UDP Broadcast Problem

Goldman David
I am attempting to send out a UDP Broadcast with the following script:

on mouseUp
   put "255.255.255.255:5000" into theIP
   open datagram socket to theIP
   write "xx" to socket theIP
   put the result
   close socket theIP
end mouseUp

However what I get is: "error sending datagram", Further the
openSockets shows that 255.255.255.255:5000 is open.

My packet sniffer (MacSniffer) shows no activity - i.e. it really
doesn't seem to be sending anything.

If I change the address to anything other than 255.255.255.255 - say
0.255.255.255 - something happens.

Any idea why I can't send out the broadcast?

I'm using Rev 2.6.1 under OS X 10.4.4.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- David Goldman

Re: UDP Broadcast Problem

Alex Tweedly
Goldman David wrote:

> I am attempting to send out a UDP Broadcast with the following script:
>
> on mouseUp
>   put "255.255.255.255:5000" into theIP
>   open datagram socket to theIP
>   write "xx" to socket theIP
>   put the result
>   close socket theIP
> end mouseUp
>
> However what I get is: "error sending datagram", Further the
> openSockets shows that 255.255.255.255:5000 is open.

Your script (copy/pasted) works OK for me, on WinXP, 2.6.1  (and the
packets are received OK both on the same machine and another on the
network). Unfortunately, I have no Mac here, so can't try that.

> My packet sniffer (MacSniffer) shows no activity - i.e. it really
> doesn't seem to be sending anything.
>
> If I change the address to anything other than 255.255.255.255 - say
> 0.255.255.255 - something happens.
>
> Any idea why I can't send out the broadcast?

Firewall ?
Unprivileged account ?

I'm not much of a Mac user, so don't know what else to suggest ...

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: UDP Broadcast Problem

Alex Tweedly
Alex Tweedly wrote:

>> My packet sniffer (MacSniffer) shows no activity - i.e. it really
>> doesn't seem to be sending anything.
>>
>> If I change the address to anything other than 255.255.255.255 - say
>> 0.255.255.255 - something happens.
>>
>> Any idea why I can't send out the broadcast?
>>
> Firewall ?
> Unprivileged account ?
>
> I'm not much of a Mac user, so don't know what else to suggest ...

Another thought - 0.255.255.255 isn't a valid broadcast range (0 is not
allowed in the first byte of an IP address), so the fact that this does
something may in fact be misleading. I'd try using the default broadcast
address for your own IP address and see what that does.

That may in fact be enough to make things work in your situation, unless
you expect to have multiple IP subnets on the same network.

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

RE: UDP Broadcast Problem

MisterX

note also that limited broadcast IP addresses (like 255.255.255.255) are not
always passed across routers... In case you have one somewhere in the
middle...

cheers
Xavier

Re: Installer design and backdrops

Greg McIlhiney
>>Is the backdrop used by so many professional installers really just
>>a useless holdover, or is there some benefit to having it that I'm
>>not seeing?

Would it not be like any other interface element, customized for the
audience it is intended for?

If you are installing drivers or libraries for a technical crowd, I
would think it should be as non-intrusive as possible.

On the other hand, if the product is being delivered to my sister,
she might feel more comfortable by an all-enveloping process which
eases her anxiety with anything technical. And, there might be
something useful that I can impart which will help her, lesson
support on my end, and yes, perhaps even market my wares.

Just a perspective :)

-- greg