Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

JOHN PATTEN-2
Hi all!

 I have the MergGoogle extension and sample stack. I am attempting to get the sample stack included with mergGoogle working.

I have gone to Google and created a OAuth 2.0 client ID and client secret. I have exchanged the existing client ID and added my client secret the “on authorize” routine. When I execute authorize it answers “219,25,11,mergGoogelAuth  465,25,11” . So I’m doing something wrong, as I would expect to at lease see the text “loading spreadsheets…” in the fld “info” if I was doing it right.

I am using LiveCode 8.0 and it’s been a while since I have used any externals. I could be very easily forgetting a step in order to make this work.

I have found the documentation on Monte’s site related to the calls in MergGoogle, but I am not quite sure how to make it all work. I was hoping to get the example working, and the piecemeal it from there.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Monte Goulding-2
Is this a typo in your code or in your copying the answer dialog content?

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 May 2016, at 8:17 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> mergGoogelAuth

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

JOHN PATTEN-2
Oops… Yes that was a typo. It returns 219,25,11,mergGoogleAuth  465,25,11”

Is it my understanding that the example stack should work right out of the “box?”

Also, the part about the pScope in the sample stack, it is “https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds <https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds>,” does this need to be changed to a specific spreadsheet url?

I’m a little unclear on what the result I should be seeing in the sample stack? However, it seems like I should be pointing the sample stack to a specific Google spreadsheet.

I see a drop down button labeled Spreadsheets. Will this show all the spreadsheets currently in my Google account when the stack is working correctly?

Thank you!

> On May 19, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is this a typo in your code or in your copying the answer dialog content?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 20 May 2016, at 8:17 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> mergGoogelAuth

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Monte Goulding-2

> On 20 May 2016, at 8:38 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oops… Yes that was a typo. It returns 219,25,11,mergGoogleAuth  465,25,11”
>
> Is it my understanding that the example stack should work right out of the “box?”

It should in LiveCode 8 Indy + work out of the box. In earlier versions of LiveCode you will need to get the IDE to load the bundle. By following these instructions:

http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4071/l/6347-how-to-install-3rd-party-externals-for-use-in-the-ide-and-standalone-builder

> Also, the part about the pScope in the sample stack, it is “https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds <https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds><https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds <https://spreadsheets.google.com/feeds>>,” does this need to be changed to a specific spreadsheet url?

No, leave that as is for spreadsheets. The scope of the OAuth dialog was deliberately left flexible so we could implement other APIs and perhaps allow the dialog to be used for non-google OAuth providers.

> I’m a little unclear on what the result I should be seeing in the sample stack? However, it seems like I should be pointing the sample stack to a specific Google spreadsheet.
>
> I see a drop down button labeled Spreadsheets. Will this show all the spreadsheets currently in my Google account when the stack is working correctly?

Yes it will list all the spreadsheets in your account and when you pick one list the worksheets within and so on.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Monte Goulding-2

> On 20 May 2016, at 9:19 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In earlier versions of LiveCode

I should mention here that it will not work in versions of LC prior to 6.7.10 or in any version of LC Community.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

JOHN PATTEN-2
Hi All,

I’m still not getting this to work. I thought maybe it was because I was trying to talk to Google through our Google Apps For Education (Enterprise) edition at school.  I tried with my regular Google Account at home, but got the same results. The stack answers with: 219,25,11,mergGoogleAuth<return>465,25,11.

Just for clarification on the Google Console components screen, I am logging into the Google API site and creating new Credentials of type Web Application. Do I have to enable a specific API? I see all the Google Apps APIs, but nothing specifically for Google Sheets.

Also, I am putting the “client secret” in quotes like the rest of the mergeGoogleAuth script.

And, I am using LiveCode 8.0, Build 13018 on a Mac running OS X 10.11.3.

Thank you!

John Patten
SUSD

> On May 19, 2016, at 4:22 PM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 20 May 2016, at 9:19 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In earlier versions of LiveCode
>
> I should mention here that it will not work in versions of LC prior to 6.7.10 or in any version of LC Community.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
Let's back you up.  When you open the test stack and log in, what happens?

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m still not getting this to work. I thought maybe it was because I was
> trying to talk to Google through our Google Apps For Education (Enterprise)
> edition at school.  I tried with my regular Google Account at home, but got
> the same results. The stack answers with:
> 219,25,11,mergGoogleAuth<return>465,25,11.
>
> Just for clarification on the Google Console components screen, I am
> logging into the Google API site and creating new Credentials of type Web
> Application. Do I have to enable a specific API? I see all the Google Apps
> APIs, but nothing specifically for Google Sheets.
>
> Also, I am putting the “client secret” in quotes like the rest of the
> mergeGoogleAuth script.
>
> And, I am using LiveCode 8.0, Build 13018 on a Mac running OS X 10.11.3.
>
> Thank you!
>
> John Patten
> SUSD
>

> > On May 19, 2016, at 4:22 PM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 20 May 2016, at 9:19 AM, Monte Goulding <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> In earlier versions of LiveCode
> >
> > I should mention here that it will not work in versions of LC prior to
> 6.7.10 or in any version of LC Community.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Monte

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

JOHN PATTEN-2
When I launch the example mergGoogle stack this is what it does:

https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>

Thanks!

> On May 20, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Let's back you up.  When you open the test stack and log in, what happens?
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I’m still not getting this to work. I thought maybe it was because I was
>> trying to talk to Google through our Google Apps For Education (Enterprise)
>> edition at school.  I tried with my regular Google Account at home, but got
>> the same results. The stack answers with:
>> 219,25,11,mergGoogleAuth<return>465,25,11.
>>
>> Just for clarification on the Google Console components screen, I am
>> logging into the Google API site and creating new Credentials of type Web
>> Application. Do I have to enable a specific API? I see all the Google Apps
>> APIs, but nothing specifically for Google Sheets.
>>
>> Also, I am putting the “client secret” in quotes like the rest of the
>> mergeGoogleAuth script.
>>
>> And, I am using LiveCode 8.0, Build 13018 on a Mac running OS X 10.11.3.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> John Patten
>> SUSD

>>> I should mention here that it will not work in versions of LC prior to
>> 6.7.10 or in any version of LC Community.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Monte

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

JOHN PATTEN-2
Hi Mike,

Oh, Should mention there is no “login” request either. It just shows the “answer” dialogue when the demo app is launched.

Thank you!

> On May 20, 2016, at 8:49 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I launch the example mergGoogle stack this is what it does:
>
> https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>
>
> Thanks!
>

>> On May 20, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Let's back you up.  When you open the test stack and log in, what happens?
>>
>> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I’m still not getting this to work. I thought maybe it was because I was
>>> trying to talk to Google through our Google Apps For Education (Enterprise)
>>> edition at school.  I tried with my regular Google Account at home, but got
>>> the same results. The stack answers with:
>>> 219,25,11,mergGoogleAuth<return>465,25,11.
>>>
>>> Just for clarification on the Google Console components screen, I am
>>> logging into the Google API site and creating new Credentials of type Web
>>> Application. Do I have to enable a specific API? I see all the Google Apps
>>> APIs, but nothing specifically for Google Sheets.
>>>
>>> Also, I am putting the “client secret” in quotes like the rest of the
>>> mergeGoogleAuth script.
>>>
>>> And, I am using LiveCode 8.0, Build 13018 on a Mac running OS X 10.11.3.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> John Patten
>>> SUSD

>>> 6.7.10 or in any version of LC Community.

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>  and did a little diving.
>> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
Ummmm what answer dialog?  The first time you open the stack, you should
see a separate window with a google login request.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Oh, Should mention there is no “login” request either. It just shows the
> “answer” dialogue when the demo app is launched.
>
> Thank you!
>

> > On May 20, 2016, at 8:49 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > When I launch the example mergGoogle stack this is what it does:
> >
> > https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> >> On May 20, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Let's back you up.  When you open the test stack and log in, what
> happens?

> was
> (Enterprise)
> but got

> Web
> Apps

> 10.11.3.

> >> --
> >> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> >> On the second day, God created the oceans.
> >> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >>  and did a little diving.
> >> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
ok, I see the dialog.  Just for the heck of it, try opening the stack in LC
6 or 7.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ummmm what answer dialog?  The first time you open the stack, you should
> see a separate window with a google login request.
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Oh, Should mention there is no “login” request either. It just shows the
>> “answer” dialogue when the demo app is launched.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

>> > On May 20, 2016, at 8:49 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > When I launch the example mergGoogle stack this is what it does:
>> >
>> > https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>
>> >
>> > Thanks!

>> happens?

>> was
>> (Enterprise)
>> but got

>> Web
>> Apps

>> 10.11.3.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
I just tried opening the sample in 8 and in 7 and it fails in both.  Try
6.  I did 6.7.8 and 6.7.2.  mergGoogle might require a recompile.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> ok, I see the dialog.  Just for the heck of it, try opening the stack in
> LC 6 or 7.
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Ummmm what answer dialog?  The first time you open the stack, you should
>> see a separate window with a google login request.
>>
>> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> Oh, Should mention there is no “login” request either. It just shows the
>>> “answer” dialogue when the demo app is launched.
>>>
>>> Thank you!

>>> happens?

>>> was
>>> (Enterprise)
>>> but got

>>> type Web
>>> Google Apps

>>> 10.11.3.

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>    and did a little diving.
>> And God said, "This is good."

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Roger Eller
Monte said a few emails back that 6.8.10 is the oldest version that works
with the external.

~Roger

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I just tried opening the sample in 8 and in 7 and it fails in both.  Try
> 6.  I did 6.7.8 and 6.7.2.  mergGoogle might require a recompile.

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
OK, so try it with 6.8.10.  I just ran the latest version with 6.7.2,
though.  My every-day instance runs in 6.7.8

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Monte said a few emails back that 6.8.10 is the oldest version that works
> with the external.
>
> ~Roger
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I just tried opening the sample in 8 and in 7 and it fails in both.  Try
> > 6.  I did 6.7.8 and 6.7.2.  mergGoogle might require a recompile.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

JOHN PATTEN-2
Hi All,

I have tried the demo stack in multiple versions of Livecode, including 6.7.8, and I get the same result. An answer dialog appears when the stack launches: https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>

I even copied the mergGoogle.lcext extension into the Extensions folder identified in the Preferences.

There must be something else that is not quite right now with published extension, or a change at Google. However, that doesn’t explain why Mike’s is still working.

Thank you!

John Patten
SUSD

> On May 20, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, so try it with 6.8.10.  I just ran the latest version with 6.7.2,
> though.  My every-day instance runs in 6.7.8
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Monte said a few emails back that 6.8.10 is the oldest version that works
>> with the external.
>>
>> ~Roger
>>
>> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just tried opening the sample in 8 and in 7 and it fails in both.  Try
>>> 6.  I did 6.7.8 and 6.7.2.  mergGoogle might require a recompile.

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
I just tried 6.7.8 mac with merggoogle 1.0.12 test stack, and it works
fine.  if I go up to 7.1.4 Stable or 8.0.1 rc1 I get the answer dialogs of
death.

Next question:  Did you ever ban LC from getting access to your keychain?
At some time, you probably got a dialog asking for access to it.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have tried the demo stack in multiple versions of Livecode, including
> 6.7.8, and I get the same result. An answer dialog appears when the stack
> launches: https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>
>
> I even copied the mergGoogle.lcext extension into the Extensions folder
> identified in the Preferences.
>
> There must be something else that is not quite right now with published
> extension, or a change at Google. However, that doesn’t explain why Mike’s
> is still working.
>
> Thank you!
>
> John Patten
> SUSD
>

> > On May 20, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > OK, so try it with 6.8.10.  I just ran the latest version with 6.7.2,
> > though.  My every-day instance runs in 6.7.8
> >
> > On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Roger Eller <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Monte said a few emails back that 6.8.10 is the oldest version that
> works
> >> with the external.
> >>
> >> ~Roger
> >>
> >> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Mike Kerner <
> [hidden email]>

> Try
> >>

> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >   and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

JOHN PATTEN-2
Mike,

I never remember ever getting a request for Keychain access from LiveCode. I may have a long time ago, and just don’t remember though.

Is there a way to check and see if LiveCode has access to the Keychain? When I look in the KeyChain app I don’t see any references for LiveCode.

Thanks!

John Patten
SUSD

> On May 20, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just tried 6.7.8 mac with merggoogle 1.0.12 test stack, and it works
> fine.  if I go up to 7.1.4 Stable or 8.0.1 rc1 I get the answer dialogs of
> death.
>
> Next question:  Did you ever ban LC from getting access to your keychain?
> At some time, you probably got a dialog asking for access to it.
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have tried the demo stack in multiple versions of Livecode, including
>> 6.7.8, and I get the same result. An answer dialog appears when the stack
>> launches: https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88> <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>>
>>
>> I even copied the mergGoogle.lcext extension into the Extensions folder
>> identified in the Preferences.
>>
>> There must be something else that is not quite right now with published
>> extension, or a change at Google. However, that doesn’t explain why Mike’s
>> is still working.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> John Patten
>> SUSD
>>

>>> On May 20, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, so try it with 6.8.10.  I just ran the latest version with 6.7.2,
>>> though.  My every-day instance runs in 6.7.8
>>>
>>> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Roger Eller <
>> [hidden email]>

>> works

>> [hidden email]>

>> Try
>>>>

>>> --
>>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>>  and did a little diving.
>>> And God said, "This is good."

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
Go into Keychain Access, then do a search for "mergGoogle".

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:42 PM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I never remember ever getting a request for Keychain access from LiveCode.
> I may have a long time ago, and just don’t remember though.
>
> Is there a way to check and see if LiveCode has access to the Keychain?
> When I look in the KeyChain app I don’t see any references for LiveCode.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John Patten
> SUSD
>
> > On May 20, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I just tried 6.7.8 mac with merggoogle 1.0.12 test stack, and it works
> > fine.  if I go up to 7.1.4 Stable or 8.0.1 rc1 I get the answer dialogs
> of
> > death.
> >
> > Next question:  Did you ever ban LC from getting access to your keychain?
> > At some time, you probably got a dialog asking for access to it.
> >
> > On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email] <mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I have tried the demo stack in multiple versions of Livecode, including
> >> 6.7.8, and I get the same result. An answer dialog appears when the
> stack
> >> launches: https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88> <
> https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>>
> >>
> >> I even copied the mergGoogle.lcext extension into the Extensions folder
> >> identified in the Preferences.
> >>
> >> There must be something else that is not quite right now with published
> >> extension, or a change at Google. However, that doesn’t explain why
> Mike’s
> >> is still working.
> >>
> >> Thank you!
> >>
> >> John Patten
> >> SUSD

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> works

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> Try

> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >   and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Mike Kerner
And I'm just guessing at things to try, so I don't even now if it's
relevant, since everything works for me.  The next thing to do is to
contact Monte, I suppose.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Go into Keychain Access, then do a search for "mergGoogle".
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:42 PM, JOHN PATTEN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I never remember ever getting a request for Keychain access from
>> LiveCode. I may have a long time ago, and just don’t remember though.
>>
>> Is there a way to check and see if LiveCode has access to the Keychain?
>> When I look in the KeyChain app I don’t see any references for LiveCode.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> John Patten
>> SUSD
>>
>> > On May 20, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I just tried 6.7.8 mac with merggoogle 1.0.12 test stack, and it works
>> > fine.  if I go up to 7.1.4 Stable or 8.0.1 rc1 I get the answer dialogs
>> of
>> > death.
>> >
>> > Next question:  Did you ever ban LC from getting access to your
>> keychain?
>> > At some time, you probably got a dialog asking for access to it.

>> stack
>> https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88 <https://flic.kr/p/Hkzs88>>

>> Mike’s

>> > --
>> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>> >   and did a little diving.
>> > And God said, "This is good."

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Using the MergGoogle with Google Sheets

Roger Eller
Let's focus the energy of our group consciousness, and see if we can wake
him up to check email.  :)