on my phone.
>
> But I can't use the "Test" function to test directly on my phone. If Test
> Target is set to Simulator, then Test works. But if I select my phone as
> Test Target, then Test causes a build process, but nothing happens on the
> phone.
>
> Last time I had it all working ... it worked - there would be an update in
> the message box that went from 0% to 100% installed.
>
> A very long time ago I recall installing Fruitstrap - maybe that's been
> neutered by updating to Sierra. What is now the approach to get "Test"
> working to direct deploy to an attached iOS device?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ben

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Testing iOS apps on attached device

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, and I certainly have had that problem often enough - but
not this time. I can build a standalone, and use Xcode to install it on the
phone; and it works. So I don't have a provisioning profile issue in this case.

There's some other reason why it isn't installing when I use Test, although
Xcode has no problem doing it.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Ben

On 9/16/17 1:40 PM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, and I certainly have had that problem often enough
> - but not this time. I can build a standalone, and use Xcode to install
> it on the phone; and it works. So I don't have a provisioning profile
> issue in this case.

Check to be sure that the profile in standalone settings is the same one
that XCode is using.

Re: Testing iOS apps on attached device

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Jacque,

Thanks for helping.

> Check to be sure that the profile in standalone settings is the same one
> that XCode is using.

How would that work? Surely the profile is backed into the app when the
Standalone Builder builds the standalone? (I'm not building the app with
Xcode, just using it to install the app that LC built on to my phone.) Does
Xcode have a separate profile to install a app - if so where would I find that?

many thanks,

Ben

On 16/09/2017 22:08, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> On 9/16/17 1:40 PM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply, and I certainly have had that problem often enough -
>> but not this time. I can build a standalone, and use Xcode to install it on
>> the phone; and it works. So I don't have a provisioning profile issue in
>> this case.
>
> Check to be sure that the profile in standalone settings is the same one that
> XCode is using.

Re: Testing iOS apps on attached device

Tom Glod via use-livecode
"baked" into the app, not "backed"!

On 18/09/2017 09:59, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Jacque,
>
> Thanks for helping.
>
>> Check to be sure that the profile in standalone settings is the same one
>> that XCode is using.
>
> How would that work? Surely the profile is backed into the app when the
> Standalone Builder builds the standalone? (I'm not building the app with
> Xcode, just using it to install the app that LC built on to my phone.) Does
> Xcode have a separate profile to install a app - if so where would I find that?
>
> many thanks,
>
> Ben
>

> On 16/09/2017 22:08, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 9/16/17 1:40 PM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply, and I certainly have had that problem often enough -
>>> but not this time. I can build a standalone, and use Xcode to install it on
>>> the phone; and it works. So I don't have a provisioning profile issue in
>>> this case.
>>
>> Check to be sure that the profile in standalone settings is the same one
>> that XCode is using.

Re: Testing iOS apps on attached device

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Ben,

If you can successfully install the standalone using Xode (by dragging it
onto the "Applications" field of your device), but you cannot do the same
using the "Test" button, then this is probably a bug in mergDeploy (which
is used by the "Test" button.

So I suggest you file a report.

However, I use the "Test" button for testing on iOS devices before each
release, and it works as expected for me. If it doesn't work for me, then
installing using Xcode fails too, but using Xcode gives a (usually)
informative error msg (which is usually related to provisioning profiles,
as Mike noted)

Best,
Panos
--

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> "baked" into the app, not "backed"!
>

> On 18/09/2017 09:59, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacque,
>>
>> Thanks for helping.
>>
>> Check to be sure that the profile in standalone settings is the same one
>>> that XCode is using.
>>>

>> How would that work? Surely the profile is backed into the app when the
>> Standalone Builder builds the standalone? (I'm not building the app with
>> Xcode, just using it to install the app that LC built on to my phone.) Does
>> Xcode have a separate profile to install a app - if so where would I find
>> that?
>>
>> many thanks,
>>
>> Ben

>>> Check to be sure that the profile in standalone settings is the same one
>>> that XCode is using.

Re: Testing iOS apps on attached device

Tom Glod via use-livecode
You're right, the profile is embedded in the app. I was just wondering if
Xcode was doing some extra manipulation. Probably not, but you might check
to be sure there are no expired profiles in keychain.