Unique problem

charles61
I have developed an app that deals with student files and adult files. When the user goes to the student section, the file menu items for adults is disabled. And, when the user goes to the adult section, the file menu items for students is disabled. I set up my app like so that the user would not be able to create a student file and then save it by accident as an adult file and visa vera.

Here is my unique problem: When I save a student file and then later reopened it in the student section of the app, the adult menus items are not disabled. I used a preOpenCard handler:

on preopenCard
   mark this card
   enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
   disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
   enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
   disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
   enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
   disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
end preopenCard

I understand why the script doesn't work because I am not opening a card when I open a file. This is verified when I go back through the file and then come back to the card. The menuitems are disabled as expected.  I don't have a clue how to handle this problem! So, script suggestions will be welcomed with open arms!

Re: Unique problem

Mark Swindell
I'm not sure I'm following the structure of all you're doing, but would something like this work?

on enableMe — at cd script level (or higher if it is to be used on various cards)
  mark this card
  enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
  enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
  enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
end enableMe

on opencard
        send "enableMe" to this card
end openCard

-Mark

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:16 AM, charles61 wrote:

> I have developed an app that deals with student files and adult files. When
> the user goes to the student section, the file menu items for adults is
> disabled. And, when the user goes to the adult section, the file menu items
> for students is disabled. I set up my app like so that the user would not be
> able to create a student file and then save it by accident as an adult file
> and visa vera.
>
> Here is my unique problem: When I save a student file and then later
> reopened it in the student section of the app, the adult menus items are not
> disabled. I used a preOpenCard handler:
>
> on preopenCard
>   mark this card
>   enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
> end preopenCard
>
> I understand why the script doesn't work because I am not opening a card
> when I open a file. This is verified when I go back through the file and
> then come back to the card. The menuitems are disabled as expected.  I don't
> have a clue how to handle this problem! So, script suggestions will be
> welcomed with open arms!

Re: Unique problem

slylabs13
Make the student files only accessible after going to the student section of the app. Do the same for the Adult files. (I assume you mean "Teachers").

Barring that, does your app actually do the opening? Then create a command that opens the file, determines if it is a student or "adult" file, and sets the menu's accordingly.

Without actually seeing the app, that's all I can offer. I don't think there is a system message that gets fired off when you open a file.

Bob

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:16 AM, charles61 wrote:

> I have developed an app that deals with student files and adult files. When
> the user goes to the student section, the file menu items for adults is
> disabled. And, when the user goes to the adult section, the file menu items
> for students is disabled. I set up my app like so that the user would not be
> able to create a student file and then save it by accident as an adult file
> and visa vera.
>
> Here is my unique problem: When I save a student file and then later
> reopened it in the student section of the app, the adult menus items are not
> disabled. I used a preOpenCard handler:
>
> on preopenCard
>   mark this card
>   enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
> end preopenCard
>
> I understand why the script doesn't work because I am not opening a card
> when I open a file. This is verified when I go back through the file and
> then come back to the card. The menuitems are disabled as expected.  I don't
> have a clue how to handle this problem! So, script suggestions will be
> welcomed with open arms!

Re: Unique problem

charles61
Hi Bob,

That is a good idea but I don't know how to script this in the open file menu.

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Jul 27, 2010, at 1:35 PM, Bob Sneidar-2 [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

Make the student files only accessible after going to the student section of the app. Do the same for the Adult files. (I assume you mean "Teachers").

Barring that, does your app actually do the opening? Then create a command that opens the file, determines if it is a student or "adult" file, and sets the menu's accordingly.

Without actually seeing the app, that's all I can offer. I don't think there is a system message that gets fired off when you open a file.

Bob

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:16 AM, charles61 wrote:

> I have developed an app that deals with student files and adult files. When
> the user goes to the student section, the file menu items for adults is
> disabled. And, when the user goes to the adult section, the file menu items
> for students is disabled. I set up my app like so that the user would not be
> able to create a student file and then save it by accident as an adult file
> and visa vera.
>
> Here is my unique problem: When I save a student file and then later
> reopened it in the student section of the app, the adult menus items are not
> disabled. I used a preOpenCard handler:
>
> on preopenCard
>   mark this card
>   enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
> end preopenCard
>
> I understand why the script doesn't work because I am not opening a card
> when I open a file. This is verified when I go back through the file and
> then come back to the card. The menuitems are disabled as expected.  I don't
> have a clue how to handle this problem! So, script suggestions will be
> welcomed with open arms!

Re: Unique problem

charles61
Mark,

That looks like a way to handle this problem. Where this handler go?

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Jul 27, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Mark Swindell [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

I'm not sure I'm following the structure of all you're doing, but would something like this work?

on enableMe — at cd script level (or higher if it is to be used on various cards)
  mark this card
  enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
  enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
  enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
end enableMe

on opencard
        send "enableMe" to this card
end openCard

-Mark

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:16 AM, charles61 wrote:

> I have developed an app that deals with student files and adult files. When
> the user goes to the student section, the file menu items for adults is
> disabled. And, when the user goes to the adult section, the file menu items
> for students is disabled. I set up my app like so that the user would not be
> able to create a student file and then save it by accident as an adult file
> and visa vera.
>
> Here is my unique problem: When I save a student file and then later
> reopened it in the student section of the app, the adult menus items are not
> disabled. I used a preOpenCard handler:
>
> on preopenCard
>   mark this card
>   enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
> end preopenCard
>
> I understand why the script doesn't work because I am not opening a card
> when I open a file. This is verified when I go back through the file and
> then come back to the card. The menuitems are disabled as expected.  I don't
> have a clue how to handle this problem! So, script suggestions will be
> welcomed with open arms!

Re: Unique problem

Mark Swindell
> on enableMe — at cd script level (or higher if it is to be used on various cards)

hth,
Mark

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:40 AM, charles61 wrote:

>> on enableMe — at cd script level (or higher if it is to be used on various cards)

Re: Unique problem

slylabs13
My mistake. I thought you said that you were not actually going to a card to open the files. Are you using the native Open File menu, or are you calling the answer file dialog?

Bob

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:39 AM, charles61 wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> That is a good idea but I don't know how to script this in the open file menu.
>
> Charles Szasz
> [hidden email]
>

> On Jul 27, 2010, at 1:35 PM, Bob Sneidar-2 [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:
>
>> Make the student files only accessible after going to the student section of the app. Do the same for the Adult files. (I assume you mean "Teachers").
>>
>> Barring that, does your app actually do the opening? Then create a command that opens the file, determines if it is a student or "adult" file, and sets the menu's accordingly.
>>
>> Without actually seeing the app, that's all I can offer. I don't think there is a system message that gets fired off when you open a file.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:16 AM, charles61 wrote:
>>

>>> I have developed an app that deals with student files and adult files. When
>>> the user goes to the student section, the file menu items for adults is
>>> disabled. And, when the user goes to the adult section, the file menu items
>>> for students is disabled. I set up my app like so that the user would not be
>>> able to create a student file and then save it by accident as an adult file
>>> and visa vera.
>>>
>>> Here is my unique problem: When I save a student file and then later
>>> reopened it in the student section of the app, the adult menus items are not
>>> disabled. I used a preOpenCard handler:
>>>
>>> on preopenCard
>>>  mark this card
>>>  enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>>>  disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>>>  enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>>>  disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>>>  enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>>>  disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>>> end preopenCard
>>>
>>> I understand why the script doesn't work because I am not opening a card
>>> when I open a file. This is verified when I go back through the file and
>>> then come back to the card. The menuitems are disabled as expected.  I don't
>>> have a clue how to handle this problem! So, script suggestions will be
>>> welcomed with open arms!

Re: Unique problem

slylabs13
Okay, if you have a custom menu that allows you to open a file, like a text file or something, then you have to be using answer file. If however by "file" you mean "stack" then you may be using the Open Stack menu.

In either case, I think you can use menuPick chosenItem[|submenuName],previousTab as defined in the documentation, and test to see what the choice was. Be sure to pass menuPick at the end or else you won't be able to do anything with the menus including quit and save!

Bob

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:39 AM, charles61 wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> That is a good idea but I don't know how to script this in the open file menu.
>
> Charles Szasz

Re: Unique problem

charles61
Mark,

I tried a variation of your suggestion by placing enableMe without the openCard in my switch script in the File:

case "Open student File"
      answer file "Open Student file:" with specialFolderPath("documents") & "/Student"
      put it into tLoadFile

      put it into gOpenDataFile

      if tLoadFile is empty then exit to top
      -- start by unmarking everything, then mark only those cards with data loaded
      put it into gOpenDataFile
      unmark all cards

      -- load the entire file into a variable
      put URL ("file:" & tLoadFile) into tLoadData

      repeat with x = 1 to the number of cards
         put the short name of card x into tCardName
         get lineOffset(tCardName & cr & "*******", tLoadData)
         if it = 0 then next repeat   -- no data for this file

         put line it+2 to -1 of tLoadData into tCardData
         get lineOffset("*******", tCardData)
         if it > 0 then delete line it to -1 of tCardData

         -- now tCardData contains the information for card tCardName only
         restoreData tCardData, tCardName

         -- once a card has had it's data restored, mark it
         mark card tCardName
      end repeat
      go to card "eligibility"

      enableMe

      break

This works! And I also created a enableMe2 for the adult menu with the items reversed and it also works! Thanks so much!!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Jul 27, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Mark Swindell [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

I'm not sure I'm following the structure of all you're doing, but would something like this work?

on enableMe — at cd script level (or higher if it is to be used on various cards)
  mark this card
  enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
  enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
  enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
  disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
end enableMe

on opencard
        send "enableMe" to this card
end openCard

-Mark

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:16 AM, charles61 wrote:

> I have developed an app that deals with student files and adult files. When
> the user goes to the student section, the file menu items for adults is
> disabled. And, when the user goes to the adult section, the file menu items
> for students is disabled. I set up my app like so that the user would not be
> able to create a student file and then save it by accident as an adult file
> and visa vera.
>
> Here is my unique problem: When I save a student file and then later
> reopened it in the student section of the app, the adult menus items are not
> disabled. I used a preOpenCard handler:
>
> on preopenCard
>   mark this card
>   enable menuItem 1 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 2 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 3 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 4 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
>   enable menuItem 5 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Student
>   disable menuItem 6 of button "File" of group "menubar 1" -->Adult
> end preopenCard
>
> I understand why the script doesn't work because I am not opening a card
> when I open a file. This is verified when I go back through the file and
> then come back to the card. The menuitems are disabled as expected.  I don't
> have a clue how to handle this problem! So, script suggestions will be
> welcomed with open arms!

Re: Unique problem

charles61
Hi Bob,

I was able to resolve the problem with disabling the menus with Bob's help. But I would like to be able to keep the user from opening an adult file in the student section.

Right now, it is possible even with the menus disabled and using specialfolderPath in saving and opening files for the Mac and Windows to open an adult file in the student section because the user could access an adult file when they are presented with the open file in documents.

This part of my File menu script:

  case "Open Student File"
      answer file "Open Student file:" with specialFolderPath("documents") & "/S_Student"
[...]

The name of the two folders are S_Student and S_Adult where files are kept for students and adults. What do you suggest?