Unicode frustration

Brad Borch
Ok, I'm befuddled. I'm not quite sure how Revolution handles unicode. I
have a field that lists all the fonts in my system. The Rev
documentation says:

"Revolution automatically sets the textFont of double-byte characters to
the appropriate Unicode font."

So if I set the htmltext of a field like so:

The first string of Greek characters is rendered as Greek, but the
second is rendered as Asian characters (I don't know which). Getting the
html text of the field after setting it to the above string yields this:

lang="en-UC">&#945;&#946;&#947;&#948;&#949;&#8195;&#46339;&#47875;&#47875;&#46339;&#48387;&#47363;&#47619;</font></p>

If I take out the space in the text I originally pasted, it renders the
entities correctly:

lang="en-UC">&#945;&#946;&#947;&#948;&#949;&#949;&#955;&#955;&#949;&#957;&#953;&#954;&#945;</font></p>

So there's some conversion going on inside Revolution to standardize the
html, but it looks like there's a bug in the process somewhere.

If I type or paste in Greek unicode characters, the htmltext gets
updated to reflect the text: paste in "αβγδε ελλενικα" and get the
htmltext, the font tag gets updated to include "lang="el"" (doesn't
matter what face it is, I guess it just uses whatever is the default
Unicode font.

What's happening here? How can I force Rev to use the Unicode text I
want it to use?

RE: Unicode frustration

Lynch, Jonathan
Can you set the textfont of the field itself, rather than in the htmltext?

Re: Unicode frustration

Brad Borch
> Can you set the textfont of the field itself, rather than in the htmltext?
If I set the textfont, the non-unicode text changes.
If I actually select the text in the field and change the font via the
menu, the text is converted to the single-byte characters (in other
words, an α is converted to ±, even though the font I've selected is a
Unicode font (in this case, Bitstream Vera Sans).

RE: Unicode frustration

Lynch, Jonathan
Ah...

I have experimented with having unicode and non-unicode in the same field, but never made it work before! It always seems to do some weird stuff.

It would be a huge enormous pain in the posterior, but you could set it up so that the unicode equivalent of a given character is entered instead of the non-unicode character. I believe most characters have a unicode number.

> Can you set the textfont of the field itself, rather than in the htmltext?
If I set the textfont, the non-unicode text changes.
If I actually select the text in the field and change the font via the
menu, the text is converted to the single-byte characters (in other
words, an α is converted to ±, even though the font I've selected is a
Unicode font (in this case, Bitstream Vera Sans).

Re: Unicode frustration

Brad Borch
Let me explain what I'm trying to do.

I need to build a tool that allows users to quickly enter Greek words.
These people aren't terribly computer literate, so I've built a script
that captures what the user types and replaces it with a Greek
character. In other words, they don't have to switch keyboard encodings.
In order to add accents, I have a menu that pops up when the user mouses
over a letter that can be marked (accents, etc.). The user can select an
accented version of that letter, and it gets pasted in.

This works perfectly on the Mac, but as soon as I run on a PC, the PC
wants to render the text as Arial, which has a much smaller set of
accented characters.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that Rev
automatically sets the textfont of Unicode characters. I think all I
REALLY need to do is figure out how to force the text to be in Bitstream
Vera Sans on the PC.

  > Ah...

> I have experimented with having unicode and non-unicode in the same field, but never made it work before! It always seems to do some weird stuff.
>
> It would be a huge enormous pain in the posterior, but you could set it up so that the unicode equivalent of a given character is entered instead of the non-unicode character. I believe most characters have a unicode number.
>

>>> Can you set the textfont of the field itself, rather than in the htmltext?
>
> If I set the textfont, the non-unicode text changes.
> If I actually select the text in the field and change the font via the
> menu, the text is converted to the single-byte characters (in other
> words, an α is converted to ±, even though the font I've selected is a
> Unicode font (in this case, Bitstream Vera Sans).

RE: Unicode frustration

Thomas McCarthy

Hear hear! frustration!
Here are some of the problems (in addition to yours) that I've encountered.

Words are not wrapped properly. This may be that the space char is not being properly read as the word delimiter.

I was going to type more, but gotta run!
tm