The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Is it possible to access (write to) the iOS “Files” folder from an iOS app? I see that there is no specialFolderPath entry for it, but it appears that some apps do allow saving to the folder, and one is then allowed to open such files with an appropriate app. Basically I am thinking of giving the user a chance to save a text file there for processing by other apps. The alternative would involve the internet with all the tedious privacy rules etc. and my particular app doesn’t have any other use for the internet at all.

Anyone tried it?

Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
It is my understanding that each app has it’s own storage are and that this is sandboxed from other apps. That being said, there is obviously a way for an app to request permission from the iOS to access another app’s storage. I’m not sure if Livecode has that mechanism though. it’s probably some kind of Xcode library.

Bob S

On Oct 10, 2020, at 8:42 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Is it possible to access (write to) the iOS “Files” folder from an iOS app? I see that there is no specialFolderPath entry for it, but it appears that some apps do allow saving to the folder, and one is then allowed to open such files with an appropriate app. Basically I am thinking of giving the user a chance to save a text file there for processing by other apps. The alternative would involve the internet with all the tedious privacy rules etc. and my particular app doesn’t have any other use for the internet at all.

Anyone tried it?

Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I am getting a bit nearer answering my own question, or at least having it answered by the mother ship. Elanor Buchanan has introduced me to ‘MergPopActivity’ but so far I am just too ignorant to use it. Hopefully I’ll have more information soon. Meanwhile it would be interesting to know if anyone on this list has ever used it.

Graham

> On 10 Oct 2020, at 17:42, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to access (write to) the iOS “Files” folder from an iOS app? I see that there is no specialFolderPath entry for it, but it appears that some apps do allow saving to the folder, and one is then allowed to open such files with an appropriate app. Basically I am thinking of giving the user a chance to save a text file there for processing by other apps. The alternative would involve the internet with all the tedious privacy rules etc. and my particular app doesn’t have any other use for the internet at all.
>
> Anyone tried it?
>
> Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hi Graham,

You can write to your own app’s preference’s folder.
Due to sandboxing Apple doesn’t want you writing
stuff elsewhere.  You can sometimes write to special
folders, I don’t know the list off of the top of my head
however.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Rick

> On Oct 12, 2020, at 1:19 PM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am getting a bit nearer answering my own question, or at least having it answered by the mother ship. Elanor Buchanan has introduced me to ‘MergPopActivity’ but so far I am just too ignorant to use it. Hopefully I’ll have more information soon. Meanwhile it would be interesting to know if anyone on this list has ever used it.
>
> Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
On the iPad each app is sandboxed and that means each app has
its own Documents Folder.  You can get a url to the Documents
Folder for  your app but not other apps.  Using that url you can
read, write, append, move, and delete files that are in your apps
Documents Folder.  A BIG PROBLEM comes when you delete an
app.  All the files in the Documents Folder for your app also  get
deleted.  So if you have a Note application  and have saved a lot
of notes, those notes are saved while your app exists but when
that Note taking app  is deleted  all of your information you’ve
saved is deleted  with it.  Most likely it will not be saved to the
icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
deleted with the app.

To me this makes the iPad a poor device for children to be
using for school because  they should be allowed to keep
their school work without keeping outdated apps over the
years they go to school.

JB

> On Oct 12, 2020, at 7:50 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is my understanding that each app has it’s own storage are and that this is sandboxed from other apps. That being said, there is obviously a way for an app to request permission from the iOS to access another app’s storage. I’m not sure if Livecode has that mechanism though. it’s probably some kind of Xcode library.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Oct 10, 2020, at 8:42 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to access (write to) the iOS “Files” folder from an iOS app? I see that there is no specialFolderPath entry for it, but it appears that some apps do allow saving to the folder, and one is then allowed to open such files with an appropriate app. Basically I am thinking of giving the user a chance to save a text file there for processing by other apps. The alternative would involve the internet with all the tedious privacy rules etc. and my particular app doesn’t have any other use for the internet at all.
>
> Anyone tried it?
>
> Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
There's this, though it's up to the user:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/07/ios-11-automatically-delete-unused-apps/

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On October 12, 2020 5:11:48 PM John Balgenorth via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the iPad each app is sandboxed and that means each app has
> its own Documents Folder.  You can get a url to the Documents
> Folder for  your app but not other apps.  Using that url you can
> read, write, append, move, and delete files that are in your apps
> Documents Folder.  A BIG PROBLEM comes when you delete an
> app.  All the files in the Documents Folder for your app also  get
> deleted.  So if you have a Note application  and have saved a lot
> of notes, those notes are saved while your app exists but when
> that Note taking app  is deleted  all of your information you’ve
> saved is deleted  with it.  Most likely it will not be saved to the
> icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
> though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
> deleted with the app.
>
> To me this makes the iPad a poor device for children to be
> using for school because  they should be allowed to keep
> their school work without keeping outdated apps over the
> years they go to school.
>
> JB
>

>> On Oct 12, 2020, at 7:50 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It is my understanding that each app has it’s own storage are and that
>> this is sandboxed from other apps. That being said, there is obviously a
>> way for an app to request permission from the iOS to access another app’s
>> storage. I’m not sure if Livecode has that mechanism though. it’s probably
>> some kind of Xcode library.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> On Oct 10, 2020, at 8:42 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to access (write to) the iOS “Files” folder from an iOS app?
>> I see that there is no specialFolderPath entry for it, but it appears that
>> some apps do allow saving to the folder, and one is then allowed to open
>> such files with an appropriate app. Basically I am thinking of giving the
>> user a chance to save a text file there for processing by other apps. The
>> alternative would involve the internet with all the tedious privacy rules
>> etc. and my particular app doesn’t have any other use for the internet at all.
>>
>> Anyone tried it?
>>
>> Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Apple is pushing everything to be saved to iCloud, so a properly written school app (by Apple standards!) would have all the school assignments in the student’s iCloud - accessible at home or school or wherever you have net access.

Kelly

> On 12Oct, 2020, at 4:09 PM, John Balgenorth via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On the iPad each app is sandboxed and that means each app has
> its own Documents Folder.  You can get a url to the Documents
> Folder for  your app but not other apps.  Using that url you can
> read, write, append, move, and delete files that are in your apps
> Documents Folder.  A BIG PROBLEM comes when you delete an
> app.  All the files in the Documents Folder for your app also  get
> deleted.  So if you have a Note application  and have saved a lot
> of notes, those notes are saved while your app exists but when
> that Note taking app  is deleted  all of your information you’ve
> saved is deleted  with it.  Most likely it will not be saved to the
> icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
> though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
> deleted with the app.
>
> To me this makes the iPad a poor device for children to be
> using for school because  they should be allowed to keep
> their school work without keeping outdated apps over the
> years they go to school.
>
> JB
>

>> On Oct 12, 2020, at 7:50 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It is my understanding that each app has it’s own storage are and that this is sandboxed from other apps. That being said, there is obviously a way for an app to request permission from the iOS to access another app’s storage. I’m not sure if Livecode has that mechanism though. it’s probably some kind of Xcode library.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> On Oct 10, 2020, at 8:42 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to access (write to) the iOS “Files” folder from an iOS app? I see that there is no specialFolderPath entry for it, but it appears that some apps do allow saving to the folder, and one is then allowed to open such files with an appropriate app. Basically I am thinking of giving the user a chance to save a text file there for processing by other apps. The alternative would involve the internet with all the tedious privacy rules etc. and my particular app doesn’t have any other use for the internet at all.
>>
>> Anyone tried it?
>>
>> Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
That looks interesting but I don’t think it mentioned
iPad, and even if they make it for iPad here is a
note they mentioned;

This will free up storage used by the app, but keep its documents and data. Reinstalling the app will place back your data if the app is still available in the App Store.

So for school children who are interested in keeping their work
for the rest of their life it all depends on Apples mood since it
will only work if the app is still available on the App Store.

Not having the ability to control your data is a threat to record
keeping, since you are now locked into your data with the app.
That is a freedom we can lose with the desktop too.  If they can
control your records to a single source it is easier to delete, I am
sure by accident, like fires burning records at court houses, or
alter the records.

JB

> On Oct 12, 2020, at 4:16 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There's this, though it's up to the user:
>
> https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/07/ios-11-automatically-delete-unused-apps/
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>> On October 12, 2020 5:11:48 PM John Balgenorth via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On the iPad each app is sandboxed and that means each app has
>> its own Documents Folder.  You can get a url to the Documents
>> Folder for  your app but not other apps.  Using that url you can
>> read, write, append, move, and delete files that are in your apps
>> Documents Folder.  A BIG PROBLEM comes when you delete an
>> app.  All the files in the Documents Folder for your app also  get
>> deleted.  So if you have a Note application  and have saved a lot
>> of notes, those notes are saved while your app exists but when
>> that Note taking app  is deleted  all of your information you’ve
>> saved is deleted  with it.  Most likely it will not be saved to the
>> icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
>> though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
>> deleted with the app.
>>
>> To me this makes the iPad a poor device for children to be
>> using for school because  they should be allowed to keep
>> their school work without keeping outdated apps over the
>> years they go to school.
>>
>> JB

>>> It is my understanding that each app has it’s own storage are and that this is sandboxed from other apps. That being said, there is obviously a way for an app to request permission from the iOS to access another app’s storage. I’m not sure if Livecode has that mechanism though. it’s probably some kind of Xcode library.
>>>
>>> Bob S

>>> Is it possible to access (write to) the iOS “Files” folder from an iOS app? I see that there is no specialFolderPath entry for it, but it appears that some apps do allow saving to the folder, and one is then allowed to open such files with an appropriate app. Basically I am thinking of giving the user a chance to save a text file there for processing by other apps. The alternative would involve the internet with all the tedious privacy rules etc. and my particular app doesn’t have any other use for the internet at all.
>>>
>>> Anyone tried it?
>>>
>>> Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Elanor has given me some more information about the very poorly documented mergPropActivity - I don’t know how to get someone who really understands it to provide meaningful documentation. Meanwhile, thanks to Elanor, I can generate a text file within my iOS app and can have a button within the app that opens ‘activity view’ on the phone which allows the user to save the file to the “Files” folder outside of the app, or into iCloud, so outside the sandbox; one can also copy to the clipboard, also outside the sandbox. Before asking Support I had never heard of activity views, which seem to be iOS only.

It looks from the minimum documentation I have that you could do much the same with an image, but I have not tried it. The various options available to the user in these circumstances presumably change with the file type, although I am not sure of this. The test application that Elanor gave me did not allow the user to email the text for example, but I have absolutely no idea why.

It seems strange to have such a sophisticated degree of functionality available and then apparently no adequate instructions as to how it works, the external context, or indeed the full range of options for its parameters. Should I raise this lack of documentation as a bug?

Graham

> On 12 Oct 2020, at 21:34, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Graham,
>
> You can write to your own app’s preference’s folder.
> Due to sandboxing Apple doesn’t want you writing
> stuff elsewhere.  You can sometimes write to special
> folders, I don’t know the list off of the top of my head
> however.
>
> Keep us informed of your progress.
>
> Rick
>
>> On Oct 12, 2020, at 1:19 PM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am getting a bit nearer answering my own question, or at least having it answered by the mother ship. Elanor Buchanan has introduced me to ‘MergPopActivity’ but so far I am just too ignorant to use it. Hopefully I’ll have more information soon. Meanwhile it would be interesting to know if anyone on this list has ever used it.
>>
>> Graham

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I’ll have to take issue with that one. If your device is set to sync to the cloud, your notes will be preserver. There’s no unlikely about it. The only way they would not sync is if you had sync turned off for notes. In that case it is not only likely but certain you will lose any new data since sync was disabled.

If it did not work this way, iCould would die a quick and horrible death.

Bob S

On Oct 12, 2020, at 3:09 PM, John Balgenorth via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Most likely it will not be saved to the
icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
deleted with the app.

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode

> It looks from the minimum documentation I have that you could do much the same with an image, but I have not tried it.

I use this in a (now abandoned) feature of an app to take a screenshot of the mobile stack and share the image. Switched to this after mergSocial stopped working when Apple made some core OS updates. The entire MergExt suite is extremely powerful and extremely under-documented.

put specialFolderPath("documents") & "/IndianaOnTap.png" into tFilePath
put the rect of this card into tRect
put the bottom of field "promoName" into tBottom
put item 1 of tRect & COMMA & item 2 of tRect & COMMA & item 3 of tRect & COMMA & tBottom into tExportRect
export snapshot from rect tExportRect of this card to file tFilePath as PNG
mergPopActivity "Indiana On Tap just hooked me up!",tFilePath,""

—Andrew Bell

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
On a related note, there is a "File Sharing" check box in the iOS >
Requirements tab > Requirements and Restrictions section of the
Standalone App settings. What does that do?

Thanks -
Phil Davis

On 10/13/20 9:19 AM, Andrew at MidWest Coast Media via use-livecode wrote:

>> It looks from the minimum documentation I have that you could do much the same with an image, but I have not tried it.
> I use this in a (now abandoned) feature of an app to take a screenshot of the mobile stack and share the image. Switched to this after mergSocial stopped working when Apple made some core OS updates. The entire MergExt suite is extremely powerful and extremely under-documented.
>

> put specialFolderPath("documents") & "/IndianaOnTap.png" into tFilePath
> put the rect of this card into tRect
> put the bottom of field "promoName" into tBottom
> put item 1 of tRect & COMMA & item 2 of tRect & COMMA & item 3 of tRect & COMMA & tBottom into tExportRect
> export snapshot from rect tExportRect of this card to file tFilePath as PNG
> mergPopActivity "Indiana On Tap just hooked me up!",tFilePath,""
>

> —Andrew Bell

Phil Davis
503-307-4363

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Think and say anything you want!

A lot of people value accessing their files.  Someone will eventually
make a device that allows you to save your files properly and you
will see a lot of people switch platforms.

If you have any evidence suggesting people do  not care about
their files please provide it instead of attacking me with claims
I am just complaining about Apple in general.

And by the way, I am the one on this list who supported Apple
and  their App Store practices.  Explain that about someone
just attacking Apple.

JB

> On Oct 13, 2020, at 8:26 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m gonna say you have a bone to pick with Apple.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Oct 12, 2020, at 4:34 PM, John Balgenorth via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> So for school children who are interested in keeping their work
> for the rest of their life it all depends on Apples mood since it
> will only work if the app is still available on the App Store.

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
One my iPad I have everything turned on for iCloud and I am
sure everything is backed up with my backup file.  I do not
see all of my individual files when I access icloud except for
ones I added through a different means than the application.

The issue of apps becoming outdated and any files being
locked in with the app is serious to me.  Not a big issue to
solve if Apple wants to.

JB

> On Oct 13, 2020, at 8:24 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ll have to take issue with that one. If your device is set to sync to the cloud, your notes will be preserver. There’s no unlikely about it. The only way they would not sync is if you had sync turned off for notes. In that case it is not only likely but certain you will lose any new data since sync was disabled.
>
> If it did not work this way, iCould would die a quick and horrible death.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Oct 12, 2020, at 3:09 PM, John Balgenorth via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Most likely it will not be saved to the
> icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
> though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
> deleted with the app.

Re: The iOS "Files" folder

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Apple has already provided a way forward for this.  Their current best practice is for apps to store files in their Documents folder in iCloud.  This provides seamless access between multiple devices and data security since it is not tied to the app remaining installed.

I briefly looked at the dev docs on this and it does take some work to integrate.  The most complicated piece will be detecting and resolving conflicts.  I think it would be a good feature request just not sure how to do the conflict resolution piece.  The mechanics of putting and getting a file are not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 13, 2020, at 8:42 PM, John Balgenorth via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One my iPad I have everything turned on for iCloud and I am
> sure everything is backed up with my backup file.  I do not
> see all of my individual files when I access icloud except for
> ones I added through a different means than the application.
>
> The issue of apps becoming outdated and any files being
> locked in with the app is serious to me.  Not a big issue to
> solve if Apple wants to.
>
> JB
>
>> On Oct 13, 2020, at 8:24 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’ll have to take issue with that one. If your device is set to sync to the cloud, your notes will be preserver. There’s no unlikely about it. The only way they would not sync is if you had sync turned off for notes. In that case it is not only likely but certain you will lose any new data since sync was disabled.
>>
>> If it did not work this way, iCould would die a quick and horrible death.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> On Oct 12, 2020, at 3:09 PM, John Balgenorth via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Most likely it will not be saved to the
>> icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
>> though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
>> deleted with the app.

Android PlayStore Warning APK v1 signature scheme

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I just got this message when submitting a new app to the PlayStore

Your APK is only signed using the APK v1 signature scheme. This will fail to install in versions of Android equal or higher to 11 if the android:targetSdkVersion is set to 30 or higher. Please use apksigner to sign your APK or switch to the Android App Bundle to fix this.

Does anyone know what the deal is here?

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: Android PlayStore Warning APK v1 signature scheme

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I think you need to use PKCS12 industry standard format instead of the
normal keystore. You can import your existing key via command prompt.
Keytool -importkeystore -srckeystore yourapp.keystore -destkeystore
yourapp.keystore -deststoretype pkcs12

Op wo 14 okt. 2020 18:17 schreef Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <
[hidden email]>:

> I just got this message when submitting a new app to the PlayStore
>
> Your APK is only signed using the APK v1 signature scheme. This will fail
> to install in versions of Android equal or higher to 11 if the
> android:targetSdkVersion is set to 30 or higher. Please use apksigner to
> sign your APK or switch to the Android App Bundle to fix this.
>
> Does anyone know what the deal is here?
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

RE: Android PlayStore Warning APK v1 signature scheme

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]
Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11
Cell: 518-796-9332
Thanks!

One interesting thing is that keytool requires the keystore and the alias
passwords to be the same. I had them as different. Although you can change
the alias password with other tools I left them the same for now.

Question: Do you know if the key-pair or fingerprints will change? In
otherwords can I update an existing app after converting the keystore to
PKCS12?

[hidden email]>:

> I just got this message when submitting a new app to the PlayStore
>
> Your APK is only signed using the APK v1 signature scheme. This will
> fail to install in versions of Android equal or higher to 11 if the
> android:targetSdkVersion is set to 30 or higher. Please use apksigner
> to sign your APK or switch to the Android App Bundle to fix this.
>
> Does anyone know what the deal is here?
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

Re: Android PlayStore Warning APK v1 signature scheme

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Good question. I'm not 100% sure, but if I'm correct you can update. So I
don't think the keypair will change. I've not had the error you have, and
I've updated with lc961 which uses the correct target. So i made the normal
keystore and did the thing as in the previous mail and had no problems as
far as i know. Only thing is lc accepts only .keystore. Most probably as
long the reversed dns name com.appname.blabla is not changed and you
increase the version nr, also when an app is wrong or declined, then it
should go ok.