Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Hello,

With LC 8.1.2 I changed the video standard in my programs from Quicktime to
the new standard interface DirectShow on Windows. I recoded all videos to
mp4 with Intel QSV H.264.

On my developing W10 machine everything works fine in the IDE and
standalone. Now after release it looks like my developing machine is "the
only one" which can play the new videos in my new LiveCode program.

On a W7, W8 and other W10 machine I get the error "could not create movie
reference" when setting the filename of the player object.

Actually the DirectShow standard should be available from W7 to W10 and when
just double clicking the video, it can be played on all those other machines
with the standard video player, so it doesn't seem to be an codec issue. On
the other hand something from the environment must be different on my
developing machine.

I also tried to build a new standalone with LC 9.0 dp3, but testing the
standalone it show the same issue.

Has anybody any idea, where to start searching?

What could be different on my developing machine as on all other machines?

Are there any known system requirements for using DirectShow? (which I have
set unconsciously on my machine)

Thanks for any ideas

Tiemo

Re: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Make sure your file references to the movie are relative and not absolute. I’ve made that mistake once or twice.

Tim Bleiler, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer, HSIT
University at Buffalo

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> With LC 8.1.2 I changed the video standard in my programs from Quicktime to
> the new standard interface DirectShow on Windows. I recoded all videos to
> mp4 with Intel QSV H.264.
>
> On my developing W10 machine everything works fine in the IDE and
> standalone. Now after release it looks like my developing machine is "the
> only one" which can play the new videos in my new LiveCode program.
>
> On a W7, W8 and other W10 machine I get the error "could not create movie
> reference" when setting the filename of the player object.
>
> Actually the DirectShow standard should be available from W7 to W10 and when
> just double clicking the video, it can be played on all those other machines
> with the standard video player, so it doesn't seem to be an codec issue. On
> the other hand something from the environment must be different on my
> developing machine.
>
> I also tried to build a new standalone with LC 9.0 dp3, but testing the
> standalone it show the same issue.
>

> Has anybody any idea, where to start searching?
>
> What could be different on my developing machine as on all other machines?
>
> Are there any known system requirements for using DirectShow? (which I have
> set unconsciously on my machine)
>

> Thanks for any ideas
>
> Tiemo

AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Hi Tim,

choosing a video file via ask dialog and setting the filename of the player object to it sets an absolute path and that works on my machine fine.

Thank you for that hint

Tiemo

Make sure your file references to the movie are relative and not absolute. I’ve made that mistake once or twice.

Tim Bleiler, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer, HSIT
University at Buffalo

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> With LC 8.1.2 I changed the video standard in my programs from
> Quicktime to the new standard interface DirectShow on Windows. I
> recoded all videos to
> mp4 with Intel QSV H.264.
>
> On my developing W10 machine everything works fine in the IDE and
> standalone. Now after release it looks like my developing machine is
> "the only one" which can play the new videos in my new LiveCode program.
>
> On a W7, W8 and other W10 machine I get the error "could not create
> movie reference" when setting the filename of the player object.
>
> Actually the DirectShow standard should be available from W7 to W10
> and when just double clicking the video, it can be played on all those
> other machines with the standard video player, so it doesn't seem to
> be an codec issue. On the other hand something from the environment
> must be different on my developing machine.
>
> I also tried to build a new standalone with LC 9.0 dp3, but testing
> the standalone it show the same issue.
>

> Has anybody any idea, where to start searching?
>
> What could be different on my developing machine as on all other machines?
>
> Are there any known system requirements for using DirectShow? (which I
> have set unconsciously on my machine)
>

> Thanks for any ideas
>
> Tiemo

AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Making some further tests, I discovered that there must be a relation to mp4
video files.
I tested the same standalone with an old avi file and that worked, but not
with some different mp4 files
But it can't be something in general, because the mp4 file can be played
fine with the same standalone on my W10 machine.
So I am still searching for an idea, what could be different on my machine
to "all" others.

Tiemo

Re: AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Do the other machines have the mp4 codec installed? Most versions of
Windows didn't ship with it, you had to install it separately.

On March 7, 2017 9:32:22 AM Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Making some further tests, I discovered that there must be a relation to mp4
> video files.
> I tested the same standalone with an old avi file and that worked, but not
> with some different mp4 files
> But it can't be something in general, because the mp4 file can be played
> fine with the same standalone on my W10 machine.
> So I am still searching for an idea, what could be different on my machine
> to "all" others.
>
> Tiemo

hmm, I didn't knew, that this codec is a hardware based codec. Do you think it definitely is tied to special intel hardware and won't run on every hardware and can't be added by a software codec? Btw. It runs also fine on my iMac.

That would be really bad for me, because it was the only codec my Sorenson squeeze offered me for H.264, where I can step frame by frame thru the video, what is a must for my app.

Tiemo

AW: AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Hi Jacque,

that's what I also already thought of. But I haven't found yet, how/where I could check for it. I have an old nice tool, called gspot, which usually tells me everything about any video, but it doesn't work with theses H.264 mp4's.  I was on the intel site and downloaded a media sdk, installed it on one of those not working machines, but without success. But actually I don't even know, if that codec is part of that media sdk, they don't describe the detailed content. So it was a shot into the dark and I didn't found yet a dedicated download for that codec.

Tiemo

Do the other machines have the mp4 codec installed? Most versions of Windows didn't ship with it, you had to install it separately.

On March 7, 2017 9:32:22 AM Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Making some further tests, I discovered that there must be a relation
> to mp4 video files.
> I tested the same standalone with an old avi file and that worked, but
> not with some different mp4 files But it can't be something in
> general, because the mp4 file can be played fine with the same
> standalone on my W10 machine.
> So I am still searching for an idea, what could be different on my
> machine to "all" others.
>
> Tiemo

... and as I mentioned, the videos play fine on all machines outside of LiveCode in the standard platform videoPlayer, what says to me that it can't be a codec issue - as far as I see

Tiemo

that's what I also already thought of. But I haven't found yet, how/where I could check for it. I have an old nice tool, called gspot, which usually tells me everything about any video, but it doesn't work with theses H.264 mp4's.  I was on the intel site and downloaded a media sdk, installed it on one of those not working machines, but without success. But actually I don't even know, if that codec is part of that media sdk, they don't describe the detailed content. So it was a shot into the dark and I didn't found yet a dedicated download for that codec.

Tiemo

Do the other machines have the mp4 codec installed? Most versions of Windows didn't ship with it, you had to install it separately.

On March 7, 2017 9:32:22 AM Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Making some further tests, I discovered that there must be a relation
> to mp4 video files.
> I tested the same standalone with an old avi file and that worked, but
> not with some different mp4 files But it can't be something in
> general, because the mp4 file can be played fine with the same
> standalone on my W10 machine.
> So I am still searching for an idea, what could be different on my
> machine to "all" others.
>
> Tiemo

Re: AW: AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
If you pick the video file with a file dialog and set the filename of
the player to "it", will it play then? If so, maybe you're having a path
issue.

Phil Davis

On 3/7/17 8:51 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:

> ... and as I mentioned, the videos play fine on all machines outside of LiveCode in the standard platform videoPlayer, what says to me that it can't be a codec issue - as far as I see
>
> Tiemo

Phil Davis

AW: AW: AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Yes, it plays fine on my development machine by selecting it via a dialog, but not on the other machines.

Tiemo

If you pick the video file with a file dialog and set the filename of the player to "it", will it play then? If so, maybe you're having a path issue.

Phil Davis

On 3/7/17 8:51 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:

> ... and as I mentioned, the videos play fine on all machines outside
> of LiveCode in the standard platform videoPlayer, what says to me that
> it can't be a codec issue - as far as I see
>
> Tiemo

Phil Davis

Re: AW: AW: AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Is it possible there is some kind of permissions issue on the other
machines? (Shooting in the dark here - I'm not up on Windows permissions
but maybe you are.)

Phil

On 3/7/17 9:47 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:

> Yes, it plays fine on my development machine by selecting it via a dialog, but not on the other machines.
>
> Tiemo

Phil Davis

Re: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Hi Tiemo,

just made a little test on my "stock" Win10 installation (Parallels on my Mac).

WindowsMediaPlayer plays any MP4 fine, but nothing appears in the player of Livecode!?
So this is definitively a LC issue!

Then I downloaded and installed the latest LAVFilter codec package:
<https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases>
Et voila, I can play these MP4, which did not play before, in LC!?
Does not make any sense actually!?

> On 3/7/17 9:47 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
>> Yes, it plays fine on my development machine by selecting it via a dialog, but not on the other machines.
>>
>> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Hi Tiemo,

just made a little test on my "stock" Win10 installation (Parallels on my Mac).

WindowsMediaPlayer plays any MP4 fine, but nothing appears in the player of Livecode!?
So this is definitively a LC issue!

Then I downloaded and installed the latest LAVFilter codec package:
<https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases>
Et voila, I can play these MP4, which did not play before, in LC!?
Does not make any sense actually!?

> On 3/7/17 9:47 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
>> Yes, it plays fine on my development machine by selecting it via a dialog, but not on the other machines.
>>
>> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Additional info:
All my MP4s are created with Handbrake with the open source x264 (H.264) codec
and run even fine out of the box on my big LG flatscreen (driven by WebOS)!

> Am 07.03.2017 um 19:24 schrieb Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Tiemo,
>
> just made a little test on my "stock" Win10 installation (Parallels on my Mac).
>
> WindowsMediaPlayer plays any MP4 fine, but nothing appears in the player of Livecode!?
> So this is definitively a LC issue!
>
> Then I downloaded and installed the latest LAVFilter codec package:
> <https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases>
> Et voila, I can play these MP4, which did not play before, in LC!?
> Does not make any sense actually!?
>
>> On 3/7/17 9:47 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Yes, it plays fine on my development machine by selecting it via a dialog, but not on the other machines.
>>>
>>> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Hey Klaus,

you saved my YEAR!

As you mentioned "LAVFilters", I remembered that I also had installed the
LAV Filters on my development machine long time ago (my brain gets old), et
voila, that’s the difference between my machine and the others.

Installing the LAV Filters (just with the mp4 option) on the other machines
now the mp4 videos also run within LiveCode. I think that’s too deep under
the hood that I can understand it, but I have a solution for my customers.

I'll file it anyhow at the QC because it still keeps strange, why mp4 videos
can be played outside of LC, but not with LC.

Thanks a lot for fiddling around!
Tiemo

just made a little test on my "stock" Win10 installation (Parallels on my
Mac).

WindowsMediaPlayer plays any MP4 fine, but nothing appears in the player of
Livecode!?
So this is definitively a LC issue!

Then I downloaded and installed the latest LAVFilter codec package:
<https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases>
Et voila, I can play these MP4, which did not play before, in LC!?
Does not make any sense actually!?

> On 3/7/17 9:47 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
>> Yes, it plays fine on my development machine by selecting it via a
dialog, but not on the other machines.

>> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Hi Tiemo,

> Am 08.03.2017 um 09:07 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey Klaus,
>
> you saved my YEAR!

OK, das macht dann fünf Mark! :-D

> As you mentioned "LAVFilters", I remembered that I also had installed the
> LAV Filters on my development machine long time ago (my brain gets old), et
> voila, that’s the difference between my machine and the others.
>
> Installing the LAV Filters (just with the mp4 option) on the other machines
> now the mp4 videos also run within LiveCode. I think that’s too deep under
> the hood that I can understand it, but I have a solution for my customers.
>
> I'll file it anyhow at the QC because it still keeps strange, why mp4 videos
> can be played outside of LC, but not with LC.

You only need to report not fully understand it! ;-)

> Thanks a lot for fiddling around!
> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Kommste vorbei, kriegste 'nen Heiermann

> Am 08.03.2017 um 09:07 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey Klaus,
>
> you saved my YEAR!

OK, das macht dann fünf Mark! :-D

> As you mentioned "LAVFilters", I remembered that I also had installed
> the LAV Filters on my development machine long time ago (my brain gets
> old), et voila, that’s the difference between my machine and the others.
>
> Installing the LAV Filters (just with the mp4 option) on the other
> machines now the mp4 videos also run within LiveCode. I think that’s
> too deep under the hood that I can understand it, but I have a solution for my customers.
>
> I'll file it anyhow at the QC because it still keeps strange, why mp4
> videos can be played outside of LC, but not with LC.

You only need to report not fully understand it! ;-)

> Thanks a lot for fiddling around!
> Tiemo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode

> Am 08.03.2017 um 14:12 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Kommste vorbei, kriegste 'nen Heiermann

>> Am 08.03.2017 um 09:07 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hey Klaus,
>>
>> you saved my YEAR!
>
> OK, das macht dann fünf Mark! :-D
>
>> As you mentioned "LAVFilters", I remembered that I also had installed
>> the LAV Filters on my development machine long time ago (my brain gets
>> old), et voila, that’s the difference between my machine and the others.
>>
>> Installing the LAV Filters (just with the mp4 option) on the other
>> machines now the mp4 videos also run within LiveCode. I think that’s
>> too deep under the hood that I can understand it, but I have a solution for my customers.
>>
>> I'll file it anyhow at the QC because it still keeps strange, why mp4
>> videos can be played outside of LC, but not with LC.
>
> You only need to report not fully understand it! ;-)
>
>> Thanks a lot for fiddling around!
>> Tiemo
>> WindowsMediaPlayer plays any MP4 fine, but nothing appears in the
>> player of Livecode!?
>> So this is definitively a LC issue!
>>
>> Then I downloaded and installed the latest LAVFilter codec package:
>> <https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases>
>> Et voila, I can play these MP4, which did not play before, in LC!?

Best aus Osnabrück

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

AW: Trouble playing videos with MS DirectShow LC 8

Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode
Just FYI,
Ian from LC clarified the phenomenon that the mp4 videos could be played with the standard video player but not with the LC video player.

LiveCodes new video player object is based on the DirectShow API and the standard MS video players are based on the newer MS media foundation since Win 7. DirectShow doesn't supports mp4 videos without additional codecs (like from the LAV filters), but the media foundation does support mp4 without any extra codecs.

Tiemo