What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Hi all.

I want to prevent going to a modal login stack when I save as standalone, or at least not go modally. Right now I have to change the login stack to TopLevel each and every time I save as standalone and it opens. Is there some environment variable that gets set when this is happening?

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
> Hi all.
>
> I want to prevent going to a modal login stack when I save as standalone, or at least not go modally. Right now I have to change the login stack to TopLevel each and every time I save as standalone and it opens. Is there some environment variable that gets set when this is happening?

Sorry, I'm having trouble parsing that. Can you explain what you want to
happen and what's happening instead? Is this an IDE problem or a problem
with your stack?

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thanks Mark.

I have a mainstack called Forms Generator. In the openStack handler in the card script of that stack, I open modally another substack called Login. This is so that no one can access the app without logging in first.

When I Save As Standalone, this Login stack opens (why I do not know, I assume the Standalone Builder is "walking" through the scripts) and when it does, the Standalone Builder stops dead in it's tracks waiting for the Login (opened modally if you recall) is dismissed.

Some months ago, Jacque I believe, told me I can ctrl-cmd-shift-right-click the stack and change the stack mode to Top Level, which effectively releases the deadlock, and the Standalone Builder proceeds as normal.

I attempted to trap the savingStandalone message, setting a global, then having my code check that global to determine how to open the Login stack (modally or normally) but that did not work. Either the message hasn't been sent at that point, or else something else in the Save As Standalone process is opening that stack AS MODAL for reasons I cannot fathom.

I verified the Float Above option was not checked for that stack. It is a plain ordinary substack, but when my code opens it, it does so modally for reasons I explained earlier. No other substack seems to open. I was hoping to check for some environment global variable that gets set as soon as the Standalone Builder gets called so I can modify my code to prevent opening the Login stack modally during this process.

I reported this behavior a whaaay back. It was sometime during v7 (I think don't quote me) that this behavior began. Prior to that Standalone Building was never an issue. At the same time, I also noted that I could no longer build for two platforms at once because the builder would complain that there were stacks in memory with the same name (presumably because the builder no longer closed the copies of the stacks it created for the standalones). That problem ALSO still persists.

Sending a sample stack is difficult because my stack is dependent on a number of things to function, and it is quite large. Attempts to send this in the past have met with size limits, and iCloud and dropbox links did not seem to work for some reason. (May have timed out).

Bob S

On 01/25/2018 08:17 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Mark.
>
> I have a mainstack called Forms Generator. In the openStack handler in the card script of that stack, I open modally another substack called Login. This is so that no one can access the app without logging in first.
>
> When I Save As Standalone, this Login stack opens (why I do not know, I assume the Standalone Builder is "walking" through the scripts) and when it does, the Standalone Builder stops dead in it's tracks waiting for the Login (opened modally if you recall) is dismissed.

Ah! This sounds familiar.
Do you have an openStack or preOpenStack handler in your login stack
script? Those should go into the script of the first card instead.
It sounds like your login stack is receiving an initialization message
from the Standalone Builder.

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I did. I moved them to the card script. Issue persists. And it doesn't explain why it's opening modally, which can only happen if my openStack handler in the card script of the MAINSTACK is executing. IMHO the standalone builder should not be executing any scripts, unless by doing so it finds all the dependencies, but if that is the case, that is a helluva way to go about it.

The MainStack does not have preOpenStack or openStack handlers in it's stack script.

Bob S

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 08:38 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mark.
>> I have a mainstack called Forms Generator. In the openStack handler in the card script of that stack, I open modally another substack called Login. This is so that no one can access the app without logging in first.
>> When I Save As Standalone, this Login stack opens (why I do not know, I assume the Standalone Builder is "walking" through the scripts) and when it does, the Standalone Builder stops dead in it's tracks waiting for the Login (opened modally if you recall) is dismissed.
>
> Ah! This sounds familiar.
> Do you have an openStack or preOpenStack handler in your login stack script? Those should go into the script of the first card instead.
> It sounds like your login stack is receiving an initialization message from the Standalone Builder.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
You could try it a different way. Save/keep the login stack as toplevel
all the time, then in the handler that opens the login stack:

if the environment is not "development" then modal "login"
else go stack "login"

On 01/25/2018 01:57 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> You could try it a different way. Save/keep the login stack as toplevel
> all the time, then in the handler that opens the login stack:
>
> if the environment is not "development" then modal "login"
> else go stack "login"

I was just about to post something similar. My take on this (if I can
paraphrase Bob here) (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong) is
that Bob wants the login stack to open modally first when the standalone
is launched. And the problem is that the standalone builder is saving
the stack and relaunching it, which opens the login stack. So yeah, I'd
say check the environment before launching the stack. I don't think the
else clause is necessary, but otherwise that should do the trick.

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Trouble is I DO want to open the login stack modally in development, because it pulls setup information for each user from the Login database, such as custom settings (like local file paths, recent customers list, access level etc). The only time I do NOT want to open that stack is when I am saving as standalone.

It's not killing me to set the stack mode to top level each time, it's just irritating.

Bob S

On 1/25/18 5:26 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 01/25/2018 01:57 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>> You could try it a different way. Save/keep the login stack as
>> toplevel all the time, then in the handler that opens the login stack:
>>
>> if the environment is not "development" then modal "login"
>> else go stack "login"
>
> I was just about to post something similar. My take on this (if I can
> paraphrase Bob here) (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong) is
> that Bob wants the login stack to open modally first when the standalone
> is launched. And the problem is that the standalone builder is saving
> the stack and relaunching it, which opens the login stack. So yeah, I'd
> say check the environment before launching the stack. I don't think the
> else clause is necessary, but otherwise that should do the trick.

I figured the stack wouldn't open in the IDE if he didn't issue a "go",
but that assumes login is a substack.

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Bob,

Is the problem that at app-login time, the app doesn't know whether its
opening was caused by the standalone builder or by the user? If so,
maybe something this would work:

on standaloneSaved
     put true into url (specialFolderPath("temp") & "/saved"
end standaloneSaved

on appLogin -- in card script of login stack
     if there is a file ( specialFolderPath("temp") & "/saved" ) then
         delete file ( specialFolderPath("temp") & "/saved" )
     else
         modal the owner of me -- or whatever mode you want
     end if
end appLogin

It's crude but would probably work. Of course it's always possible I'm
solving the wrong problem. :-)

Phil Davis

> Trouble is I DO want to open the login stack modally in development, because it pulls setup information for each user from the Login database, such as custom settings (like local file paths, recent customers list, access level etc). The only time I do NOT want to open that stack is when I am saving as standalone.
>
> It's not killing me to set the stack mode to top level each time, it's just irritating.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jan 25, 2018, at 13:57 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You could try it a different way. Save/keep the login stack as toplevel all the time, then in the handler that opens the login stack:
>>
>> if the environment is not "development" then modal "login"
>> else go stack "login"

Phil Davis

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
A couple more ideas:

in the Stack script…

on savingStandalone
   processLogin "false"
   pass savingStandalone
end savingStandalone

command processLogin pLogin
   if pLogin = "false" then exit processLogin
   modal stack "Login"
end processLogin

I tested this, but I’m not 100% sure it would be successful in your case, it seemed to work OK here.

Or simply holding the alt key down while making the standalone with:

if not the altKey is down then modal stack “login” # within the appropriate handler of course

I tried this on a simple stack and the alt key doesn’t seem to interfere with the build process, but you would need to test with your setup.

Paul

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 3:31 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Trouble is I DO want to open the login stack modally in development, because it pulls setup information for each user from the Login database, such as custom settings (like local file paths, recent customers list, access level etc). The only time I do NOT want to open that stack is when I am saving as standalone.
>
> It's not killing me to set the stack mode to top level each time, it's just irritating.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jan 25, 2018, at 13:57 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You could try it a different way. Save/keep the login stack as toplevel all the time, then in the handler that opens the login stack:
>>
>> if the environment is not "development" then modal "login"
>> else go stack "login"

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Regardless of the stack mode, why wouldn't it retrieve info? As the
developer you'd know not to click elsewhere until the data is there, right?

On January 25, 2018 5:33:27 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trouble is I DO want to open the login stack modally in development,
> because it pulls setup information for each user from the Login database,
> such as custom settings (like local file paths, recent customers list,
> access level etc). The only time I do NOT want to open that stack is when I
> am saving as standalone.
>
> It's not killing me to set the stack mode to top level each time, it's just
> irritating.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jan 25, 2018, at 13:57 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You could try it a different way. Save/keep the login stack as toplevel all
>> the time, then in the handler that opens the login stack:
>>
>> if the environment is not "development" then modal "login"
>> else go stack "login"

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
> Trouble is I DO want to open the login stack modally in development, because it pulls setup information for each user from the Login database, such as custom settings (like local file paths, recent customers list, access level etc). The only time I do NOT want to open that stack is when I am saving as standalone.
>
> It's not killing me to set the stack mode to top level each time, it's just irritating.

Heretical idea:

Put a 'Cancel' button on the modal stack.
If it's clicked, toplevel the stack and move on.
Only make the button visible if in development mode.

on preOpenStack
   if the environment is "development" then
     show button 'btnCancel'
   else
     hide button 'btnCancel'
   end if
end preOpenStack

-- in the button itself
on mouseUp
   toplevel this stack

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thanks Phil. It's actually the opposite. At App Builder time, the login stack does not know that the app builder was what opened it, or rather called the script that opens it as a modal window.

Bob S

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 16:13 , Phil Davis via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob,
>
> Is the problem that at app-login time, the app doesn't know whether its opening was caused by the standalone builder or by the user? If so, maybe something this would work:

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Tried this. I used savingStandalone to set a global that I check when opening the Login Stack. It seems the message does not get sent until the standalone *actually* gets around to saving it. The Login stack gets opened while the standalone builder is in the process of gathering information about the application, but before the actual save takes place.

I am not sure what changed in the Standalone Builder process when we went from v6 to v7, but as I said it never had this issue before that. (It might have been around v8 come to think of it. I didn't stick around much in v7).

Bob S

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 16:17 , Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A couple more ideas:
>
> in the Stack script…
>
> on savingStandalone
>   processLogin "false"
>   pass savingStandalone
> end savingStandalone

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I assume because it's opened modally, and the builder obviously needs to open another stack but can't because the modal stack is blocking the progress of the script that told my app to open it. (I know it's confisung but that is how modality works I guess).

Bob S

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 16:24 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Regardless of the stack mode, why wouldn't it retrieve info? As the developer you'd know not to click elsewhere until the data is there, right?

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Oh how the pure have fallen! ;-) That would work but it's soooo dirty!

Bob S

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 16:28 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Heretical idea:
>
> Put a 'Cancel' button on the modal stack.
> If it's clicked, toplevel the stack and move on.
> Only make the button visible if in development mode.

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
> Oh how the pure have fallen! ;-) That would work but it's soooo dirty!

True, but your stack isn't exactly living in HelloWorldLand.

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I might not have been clear. You'd keep the login stack a toplevel stack
all the time. In whatever handler actually launches that stack, you'd
check the environment and only open it as modal if the environment is
"standalone".

During development the login stack is toplevel. It should be able to
retrieve db info normally in that mode. The reason you want a modal is
so that users can't click away until the data loads, but as the
developer you'd know not to do that. You'd just wait for the data and
then proceed normally.

Seems like the simplest solution to me. A toplevel stack won't hinder
development or standalone builds, and it will show up as modal if the
environment is "standalone" (or if it's not "development", or whatever
other test you want to apply.)

> I assume because it's opened modally, and the builder obviously needs to open another stack but can't because the modal stack is blocking the progress of the script that told my app to open it. (I know it's confisung but that is how modality works I guess).
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jan 25, 2018, at 16:24 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Regardless of the stack mode, why wouldn't it retrieve info? As the developer you'd know not to click elsewhere until the data is there, right?

Re: What Env Variable set when saving standalone?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thanks Jacque. I'm sure I could do some kind of workaround like that, but I actually use the app while in dev mode, which is the main way I debug it, and need the login stack to open modally in that environment to get what I need to function. Maybe what I will do is check for a modifier key like the optionKey down to open modally in dev env.

Bob S