UUID: how to get one

Hillen Richard
Hello list,

some years ago there was a tip to get an UUID:

_internal call "generate_uuid"
put the result

is there now a official cmd?

Thank you in advance,
Richard.

Re: UUID: how to get one

Klaus on-rev
Hi Richard,

Am 10.03.2013 um 21:36 schrieb R. Hillen <[hidden email]>:

> Hello list,
>
> some years ago there was a tip to get an UUID:
>
> _internal call "generate_uuid"
> put the result
>
> is there now a official cmd?

nope, still _internal!

But on the Mac you can:
put shell("uuidgen") into tUUID

Maybe there is windows VB or shell script with the same functionality,
but I don't know :-)

> Thank you in advance,
> Richard.

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: UUID: how to get one

Trevor DeVore
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Klaus on-rev <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Maybe there is windows VB or shell script with the same functionality,
> but I don't know :-)

Here is a function that works on OS X, Windows an Linux.

https://gist.github.com/trevordevore/5135156

VBScript is used on Windows. You will run into people that do not have
VBScript activated (some anti-virus software seems to turn it off). One of
the first things I would like to do when the source code is available for
LiveCode is add a UUID generator and get rid of shell calls for copying
files. In the last few months I've seen a few reports from my customers who
have shell calls deactivated as well.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems

Re: UUID: how to get one

Malte Brill
The late Mark Smith wrote a library that works pretty well. I remember to have patched it a few years back and when I wanted to return the patch I learned that Mark no longer is with us. :-( However the library is still to find. And was originally released under an open source license.

His libs still appear to be online:

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=runtimerevoluti1;id=15;url=http%3A%2F%2Fmarksmith%2Eon-rev%2Ecom%2Frevstuff%2F

Cheers,

Malte

Re: UUID: how to get one

Monte Goulding
It's worse than that. I've run into a policy in an education setting that will cause any shell call to block. Always use open process instead of shell.

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services

mergExt - There's an external for that!