The default button

hh via use-livecode
Hi all.

I was given to understand that there can only be one default button. I see I am mistaken. I thought that setting the defaultButton of a card unset the default of the button that was the defaultButton prior to that. It seems to me that this is how this ought to work, because if not, then the return key will yield unpredictable results.

What this DOES do is on a standard button it changes the appearance to, for example on OS X, a blue button instead of a whitish one. Is this all this is for? It cannot be as hitting the return key WILL send a mouseUp to whatever the engine thinks is the current defaultButton.

Re: The default button

hh via use-livecode
> Hi all.
>
> I was given to understand that there can only be one default button. I see I am mistaken. I thought that setting the defaultButton of a card unset the default of the button that was the defaultButton prior to that. It seems to me that this is how this ought to work, because if not, then the return key will yield unpredictable results.
>
> What this DOES do is on a standard button it changes the appearance to, for example on OS X, a blue button instead of a whitish one. Is this all this is for? It cannot be as hitting the return key WILL send a mouseUp to whatever the engine thinks is the current defaultButton.

You *can* indeed have more than one default button, but it's not a good
idea. For the reasons you mentioned and more. On OSX having more than
one default button will use up huge amounts of cpu power even while
doing nothing more than sitting around and looking good.

PowerTools will warn you if you try to add more than one default button,
but once you've been warned won't prevent it, because by that point you
obviously mean to do what you're about to do.

Re: The default button

hh via use-livecode
Interesting. I think what I will do then is spend time setting all the buttons default to false, then managing which buttons have the default on. The only reason it helps me (I don't ever use standard buttons, but always attach a graphic for an icon) is that I have 3 modes each data form can have: View, Edit, New. This is so that I can control what the user can and cannot do at different states. I set the default of the save button in edit/new, but in view mode the default is the Edit button.

Bob S