Transitioning to LiveCode 9...

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
First, I love all the things added to LiveCode 9 and, while I haven;t
had a chance to download 9.0.1 yet, I am sure it (and 9.0.2, etc.) will
just keep getting better.

However, I must vent that transitioning old stack to LC9 is now always
easy. In some ways (text handling) I find the degree of compatibility
amazing, but in others I run into a lot of code to change.

I am transitioning a large app built under LC6.7.11 and ran into the
following:

In LC6.7.11 you could say 'set the effective label of button X to Y' and
it worked (it essentially ignored the 'effective' keyword and set the
label property). Now this is not sound syntax and I have no idea why the
code (which has had many developers work on it) used the 'effective'
keyword in a set statement. I suspect "Copy and Paste" was the cuprit.
Irregardless, it works in LC6.7.11

In LC9.0.0, the same line, 'set the effective label of button X to Y'
throws a syntax error (probably rightly so!). However, it does mean I
now have to change what seems like a zillion instances of 'set the
effective label ...' to just 'set the label ...'

Uggh!

Re: Transitioning to LiveCode 9...

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Use the Find and Replace dialog (Edit menu) and you can change them all
with a single click.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On July 10, 2018 1:23:04 PM Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> First, I love all the things added to LiveCode 9 and, while I haven;t
> had a chance to download 9.0.1 yet, I am sure it (and 9.0.2, etc.) will
> just keep getting better.
>
> However, I must vent that transitioning old stack to LC9 is now always
> easy. In some ways (text handling) I find the degree of compatibility
> amazing, but in others I run into a lot of code to change.
>
> I am transitioning a large app built under LC6.7.11 and ran into the
> following:
>
> In LC6.7.11 you could say 'set the effective label of button X to Y' and
> it worked (it essentially ignored the 'effective' keyword and set the
> label property). Now this is not sound syntax and I have no idea why the
> code (which has had many developers work on it) used the 'effective'
> keyword in a set statement. I suspect "Copy and Paste" was the cuprit.
> Irregardless, it works in LC6.7.11
>
> In LC9.0.0, the same line, 'set the effective label of button X to Y'
> throws a syntax error (probably rightly so!). However, it does mean I
> now have to change what seems like a zillion instances of 'set the
> effective label ...' to just 'set the label ...'
>
> Uggh!

Re: Transitioning to LiveCode 9...

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Well you will be glad to know the search (and replace) feature has been so vastly improved that what used to take over a minute to search all substacks for, now takes 3 or 4 seconds. The replace function is just as fast. You could search for "the effective label" and replace it with "the label" with I think, complete confidence, in all your scripts all at once.

I wouldn't try globally replacing variables beginning with "the" with "t" of course, that would be disastrous. :-)

Bob S

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 11:20 , Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In LC6.7.11 you could say 'set the effective label of button X to Y' and
> it worked (it essentially ignored the 'effective' keyword and set the
> label property). Now this is not sound syntax and I have no idea why the
> code (which has had many developers work on it) used the 'effective'
> keyword in a set statement. I suspect "Copy and Paste" was the cuprit.
> Irregardless, it works in LC6.7.11
>
> In LC9.0.0, the same line, 'set the effective label of button X to Y'
> throws a syntax error (probably rightly so!). However, it does mean I
> now have to change what seems like a zillion instances of 'set the
> effective label ...' to just 'set the label ...'
>
> Uggh!

Re: Transitioning to LiveCode 9...

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
My way of saying it sounded better. More words. ;-)

Bob S

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 13:09 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Use the Find and Replace dialog (Edit menu) and you can change them all with a single click.
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

Re: Transitioning to LiveCode 9...

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
wonder how that optimization happened .... big improvement.  might go look
into the ide code.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 4:31 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> My way of saying it sounded better. More words. ;-)
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jul 10, 2018, at 13:09 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Use the Find and Replace dialog (Edit menu) and you can change them all
> with a single click.
> > --
> > Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> > HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Transitioning to LiveCode 9...

Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode
Thanks all!

I had given up on using find and replace in the IDE many version ago.
The performance and assorted glitchy issues just led me to keep a text
file with the all my scripts and search that with a text editor and then
go open the specific object script in the IDE to change something.

With the endorsements of LC9's find and replace and made a back up of
the app and gave it a try. You are 100% right, super fast and super
accurate!