Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Alex Tweedly

This isn't as off-topic as it might sound ... can I use an iPod Nano as
a USB drive ?

Specifically, can I put a Rev player, stack and data files on the iPod,
and then run the player+stack on arbitrary PC with USB port.

I'd prefer not to build it into a standalone - but could do if that made
a difference.

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Ian Wood-3
I don't see why not, as it just registers as a regular USB storage
drive.

Ian

On 9 May 2006, at 14:18, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> This isn't as off-topic as it might sound ... can I use an iPod
> Nano as a USB drive ?
>
> Specifically, can I put a Rev player, stack and data files on the
> iPod, and then run the player+stack on arbitrary PC with USB port.
>
> I'd prefer not to build it into a standalone - but could do if that
> made a difference.
>
> --
> Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Marian Petrides, MD
So long as you enable use as a disk drive in iTunes preferences for
the iPod, it should work.

On May 9, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Ian Wood wrote:

> I don't see why not, as it just registers as a regular USB storage
> drive.
>
> Ian
>
> On 9 May 2006, at 14:18, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>

>> This isn't as off-topic as it might sound ... can I use an iPod
>> Nano as a USB drive ?
>>
>> Specifically, can I put a Rev player, stack and data files on the
>> iPod, and then run the player+stack on arbitrary PC with USB port.
>>
>> I'd prefer not to build it into a standalone - but could do if
>> that made a difference.
>>
>> --
>> Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Thomas McGrath III
I do this all of the time.

In iTunes you have to turn on the use as hard drive option in case
you didn't know.

Tom

On May 9, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> This isn't as off-topic as it might sound ... can I use an iPod
> Nano as a USB drive ?
>
> Specifically, can I put a Rev player, stack and data files on the
> iPod, and then run the player+stack on arbitrary PC with USB port.
>
> I'd prefer not to build it into a standalone - but could do if that
> made a difference.
>
> --
> Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Thomas J McGrath III
[hidden email]

Lazy River Software - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com

Lazy River Metal Art™ - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com/metal.html

Meeting Wear - http://www.cafepress.com/meetingwear

Semantic Compaction Systems - http://www.minspeak.com

SCIconics, LLC - http://www.sciconics.com/sciindex.html

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Alex Tweedly
Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> I do this all of the time.
>
> In iTunes you have to turn on the use as hard drive option in case
> you didn't know.

Thanks to Tom, Ian and Marian. If only Apple had actually said this on
their web site (I may have missed it, but I had a good look - over an
hour today - trying to find a straightforward statement that this can be
done).

I came across a reference that said "I wish iPod could do this like
other MP3 players and let you just copy files over like you do to any
USB drive", which left me unsure that it could work that way.

Thanks again.

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Marian Petrides, MD
Uh, Alex, the info is actually right there on the website and
(mirabile dictu!) right there in the manual--which Mac users are, of
course, notorious unlikely to do.

The following is a direct quote from the iPod Nano user's manual (aka
Features Guide) which I found on Apple's support website under the
Manuals tab.

Using iPod nano as an External Disk
You can use iPod nano as an external disk to store and download data
files.
Note:  To download music and other audio files to iPod nano, you must
use iTunes. For
example, you won’t see songs you download with iTunes in the
Macintosh Finder or in
Windows Explorer. Likewise, if you copy music files to iPod nano in
the Macintosh
Finder or Windows Explorer, you won’t be able to play them on iPod nano.
To enable iPod nano as an external disk:
1 In iTunes, select iPod nano in the Source list and click the
Options button.
2 Click Music and select “Enable disk use.”
When you use iPod nano as an external disk, the iPod nano disk icon
appears on the
desktop on the Mac, or as the next available drive letter in Windows
Explorer on a
Windows PC.
Note:  Clicking Music and selecting “Manually manage songs and
playlists” in the
Options window also enables iPod nano to be used as an external disk.
Drag files to
and from iPod nano to copy them.
Options button

If you use iPod nano primarily as a disk, you might want to keep
iTunes from opening
automatically when you connect iPod nano to your computer.
To prevent iTunes from opening automatically when you connect iPod
nano to your
computer:
1 In iTunes, select iPod nano in the Source list and click the
Options button.
2 Click Music and deselect “Open iTunes when this iPod is attached.”
Options button

On May 9, 2006, at 1:29 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>
>> I do this all of the time.
>>
>> In iTunes you have to turn on the use as hard drive option in
>> case  you didn't know.
>>
> Thanks to Tom, Ian and Marian. If only Apple had actually said this
> on their web site (I may have missed it, but I had a good look -
> over an hour today - trying to find a straightforward statement
> that this can be done).
>
> I came across a reference that said "I wish iPod could do this like
> other MP3 players and let you just copy files over like you do to
> any USB drive", which left me unsure that it could work that way.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> --
> Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

import snapshot

Garrett Hylltun-2
Rev 2.6.1 / OS X

Greetings,

Does anyone know if it's possible to tell the "import snapshot" command
to place the resulting snapshot into an already existing image on the
card, instead of creating a new image and dumping it in the center of
the card?

Thanks in advance,
-Garrett

import snapshot [Solved]

Garrett Hylltun-2
Garrett Hylltun wrote:

> Rev 2.6.1 / OS X
>
> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to tell the "import snapshot" command
> to place the resulting snapshot into an already existing image on the
> card, instead of creating a new image and dumping it in the center of
> the card?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> -Garrett

Figured out that I needed to use "export snapshot" instead.

-Garrett

Get color of clicked area on image?

Garrett Hylltun-2
Rev 2.6.1 / OS X

Greetings,

I have a small image that represents a customized color palette on my
card.  Now I want to be able to click on that image and get the color of
the area clicked.

Is that possible in Rev Studio 2.6.1?

Thanks,
-Garrett

Get color of clicked area on image? [Solved]

Garrett Hylltun-2
Garrett Hylltun wrote:

> Rev 2.6.1 / OS X
>
> Greetings,
>
> I have a small image that represents a customized color palette on my
> card.  Now I want to be able to click on that image and get the color of
> the area clicked.
>
> Is that possible in Rev Studio 2.6.1?
>

> Thanks,
> -Garrett

Ok, now this is really getting on my nerves!  Why is it that I search
the docs for something, don't find it, ask on the list, and then right
after I send the question to the list that I find the freaking answer!  LOL!

"mouseColor"!!!  Arrggghhhhh!!!  :-)

And I even double checked the docs before I asked the question.  Well,
at least I did find the answer to my question.  :-)

Thanks Anyway,
-Garrett

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Judy Perry
And not only that, but my photo iPod with it's FireWire connection is a
BOOTABLE harddrive.

Used it to ressurect an old TiBook that decided it could fly while
operational.

Judy

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>
> > I do this all of the time.
> >
> > In iTunes you have to turn on the use as hard drive option in case
> > you didn't know.
> >
> Thanks to Tom, Ian and Marian. If only Apple had actually said this on
> their web site (I may have missed it, but I had a good look - over an
> hour today - trying to find a straightforward statement that this can be
> done).

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Alex Tweedly
Marian Petrides wrote:

> Uh, Alex, the info is actually right there on the website and
> (mirabile dictu!) right there in the manual--which Mac users are, of
> course, notorious unlikely to do.
>
> The following is a direct quote from the iPod Nano user's manual (aka
> Features Guide) which I found on Apple's support website under the
> Manuals tab.

Thanks Marian - I didn't think to look in the Support section, I only
checked the iPod section and the Apple Store. (The "Tech Specs" in the
Store did hint that you could - but it was a hint rather than a clear
statement (in view of the comments seen in reviews).

> Using iPod nano as an External Disk
> You can use iPod nano as an external disk to store and download data
> files.
> Note:  To download music and other audio files to iPod nano, you must
> use iTunes. For
> example, you won’t see songs you download with iTunes in the
> Macintosh Finder or in
> Windows Explorer. Likewise, if you copy music files to iPod nano in
> the Macintosh
> Finder or Windows Explorer, you won’t be able to play them on iPod nano.

Ahhh - that explains the comment I had seen elsewhere - you can copy
files to an iPod being used as an external disk, but can't then play
them as tunes. How strange, and annoying.

Thanks

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

masmit
I think this is part of the DRM - the music business is not built on
trust!

Mark

On 10 May 2006, at 16:09, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Ahhh - that explains the comment I had seen elsewhere - you can
> copy files to an iPod being used as an external disk, but can't
> then play them as tunes. How strange, and annoying.

Get object name under mouse cursor?

Garrett Hylltun-2
Rev 2.6.1 / OS X

Greetings,

Is there a way to get the name of an object under the mouse cursor?  I
saw "mouseControl", but it gives the number of the object.  I don't know
how to compare that to a list of objects on my stack and get the name.

Thanks,
-Garrett

Re: Get object name under mouse cursor?

xtalkprogrammer
Garrett,

put the short name of the mouseControl
put the long name of the mouseControl
put the id of the mouseControl

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 11-mei-2006, om 0:15 heeft Garrett Hylltun het volgende geschreven:

> Rev 2.6.1 / OS X
>
> Greetings,
>
> Is there a way to get the name of an object under the mouse
> cursor?  I saw "mouseControl", but it gives the number of the
> object.  I don't know how to compare that to a list of objects on
> my stack and get the name.
>

> Thanks,
> -Garrett

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Marian Petrides, MD
I'm not sure why this surprises either of you.  Items copied to one's
HD but not loaded into iTunes won't play in iTunes.  Likewise items
copied to the iPod's HD as data won't play on the iPod. To play on
the iPod they need to be loaded onto it from iTunes on your computer--
which then allows the iPod's software to recognize them as music
rather than data.

 >>>you can copy files to an iPod being used as an external disk, but
can't then play them as tunes.

All you need to do in this case is to ALSO load them onto the iPod
using iTunes--so that the iPod's software recognizes them as music
not a data file.

Am I making any sense?  If so, then forget the rest.

Picture the following scenario:
I have an unprotected mp3 file. I copy it as DATA to my iPod's HD. It
doesn't play on the iPod because it got there as DATA not as a music
file recognizable to the iPod.  If I merely load that same file off
the iPod into iTunes and put it back onto the iPod as
MUSIC, :::poof::: the iPod recognizes it as music.  At this point the
file is on the iPod in two different forms:  one on the HD as a data
file and one in music form recognizable by the iPod.  Does this make
sense?

As for the DRM issue, picture a similar scenario:  Suppose I have a
protected file from iTMS.  If I Finder copy that file to the iPod's
HD it will not play--the iPod will see it as data. But if I load it
onto the iPod using iTunes, it will be music and recognizable as such
on the iPod.  If I take the data file and load it from the iPod into
iTunes on a different Mac (or a Windows PC), it will play there too--
so long as I have not exceeded the number of computer activations
allowed for this file by iTunes.

I think you are allowed 5 computer authorizations for each iTunes
Music Store account. Each of these computers can transfer music to an
unlimited number of iPods.

Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Garrett,
>
> put the short name of the mouseControl
> put the long name of the mouseControl
> put the id of the mouseControl
>
> Mark

Thank you Mark :-)

-Garrett

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

J. Scott Saults
Maybe late and off-topic - so I apologize (and do NOT mean to start a
discussion here about this) - but just thought Alex might want to know that
it is possible, with some iPods, to just drag and drop mp3 files (and Ogg
Vorbis, Musepack, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AC3 and WavPack) on your player and play
them. And you can use (some) iPods as a standard UMS device, without
iTunes, but not with the stock firmware. Look into 'rockbox':
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox (Maybe iPodLinux,
too, but don't know much about that)
>I came across a reference that said "I wish iPod could do this like
>other MP3 players and let you just copy files over like you do to any
>USB drive", which left me unsure that it could work that way.
>her

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Kay C Lan
Further to the tangent.

At the beginning of the year my son's teacher recently requested that I
purchase a USB thumbdrive so that my son could easily transfer files to the
class computer for printing - he takes a G3 PB to school, the class computer
is  windoz. I personally thought just unplugging the USB printer cable and
plugging it into the PB would be a very reasonable idea but for 'reasons'
the USB thumbdrive was what the teacher wanted. So, not having bought one
before I logged onto my Mac User Group forum and asked for recommendations.

The first response I got back was to buy and iPod Shuffle. At first I
thought it was a joke, until I did some further investigations:

Iomega 1GB Thumbdrive = US99
iPod Shuffle 1GB = US99

The Iomega does nothing but store data!

So now we all now that an iPod can store data - but in case you didn't know,
an Iomega Thumbdrive can't play music;-)

Re: Use an iPod as a USB drive ?

Alex Tweedly
Marian Petrides wrote:

> I'm not sure why this surprises either of you.  Items copied to one's
> HD but not loaded into iTunes won't play in iTunes.

That may be a Mac restriction (though I doubt it), but it doesn't apply
on Win. I double click on any MP3 (or other audio) file and iTunes plays
it (maybe there's a hair to be split - maybe iTunes "loads" it into
iTunes on the fly, but in terms of the effect for me as a user, this
restriction doesn't appear to apply).

> Likewise items  copied to the iPod's HD as data won't play on the
> iPod. To play on  the iPod they need to be loaded onto it from iTunes
> on your computer-- which then allows the iPod's software to recognize
> them as music  rather than data.

I guess I can't see why iPod's software can't figure out that an MP3
file can be played, just like any other piece of software can.

> can't then play them as tunes.
>
> All you need to do in this case is to ALSO load them onto the iPod
> using iTunes--so that the iPod's software recognizes them as music
> not a data file.

All I need to do is make two copies of it, taking twice as much time and
space. Yeah, OK, but that's exactly what I find disappointing.
And I can't see any reason for that restriction other than DRM, and
putting the DRM requirements before the user's convenience.

But I can't think of a way to drag this back on topic for the Rev list,
so I'll stop now. Thank you again for taking the time to go look this up
and let me know. Even though I'm mildly irritated by this misfeature, I
am glad to know the iPod is a practical solution, and can go buy one for
myself as well as the "client" for whom I need to put Rev stacks on an iPod.

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net