Vector graphics, again

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I have found that Livecode is really fantastic for generating families
of images
such as domino sets, which can be either imported from a group as images
or exported as PNG images.

However, rotating those images results in all the "unfortunateness"
involved in
rotating any image in Livecode that is not an SVG widget.

Is there a way in which one can generate an image from a group and
import it as a vector graphic
and/or export it in a vector format, and/or make it into an SVG widget?

Re: Vector graphics, again

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
You could keep it as a vector graphic in a browser widget, rotate it in the browser, then export it from the browser widget as an image for LC to use.

I know - it is an overkill solution, and it might be too slow if the dominoes are moving around quickly, but if not, it would work.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 5:22 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have found that Livecode is really fantastic for generating families of images
> such as domino sets, which can be either imported from a group as images
> or exported as PNG images.
>
> However, rotating those images results in all the "unfortunateness" involved in
> rotating any image in Livecode that is not an SVG widget.
>
> Is there a way in which one can generate an image from a group and import it as a vector graphic
> and/or export it in a vector format, and/or make it into an SVG widget?
>
> Richmond.

Re: Vector graphics, again

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Jonathan,
Richmond wants to convert his bitmaps to SVG,
because he has no SVG version.

Re: Vector graphics, again

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I was just suggesting an alternative solution.

Raster to vector conversions are clunky, but there are a few online services that do this.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 5:25 PM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jonathan,
> Richmond wants to convert his bitmaps to SVG,
> because he has no SVG version.

Re: Vector graphics, again

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Not really . . . .

What Richmond wants to do is as follows:

Generate vector graphics from groups of images and/or fields in Livecode
in such
  a way thst they can be handled exactly in the same way as the SVG
widget (which
Richmond is in love with).

R.

On 08/09/17 00:25, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> Jonathan,
> Richmond wants to convert his bitmaps to SVG,
> because he has no SVG version.

Re: Vector graphics, again

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I looked into this a few years ago for a project - just converting images into SVG. It is a very difficult problem to do in LC, because the application has to trace out lines and convert them to vectors. This is not too bad for very simple black and white images. When the images involve complex shapes and lots of colors, the resulting SVG files can be very large, with many many paths.

So, you could take a snapshot of a group to get an image file, then submit the image file to one of the online raster-to-vector converters. The resulting SVG may or may not be adequate, and may or may not work well in LC, but seems worth trying.

Sent from my iPhone