WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
WebP is a new image format for the web, see
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp

The stack is a helper for using the BSD-licensed converter software, so
you can use webp images in your stacks.

The stack contains the binaries for 64bit Mac/Win/linux. You can copy them
to your own stack.
For 32bit machines see the instructions of the link below.

The WebP-Tool runs, using LC 8/9, on Mac/Win/linux.

For more info please read
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=185384#p185384

[Download]
Currently I cannot upload to "SampleStacks/livecodeshare".
So please use from the message box
go stack url ("http://hyperhh.de/html/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")
or download http://hyperhh.de/html/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode.zip

When using go stack url, as a first action please SAVE the stack, we need
the stack path for writing out helpers and creating folders for conversion.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Sorry, the download links had a wrong path. Here are correct ones.

[Download] Currently I cannot upload to "SampleStacks/livecodeshare".
So please use from the message box
(EU) go stack url ("http://hyperhh.de/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")
(US) go stack url ("http://hh.on-rev.com/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")
or download
(EU) http://hyperhh.de/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode.zip
(US) http://hh.on-rev.com/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode.zip

When using go stack url, as a first action please SAVE the stack, we need
the stack path for writing out helpers and creating folders for conversion.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Nice, thank you. I noticed it. But they are not used very much yet. Also for jpeg are some extra formats.

hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> schreef op 18 november 2019 16:19:04 CET:

>Sorry, the download links had a wrong path. Here are correct ones.
>
>[Download] Currently I cannot upload to "SampleStacks/livecodeshare".
>So please use from the message box
>(EU) go stack url ("http://hyperhh.de/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")
>(US) go stack url
>("http://hh.on-rev.com/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")
>or download
>(EU) http://hyperhh.de/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode.zip
>(US) http://hh.on-rev.com/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode.zip
>
>When using go stack url, as a first action please SAVE the stack, we
>need
>the stack path for writing out helpers and creating folders for
>conversion.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
> Jjs wrote; Nice, thank you. I noticed it. But they are not used very
> much yet. Also for jpeg are some extra formats.

TMHO it doesn't really matter what's used in the web. The purpose of
webP is, if you have a lot of images/large images, that these load
much faster from a server or use less size in your stack/standalone.

WebP-Tool is simply a bridge to the future LC version that can read
in and write out webP images. Especially:

    set the paintcompression to WEBP

will be then implemented. Hopefully rather sooner than later.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
YEs indeed.

I thought i read somewhere that Joomla also wanted (or is already) to
support it as cms.

great!

Op 18-11-2019 om 17:29 schreef hh via use-livecode:

>> Jjs wrote; Nice, thank you. I noticed it. But they are not used very
>> much yet. Also for jpeg are some extra formats.
> TMHO it doesn't really matter what's used in the web. The purpose of
> webP is, if you have a lot of images/large images, that these load
> much faster from a server or use less size in your stack/standalone.
>
> WebP-Tool is simply a bridge to the future LC version that can read
> in and write out webP images. Especially:
>
>      set the paintcompression to WEBP
>
> will be then implemented. Hopefully rather sooner than later.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
We really appreciate you staying on the "bleeding" edge ahead of us, Herman!
 Tried the stack, works amazing well.  A 1.2MB img →129K (at 1024 px wide) Look fabulous in Google Chrome!

" so you can use webp images in your stacks…"
that is using the  pngOUT images in our stacks? Right?

Disclaimer: probably not doable: I guess to use on Mobile app we need to include binary code in our package and they unpack the WebP image before show them as PNG. Obviously would be get the user in trouble by unpacking too many large PNG (app could take up enormous space on the phone)..

Brahmanathaswami
================
Sorry, the download links had a wrong path. Here are correct ones.

[Download] Currently I cannot upload to "SampleStacks/livecodeshare".
So please use from the message box
(EU) go stack url ("http://hyperhh.de/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")
(US) go stack url ("http://hh.on-rev.com/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")
or download
(EU) http://hyperhh.de/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode.zip
(US) http://hh.on-rev.com/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode.zip

When using go stack url, as a first action please SAVE the stack, we need
the stack path for writing out helpers and creating folders for conversion.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
i'm getting these errors:

''C:' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

and

if i import nothing and just choose an image from the dropdown then the
following error occurs:

line 91 of card 1002:

*put h0*fw/fh into w0*

Numeric divide by zero

Op 23-11-2019 om 02:24 schreef Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode:
>   go stack url ("http://hyperhh.de/xstacks/webP-Tool_v103.livecode")

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
@BR.
There is currently not yet support for mobile (precompiled binaries).
But Android 4.0+ supports the format natively in its browser. See

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq#which_web_browsers_natively_support_webp

The way you could do it on desktop (and probably as soon as supported on mobile):

You have only webp resources of the images (as custom props) in the stack.
The binary (could also be installed into temporary folder) converts a webp image
of the stack as soon as it is called to png (for display), on the fly.
In my stack the needed time for that procedure is displayed above the image.
After display you can delete the png -- if converting was fast enough...

@JJS.
This is most probably the reason for that:
The stack contains only the binaries for 64bit machines.
I tested successfully on a 64bit Win10 machine.

See the instructions for using the stack on 32bit machines
(this works here, I tested on a 32bit Win7 machine):

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=185384#p185384

Hope this was the reason and it's fine now.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Ok sorry, i forgot to mention. I'm also on win10-64bit.

hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> schreef op 23 november 2019 12:43:34 CET:

>@BR.
>There is currently not yet support for mobile (precompiled binaries).
>But Android 4.0+ supports the format natively in its browser. See
>
>https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq#which_web_browsers_natively_support_webp
>
>The way you could do it on desktop (and probably as soon as supported
>on mobile):
>
>You have only webp resources of the images (as custom props) in the
>stack.
>The binary (could also be installed into temporary folder) converts a
>webp image
>of the stack as soon as it is called to png (for display), on the fly.
>In my stack the needed time for that procedure is displayed above the
>image.
>After display you can delete the png -- if converting was fast
>enough...
>
>@JJS.
>This is most probably the reason for that:
>The stack contains only the binaries for 64bit machines.
>I tested successfully on a 64bit Win10 machine.
>
>See the instructions for using the stack on 32bit machines
>(this works here, I tested on a 32bit Win7 machine):
>
>http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=185384#p185384
>
>Hope this was the reason and it's fine now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
> JJS wrote:
> Ok sorry, i forgot to mention. I'm also on win10-64bit.

Did you save the stack to a before using it? If not, it has no path for the
binaries, which will be installed in folder "WIN" of your stack's folder...

If so, I can't really help as it works here.

The stack is very basic LC Script. You could start with checking whether the
binaries are written out. The rest is simply using shell() with files written
to the temporary folder.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
YEs i did save it and the exe files are there.

It only happens when you open the stack and directly use the images
dropdown.

No worries, i'll see if i can figure it out.

thanks.

Op 24-11-2019 om 00:47 schreef hh via use-livecode:

>> JJS wrote:
>> Ok sorry, i forgot to mention. I'm also on win10-64bit.
> Did you save the stack to a before using it? If not, it has no path for the
> binaries, which will be installed in folder "WIN" of your stack's folder...
>
> If so, I can't really help as it works here.
>
> The stack is very basic LC Script. You could start with checking whether the
> binaries are written out. The rest is simply using shell() with files written
> to the temporary folder.

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Looking forward to support on mobile. There is the total RAM requirement that makes it hard to put the image into custom props of one stack. SivaSiva app holds  roughly 350 photos, that must delivered with the package. So a stack which had them as customs prop would "blow out the phone." So I am looking forward to

  1.  increase the density of those image. Too many have a subtle "pixalation" because I downsized them  to fit the package. Based on the eyesight and sense for image aesthetics, some users don't "mind" , they are interested on the "documentary" content of what they see. Other users react first to pixalation relatively other apps which have dense retina display images
  2.  have more images that fit the package -- last time I check it was 100MB, for iOS.
  3.  put them on them server and have a fast download time.

Looking at the forum post, if I understand it, these are all required,
"The stack webP-Tool contains and installs (if not available) the binaries for 64bit Mac/Win/linux. …The stack has included for mac/win/nux (all 64bit), cwebp (WebP encoder tool), dwebp (WebP decoder tool) and webinfo (WebP info tool)
Not included are vwebp (WebP file viewer), webpmux (WebP muxing tool), gif2webp (Tool for converting GIF images to WebP)."

And those libs "native" on iOS and Android? Of course we can still only show PNG in LC (for now)

Ha! once again, I may be chasing the moon….

BR

Re: WebP-Tool v103

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
"2.  have more images that fit the package -- last time I check it was
100MB, for iOS."

I assume you are referring to the maximum app size when downloading
from the App Store, in which case that limit has been removed with iOS
13.

https://ww.9to5mac.com/2019/05/31/apple-iphone-cellular-limit-increased/

--Andrew Bell