What gives with Sockets?

Thomas McCarthy

Hi, builiding a simple server and client. Simple stuff--open a port on the server and listen. Write to the server from the client.

I had it working at home (mac OS 8.6 and win98). then I brought it to work (OSX and NT4) no good. It failed both ways (mac as server/win client and vice versa) This shouldn't be rocket science.

I did something like this about 4 years ago in MetaCard and vaguely remember pulling out some hairs then, too.

could there be some Ethernet-hub thing going on? I think I've got the addresses all right. Argggghhhh!

tom

Re: What gives with Sockets?

Björnke von Gierke
What port are you using?
All ports below a certain threshold need root access on mac os x and
win nt upwards...

On Jun 15 2005, at 04:47, Thomas McCarthy wrote:

> Hi, builiding a simple server and client. Simple stuff--open a port on
> the server and listen. Write to the server from the client.
>
> I had it working at home (mac OS 8.6 and win98). then I brought it to
> work (OSX and NT4) no good. It failed both ways (mac as server/win
> client and vice versa) This shouldn't be rocket science.
>
> I did something like this about 4 years ago in MetaCard and vaguely
> remember pulling out some hairs then, too.
>
> could there be some Ethernet-hub thing going on? I think I've got the
> addresses all right. Argggghhhh!
>
> tom

http://contest.wecode.org
Now running: the first ChatRev coding contest!
sponsors:
Altuit
Andre Garzia
Karl Becker