What Newbies Expect

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
I do a lot of LC advocacy.  Occasionally I hook a "whale"

This is a real case:  This older man has work in the software "specification" field for 25 years. He doesn't actually code, but has written books on the whole enterprise software development process. Now a consultant for the IRS in Washington. Team leaders review their development paths with him, he does analyses and makes suggestions. he has even written books at a very abtract level on software development process.

So he also teaches youth at a local temple and has helping me sort our some things for our own software and in the process I discovered how huge his brain and talents are he mocked up a UI for me for a module in our next app in PowerPoint and I realized I had a rather advanced UX guy on my team and he just didn’t know it.   So I asked him to download Livecode and "have some fun"  which he was willing to do… instead of, like many programmers, moving from years of working in code and moving up (I have one person on my team who say she has written and taught every language known to man… but "I don't do that any more")  He is interested in, after years of working a very high abstract level… having fun in a real sand box.

So… that's the back story.

I thought his first feedback on getting started was interesing:

" I have been working through the tutorials I am on livecode properties after going through the opening tutorial and not understanding much, then stepping through from the very beginning. I can see conceptually how to glue together the prototype you requested though I believe I need to go through the rest of the basic concepts before starting. I am still trying to figure out how to get object properties to inherit from objects at a higher level as to avoid an unmaintainable mass of stuff."

After me explaining the stack/card/group hierarchy (sent font and font size in the stack and all controls follow)  he explains:

"I sort of got the hierarchy concept however, I got tripped up with details such as distinguishing the deck from the first card. Also, it seemed as though I could put a button on at the deck level and all other buttons would inherit its properties – however my experiments didn’t work as expected.  It sounds from your explanation that things should work in the way I thought but I was probably doing something wrong."

POINT: I *think* what he is expecting what we might think of a "class" where you could have many buttons be a member of a class, change the class and all the buttons change.

So, how could this be made easy for a newbie?

Rev Zip Archive call backs?

Ray Horsley-2
Greetings,

I'm using some of the commands from the Revolution Zip library and the
revZipCloseArchive takes about 25 seconds to close up and save a 36 meg
file.  Does anybody know of any way to get call backs from this command
so I could display a progress graph?

Thanks.

Ray

Re: Rev Zip Archive call backs?

Paul Dupuis
On 5/19/2016 2:09 PM, Ray wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm using some of the commands from the Revolution Zip library and the
> revZipCloseArchive takes about 25 seconds to close up and save a 36
> meg file.  Does anybody know of any way to get call backs from this
> command so I could display a progress graph?

See revZipSetProgressCallback in the dictionary

Re: Rev Zip Archive call backs?

Ray Horsley-2
Now how did I miss that?

Thanks Paul!

On 5/19/2016 2:33 PM, Paul Dupuis wrote:

> On 5/19/2016 2:09 PM, Ray wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm using some of the commands from the Revolution Zip library and the
>> revZipCloseArchive takes about 25 seconds to close up and save a 36
>> meg file.  Does anybody know of any way to get call backs from this
>> command so I could display a progress graph?
>>
> See revZipSetProgressCallback in the dictionary

Re: What Newbies Expect

J. Landman Gay
On 5/19/2016 12:59 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> So, how could this be made easy for a newbie?

The Scripting Conference stacks were created years ago with the idea of
presenting LC to new users, and I think they do it more conceptually
than individual tutorials. The stacks are old now and many of the newer
features are not discussed, but for basic overall understanding of the
card/stack metaphor and how everything relates to it, they are still useful.

There was a short period where volunteers were asked to help update the
material but not much more than a few visual changes got done. Still,
all the ideas presented remain valid and I think the series is useful.
It assumes no previous expericence with LC and teaches the reader from
ground zero.

With those caveats in mind, you may want to point your volunteer to
these stacks, which are most useful when viewed in order:

<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptconf/scriptingconferences.html>

Re: What Newbies Expect

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
wow.. .thanks I will send him this link.  Still a lot of materials there.

What he needs for mock ups really would be just

1 Stack Structure
3 Controls
6 Groups and Backgrounds

BR

On 5/19/16, 9:21 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>With those caveats in mind, you may want to point your volunteer to
>these stacks, which are most useful when viewed in order:
>
><http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptconf/scriptingconferences.html>

Re: What Newbies Expect

Devin Asay

> On May 19, 2016, at 1:32 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> wow.. .thanks I will send him this link.  Still a lot of materials there.
>
> What he needs for mock ups really would be just
>
> 1 Stack Structure
> 3 Controls
> 6 Groups and Backgrounds

BR,

Do these help?

http://livecode.byu.edu/objects/objects.php

http://livecode.byu.edu/properties/properties.php

http://livecode.byu.edu/groups/Groups.php

Devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: What Newbies Expect

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > What he needs for mock ups really would be just
 >
 > 1 Stack Structure
 > 3 Controls
 > 6 Groups and Backgrounds

How much of the User Guide has he read?

Re: What Newbies Expect

Bob Sneidar-2
NO NO NO we don't want the IRS writing better software!!! ;-)

Bob S

On May 19, 2016, at 10:59 , Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I do a lot of LC advocacy.  Occasionally I hook a "whale"

This is a real case:  This older man has work in the software "specification" field for 25 years. He doesn't actually code, but has written books on the whole enterprise software development process. Now a consultant for the IRS in Washington.

How do you stop editing a data grid cell

Ray Horsley-2
So a cell is open for editing in a data grid.  Click outside of the
cell, it closes up (keeping the new data) and a 'closeFieldEditor'
message is sent to the data grid group.  Good.

The problem is user don't always click outside the cell to manually
close it up.  They may, for example, make a menu choice which opens a
palette.  If they do, the new data in the cell is lost.  Sending
'closeFieldEditor' does no good.

Ideas?

Sri

Re: What Newbies Expect

Sri
I am reading this thread on the web and I find two other threads (by Ray Horsley-2) entangled with this one. What is going on? Do others see this?

Regards,
Sri

Re: How do you stop editing a data grid cell

dunbarx
Hi.

If I leave a DG cell open for editing, it closes if I:

open, say, the Application Manager from the menuBar
select a menuItem from a comboBox
Select any tool from the tool palette.

What did you do, exactly, that kept the field open?

Craig Newman

Re: What Newbies Expect

Warren Samples
On 07/07/2016 07:35 AM, Sri wrote:
> I am reading this thread on the web and I find two other threads (by Ray
> Horsley-2) entangled with this one. What is going on? Do others see this?
>
> Regards,
> Sri

I see it in my current email client. There are several people on the
list wose habit is to start new topics by replying to a message in a
message. Whether or not this results in disorganization or other issues
is dependent on how (which email client or web interface) you view the
list. Many email clients sort lists by subject rather than by the
message ID in the headers, so not everybody is affected. I mentioned
this once not too long ago and it didn't generate much response in
general nor a positive response from those who do it.

Warren

Sri

Re: What Newbies Expect

Sri
Warren Samples wrote
There are several people on the
list wose habit is to start new topics by replying to a message in a
message.
Ah, that must be it!
I don't see it too often, but now and again a thread has different subject titles for different messages in it! As I start reading them without really looking at the subject line each time, a message makes no sense to me and I feel I have fallen down a rabbit hole!

Regards,
Sri

Datagrids Jump when Scrolled

Ray Horsley-2
I posted this last year and never got an answer.  Anybody want to take a
shot at it?  I'm now using 7.1.1 but the same problem persists.

In a data grid with the vScrollBar set to true, scrolling suddenly stops
working.  Any attempt to scroll through about 100 rows of data simply
jumps to the end and shows only the last row at the very top of the
grid.  It doesn't matter whether I use the arrows, drag the scroll tab
or click in the scroll bar.

Many thanks,

Ray Horsley
LinkIt! Software

Re: Datagrids Jump when Scrolled

Bob Sneidar-2
Hate to say it but the easy thing is to delete the datagrid along with it's template (it will as you) and recreate it from scratch. I've solved a multitude of Datagrid issues this way. Also, keep in mind that if there is something iffy with the data you are putting into the data grid that can cause issues.

Bob S

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 09:37 , Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I posted this last year and never got an answer.  Anybody want to take a shot at it?  I'm now using 7.1.1 but the same problem persists.

> In a data grid with the vScrollBar set to true, scrolling suddenly stops
> working.  Any attempt to scroll through about 100 rows of data simply
> jumps to the end and shows only the last row at the very top of the
> grid.  It doesn't matter whether I use the arrows, drag the scroll tab
> or click in the scroll bar.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ray Horsley
> LinkIt! Software

Re: Datagrids Jump when Scrolled

Ray Horsley-2
Bob - thanks for the idea and the ever so good feeling that I'm not the
only one who's ever run across this.  I tried re-populating the datagrid
with 500 lines of numbers and that didn't fix the problem so I don't
think the issue has to do with the data itself.

I'm currently working on a script which will recreate the datagrid from
scratch.  It's a lot of work, kind of sticky work, too, and it requires
a thorough understanding of groups, background behaviors, the place
command, row templates, and other stuff I've never really gotten into.

Seems like a bug if a datagrid can suddenly become unscrollable, and
thus useless.  If nobody else responds I'll report it.

On 11/4/2016 2:57 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> Hate to say it but the easy thing is to delete the datagrid along with it's template (it will as you) and recreate it from scratch. I've solved a multitude of Datagrid issues this way. Also, keep in mind that if there is something iffy with the data you are putting into the data grid that can cause issues.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Nov 4, 2016, at 09:37 , Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I posted this last year and never got an answer.  Anybody want to take a shot at it?  I'm now using 7.1.1 but the same problem persists.

>> In a data grid with the vScrollBar set to true, scrolling suddenly stops
>> working.  Any attempt to scroll through about 100 rows of data simply
>> jumps to the end and shows only the last row at the very top of the
>> grid.  It doesn't matter whether I use the arrows, drag the scroll tab
>> or click in the scroll bar.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Ray Horsley
>> LinkIt! Software

Re: Datagrids Jump when Scrolled

Bob Sneidar-2
I've had datagrids suddenly start C to D, and replacing them fixes the issue. Who can say?

Bob S

On Nov 4, 2016, at 12:02 , Ray <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Seems like a bug if a datagrid can suddenly become unscrollable, and thus useless.  If nobody else responds I'll report it.

Re: Datagrids Jump when Scrolled

Ray Horsley-2
What do you mean by "C to D"?

On 11/4/2016 3:04 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> I've had datagrids suddenly start C to D, and replacing them fixes the issue. Who can say?
>
> Bob S
>

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 12:02 , Ray <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Seems like a bug if a datagrid can suddenly become unscrollable, and thus useless.  If nobody else responds I'll report it.

Re: Datagrids Jump when Scrolled

Bob Sneidar-2
Crash to Desktop

Bob S