Trevor DeVore interviews CTO and CEO

Heather Laine-2
Dear List Folks,

Great interview just been posted to the blog! Some searching questions from Trevor :)

https://livecode.com/trevor-devore-interviews-kevin-mark-on-infinite-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/trevor-devore-interviews-kevin-mark-on-infinite-livecode/>

Enjoy.

Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
LiveCode Ltd
www.livecode.com

Re: Trevor DeVore interviews CTO and CEO

Wprothero
Great interview! I can only imagine what the dev team went through to do this project. I'm happy to double my pledge. With this campaign, and  the great foundation that has been laid with the first Kickstarter campaign, new feature and tools should come out much faster.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On May 19, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Heather Laine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear List Folks,
>
> Great interview just been posted to the blog! Some searching questions from Trevor :)
>
> https://livecode.com/trevor-devore-interviews-kevin-mark-on-infinite-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/trevor-devore-interviews-kevin-mark-on-infinite-livecode/>
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Heather
>
> Heather Laine
> Customer Services Manager
> LiveCode Ltd
> www.livecode.com

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Trevor DeVore interviews CTO and CEO

Bob Sneidar-2
Years ago, a company called Now Software decided it was time to refactor their aging code base to produce a more modern application that would be much easier to develop new features for. They wanted to switch from a proprietary database to a SQL base so that it would be easier to create other applications that could interface with the data.

They stumbled along for about two years, not really getting very far, producing a few alphas, and in the end they not only gave up, but they closed their doors and stopped distributing the software altogether. So my favorite multiuser contact, to-do, and calendar application I depended on, which many argued was the best in the business at the time, fell into ruin, because they took on this obviously gargantuan task.

This was my fear for Livecode when I heard of what they were about to attempt, and I fairly held my breath the whole time. But here we are today, and the nearly unattainable has been attained, and I for one take my hat off to all the developers and salute them. We all know how easy it is to start something, and how hard it is to finish it (finishing something is, by the way in my estimation, a myth).

The fact that we are here should instill great confidence in us all that the developers at Runrev can pull off pretty much what they set their minds to, and I can attest to the fact that I am much more motivated about my own projects when someone looks at them and says, "Hey, I could really use that!"

I guess what I am saying in a roundabout way is we ought to pause as the Livecode community and temper our criticism about what isn't in LC8, and consider how it would be if there was no LC8 at all, and furthermore no RunRev anymore. <shudder>.

Bob S

RH

Re: Trevor DeVore interviews CTO and CEO

RH
I really liked your words, Bob .

I once managed a developer team coming from far. One of the guys wanted to
learn skiing and I had a wild thought, I bring him up to the highest peak
of the mountains above 10,000 feet, and we just try. It took almost a full
day to go down the slopes. I never ever critizised, only cheered him up for
every right move he did. At the end of that day he could no longer move,
but he had learned skiing, and the next day he went on his own.

It was a fantastic experience, for me, and for him, and even years later we
enjoyed the memory of it.

I also feel like cheering up this fantastic team, and all the creative
people here, and let us go to the highest peak, nothing less, never giving
up, moving ahead, supporting, and focusing attention to the right moves.
Such attitude supports our own set of skills mastering the fulfillment of
our own ideas. All are the team.

Roland

On May 19, 2016 23:50, "Bob Sneidar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Years ago, a company called Now Software decided it was time to refactor
> their aging code base to produce a more modern application that would be
> much easier to develop new features for. They wanted to switch from a
> proprietary database to a SQL base so that it would be easier to create
> other applications that could interface with the data.
>
> They stumbled along for about two years, not really getting very far,
> producing a few alphas, and in the end they not only gave up, but they
> closed their doors and stopped distributing the software altogether. So my
> favorite multiuser contact, to-do, and calendar application I depended on,
> which many argued was the best in the business at the time, fell into ruin,
> because they took on this obviously gargantuan task.
>
> This was my fear for Livecode when I heard of what they were about to
> attempt, and I fairly held my breath the whole time. But here we are today,
> and the nearly unattainable has been attained, and I for one take my hat
> off to all the developers and salute them. We all know how easy it is to
> start something, and how hard it is to finish it (finishing something is,
> by the way in my estimation, a myth).
>
> The fact that we are here should instill great confidence in us all that
> the developers at Runrev can pull off pretty much what they set their minds
> to, and I can attest to the fact that I am much more motivated about my own
> projects when someone looks at them and says, "Hey, I could really use
> that!"
>
> I guess what I am saying in a roundabout way is we ought to pause as the
> Livecode community and temper our criticism about what isn't in LC8, and
> consider how it would be if there was no LC8 at all, and furthermore no
> RunRev anymore. <shudder>.
>
> Bob S
>

> On May 19, 2016, at 08:39 , Heather Laine <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Dear List Folks,
>
> Great interview just been posted to the blog! Some searching questions
> from Trevor :)
>

> https://livecode.com/trevor-devore-interviews-kevin-mark-on-infinite-livecode/
> <
> https://livecode.com/trevor-devore-interviews-kevin-mark-on-infinite-livecode/
> >

> Enjoy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Heather
>
> Heather Laine

Re: Trevor DeVore interviews CTO and CEO

Dave Kilroy
Roland I really liked your words!

The best skiing is when you are a bit scared - the best goals are the scary goals

LiveCode workers I take my hat off to you all

PS: wanna go skiing?
Peter M. Brigham
RH

Re: Trevor DeVore interviews CTO and CEO

RH
Anyone interested in skiing the Swiss alpes next winter season - just
contact me off-list ).

Just raised my pledge to $500.
On May 20, 2016 11:41 AM, "Dave Kilroy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Roland I really liked your words!
>
> The best skiing is when you are a bit scared - the best goals are the scary
> goals
>
> LiveCode workers I take my hat off to you all
>
> PS: wanna go skiing?
>

> -----
> "The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes
> the other 90% of the time."
> Peter M. Brigham

Re: Trevor DeVore interviews CTO and CEO

mwieder
On 05/19/2016 08:39 AM, Heather Laine wrote:
> Dear List Folks,
>
> Great interview just been posted to the blog!

Finally got around to reading this today. Great questions, Trevor!
And wide-ranging, thoughtful answers from Kevin and Mark. If I needed
reassuring that we were on the right track (I don't), this would have
done the trick.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com