Video files not showing on my PC (LiveCode 5.5)

Video files not showing on my PC (LiveCode 5.5)

Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode
Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

LiveCode 5.5 (I know, I can't afford the updates - Am I the only one ?)
Sierra 10.12.3

On my Mac, I have successfully run Audio and Video functions
(Quicktime)  MP3 for Audio, MP4/Mov for Video, for some years.

Recently moving the app to PC (Windows 7, with Quicktime loaded),
all my Audio files work fine, and MOST of the videos work fine also.
But a few Video files play the audio but DO NOT SHOW the Video
(screen is blank).

I notice that the files which do not run correctly are quite big, sometimes
MP4, sometimes Mov (no obvious reasons). Otherwise - Mystery !!

My scripts have run a thousand times on Mac, but just the strange
glitches (with larger Video files MP4/Mov PERHAPS ?) on the PC.

I can send scripts if necessary.

Any ideas ? - Any 5.5 users still out there, somewhere ...... ?

-Francis

Subsiduary question : I bought 5.5 Mac (years ago) and I am happy with it.
Am I authorised to load the 5.5 PC version with the same Password ? It
could help me to isolate this problem ………

Long Live LiveCode

-Francis

Re: Video files not showing on my PC (LiveCode 5.5)

Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode
Hi Francis,

I am using LiveCode 5.5 (Mac, Sierra 10.12.6) mainly. But it cannot play some mp4 files. The video files do not show video frames. QuickTime 7 player cannot play the problem files, but QuickTime 10 player can. I think some new video files (mp4) are not a same old format of video. I have to convert the problem mp4 file to a new mp4 file. I use a screen recording & editing application “ScreenFlow (Mac)” for the video conversion. I like ScreenFlow, but you may find other conversion applications.

Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
http://kenjikojima.com

> On Aug 26, 2017, at 8:19 AM, Francis Nugent Dixon via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> LiveCode 5.5 (I know, I can't afford the updates - Am I the only one ?)
> Sierra 10.12.3
>
> On my Mac, I have successfully run Audio and Video functions
> (Quicktime)  MP3 for Audio, MP4/Mov for Video, for some years.
>
> Recently moving the app to PC (Windows 7, with Quicktime loaded),
> all my Audio files work fine, and MOST of the videos work fine also.
> But a few Video files play the audio but DO NOT SHOW the Video
> (screen is blank).
>
> I notice that the files which do not run correctly are quite big, sometimes
> MP4, sometimes Mov (no obvious reasons). Otherwise - Mystery !!
>
> My scripts have run a thousand times on Mac, but just the strange
> glitches (with larger Video files MP4/Mov PERHAPS ?) on the PC.
>
> I can send scripts if necessary.
>
> Any ideas ? - Any 5.5 users still out there, somewhere ...... ?
>
> -Francis
>
> Subsiduary question : I bought 5.5 Mac (years ago) and I am happy with it.
> Am I authorised to load the 5.5 PC version with the same Password ? It
> could help me to isolate this problem ………
>
> Long Live LiveCode
>
> -Francis

Re: Video files not showing on my PC (LiveCode 5.5)

Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode
Hi Francis,

i think it depends which version of Mediaplayer is installed on the Windows PC, see an overview which file format is support by which version of Mediaplayer here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/316992/file-types-supported-by-windows-media-player <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/316992/file-types-supported-by-windows-media-player>

Regarding your question about using LC 5.5  on Win: Just try it. If i remember right, i was able to use my LC 5.5 on Win and Mac.

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌wirmachen.software <http://wirmachen.software/>‌

> Am 26.08.2017 um 14:19 schrieb Francis Nugent Dixon via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> LiveCode 5.5 (I know, I can't afford the updates - Am I the only one ?)
> Sierra 10.12.3
>
> On my Mac, I have successfully run Audio and Video functions
> (Quicktime)  MP3 for Audio, MP4/Mov for Video, for some years.
>
> Recently moving the app to PC (Windows 7, with Quicktime loaded),
> all my Audio files work fine, and MOST of the videos work fine also.
> But a few Video files play the audio but DO NOT SHOW the Video
> (screen is blank).
>
> I notice that the files which do not run correctly are quite big, sometimes
> MP4, sometimes Mov (no obvious reasons). Otherwise - Mystery !!
>
> My scripts have run a thousand times on Mac, but just the strange
> glitches (with larger Video files MP4/Mov PERHAPS ?) on the PC.
>
> I can send scripts if necessary.
>
> Any ideas ? - Any 5.5 users still out there, somewhere ...... ?
>
> -Francis
>
> Subsiduary question : I bought 5.5 Mac (years ago) and I am happy with it.
> Am I authorised to load the 5.5 PC version with the same Password ? It
> could help me to isolate this problem ………
>
> Long Live LiveCode
>
> -Francis

AW: Video files not showing on my PC (LiveCode 5.5)

Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode
Hi Francis,

I don't think it is a matter of LiveCode but of the used Video Codecs/Filters. Could it be, that some videos are encoded with different codecs and they are not installed on the windows machine?

Tiemo