Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Ton Kuypers-3
What's going on, what am I missing here?

I've created a database frontend which needs to run on Windows, 2000
WIndows XP, Mac OS9 and Mac OS-X.
All run perfect except the Mac OS9 version...

I have a splash screen with some minor scripts in the preopenstack
and startup handlers. In the on opencard script I load some
parameters and call a script in another stack. (All basic SQL-
generating scripts are located in that stack, all in buttons, so it's
very easy to manage and edit them. I use properties in the stack to
pass parameters around and maintain parameters per session.)
The script I need to run is in the mouseup handler of button
"connectToDB".
I use the "revOpenDatabase" command with all parameters and the
result is a number, the connection ID.

When there is no error in connecting to the mySQL database, I
continue to the "Login" substack so a user can enter its username and
password.
Hitting the enter button should then set a property of the stack
with  the name & password and send a mousup to a second button, which
checks if the user may or may not login.

The first part (getting the connection ID works fine on OS9, but when
I'm in the second script, the "revOpenDatabases()" return empty and I
get the error "revdberr, invalid connection id", so nothing works :-((

When running it inside revolution on OS9 it's OK, so are all other
runtimes, just the OS9 runtime doesn't work.

Anybody any suggestions?

Regards,

Ton Kuypers

Re: Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Chris Sheffield
Hi Ton,

There are some weird issues with OS 9 standalones accessing a MySQL
database.  I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies, but it seems
to be with the standalone builder itself, which makes sense since
everything works fine in the IDE and not in the standalone.

I had a similar problem a few months back, and if I remember
correctly, what you have to do is manually select your inclusions and
under database support select MySQL *and* Valentina.  I know, it
sounds stupid, but it works.  For some strange reason, database
support on OS 9 is linked to the Valentina xcmd, and if you build
your standalone without it, nothing works.  So you end up with an
extra file in your distribution that wouldn't normally be necessary,
but right now it's the only way to make it work.  This has already
been reported (#2613 in Bugzilla), and will hopefully be fixed soon.

HTH,
Chris

On Aug 1, 2005, at 1:04 PM, Ton Kuypers wrote:

> What's going on, what am I missing here?
>
> I've created a database frontend which needs to run on Windows,
> 2000 WIndows XP, Mac OS9 and Mac OS-X.
> All run perfect except the Mac OS9 version...
>
> I have a splash screen with some minor scripts in the preopenstack
> and startup handlers. In the on opencard script I load some
> parameters and call a script in another stack. (All basic SQL-
> generating scripts are located in that stack, all in buttons, so
> it's very easy to manage and edit them. I use properties in the
> stack to pass parameters around and maintain parameters per session.)
> The script I need to run is in the mouseup handler of button
> "connectToDB".
> I use the "revOpenDatabase" command with all parameters and the
> result is a number, the connection ID.
>
> When there is no error in connecting to the mySQL database, I
> continue to the "Login" substack so a user can enter its username
> and password.
> Hitting the enter button should then set a property of the stack
> with  the name & password and send a mousup to a second button,
> which checks if the user may or may not login.
>
> The first part (getting the connection ID works fine on OS9, but
> when I'm in the second script, the "revOpenDatabases()" return
> empty and I get the error "revdberr, invalid connection id", so
> nothing works :-((
>
> When running it inside revolution on OS9 it's OK, so are all other
> runtimes, just the OS9 runtime doesn't work.
>
> Anybody any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ton Kuypers

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
http://www.readnaturally.com

Re: Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Ton Kuypers-3
Chris,

Already tried that, no luck on this side however :-(
The strange thing is, that when I open the database connection in the
same handler as the part where I extract the data from the database,
there is no problem!!!

This is totally weird, this means that I cannot use common handlers
and functions to access the database...

HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

On 1-aug-05, at 21:37, Chris Sheffield wrote:

> Hi Ton,
>
> There are some weird issues with OS 9 standalones accessing a MySQL
> database.  I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies, but it
> seems to be with the standalone builder itself, which makes sense
> since everything works fine in the IDE and not in the standalone.
>
> I had a similar problem a few months back, and if I remember
> correctly, what you have to do is manually select your inclusions
> and under database support select MySQL *and* Valentina.  I know,
> it sounds stupid, but it works.  For some strange reason, database
> support on OS 9 is linked to the Valentina xcmd, and if you build
> your standalone without it, nothing works.  So you end up with an
> extra file in your distribution that wouldn't normally be
> necessary, but right now it's the only way to make it work.  This
> has already been reported (#2613 in Bugzilla), and will hopefully
> be fixed soon.
>
> HTH,
> Chris

Re: Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Trevor DeVore
On Aug 1, 2005, at 12:04 PM, Ton Kuypers wrote:

> What's going on, what am I missing here?
>
> I've created a database frontend which needs to run on Windows,
> 2000 WIndows XP, Mac OS9 and Mac OS-X.
> All run perfect except the Mac OS9 version...

I haven't used MySQL with OS 9 but it is probably an external issue.

When you build the standalone is the MySQL Library PPC in the
standalone folder?

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia

Re: Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Ton Kuypers-3
Yep, it is there.. And so is the Valentia external.
I've even tried replacing the mySQL external from 2.6 by the one
supplied with version 2.5 or 2.2... same error, no result :(

On 1-aug-05, at 22:20, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2005, at 12:04 PM, Ton Kuypers wrote:
>

>> What's going on, what am I missing here?
>>
>> I've created a database frontend which needs to run on Windows,
>> 2000 WIndows XP, Mac OS9 and Mac OS-X.
>> All run perfect except the Mac OS9 version...
>>

> I haven't used MySQL with OS 9 but it is probably an external issue.
>
> When you build the standalone is the MySQL Library PPC in the
> standalone folder?
>

> --
> Trevor DeVore
> Blue Mango Multimedia

Re: Weird OS9 runtime problem->losing database connection

Sarah Reichelt
Is the MySQL external in use? What happens if you do something like
"answer the externals of this stack"? Maybe the external is allocated
to a different stack and that stack needs to be put into the message
path with "start using". Or do you need to explicitly set the
externals of your mainStack?

No solution, but some ideas for you to try,
Sarah