User Interface Question

Peter Haworth-2
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a couple of user interface
questions.

I'm providing a popup contextual menu when the user right-clicks on a
datagrid.  I'm also providing the ability to re-order rows in a datagrid by
dragging and dropping them.  The common thread between these two functions
is that there is no on-screen indication that they exist.  Popup menus are
invisible until they are invoked and drag and drop is equally invisible
until someone initiates it.

Are there any common methods for indicating to users that features like this
are available to them?

Pete

Re: User Interface Question

Jeffrey Massung
For dragging, I'd go with "handles" on the left side of the datagrid that
have hand icon when you hover over them. They've become pretty ubiquitous on
webpages. For an example of what I mean:

http://jqueryui.com/demos/sortable/

As for a context menu, you be okay with just a tool-tip. People generally
try and right-click a lot for things they expect to be there. Otherwise,
again, go with something common to show that actions are available. For
example, and disclosure triangle on the far right of a UI widget is
typically clickable and will bring up a menu. Left-click will bring up your
context menu, and r-click anywhere will bring it up as well.

Jeff M.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a couple of user interface
> questions.
>
> I'm providing a popup contextual menu when the user right-clicks on a
> datagrid.  I'm also providing the ability to re-order rows in a datagrid by
> dragging and dropping them.  The common thread between these two functions
> is that there is no on-screen indication that they exist.  Popup menus are
> invisible until they are invoked and drag and drop is equally invisible
> until someone initiates it.
>
> Are there any common methods for indicating to users that features like
> this
> are available to them?
>
> Pete
> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>

Re: User Interface Question

Peter Haworth-2
Thanks Jeff.  I'm trying to implement the cursor change and running into
some weirdness.

In the script of the datagrid, I have these two handlers:

   *on* mouseEnter

   *lock* cursor

   *set* the cursor to hand

*end* mouseEnter

*on* mouseLeave

   *unlock* cursor

*end* mouseLeave

This changes the cursor as expected and most of the time, it returns to the
correct cursor when I move the mouse away from the datagrid.  However, if I
move the cursor above the datagrid, the cursor stays as the hand and does
not return to any other image no matter where I move the mouse to.

This is the first time I've attempted to control the cursor so no doubt I'm
doing something wrong!

Pete

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Jeff Massung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For dragging, I'd go with "handles" on the left side of the datagrid that
> have hand icon when you hover over them. They've become pretty ubiquitous
> on
> webpages. For an example of what I mean:
>
> http://jqueryui.com/demos/sortable/
>
> As for a context menu, you be okay with just a tool-tip. People generally
> try and right-click a lot for things they expect to be there. Otherwise,
> again, go with something common to show that actions are available. For
> example, and disclosure triangle on the far right of a UI widget is
> typically clickable and will bring up a menu. Left-click will bring up your
> context menu, and r-click anywhere will bring it up as well.
>
> Jeff M.
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a couple of user interface
> > questions.
> >
> > I'm providing a popup contextual menu when the user right-clicks on a
> > datagrid.  I'm also providing the ability to re-order rows in a datagrid
> by
> > dragging and dropping them.  The common thread between these two
> functions
> > is that there is no on-screen indication that they exist.  Popup menus
> are
> > invisible until they are invoked and drag and drop is equally invisible
> > until someone initiates it.
> >
> > Are there any common methods for indicating to users that features like
> > this
> > are available to them?
> >
> > Pete
> > Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>

Re: User Interface Question

William de Smet-2
Hi Pete,

After unlock you have to set the cursor to arrow,

Greetings,

William

-----
Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone!

Op 30 jul. 2011 om 21:58 heeft Pete <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> Thanks Jeff.  I'm trying to implement the cursor change and running into
> some weirdness.
>
> In the script of the datagrid, I have these two handlers:
>
>   *on* mouseEnter
>
>   *lock* cursor
>
>   *set* the cursor to hand
>
> *end* mouseEnter
>

> *on* mouseLeave
>
>   *unlock* cursor
>
> *end* mouseLeave
>

> This changes the cursor as expected and most of the time, it returns to the
> correct cursor when I move the mouse away from the datagrid.  However, if I
> move the cursor above the datagrid, the cursor stays as the hand and does
> not return to any other image no matter where I move the mouse to.
>

> This is the first time I've attempted to control the cursor so no doubt I'm
> doing something wrong!
>

> Pete
> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>
>

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Jeff Massung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For dragging, I'd go with "handles" on the left side of the datagrid that
>> have hand icon when you hover over them. They've become pretty ubiquitous
>> on
>> webpages. For an example of what I mean:
>>
>> http://jqueryui.com/demos/sortable/
>>
>> As for a context menu, you be okay with just a tool-tip. People generally
>> try and right-click a lot for things they expect to be there. Otherwise,
>> again, go with something common to show that actions are available. For
>> example, and disclosure triangle on the far right of a UI widget is
>> typically clickable and will bring up a menu. Left-click will bring up your
>> context menu, and r-click anywhere will bring it up as well.
>>
>> Jeff M.
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a couple of user interface
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> I'm providing a popup contextual menu when the user right-clicks on a
>>> datagrid.  I'm also providing the ability to re-order rows in a datagrid
>> by
>>> dragging and dropping them.  The common thread between these two
>> functions
>>> is that there is no on-screen indication that they exist.  Popup menus
>> are
>>> invisible until they are invoked and drag and drop is equally invisible
>>> until someone initiates it.
>>>
>>> Are there any common methods for indicating to users that features like
>>> this
>>> are available to them?
>>>
>>> Pete
>>> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>

Re: User Interface Question

Peter Haworth-2
I tried that - didn't make any difference.  The cursor returns to arrow
automatically with the code I have, except when I move the mouse above the
datagrid.
Pete

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM, William de Smet <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> After unlock you have to set the cursor to arrow,
>
> Greetings,
>
> William
>
> -----
> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone!
>
> Op 30 jul. 2011 om 21:58 heeft Pete <[hidden email]> het volgende
> geschreven:
>
> > Thanks Jeff.  I'm trying to implement the cursor change and running into
> > some weirdness.
> >
> > In the script of the datagrid, I have these two handlers:
> >
> >   *on* mouseEnter
> >
> >   *lock* cursor
> >
> >   *set* the cursor to hand
> >
> > *end* mouseEnter
> >

> > *on* mouseLeave
> >
> >   *unlock* cursor
> >
> > *end* mouseLeave
> >

> > This changes the cursor as expected and most of the time, it returns to
> the
> > correct cursor when I move the mouse away from the datagrid.  However, if
> > move the cursor above the datagrid, the cursor stays as the hand and does
> > not return to any other image no matter where I move the mouse to.
> >

> > This is the first time I've attempted to control the cursor so no doubt
> I'm
> > doing something wrong!
> >

> > Pete
> > Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Jeff Massung <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> For dragging, I'd go with "handles" on the left side of the datagrid
> that
> >> have hand icon when you hover over them. They've become pretty
> ubiquitous
> >> on
> >> webpages. For an example of what I mean:
> >>
> >> http://jqueryui.com/demos/sortable/
> >>
> >> As for a context menu, you be okay with just a tool-tip. People
> generally
> >> try and right-click a lot for things they expect to be there. Otherwise,
> >> again, go with something common to show that actions are available. For
> >> example, and disclosure triangle on the far right of a UI widget is
> >> typically clickable and will bring up a menu. Left-click will bring up
> your
> >> context menu, and r-click anywhere will bring it up as well.
> >>
> >> Jeff M.

> datagrid
> >> by
> >> functions
> >> are

Re: User Interface Question

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Pete,

Never offer a popup menu as the only way to access a feature. Put your popup menu into the menubar and enable the menu items in those situations when the user might as well click on the objects to show the popup menu. Show the same menu, or the essential menu items of it, in the optional popup menu.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

What does that error mean? Buy LiveCodeErrors for iPhone now http://qery.us/v4 A must-have for LiveCode programmers.

On 30 jul 2011, at 20:42, Pete wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a couple of user interface
> questions.
>
> I'm providing a popup contextual menu when the user right-clicks on a
> datagrid.  I'm also providing the ability to re-order rows in a datagrid by
> dragging and dropping them.  The common thread between these two functions
> is that there is no on-screen indication that they exist.  Popup menus are
> invisible until they are invoked and drag and drop is equally invisible
> until someone initiates it.
>
> Are there any common methods for indicating to users that features like this
> are available to them?
>
> Pete
> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: User Interface Question

Peter Haworth-2
Hi Mark,
Yes, that sound like good advice.  In fact, I just read the Apple HIG about
contextual menus and they recommend the same approach, except they recommend
the use of the standard Apple Action menu rather than a menubar entry.

Pete

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Mark Schonewille <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> Never offer a popup menu as the only way to access a feature. Put your
> popup menu into the menubar and enable the menu items in those situations
> when the user might as well click on the objects to show the popup menu.
> Show the same menu, or the essential menu items of it, in the optional popup
> menu.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> KvK: 50277553
>
> What does that error mean? Buy LiveCodeErrors for iPhone now
> http://qery.us/v4 A must-have for LiveCode programmers.
>
> On 30 jul 2011, at 20:42, Pete wrote:
>
> > Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a couple of user interface
> > questions.
> >
> > I'm providing a popup contextual menu when the user right-clicks on a
> > datagrid.  I'm also providing the ability to re-order rows in a datagrid
> by
> > dragging and dropping them.  The common thread between these two
> functions
> > is that there is no on-screen indication that they exist.  Popup menus
> are
> > invisible until they are invoked and drag and drop is equally invisible
> > until someone initiates it.
> >
> > Are there any common methods for indicating to users that features like
> this
> > are available to them?
> >
> > Pete
> > Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>

Re: User Interface Question

Jeffrey Massung
I never do mouse cursor changes in controls. I do all of them in the card.

on mouseMove px,py
  if px,py is within the rect of ... then
    -- cursor A
  else if px,py is within the rect of ... then
    -- cursor B
  else
    -- put the cursor back to normal
  end if
end mouseMove

This makes it *much* easier to control what's shown when.

Jeff M.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jeff.  I'm trying to implement the cursor change and running into
> some weirdness.
>
> In the script of the datagrid, I have these two handlers:
>
>   *on* mouseEnter
>
>   *lock* cursor
>
>   *set* the cursor to hand
>
> *end* mouseEnter
>

> *on* mouseLeave
>
>   *unlock* cursor
>
> *end* mouseLeave
>

> This changes the cursor as expected and most of the time, it returns to the
> correct cursor when I move the mouse away from the datagrid.  However, if I
> move the cursor above the datagrid, the cursor stays as the hand and does
> not return to any other image no matter where I move the mouse to.
>

> This is the first time I've attempted to control the cursor so no doubt I'm
> doing something wrong!
>

> Pete
> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>
>

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Jeff Massung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For dragging, I'd go with "handles" on the left side of the datagrid that
> > have hand icon when you hover over them. They've become pretty ubiquitous
> > on
> > webpages. For an example of what I mean:
> >
> > http://jqueryui.com/demos/sortable/
> >
> > As for a context menu, you be okay with just a tool-tip. People generally
> > try and right-click a lot for things they expect to be there. Otherwise,
> > again, go with something common to show that actions are available. For
> > example, and disclosure triangle on the far right of a UI widget is
> > typically clickable and will bring up a menu. Left-click will bring up
> your
> > context menu, and r-click anywhere will bring it up as well.
> >
> > Jeff M.
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a couple of user interface
> > > questions.
> > >
> > > I'm providing a popup contextual menu when the user right-clicks on a
> > > datagrid.  I'm also providing the ability to re-order rows in a
> datagrid
> > by
> > > dragging and dropping them.  The common thread between these two
> > functions
> > > is that there is no on-screen indication that they exist.  Popup menus
> > are
> > > invisible until they are invoked and drag and drop is equally invisible
> > > until someone initiates it.
> > >
> > > Are there any common methods for indicating to users that features like
> > > this
> > > are available to them?
> > >
> > > Pete
> > > Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>

Blacklisted

Michael Kann
I sent an email request to [hidden email] from my yahoo account and got the following failure notice:
---------------------------------
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<[hidden email]>:
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Your IP 98.139.212.175 is blacklisted. Click delist.emailfiltering.com to delist [RCPT_TO]
---------------------------------
Do you think this is legit or is it a scam to get you to click on the delist URL?
More importantly, did my email get through?
---------------------------------
Here's the question I was going to ask. I've installed LiveCode 4.6.3 on both XP and Vista and can't get past the dialog box where it wants you to associate the file endings .rev and .livecode with the program. Anywhere I click when I get that dialog box makes the program disappear.

What I really want is to see the new dictionary so I can start playing around with the liveCode Server engine. Has anyone liberated the new dictionary so we can read it as a text file?

Any help is appreciated as always,

Mike

Re: User Interface Question

pmbrig
And it's much better not to lock the cursor and then change it. Locked cursors have a way of sticking if the handler to unlock the cursor somehow misses. instead, don't lock anything, just set the defaultcursor to hand, then set it to empty when done. I usually have this in my stack script:

on mousemove
   put the target into tTarg
   if the name of the target contains "button" then
      if the tool contains "browse" then
         set the defaultcursor to hand
      end if
   else
      set the defaultcursor to empty
   end if
   pass mouseMove
end mousemove

on mouseLeave
   set the defaultcursor to empty
   pass mouseLeave
end mouseLeave

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
[hidden email]
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

On Jul 30, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Jeff Massung wrote:

> I never do mouse cursor changes in controls. I do all of them in the card.
>
> on mouseMove px,py
>  if px,py is within the rect of ... then
>    -- cursor A
>  else if px,py is within the rect of ... then
>    -- cursor B
>  else
>    -- put the cursor back to normal
>  end if
> end mouseMove
>
> This makes it *much* easier to control what's shown when.
>
> Jeff M.
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jeff.  I'm trying to implement the cursor change and running into
>> some weirdness.
>>
>> In the script of the datagrid, I have these two handlers:
>>
>>  *on* mouseEnter
>>
>>  *lock* cursor
>>
>>  *set* the cursor to hand
>>
>> *end* mouseEnter
>>

>> *on* mouseLeave
>>
>>  *unlock* cursor
>>
>> *end* mouseLeave
>>

>> This changes the cursor as expected and most of the time, it returns to the
>> correct cursor when I move the mouse away from the datagrid.  However, if I
>> move the cursor above the datagrid, the cursor stays as the hand and does
>> not return to any other image no matter where I move the mouse to.
>>

>> This is the first time I've attempted to control the cursor so no doubt I'm
>> doing something wrong!
>>

>> Pete
>> Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Jeff Massung <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> For dragging, I'd go with "handles" on the left side of the datagrid that
>>> have hand icon when you hover over them. They've become pretty ubiquitous
>>> on
>>> webpages. For an example of what I mean:
>>>
>>> http://jqueryui.com/demos/sortable/
>>>
>>> As for a context menu, you be okay with just a tool-tip. People generally
>>> try and right-click a lot for things they expect to be there. Otherwise,
>>> again, go with something common to show that actions are available. For
>>> example, and disclosure triangle on the far right of a UI widget is
>>> typically clickable and will bring up a menu. Left-click will bring up
>> your
>>> context menu, and r-click anywhere will bring it up as well.
>>>
>>> Jeff M.

>> datagrid
>>> by
>>> functions
>>> are

Re: User Interface Question

Peter Haworth-2
Thanks to all for the advice.  I've tried all the suggestions but I still
have the same problem.  The cursor changes to the hand correctly when I
hover over the datagrid.  If I move the mouse off the datagrid in any
direction except upwards, the cursor changes back to what it should be.  If
I move the mouse to any spot above the datagrid, the cursor stays as a hand
and stays that way no matter where I move the mouse.  It's as if the
mouseLeave event never happens for mouse movement in the upward direction
from the datagrid.

While on the subject, can anyone recommend a good source for cursor icons
(preferably free!)?

Thanks,

Pete

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Peter Brigham MD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> some weirdness.
> >>
> >> In the script of the datagrid, I have these two handlers:
> >>
> >>  *on* mouseEnter
> >>
> >>  *lock* cursor
> >>
> >>  *set* the cursor to hand
> >>
> >> *end* mouseEnter
> >>

> >> *on* mouseLeave
> >>
> >>  *unlock* cursor
> >>
> >> *end* mouseLeave
> >>

> >> This changes the cursor as expected and most of the time, it returns to
> the
> >> correct cursor when I move the mouse away from the datagrid.  However,
> if I
> >> move the cursor above the datagrid, the cursor stays as the hand and
> does
> >> not return to any other image no matter where I move the mouse to.
> >>

> >> This is the first time I've attempted to control the cursor so no doubt

Shao Sean-2
Is there a header on the datagrid?  Does the same issue happen without
a header?

Re: User Interface Question

Peter Haworth-2
Yes there is a header.  I tried hiding the header by setting the show header
property to false, but it still is displayed.  Beginning to suspect that I
have some sort of corruption in the datagrid.
Pete

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Shao Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a header on the datagrid?  Does the same issue happen without a
> header?

Re: Blacklisted

slylabs13
If you have ever had spam or malware coming from that IP then it is quite possible you have been blacklisted. This can occur if a device behind that router has been compromised. If it is a Windows PC without antivirus, this is almost surely the culprit.

Yes, I am afraid you will have to respond to the blacklisting authority after you have found and resolved the problem.

Bob

On Jul 31, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Michael Kann wrote:

> I sent an email request to [hidden email] from my yahoo account and got the following failure notice:
> ---------------------------------
> Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
>
> <[hidden email]>:
> Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Your IP 98.139.212.175 is blacklisted. Click delist.emailfiltering.com to delist [RCPT_TO]
> ---------------------------------
> Do you think this is legit or is it a scam to get you to click on the delist URL?
> More importantly, did my email get through?
> ---------------------------------
> Here's the question I was going to ask. I've installed LiveCode 4.6.3 on both XP and Vista and can't get past the dialog box where it wants you to associate the file endings .rev and .livecode with the program. Anywhere I click when I get that dialog box makes the program disappear.
>
> What I really want is to see the new dictionary so I can start playing around with the liveCode Server engine. Has anyone liberated the new dictionary so we can read it as a text file?
>
> Any help is appreciated as always,
>
> Mike

Re: Blacklisted

Peter Haworth-2
The blacklisting is for a Yahoo mail server - need to contact Yahoo and get
them to fix whatever it was that got them blacklisted.

As an aside, blacklisting is how I got to know about Livecode (Revolution at
the time).  A couple of years back, my email hosts server was blacklisted
and I got involved with the blacklisting service to get it fixed, signing up
on their discussion list.  A couple of months later, Heather Nagey had to
deal with the same blacklisting agency and I saw from her email that she was
involved with a software company, looked them up and ended becoming a
customer.

Pete

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you have ever had spam or malware coming from that IP then it is quite
> possible you have been blacklisted. This can occur if a device behind that
> router has been compromised. If it is a Windows PC without antivirus, this
> is almost surely the culprit.
>
> Yes, I am afraid you will have to respond to the blacklisting authority
> after you have found and resolved the problem.
>
> Bob
>

> On Jul 31, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Michael Kann wrote:
>
> > I sent an email request to [hidden email] from my yahoo account and
> got the following failure notice:
> > ---------------------------------
> > Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
> >
> > <[hidden email]>:
> > Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Your IP 98.139.212.175 is blacklisted. Click
> delist.emailfiltering.com to delist [RCPT_TO]
> > ---------------------------------
> > Do you think this is legit or is it a scam to get you to click on the
> delist URL?
> > More importantly, did my email get through?
> > ---------------------------------
> > Here's the question I was going to ask. I've installed LiveCode 4.6.3 on
> both XP and Vista and can't get past the dialog box where it wants you to
> associate the file endings .rev and .livecode with the program. Anywhere I
> click when I get that dialog box makes the program disappear.
> >
> > What I really want is to see the new dictionary so I can start playing
> around with the liveCode Server engine. Has anyone liberated the new
> dictionary so we can read it as a text file?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated as always,
> >
> > Mike

Re: Blacklisted

J. Landman Gay
On 8/1/11 11:51 AM, Pete wrote:

> As an aside, blacklisting is how I got to know about Livecode (Revolution at
> the time).  A couple of years back, my email hosts server was blacklisted
> and I got involved with the blacklisting service to get it fixed, signing up
> on their discussion list.  A couple of months later, Heather Nagey had to
> deal with the same blacklisting agency and I saw from her email that she was
> involved with a software company, looked them up and ended becoming a
> customer.

Wow. Talk about silver linings. :)

Re: Blacklisted

slylabs13
We need to get Heather to sign up for more lists and do some evangelizing! :-)

Bob