Threading (plus random question)

Rod McCall-2
Dear All,

I asked a similar question a few years back, but is threading now supported
in LiveCode? Or indeed are there any plans to support it?

Out of curiosity does anyone else have problems with the script editor
closing when the Enter key on the numeric keypad is pressed? (Keyboard:
Swiss German).

I am using LC 8.02.

Kind regards,

Rod

Rod McCall
Researcher on HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
www.rodmc.com
twitter: rodlux

Yes
LC 8.1 RC1

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Kerner
It still is not directly supported, you still do it the "old" way - one app
launches and messages multiple instances of the "process" apps.
I only occasionally have an issue where KB enter closes the SE, but usually
it is when all tabs are green.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Rod McCall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I asked a similar question a few years back, but is threading now supported
> in LiveCode? Or indeed are there any plans to support it?
>
> Out of curiosity does anyone else have problems with the script editor
> closing when the Enter key on the numeric keypad is pressed? (Keyboard:
> Swiss German).
>
> I am using LC 8.02.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rod
>
> Rod McCall
> Researcher on HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
> www.rodmc.com
> twitter: rodlux

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Bonner
IIRC thats the editor tabs closing on enter is a feature.  Press once on a
dirty tab and it compiles, press it on a green tab and it closes. I think
the purpose is to speed up quicky edits.   Open the editor, make a change,
tap enter twice and the change is applied and gone.

Unfortunately, a clumsy person like me sometimes holds the enter key a hair
too long, or accidentally taps enter while the script editor is focused...
poof, tabs closing all over the place. :)  especially with the first
option, because keyboard repeat is FAST.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It still is not directly supported, you still do it the "old" way - one app
> launches and messages multiple instances of the "process" apps.
> I only occasionally have an issue where KB enter closes the SE, but usually
> it is when all tabs are green.
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Rod McCall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I asked a similar question a few years back, but is threading now
> supported
> > in LiveCode? Or indeed are there any plans to support it?
> >
> > Out of curiosity does anyone else have problems with the script editor
> > closing when the Enter key on the numeric keypad is pressed? (Keyboard:
> > Swiss German).
> >
> > I am using LC 8.02.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Rod
> >
> > Rod McCall
> > Researcher on HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
> > www.rodmc.com
> > twitter: rodlux

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Monte Goulding-2
I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 8 Sep 2016, at 10:58 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Open the editor, make a change,
> tap enter twice and the change is applied and gone

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Kerner
Yes, it's an old, old, old feature from HC, if I remember, but sometimes I
wind up with the focus going from the IDE to the SE for some reason (and
sometimes the other way, but that seems to have been mostly fixed in 8.1, I
believe), so I think I'm finishing a property edit in the IDE, but instead
the SE disappears when I hit Enter.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IIRC thats the editor tabs closing on enter is a feature.  Press once on a
> dirty tab and it compiles, press it on a green tab and it closes. I think
> the purpose is to speed up quicky edits.   Open the editor, make a change,
> tap enter twice and the change is applied and gone.
>
> Unfortunately, a clumsy person like me sometimes holds the enter key a hair
> too long, or accidentally taps enter while the script editor is focused...
> poof, tabs closing all over the place. :)  especially with the first
> option, because keyboard repeat is FAST.
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > It still is not directly supported, you still do it the "old" way - one
> app
> > launches and messages multiple instances of the "process" apps.
> > I only occasionally have an issue where KB enter closes the SE, but
> usually
> > it is when all tabs are green.
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Rod McCall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > I asked a similar question a few years back, but is threading now
> > supported
> > > in LiveCode? Or indeed are there any plans to support it?
> > >
> > > Out of curiosity does anyone else have problems with the script editor
> > > closing when the Enter key on the numeric keypad is pressed? (Keyboard:
> > > Swiss German).
> > >
> > > I am using LC 8.02.
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Rod
> > >
> > > Rod McCall
> > > Researcher on HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
> > > www.rodmc.com
> > > twitter: rodlux
> > >

> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >    and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Kerner
Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I
get the focus flip.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an
> applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 8 Sep 2016, at 10:58 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Open the editor, make a change,
> > tap enter twice and the change is applied and gone

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Rod McCall-2
From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...

Rod McCall
Researcher: HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
www.rodmc.com
twitter: rodlux

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I
> get the focus flip.
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an
> > applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On 8 Sep 2016, at 10:58 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Open the editor, make a change,
> > > tap enter twice and the change is applied and gone

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
"From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts... "

Please! Don't make us have go to the mouse to close an SE tab...i love the feature (hit enter twice)

Not screaming.  Just sayin' got a bad enough wrist as it is ....

In fact more robust, user configurable keyboard short cuts for the SE would great.

What key stroke will take you back and forth between open SE tabs?

( from my mobile )

From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...

www.rodmc.com<http://www.rodmc.com>

wrote:

> Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I
> get the focus flip.
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an
> > applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On 8 Sep 2016, at 10:58 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Open the editor, make a change,
> > > tap enter twice and the change is applied and gone

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Script Editor focus (was Re: Threading (plus random question)_

Ben Rubinstein
FWIW I use enter to compile, and then close, the Script Editor all the time -
hardly ever use the mouse - and have never to the best of my recollection had
problems with too many tabs closing. Maybe my keyboard repeat is slower than
other peoples?

I'm not sure how hard I'd scream if enter to close was removed. I'd scream
pretty hard if enter to compile was removed.

To hijack the thread a little (more) the change in LC8 that is irritating me
is that if the script editor is invoked for a script that's already open, the
appropriate tab is activated, but the window isn't brought to the front - so
in some cases it appears that the command has been ignored. This is new in LC8.

Ben

On 08/09/2016 14:34, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

> "From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts... "
>
> Please! Don't make us have go to the mouse to close an SE tab...i love the feature (hit enter twice)
>
> Not screaming.  Just sayin' got a bad enough wrist as it is ....
>
> In fact more robust, user configurable keyboard short cuts for the SE would great.
>
> What key stroke will take you back and forth between open SE tabs?
>
> ( from my mobile )
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM -1000, "Rod McCall" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>>From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...
>
> Rod McCall
> Researcher: HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
> www.rodmc.com<http://www.rodmc.com>
> twitter: rodlux
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I
>> get the focus flip.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an
>>> applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Kerner
I have a number of preferences that I'd like to add, anyway, so this is a
great time to talk about them, and maybe get a little community project
going.
Here are some others:
• Relative paths:  I use multiple machines, and even though I store
everything in Google Drive, the usernames aren't the same.  Thus, my
extensions location, "Copy Files" locations, build locations would all be
starting with ~ instead of the absolute path to the user
• Shortcut to switch between browse and pointer
• Width of version number in standalone is too narrow

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> "From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts... "
>
> Please! Don't make us have go to the mouse to close an SE tab...i love the
> feature (hit enter twice)
>
> Not screaming.  Just sayin' got a bad enough wrist as it is ....
>
> In fact more robust, user configurable keyboard short cuts for the SE
> would great.
>
> What key stroke will take you back and forth between open SE tabs?
>
> ( from my mobile )
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM -1000, "Rod McCall" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...
>
> Rod McCall
> Researcher: HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
> www.rodmc.com<http://www.rodmc.com>
> twitter: rodlux
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I
> > get the focus flip.
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an
> > > applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.
> > >
> > > Sent from my iPhone

> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >    and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Bonner
Despite my own clumsiness issues, I like it the way it is.  (if everything
that was affected by my fluctuating dexterity was "fixed"  all that would
be left is one really big hard to press button)

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have a number of preferences that I'd like to add, anyway, so this is a
> great time to talk about them, and maybe get a little community project
> going.
> Here are some others:
> • Relative paths:  I use multiple machines, and even though I store
> everything in Google Drive, the usernames aren't the same.  Thus, my
> extensions location, "Copy Files" locations, build locations would all be
> starting with ~ instead of the absolute path to the user
> • Shortcut to switch between browse and pointer
> • Width of version number in standalone is too narrow
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > "From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts... "
> >
> > Please! Don't make us have go to the mouse to close an SE tab...i love
> the
> > feature (hit enter twice)
> >
> > Not screaming.  Just sayin' got a bad enough wrist as it is ....
> >
> > In fact more robust, user configurable keyboard short cuts for the SE
> > would great.
> >
> > What key stroke will take you back and forth between open SE tabs?
> >
> > ( from my mobile )
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM -1000, "Rod McCall" <
> [hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...
> >
> > Rod McCall
> > Researcher: HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
> > www.rodmc.com<http://www.rodmc.com>
> > twitter: rodlux
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except
> when I
> > > get the focus flip.

> an

> > > --
> > > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> > >    and did a little diving.
> > > And God said, "This is good."

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Script Editor focus (was Re: Threading (plus random question)_

Mike Kerner
This may be related to fixing the other focus issue that was causing me to
toss lappies about, namely when the SE LOST the focus, and a
delete/backspace caused carefully crafted objects to magically die (while
their SE tab remained open).

I'm with you, I like the enter shortcut, but I'm also all for adding a
preference to let the developer decide.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Ben Rubinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW I use enter to compile, and then close, the Script Editor all the
> time - hardly ever use the mouse - and have never to the best of my
> recollection had problems with too many tabs closing. Maybe my keyboard
> repeat is slower than other peoples?
>
> I'm not sure how hard I'd scream if enter to close was removed. I'd scream
> pretty hard if enter to compile was removed.
>
> To hijack the thread a little (more) the change in LC8 that is irritating
> me is that if the script editor is invoked for a script that's already
> open, the appropriate tab is activated, but the window isn't brought to the
> front - so in some cases it appears that the command has been ignored. This
> is new in LC8.
>
> Ben
>
> On 08/09/2016 14:34, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
>
>> "From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts... "
>>
>> Please! Don't make us have go to the mouse to close an SE tab...i love
>> the feature (hit enter twice)
>>
>> Not screaming.  Just sayin' got a bad enough wrist as it is ....
>>
>> In fact more robust, user configurable keyboard short cuts for the SE
>> would great.
>>
>> What key stroke will take you back and forth between open SE tabs?
>>
>> ( from my mobile )
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM -1000, "Rod McCall" <
>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...
>>>

>> Rod McCall
>> Researcher: HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
>> www.rodmc.com<http://www.rodmc.com>
>> twitter: rodlux
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I
>>> get the focus flip.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

J. Landman Gay
I use it all the time, more than any other method. What's the "focus flip"?
What other issues are there?

On September 8, 2016 8:25:33 AM Rod McCall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...
>
> Rod McCall
> Researcher: HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
> www.rodmc.com
> twitter: rodlux
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I
>> get the focus flip.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an
>> > applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.
>> >
>> > Sent from my iPhone

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>    and did a little diving.
>> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

mwieder
On 09/08/2016 06:52 AM, Mike Kerner wrote:

> • Shortcut to switch between browse and pointer

control-tab?

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Script Editor focus (was Re: Threading (plus random question)_

J. Landman Gay
The "window appears behind" problem happens with the dictionary too when
you choose to look up a term using the contextual menu in the script editor.

Is there a bug report on this? I'll add a comment.

On September 8, 2016 9:42:56 AM Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This may be related to fixing the other focus issue that was causing me to
> toss lappies about, namely when the SE LOST the focus, and a
> delete/backspace caused carefully crafted objects to magically die (while
> their SE tab remained open).
>
> I'm with you, I like the enter shortcut, but I'm also all for adding a
> preference to let the developer decide.
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Ben Rubinstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> FWIW I use enter to compile, and then close, the Script Editor all the
>> time - hardly ever use the mouse - and have never to the best of my
>> recollection had problems with too many tabs closing. Maybe my keyboard
>> repeat is slower than other peoples?
>>
>> I'm not sure how hard I'd scream if enter to close was removed. I'd scream
>> pretty hard if enter to compile was removed.
>>
>> To hijack the thread a little (more) the change in LC8 that is irritating
>> me is that if the script editor is invoked for a script that's already
>> open, the appropriate tab is activated, but the window isn't brought to the
>> front - so in some cases it appears that the command has been ignored. This
>> is new in LC8.
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> On 08/09/2016 14:34, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
>>
>>> "From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts... "
>>>
>>> Please! Don't make us have go to the mouse to close an SE tab...i love
>>> the feature (hit enter twice)
>>>
>>> Not screaming.  Just sayin' got a bad enough wrist as it is ....
>>>
>>> In fact more robust, user configurable keyboard short cuts for the SE
>>> would great.
>>>
>>> What key stroke will take you back and forth between open SE tabs?
>>>
>>> ( from my mobile )
>>>

>>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:23 AM -1000, "Rod McCall" <
>>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> From my perspective the Enter key issue is driving me nuts...
>>>>

>>> Rod McCall
>>> Researcher: HCI, Augmented Reality, Games and In-car Systems
>>> www.rodmc.com<http://www.rodmc.com>
>>> twitter: rodlux
>>>

>>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Monte, why not make it a preference?  I personally like it, except when I

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Kerner
ctrl-tab is a good idea, that's what you use in a browser

The focus flip is a problem that causes the ide window to get the focus
when the script editor had the focus (or vice versa).  I forget the bug
number, but you could be editing scripts in the SE, hit backspace, and wind
up deleting the object whose script you were editing (because you had
clicked on the object, right-clicked, and then picked "Edit Script").  I've
also had it go the other way, where I had the property inspector open and
the SE, and when I was editing a property and hit Enter, the SE would get
the event.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:53 AM, ahsoftware <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/08/2016 06:52 AM, Mike Kerner wrote:
>
> • Shortcut to switch between browse and pointer
>>

> control-tab?
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Devin Asay

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 7:18 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I wonder how many people would scream if we removed the enter closes an applied tab feature? Keep enter to apply though.

Keep it please. I use it constantly and it saves a lot of mousing.

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Devin Asay

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 8:53 AM, ahsoftware <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 09/08/2016 06:52 AM, Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>> • Shortcut to switch between browse and pointer
>
> control-tab?

And Cmd/cntl - 9 for Browse/run mode and cmd/cntl - 0 for pointer/edit mode.

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Threading (plus random question)

Mike Kerner
The thing I don't like about ctrl/cmd 0 and 9 is that it's an awkward reach
when you're trying to do it by touch, and if you're right-handed, you can't
do it while having your right on the mouse or trackpad, either.  ctrl/cmd-`
would be better IMHO, not that I miss HC's cmd-tab, or anything.  I'd also
like it to be a toggle, but I can understand folks wanting it to be two
separate keys.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Devin Asay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Sep 8, 2016, at 8:53 AM, ahsoftware <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 09/08/2016 06:52 AM, Mike Kerner wrote:
> >
> >> • Shortcut to switch between browse and pointer
> >
> > control-tab?
>
> And Cmd/cntl - 9 for Browse/run mode and cmd/cntl - 0 for pointer/edit
> mode.
>
> Devin
>

> Devin Asay
> Director