Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Stephen Barncard-4
I have a lot of 'quick' stacks around that are too specific and tiny for
each to have its own engine - what I've been doing is compiling a standalone
'Launcher' that looks at a web folder and lists the available stacks.

i then select one and launch it via the 'go URL' command. Slick. Inspired by
Ken Ray's invention. It can also upload stacks.

I can then use any of these stacks anywhere with no IDE.  Very nice except I
can't seem to make datagrids work on stacks that are used this way.  I was
able to ascertain that indeed the substack with the datagrid template was
there. But the datagrid just won't respond.

I've tried start-using but it seems to have no effect.

I've read the piece on how to add the datagrid to stacks assembled in the
standalone creator,  however this is different.
I don't change the splash stack - everything other than the engine and
libraries live in the current stack.

How do I connect the datagrid to the substack in this situation?  It's a
drag to have two pieces , but since this is on the same stack file,
shouldn't this just work?

thanks for any help

sqb

--

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Andrew Kluthe
I couldn't get datagrids to work in this fashion at all. :\ I included one on a hidden card in my launcher, built it as a standalone, no datagrids working anywhere on my test machine. I have been using the actual stack launcher from sons of thunder for any projects I need that need to use this method, and it is 4.0 engine. I'd rather have 4.6 but can't get datagrids to work when I build my own "Stack launcher".

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Stephen Barncard-4
Perhaps Trevor or *the Slug* can chime in here. It would be useful if the
Datagrid was just a bit more portable.

On 7 June 2011 15:40, Andrew Kluthe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I couldn't get datagrids to work in this fashion at all. :\ I included one
> on
> a hidden card in my launcher, built it as a standalone, no datagrids
> working
> anywhere on my test machine. I have been using the actual stack launcher
> from sons of thunder for any projects I need that need to use this method,
> and it is 4.0 engine. I'd rather have 4.6 but can't get datagrids to work
> when I build my own "Stack launcher".

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Marty Knapp
Stephen,

 From this lesson:
http://lessons.runrev.com/spaces/lessons/manuals/datagrid/lessons/7339-What-Do-I-Need-to-Do-To-Deploy-a-Standalone-With-A-Data-Grid-

---
"Some developers prefer to use a launcher (or splash) stack technique.
This technique builds a standalone using a stack with very little code
in it. In this case the stack used to build the standalone will not have
a substack whose name begins with "Data Grid Templates" as no data grids
have been added to it.

In this case you will need to create a substack that tricks the
Standalone Builder into adding the necessary stack files. From the File
menu, create a new substack of your launcher stack (1).

Name the substack "Data Grid Templates Dud" and save your launcher
stack. Now if you build a standalone application the Standalone Builder
will include the necessary data grid stack."
--

I've used this trick and find it works.

Marty Knapp

> I have a lot of 'quick' stacks around that are too specific and tiny for
> each to have its own engine - what I've been doing is compiling a standalone
> 'Launcher' that looks at a web folder and lists the available stacks.
>
> i then select one and launch it via the 'go URL' command. Slick. Inspired by
> Ken Ray's invention. It can also upload stacks.
>
> I can then use any of these stacks anywhere with no IDE.  Very nice except I
> can't seem to make datagrids work on stacks that are used this way.  I was
> able to ascertain that indeed the substack with the datagrid template was
> there. But the datagrid just won't respond.
>
> I've tried start-using but it seems to have no effect.
>
> I've read the piece on how to add the datagrid to stacks assembled in the
> standalone creator,  however this is different.
> I don't change the splash stack - everything other than the engine and
> libraries live in the current stack.
>
> How do I connect the datagrid to the substack in this situation?  It's a
> drag to have two pieces , but since this is on the same stack file,
> shouldn't this just work?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> sqb

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Stephen Barncard-4
I don't think you fully read my explanation and why this is not what I want.
I don't want to recompile every time and this method is specific to one
datagrid.  I am not using the 'splash stack' method so much as I am using a
launcher with all the libraries and engine in one place.

On 7 June 2011 15:59, Marty Knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> From this lesson:
>
> http://lessons.runrev.com/spaces/lessons/manuals/datagrid/lessons/7339-What-Do-I-Need-to-Do-To-Deploy-a-Standalone-With-A-Data-Grid-
>
> ---
> "Some developers prefer to use a launcher (or splash) stack technique. This
> technique builds a standalone using a stack with very little code in it. In
> this case the stack used to build the standalone will not have a substack
> whose name begins with "Data Grid Templates" as no data grids have been
> added to it.
>
> In this case you will need to create a substack that tricks the Standalone
> Builder into adding the necessary stack files. From the File menu, create a
> new substack of your launcher stack (1).
>
> Name the substack "Data Grid Templates Dud" and save your launcher stack.
> Now if you build a standalone application the Standalone Builder will
> include the necessary data grid stack."
> --
>
> I've used this trick and find it works.
>
> Marty Knapp
>

>  I have a lot of 'quick' stacks around that are too specific and tiny for
>> each to have its own engine - what I've been doing is compiling a
>> standalone
>> 'Launcher' that looks at a web folder and lists the available stacks.
>>
>> i then select one and launch it via the 'go URL' command. Slick. Inspired
>> by
>> Ken Ray's invention. It can also upload stacks.
>>
>> I can then use any of these stacks anywhere with no IDE.  Very nice except
>> can't seem to make datagrids work on stacks that are used this way.  I was
>> able to ascertain that indeed the substack with the datagrid template was
>> there. But the datagrid just won't respond.
>>
>> I've tried start-using but it seems to have no effect.
>>
>> I've read the piece on how to add the datagrid to stacks assembled in the
>> standalone creator,  however this is different.
>> I don't change the splash stack - everything other than the engine and
>> libraries live in the current stack.
>>
>> How do I connect the datagrid to the substack in this situation?  It's a
>> drag to have two pieces , but since this is on the same stack file,
>> shouldn't this just work?
>>
>> thanks for any help
>>
>> sqb

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Peter Haworth-2
What are the symptoms you're getting - error message, datagrids don't
display, etc?  Could it be that the datagrid library is looking for things
in the launcher's stack file (like the dg templates) rather than the
launched stack?
Pete

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM, stephen barncard <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> was
> >> there. But the datagrid just won't respond.
> >>
> >> I've tried start-using but it seems to have no effect.
> >>
> >> I've read the piece on how to add the datagrid to stacks assembled in
> the
> >> standalone creator,  however this is different.
> >> I don't change the splash stack - everything other than the engine and
> >> libraries live in the current stack.
> >>
> >> How do I connect the datagrid to the substack in this situation?  It's a
> >> drag to have two pieces , but since this is on the same stack file,
> >> shouldn't this just work?
> >>
> >> thanks for any help
> >>
> >> sqb

> Stephen Barncard
> San Francisco Ca. USA
>
> more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

I did read your explanation, but obviously I misunderstood something. My
apologies.
Marty

> [...]
>>>
>>> I can then use any of these stacks anywhere with no IDE.  Very nice except
>>> can't seem to make datagrids work on stacks that are used this way.  I was
>>> able to ascertain that indeed the substack with the datagrid template was
>>> there. But the datagrid just won't respond.
>>>
>>> I've tried start-using but it seems to have no effect.
>>>
>>> I've read the piece on how to add the datagrid to stacks assembled in the
>>> standalone creator,  however this is different.
>>> I don't change the splash stack - everything other than the engine and
>>> libraries live in the current stack.
>>>
>>> How do I connect the datagrid to the substack in this situation?  It's a
>>> drag to have two pieces , but since this is on the same stack file,
>>> shouldn't this just work?
>>>
>>> thanks for any help
>>>
>>> sqb

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

I didn't install templates anywhere else. It's the same substack. I'm pretty
sure I included the DG library if there is one.

There is no error message. DGText doesn't load anything and even with
content in there it doesn't scroll. BUt the stack template substack is right
there.

Marty - didn't mean to sound so angry .   sorry.

On 7 June 2011 16:24, Pete <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Now if you build a standalone application the Standalone Builder will
> > > include the necessary data grid stack."
> > > --
> > >
> > > I've used this trick and find it works.
> > >
> > > Marty Knapp
> > >

> > >  I have a lot of 'quick' stacks around that are too specific and tiny
> for

> > Inspired

> > except
> > was
> > was

> > the

> > --
> >

> > Stephen Barncard
> > San Francisco Ca. USA
> >
> > more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

This sounds exactly like the problem I have when trying to compile a "launcher stack" that downloads updates from the internet and runs them on the engine. I get garbled datagrids, that look half drawn and they cannot scroll. No error messages though. I'm on Windows 7.

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Anthony Howe
Yea, I experience weird datagrid draws also here. 4.5.2, OSX.

The offending datagrids are in an external stack that is loaded ('start using stack') on the fly when required. When I open these stacks at any time, the datagrids display incorrect highlighting (sometimes multiple lines selected), and deformed (or duplicated, and superimposed) text. I can't seem to define a pattern or repeatable formula to identify cause. Rather sporadic.

I do use Data Grid Helper - which is a godsend, but this issue does not seem to affect the datagrids in my mainstack.

On 08/06/2011, at 11:33 AM, Andrew Kluthe wrote:

> This sounds exactly like the problem I have when trying to compile a
> "launcher stack" that downloads updates from the internet and runs them on
> the engine. I get garbled datagrids, that look half drawn and they cannot
> scroll. No error messages though. I'm on Windows 7.

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Trevor DeVore
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM, stephen barncard <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can then use any of these stacks anywhere with no IDE.  Very nice except
> can't seem to make datagrids work on stacks that are used this way.  I was
> able to ascertain that indeed the substack with the datagrid template was
> there. But the datagrid just won't respond.
>
> I've tried start-using but it seems to have no effect.
>
> I've read the piece on how to add the datagrid to stacks assembled in the
> standalone creator,  however this is different.
> I don't change the splash stack - everything other than the engine and
> libraries live in the current stack.
>
> How do I connect the datagrid to the substack in this situation?  It's a
> drag to have two pieces , but since this is on the same stack file,
> shouldn't this just work?

You just need to make sure that the revDataGridLibrary stack file is loaded
into memory BEFORE any of the stacks that use data grids are loaded. This is
required so that the behaviors attached to the data grid resolve properly
when the engine opens the stacks.

After getting the path to the revDataGridLibrary stack file just issue this
command before loading any other stacks:

put there is a stack thePathToDataGridStackFile into
theStackIsLoadedInMemory

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems

LiveCode Resources for Developers: http://livecode.bluemangolearning.com

Re: Using Datagrids with 'stackrunner' like launcher.

Ken Ray

> After getting the path to the revDataGridLibrary stack file just issue this
> command before loading any other stacks:
>
> put there is a stack thePathToDataGridStackFile into
> theStackIsLoadedInMemory

One of these days, we *really* need something simple, like:

  if <stack> is not loaded then
    load <stack>
  end if

:D