Text fields with rounded corners

Richmond Mathewson-2
?????

RE: Text fields with rounded corners

FlexibleLearning.com
roundRect graphic instead of a field border.

2p

Hugh Senior
FLCo

From: Richmond <[hidden email]>
Subject: Text fields with rounded corners

?????

Richmond

On 05/10/14 15:47, FlexibleLearning.com wrote:

> roundRect graphic instead of a field border.
>
> 2p
>
> Hugh Senior
> FLCo
>

> From: Richmond <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Text fields with rounded corners
>
> ?????
>
> Richmond

That doesn't help.

That is a fudge, with a text field overlaying a rectangle with rounded
edges.

When I try:

set the roundRadius of fld "zz" to 50

nothing happens because 'roundRadius' is not a property of fields.

Re: Text fields with rounded corners

Stephen Barncard-4
On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That is a fudge, with a text field overlaying a rectangle with rounded
> edges.

What difference does it make? It's all an illusion anyway. Just asking.

*--*
*Stephen Barncard - San Francisco Ca. USA - Deeds Not Words*

On 05/10/14 18:29, stephen barncard wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> That is a fudge, with a text field overlaying a rectangle with rounded
>> edges.
>>
> What difference does it make? It's all an illusion anyway. Just asking.

Yes, of course a GUI is an illusion; however, I, for one, have been
sustained by
that illusion ever since I bought a Mac LC 475 in 1993, and it is a fine
illusion
that is significantly better than the green screen blind terminal
illusion that
preceded it. I have no great urge to be disillusioned, having worked with a
computer that had no visual illusion at all (no VDU) just a card reader
and a printer.

However much the GUI-WIMP thing is an illusion, illusory objects within
it can be
easy to handle and difficult.

In Livecode a group is, almost always, a P.I.A. [No, I am not referring to
Pakistani International Airways], and a unitary object is always easier to
tweak and adjust when one needs to.

Better cut down on the "Just askings" as, in my case at least, they
precipitate
a waterfall of words :)

Re: Text fields with rounded corners

mwieder
Richmond-

Sunday, October 5, 2014, 5:47:25 AM, Hugh wrote:

> roundRect graphic instead of a field border.

> 2p

..and group the two objects. Turn off the border and opacity of the
text field, set the opacity and backgroundColor of the graphic.

+2p

--
-Mark Wieder
 [hidden email]

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On 05/10/14 19:02, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Richmond-
>
> Sunday, October 5, 2014, 5:47:25 AM, Hugh wrote:
>
>> roundRect graphic instead of a field border.
>> 2p
> ..and group the two objects. Turn off the border and opacity of the
> text field, set the opacity and backgroundColor of the graphic.
>
> +2p

My earlier comment about grouped objects still stands.

Re: Text fields with rounded corners

Ken Ray
Does it have to be editable? If not, then you might be able to get away with a single roundrect graphic object and set the label of the graphic to the text you want. Granted you have limitations, but you can still manipulate things like alignment, margins, etc.

Ken RaySons of Thunder Software, Inc.http://www.sonsothunder.com

On 05/10/14 22:24, Ken Ray wrote:
> Does it have to be editable? If not, then you might be able to get away with a single roundrect graphic object and set the label of the graphic to the text you want. Granted you have limitations, but you can still manipulate things like alignment, margins, etc.

That's certainly a thought.

I wonder how you would manipulate the labelField so that end users could
enter text into it in the way they can enter
text into a standard textField.

I suspect that would not be possible, and one would have to have an
standard textField and a button that would transfer the text to the
label of the graphic.

On 05/10/14 22:28, Richmond wrote:

> On 05/10/14 22:24, Ken Ray wrote:
>> Does it have to be editable? If not, then you might be able to get
>> away with a single roundrect graphic object and set the label of the
>> graphic to the text you want. Granted you have limitations, but you
>> can still manipulate things like alignment, margins, etc.
>
> That's certainly a thought.
>
> I wonder how you would manipulate the labelField so that end users
> could enter text into it in the way they can enter
> text into a standard textField.
>
> I suspect that would not be possible, and one would have to have an
> standard textField and a button that would transfer the text to the
> label of the graphic.
>
> Richmond.

Here's something: "cornery.zip" here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ja47l87gg87sn0q/AAAIj99kEQVOb8ev3jz8C5ORa?dl=0

You cannot set any text attributes except size" no colour, bold, italic,
etc.

Re: Text fields with rounded corners

Paul Dupuis
I think what was being asked here is "why shouldn't the roundRadius
property (and roundEnds, roundHeight, roundWidth) apply to fields (and
buttons, etc.) as well as just graphics"

It is a good enhancement idea and should be submitted to RunRev via the
quality center (http://quality.runrev.com/) if it is something someone
wants.

On 10/5/2014 3:38 PM, Richmond wrote:

> On 05/10/14 22:28, Richmond wrote:
>> On 05/10/14 22:24, Ken Ray wrote:
>>> Does it have to be editable? If not, then you might be able to get
>>> away with a single roundrect graphic object and set the label of the
>>> graphic to the text you want. Granted you have limitations, but you
>>> can still manipulate things like alignment, margins, etc.
>>
>> That's certainly a thought.
>>
>> I wonder how you would manipulate the labelField so that end users
>> could enter text into it in the way they can enter
>> text into a standard textField.
>>
>> I suspect that would not be possible, and one would have to have an
>> standard textField and a button that would transfer the text to the
>> label of the graphic.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

> Here's something: "cornery.zip" here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ja47l87gg87sn0q/AAAIj99kEQVOb8ev3jz8C5ORa?dl=0
>
> You cannot set any text attributes except size" no colour, bold,
> italic, etc.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Text fields with rounded corners

Trevor DeVore
On Sunday, October 5, 2014, stephen barncard <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > That is a fudge, with a text field overlaying a rectangle with rounded
> > edges.
> >

> What difference does it make? It's all an illusion anyway. Just asking.

One difference to be aware of when using a graphic to get rounded corners
around a field is that you won't get a proper focus border on OS X.

--
Trevor DeVore

Re: Text fields with rounded corners

Bill Vlahos
I agree that it would be a very nice feature to have. It would save time having to create the graphics workarounds described in this thread.

Bill Vlahos

On Oct 5, 2014, at 1:42 PM, Paul Dupuis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think what was being asked here is "why shouldn't the roundRadius
> property (and roundEnds, roundHeight, roundWidth) apply to fields (and
> buttons, etc.) as well as just graphics"
>
> It is a good enhancement idea and should be submitted to RunRev via the
> quality center (http://quality.runrev.com/) if it is something someone
> wants.
>

> On 10/5/2014 3:38 PM, Richmond wrote:
>>>
>>> That's certainly a thought.
>>>
>>> I wonder how you would manipulate the labelField so that end users
>>> could enter text into it in the way they can enter
>>> text into a standard textField.
>>>
>>> I suspect that would not be possible, and one would have to have an
>>> standard textField and a button that would transfer the text to the
>>> label of the graphic.
>>>
>>> Richmond.
>>>

>> Here's something: "cornery.zip" here:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ja47l87gg87sn0q/AAAIj99kEQVOb8ev3jz8C5ORa?dl=0
>>
>> You cannot set any text attributes except size" no colour, bold,
>> italic, etc.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Text fields with rounded corners

ScottR
One way to do this is to create a graphic with the desired appearance,
export a snapshot of the graphic to a variable, set the text of an image
to the snapshot data, and then set the backPattern of a plain field to the
id of the image.  I paired this with a resizeControl behavior applied to
the field, so the graphic auto-resizes to the width/height of the field
when the field is resized, and the snapshot is generated automatically.

Kind of a goofy way to do it, but it should work.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design