Virtual Appliances

Richmond Mathewson-2
[Yeah, I know, it sounds a bit like the 'Max-Gentleman' post; sorry]

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/all

of course, these virtual appliances are open-source, and as such, free.

I wonder what are the chances of seeing some sort of version of Livecode
"in the cloud" in a way that end-users could use it for authoring stacks
via their web-browser  and/or  via something like these?

Re: Virtual Appliances

Andrew Kluthe
I use turnkey linux appliances for a lot of things, but I guess I don't follow what you are talking about in the later half of your post.

Re: Virtual Appliances

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 08/03/2011 12:42 AM, Andrew Kluthe wrote:
> I use turnkey linux appliances for a lot of things, but I guess I don't
> follow what you are talking about in the later half of your post.

What I meant was a web-based version of Livecode rather like Sumo Paint;

http://www.sumopaint.com/home/

or, an interface (independent of a browser) that contacted an online app,
that let end-users program in Livecode without having to have Livecode
reside
on their physical PC.

Re: Virtual Appliances

Richmond Mathewson-2
Wow; Sumo Paint seems to be Flash based:

http://www.sumopaint.com/home/

directly relevant to the much vaunted "death of Flash".

Why do I have a feeling that the Sumo people are not going to "reinvent
the wheel" just to remove a dependency on Flash?

Re: Virtual Appliances

Stephen Barncard-4
Richmond is here to remind us how ridiculous and contrary the computer world
is; and to provide comic relief between heated cheese discussions. Hmm...
heated cheese...

On 2 August 2011 14:42, Andrew Kluthe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use turnkey linux appliances for a lot of things, but I guess I don't
> follow what you are talking about in the later half of your post.

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: Virtual Appliances

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 08/03/2011 12:51 AM, stephen barncard wrote:
> Richmond is here to remind us how ridiculous and contrary the computer world
> is; and to provide comic relief between heated cheese discussions. Hmm...
> heated cheese...

Got me in one . . .  :)

> On 2 August 2011 14:42, Andrew Kluthe<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I use turnkey linux appliances for a lot of things, but I guess I don't
>> follow what you are talking about in the later half of your post.

Re: Virtual Appliances

slylabs13
And let's not forget there may have been some imbibing of refreshing beverages going on at some point today.

Bob

On Aug 2, 2011, at 2:51 PM, stephen barncard wrote:

> Richmond is here to remind us how ridiculous and contrary the computer world
> is; and to provide comic relief between heated cheese discussions. Hmm...
> heated cheese...
>
> On 2 August 2011 14:42, Andrew Kluthe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use turnkey linux appliances for a lot of things, but I guess I don't
>> follow what you are talking about in the later half of your post.

> Stephen Barncard
> San Francisco Ca. USA
>
> more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: Virtual Appliances

Andrew Kluthe
Well, I guess I lied when I said I didn't understand the second part. I did understand it. What I didn't understand was how this relates to Turnkey linux Virtual Appliances.

They are good for things like a fast redmine setup, or an XMPP server, or a lampstack.

How does that technology you spoke about fit in to these appliances?

Re: Virtual Appliances

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 08/03/2011 01:55 AM, Andrew Kluthe wrote:
> Well, I guess I lied when I said I didn't understand the second part. I did
> understand it. What I didn't understand was how this relates to Turnkey
> linux Virtual Appliances.

It doesn't really; but TLVAs put me in mind of stuuf such as Sumo Paint,
and then my mind wandered onto the idea of some sort of online front-end
to some sort of Livecode to generate revlets for embedding in web-pages
. . .

. . . stream of consciousness, old boy!

> They are good for things like a fast redmine setup, or an XMPP server, or a
> lampstack.
>
> How does that technology you spoke about fit in to these appliances?

Re: Virtual Appliances

Andrew Kluthe
Oh, ok then! Carry on! :)