The Overflow

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
If you're not already getting Stack Overflow's email newsletter
(published every two weeks) I want to recommend it highly. I just got
issue #3 in the mail today and it's got some fascinating articles in it.
A couple from the current issue:

The Lines of Code That Changed Everything
https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/consequential-computer-code-software-history.html

My Most Embarrassing Mistakes as a Programmer (so far)
https://stackoverflow.blog/2019/10/29/my-most-embarrassing-mistakes-as-a-programmer-so-far/

I've gotta quote from that one:

"It’s painful for most software developers to acknowledge this, because
they love code so much, but the best code is no code at all. Every new
line of code you willingly bring into the world is code that has to be
debugged, code that has to be read and understood, code that has to be
supported. Every time you write new code, you should do so reluctantly,
under duress, because you completely exhausted all your other options.
Code is only our enemy because there are so many of us programmers
writing so damn much of it."

Yes, you need sign up for a free Stack Overflow account for this
https://stackoverflow.com/users/signup

Re: The Overflow

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Done!

Bob S

> On Oct 30, 2019, at 09:22 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you're not already getting Stack Overflow's email newsletter (published every two weeks) I want to recommend it highly. I just got issue #3 in the mail today and it's got some fascinating articles in it. A couple from the current issue:
>
> The Lines of Code That Changed Everything
> https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/consequential-computer-code-software-history.html
>
> My Most Embarrassing Mistakes as a Programmer (so far)
> https://stackoverflow.blog/2019/10/29/my-most-embarrassing-mistakes-as-a-programmer-so-far/
>
> I've gotta quote from that one:
>
> "It’s painful for most software developers to acknowledge this, because they love code so much, but the best code is no code at all. Every new line of code you willingly bring into the world is code that has to be debugged, code that has to be read and understood, code that has to be supported. Every time you write new code, you should do so reluctantly, under duress, because you completely exhausted all your other options. Code is only our enemy because there are so many of us programmers writing so damn much of it."
>
> Yes, you need sign up for a free Stack Overflow account for this
> https://stackoverflow.com/users/signup
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: The Overflow

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Pure heresy! I CAN write perfect code first time every time! I just have to try harder!! ;-)

Bob S

> On Oct 30, 2019, at 09:22 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My Most Embarrassing Mistakes as a Programmer (so far)
> https://stackoverflow.blog/2019/10/29/my-most-embarrassing-mistakes-as-a-programmer-so-far/

Re: The Overflow

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
thanks for these mark...they will be an interesting read.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pure heresy! I CAN write perfect code first time every time! I just have
> to try harder!! ;-)
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Oct 30, 2019, at 09:22 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > My Most Embarrassing Mistakes as a Programmer (so far)
> >
> https://stackoverflow.blog/2019/10/29/my-most-embarrassing-mistakes-as-a-programmer-so-far/

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)