Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Peter Alcibiades
I am probably doing something silly, but can anyone help with why this should be happening?

I hosed my Debian installation (don't ask!).  So not having done a new install for many years and several new computers, I decided the thing to do was start from scratch again.  Its not a big deal, you just wipe your root partition and reinstall, then after you've laboriously installed all the apps again, and its amazing how many there were, all the menus and all the data files link up perfectly.

So, this leaves LiveCode.  Download the installer using firefox. Open terminal.  cd to Download.  ls shows its there.  Try to run it, and it says file does not exist.  OK, lets confirm its there and being invoked beyond any doubt.  So I create a directory livecode and move the installer to it.  It moves fine.  Now we try to run it.  Doing it like this there can't be any silly spelling mistakes.

~/livecode$ ls
LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86
:~/livecode$ ./L*
bash: ./LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86: No such file or directory

same thing happens if I become root.  Its not because its an archive, either.  Try to open it with archive manager from thunar file manager and the same thing happens.  Its not the file manager, do it from gnome commander, same thing (well, that just invokes a terminal so its not surprising).

Any suggestions?  Its probably something completely stupid, but what?

Peter

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 15/06/12 10:19, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

Tomorrow is Saturday!

I have had a similar problem with Trial 5.5..... so will be "playing
around" tomorrow.

I keep hosing my system LOL.

I reinstall RR/LC 4.5 by doing a simple double-click on the installer,
rather than
f*rting around with the command-line, and have never had a problem.

This has worked on Debian, Ubuntu, ZevenOS and SnowLinux (all Deb-derivs).

I always opt for a custom install so that I can have 4.5 in my Home folder.

> I am probably doing something silly, but can anyone help with why this should be happening?
>
> I hosed my Debian installation (don't ask!).  So not having done a new install for many years and several new computers, I decided the thing to do was start from scratch again.  Its not a big deal, you just wipe your root partition and reinstall, then after you've laboriously installed all the apps again, and its amazing how many there were, all the menus and all the data files link up perfectly.
>
> So, this leaves LiveCode.  Download the installer using firefox. Open terminal.  cd to Download.  ls shows its there.  Try to run it, and it says file does not exist.  OK, lets confirm its there and being invoked beyond any doubt.  So I create a directory livecode and move the installer to it.  It moves fine.  Now we try to run it.  Doing it like this there can't be any silly spelling mistakes.
>

> ~/livecode$ ls
> LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86
> :~/livecode$ ./L*
> bash: ./LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86: No such file or directory
>
> same thing happens if I become root.  Its not because its an archive, either.  Try to open it with archive manager from thunar file manager and the same thing happens.  Its not the file manager, do it from gnome commander, same thing (well, that just invokes a terminal so its not surprising).
>
> Any suggestions?  Its probably something completely stupid, but what?
>
> Peter

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Peter Alcibiades
Yes, but it makes no difference how its tried.  The permission is set to everyone read and write, its also set to executable, and if I do it from thunar or from a terminal I get the same error.  I even started a terminal in the folder, became root, then started thunar as root, then tried to execute.  Thinking who knows what sort of error might be creeping in.  Same problem.  Weird or what?

I can try on another machine, though we only have Debian installs around here...  I guess it would be possible to install fedora on a VM and then have a go there.

Peter

On 15/06/12 11:04, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> Yes, but it makes no difference how its tried.  The permission is set to
> everyone read and write, its also set to executable, and if I do it from
> thunar or from a terminal I get the same error.  I even started a terminal
> in the folder, became root, then started thunar as root, then tried to
> execute.  Thinking who knows what sort of error might be creeping in.  Same
> problem.  Weird or what?
>
> I can try on another machine, though we only have Debian installs around
> here...  I guess it would be possible to install fedora on a VM and then
> have a go there.

OK:

1. There should (nice modal verb there) be no problem with Debian and
family, so
messing around with Fedora in VM is taking a long hike to nowhere
particularly scenic.

2. As at work I can only hazard a few thoughts:

2.1. Last night I wondered about why I was having probs re Trial 5.5.
and came to
the likely conclusion that it had something to do with me choosing
'Custom Install'.
Unfortunately as this wondering was happening in bed with the cat
sitting on my chest
I didn't get round to getting up, firing up the machine, and trying it out.

I have had this sort of prob once or twice before.

(I have yet to try to install Trial 5.5 with a plain, vanilla install)

Having said that: with RR/LC 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5 I have always gone for a
custom install, putting everything
into directories in my HOME directory.

2.2. There may be a difference between the 4.5 beta 4 LC I generally use
and your 4.5.3.

2.3. I ALWAYS have my ROOT and HOME on a single partition:

i.e. when I install Linux I partition my hard drive into 2 partitions:
SWAP and EVERYTHING ELSE.

if you are 'being fancy' with your partitioning (while, possibly, being
less vulnerable to funny things happening) this may be screwing up your
LC installs.

3. LC 4.5 beta 4 installs a LOCKED folder; so everytime I have to copy
its contents into a non-locked
folder before things begin to work.

> Peter

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Mike Bonner
Not sure if this would apply, but there isn't a file association set up
with .x86 is there?  Perhaps for an associated executable that the system
can't find?  Just as a curiosity test you might rename the file to
something much simpler to type and without the extension (hugely unlikely,
but even so worth a shot.)  Worst case you've wasted 30 seconds. /shrug.

Also, is it possible your drive is starting to fail?  And you said the
installer was definitely set to executable, but never hurts to look at it
once more.

Hmm also might not hurt to put a copy in the path. (removing it of course
after the install completes.)

Last thought. While the installer isn't a shell script, if you "sh
lcinstallername" do you get a different response or perhaps a more verbose
message?

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 15/06/12 11:04, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
>
>> Yes, but it makes no difference how its tried.  The permission is set to
>> everyone read and write, its also set to executable, and if I do it from
>> thunar or from a terminal I get the same error.  I even started a terminal
>> in the folder, became root, then started thunar as root, then tried to
>> execute.  Thinking who knows what sort of error might be creeping in.
>>  Same
>> problem.  Weird or what?
>>
>> I can try on another machine, though we only have Debian installs around
>> here...  I guess it would be possible to install fedora on a VM and then
>> have a go there.
>>

> OK:
>
> 1. There should (nice modal verb there) be no problem with Debian and
> family, so
> messing around with Fedora in VM is taking a long hike to nowhere
> particularly scenic.
>
> 2. As at work I can only hazard a few thoughts:
>
> 2.1. Last night I wondered about why I was having probs re Trial 5.5. and
> came to
> the likely conclusion that it had something to do with me choosing 'Custom
> Install'.
> Unfortunately as this wondering was happening in bed with the cat sitting
> on my chest
> I didn't get round to getting up, firing up the machine, and trying it out.
>
> I have had this sort of prob once or twice before.
>
> (I have yet to try to install Trial 5.5 with a plain, vanilla install)
>
> Having said that: with RR/LC 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5 I have always gone for a
> custom install, putting everything
> into directories in my HOME directory.
>
> 2.2. There may be a difference between the 4.5 beta 4 LC I generally use
> and your 4.5.3.
>
> 2.3. I ALWAYS have my ROOT and HOME on a single partition:
>
> i.e. when I install Linux I partition my hard drive into 2 partitions:
> SWAP and EVERYTHING ELSE.
>
> if you are 'being fancy' with your partitioning (while, possibly, being
> less vulnerable to funny things happening) this may be screwing up your LC
> installs.
>
> 3. LC 4.5 beta 4 installs a LOCKED folder; so everytime I have to copy its
> contents into a non-locked
> folder before things begin to work.
>

>> Peter

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Richmond Mathewson-2
 From the release notes of Livecode 4.6.2:

"Proposed changes
The following changes are likely to occur in the next or subsequent
non-maintenance release:
• The engine (both IDE and standalone) will require gtk, gdk, glib,
pango and xft on Linux"

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Igor de Oliveira Couto-2
Please note:

On 15/06/2012, at 5:19 PM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> I am probably doing something silly, but can anyone help with why this should be happening?

Messages that are sent to the OLD list address ("use-revolution" instead of "use-livecode") are not recognised in my mail system as part of the same mailing list. As a result, they get 'filtered out', go to a different mailbox - sometimes the junk folder - and are 'disconnected' from the conversation.

Please, update your address books, in order to help us keep conversation threads connected, and assist us in participating in the conversation without having to manually reconnect your lost messages.

Many thanks,

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Warren Samples
On 06/15/2012 02:19 AM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> I am probably doing something silly, but can anyone help with why this should be happening?
>
> I hosed my Debian installation (don't ask!).  So not having done a new install for many years and several new computers, I decided the thing to do was start from scratch again.  Its not a big deal, you just wipe your root partition and reinstall, then after you've laboriously installed all the apps again, and its amazing how many there were, all the menus and all the data files link up perfectly.
>
> So, this leaves LiveCode.  Download the installer using firefox. Open terminal.  cd to Download.  ls shows its there.  Try to run it, and it says file does not exist.  OK, lets confirm its there and being invoked beyond any doubt.  So I create a directory livecode and move the installer to it.  It moves fine.  Now we try to run it.  Doing it like this there can't be any silly spelling mistakes.
>

> ~/livecode$ ls
> LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86
> :~/livecode$ ./L*
> bash: ./LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86: No such file or directory
>
> same thing happens if I become root.  Its not because its an archive, either.  Try to open it with archive manager from thunar file manager and the same thing happens.  Its not the file manager, do it from gnome commander, same thing (well, that just invokes a terminal so its not surprising).
>
> Any suggestions?  Its probably something completely stupid, but what?
>
> Peter

Peter is your Linux install 64 bit? I just installed Mint 13 in 64 bit
(in VirtualBox) and get this same message. Furthermore, lld says it's
not a linked executable, and says the same thing about Livecode itself
after I copied over a working installation from another machine. I
checked my Mint 9 32 bit insatll and it works. I then installed Mint 13
32 bit and it works fine as well. 64 bit Mint now ships with 32 bit libs
preinstalled but it may be that some additional libs are necessary to
get Livecode working. If I read the Mint docs correctly not everything
that used to be installed with ia32libs is included. Could you be having
this kind of issue?

Good luck,

Warren

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

alcibiades
This might well be it.  It is 64 bit.   I've now installed LC on a 32 bit Debian laptop, which was fine, and will try moving that install over to the other machine -  temporarily unavailable again!  It must be something to do with the fact that the other machine is a truly minimal install now, no Gnome, only Kontact from KDE, and as you suggest no 32 bit libs.  Still, the message that the file does not exist is very odd, is it not?  All other downloaded files are available.

Peter

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Richmond Mathewson-2
Further to remarks I made yesterday, I tried installing Livecode 5.5 on
my Xubuntu 12.04, XFCE 4.10 machine using the standard install,
rather than one that puts Livecode in a custom location.

Still no joy.

On 06/15/2012 09:57 PM, Warren Samples wrote:

> On 06/15/2012 02:19 AM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
>> I am probably doing something silly, but can anyone help with why this
>> should be happening?
>>
>> I hosed my Debian installation (don't ask!). So not having done a new
>> install for many years and several new computers, I decided the thing
>> to do was start from scratch again. Its not a big deal, you just wipe
>> your root partition and reinstall, then after you've laboriously
>> installed all the apps again, and its amazing how many there were, all
>> the menus and all the data files link up perfectly.
>>
>> So, this leaves LiveCode. Download the installer using firefox. Open
>> terminal. cd to Download. ls shows its there. Try to run it, and it
>> says file does not exist. OK, lets confirm its there and being invoked
>> beyond any doubt. So I create a directory livecode and move the
>> installer to it. It moves fine. Now we try to run it. Doing it like
>> this there can't be any silly spelling mistakes.
>>

>> ~/livecode$ ls
>> LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86
>> :~/livecode$ ./L*
>> bash: ./LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86: No such file or directory
>>
>> same thing happens if I become root. Its not because its an archive,
>> either. Try to open it with archive manager from thunar file manager
>> and the same thing happens. Its not the file manager, do it from gnome
>> commander, same thing (well, that just invokes a terminal so its not
>> surprising).
>>
>> Any suggestions? Its probably something completely stupid, but what?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Peter is your Linux install 64 bit? I just installed Mint 13 in 64 bit
> (in VirtualBox) and get this same message. Furthermore, lld says it's
> not a linked executable, and says the same thing about Livecode itself
> after I copied over a working installation from another machine. I
> checked my Mint 9 32 bit insatll and it works. I then installed Mint 13
> 32 bit and it works fine as well. 64 bit Mint now ships with 32 bit libs
> preinstalled but it may be that some additional libs are necessary to
> get Livecode working. If I read the Mint docs correctly not everything
> that used to be installed with ia32libs is included. Could you be having
> this kind of issue?
>
> Good luck,
>
> Warren

Adding some 32 bit libs in the software center in Mint 13 has helped.
This is clearly the problem. Livecode is not working with the new
multiarch system implemented in Mint 13. ldd now gives me this:

warren@mint-13-64 ~ $ ldd
'/home/warren/Downloads/LiveCodeInstaller-4_6_4-Linux.x86'
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7740000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7725000)
        libX11.so.6 => not found
        libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf76fa000)
        libXext.so.6 => not found
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf76df000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf753c000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7741000)

I'm not sure what the best route to the missing X libs is. They aren't
available in the software center as far as I can tell.

I had no trouble in the past getting Livecode to work in 64 bit Mint 10,
and openSUSE 11.4 and 12.1 just by installing the basic 32 bit
compatibility libs. It would be a big blow to usability if Livecode does
not work as expected as distros adopt a new architecture for 32 bit
compatibility. It will affect all standalones, as well.

Warren

On 06/16/2012 11:51 AM, Warren Samples wrote:
> Adding some 32 bit libs in the software center in Mint 13 has helped.
> This is clearly the problem. Livecode is not working with the new
> multiarch system implemented in Mint 13.

Ok, missing 32 bit libs was the problem. It's working now, but it was
somewhat more complicated than it should have been to get the
ia32-libs-multiarch:i386  installed using Software Manager. Software
Manger was simply failing to install the package and it required some
work in terminal to get it done, but now it's all working fine.

Peter, you might update apt-get and try 'sudo apt-get install ia32-libs'
and see if that does the trick for you.

Good luck!

Warren

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Dr. Hawkins
On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Warren Samples <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok, missing 32 bit libs was the problem. It's working now, but it was
> somewhat more complicated than it should have been to get the
> ia32-libs-multiarch:i386  installed using Software Manager. Software Manger
> was simply failing to install the package and it required some work in
> terminal to get it done, but now it's all working fine.
>
> Peter, you might update apt-get and try 'sudo apt-get install ia32-libs' and
> see if that does

I'm jumping in late, but I installed ubuntu in parallels on my mac,
and I had to install that package, too.

Shouldn't it be easy to whip together a .deb that depends upon the
needed packages and installs from a tarball in your home diretory?

--
The Hawkins Law Firm
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.

On 06/16/2012 10:25 PM, Warren Samples wrote:

> On 06/16/2012 11:51 AM, Warren Samples wrote:
>> Adding some 32 bit libs in the software center in Mint 13 has helped.
>> This is clearly the problem. Livecode is not working with the new
>> multiarch system implemented in Mint 13.
>

> Ok, missing 32 bit libs was the problem. It's working now, but it was
> somewhat more complicated than it should have been to get the
> ia32-libs-multiarch:i386  installed using Software Manager. Software
> Manger was simply failing to install the package and it required some
> work in terminal to get it done, but now it's all working fine.
>
> Peter, you might update apt-get and try 'sudo apt-get install
> ia32-libs' and see if that does the trick for you.

"Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate"

On 06/16/2012 02:53 PM, Richmond wrote:
>> Peter, you might update apt-get and try 'sudo apt-get install
>> ia32-libs' and see if that does the trick for you.
>
> "Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate"

Richmond, are you working with a 64 bit installation? If you are, do you
find ia32-libs listed in one of the gui software managers? It's listed
in the Mint Software Manager, but wouldn't install. To get this to
install in Mint, after several failures, I ran these commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get clean
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update

and then Software Manager successfully installed the libs. I don't have
much experience with apt-get and this was a shotgun approach based on a
forum thread discussing problems someone was having getting Firefox
installed in Mint 13. I'm happy running openSUSE and was only curious
about this problem Peter was having, but I have to say the Mint Software
Manager did not impress me :D

Best,

Warren

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Peter Alcibiades
I'm posting from nabble, and that seems only to have whatever version of the list this is going to.  Is there some other service that has the right new address?  If so I will use it.

On the install issue, it may well be 32bit libs.  On a 32bit Debian install, it went in just fine.

Is it possible to run it as a portable app, from a USB stick?  If so, how?  My first attempts at this are failing.

Peter

Re: Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

slylabs13
One is an alias of the other. It is the same list, not different versions of it. Sorry if I misunderstood you. I think the thing to do is alert whoever the moderator of the old nabble list is and tell them to change the addresses.

Bob