What is 'Constellation' ?

Mathewson
Slow on the uptake as usual; was intrigued by "Jon's" -
'using Constellation' - what is 'Constellation' ???

Sincerely, Richmond
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html

Re: What is 'Constellation' ?

see3d
Just follow this link:

http://www.daniels-mara.com/products/

Dennis

On Jul 13, 2005, at 11:58 AM, Mathewson wrote:

> Slow on the uptake as usual; was intrigued by "Jon's" -
> 'using Constellation' - what is 'Constellation' ???
>
> Sincerely, Richmond
> See Mathewson's software at:
>
> http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html

Re: What is 'Constellation' ?

Jon-3
I wonder why it took 5 days for this message to reach me (via Rev)?!?

In any event, Constellation is a new editor and property editor that
Jerry Daniels is writing.  Check it out at

http://www.daniels-mara.com/products/constellation.htm

:)

Jon

Mathewson wrote:

>Slow on the uptake as usual; was intrigued by "Jon's" -
>'using Constellation' - what is 'Constellation' ???
>
>Sincerely, Richmond
>See Mathewson's software at:
>
>http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html

a maze-game stack?

Nicolas Cueto
Hello List,

My "space invaders" stack now done (oh!
how I wish "arcadeEngine" had come out
just a couple of weeks earlier!), it's
now onto the next game: a "maze game"
stack.

In this game, language students have a
birds-eye view of a 2D maze. They then
hear a sound (a phoneme), after which
they begin to manoeuver an object thru
the maze lanes and onto a goal-area.
Their movement thru the maze is of course
limited by the walls, i.e., if the object
they are moving contacts a wall then
movement is stopped with some type of
audible feedback. (Very behavioristic.)

My (admittedly vague) question, then, is
about how to make both the maze and the
"bumped into the wall" algorithm.

As for the maze itelf, the only options I
see are to "draw" the maze either with
(a) a graphics application and then import
it to the stack, or (b) RunRev's "create"
command. I'd prefer option (b), since it'd
allow a new maze to be created for each
new game.

And as for the "bumped" algorithm, I'm
hoping arcadeEngine's "collision" function
will make things relatively simple.

Many thanks in advance for the handholding
yet again on this one.

Cheers,
Nicolas Cueto

Re: a maze-game stack?

Malte Brill
Hi Nicolas,

 >(oh! how I wish "arcadeEngine" had come out
 >just a couple of weeks earlier!)

I had a hard time keeping me from posting that there´ll be something to
help soon. :-)

 >As for the maze itelf, the only options I
 >see are to "draw" the maze either with
 >(a) a graphics application and then import
 >it to the stack, or (b) RunRev's "create"
 >command. I'd prefer option (b), since it'd
 >allow a new maze to be created for each
 >new game.

Perfectly doable within Rev. You have many options there. You could
make up the maze either from graphic objects or draw a few wall pieces
in a graphics editor, import them and make up a map from buttons using
the pieces as an icon. How would you like to create the maze? Randomly
(a bit hard) or from a set of template mazes?

 >And as for the "bumped" algorithm, I'm
 >hoping arcadeEngine's "collision" function
 >will make things relatively simple.

A perfect job for ArcadeEngine.

If you need any assistance creating the game, we could discuss this in
the ArcadeEngine Forum

http://www.derbrill.com/arcadeengine/forum

or on list if the others do not mind.

Cheers,

Malte

Re: a maze-game stack?

Nicolas Cueto
Hello Malte,

Thanks for replying. And I'll take up your suggestion
of continuing this on the ArcadeEngine forums.

One more question here, though?

> How would you like to create the maze? Randomly
> (a bit hard) or from a set of template mazes?

Your "a bit hard" is surely "hair-tearing hard" for me,
so the templates route is likely quicker.

Yet, to follow up on your suggestion of assembling the
maze out of objects/buttons (like working with Lego?),
what do you mean by a "template"? A series of co-
ordinates? A pre-drawn maze?

Apologetically confused,
Nicolas Cueto

Re: a maze-game stack?

Judy Perry
Hair-tearing out confusing for me, too.  Is your bird's eye view cartesian
or orthoscopic?  If the former, it's probably doable.  I gave up on the
latter.  I'm a math weenie.

Judy

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> Hello Malte,
>
> Thanks for replying. And I'll take up your suggestion
> of continuing this on the ArcadeEngine forums.
>
> One more question here, though?
>
> > How would you like to create the maze? Randomly
> > (a bit hard) or from a set of template mazes?
>
> Your "a bit hard" is surely "hair-tearing hard" for me,
> so the templates route is likely quicker.

Re: a maze-game stack?

Dave Cragg

On 20 Jul 2005, at 03:19, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> Hello Malte,
>
> Thanks for replying. And I'll take up your suggestion
> of continuing this on the ArcadeEngine forums.
>
> One more question here, though?
>

>> How would you like to create the maze? Randomly
>> (a bit hard) or from a set of template mazes?
>>

> Your "a bit hard" is surely "hair-tearing hard" for me,
> so the templates route is likely quicker.
>
> Yet, to follow up on your suggestion of assembling the
> maze out of objects/buttons (like working with Lego?),
> what do you mean by a "template"? A series of co-
> ordinates? A pre-drawn maze?

Example:

You make your "maze area" out of a grid of buttons or rectangles. You
name the objects in some way so that its coordinates are
identifiable. For example, the top left button might be "b 1 1", the
one to the right "b 2 1", the one below that "b 2 2", and so on.

The path throuh the maze is created by setting the backcolor of the
appropriate buttons white (for example), while the other buttons are
colored black (for example). A template might conist of a series of
coordinates like this:

1 1,2 1,2 2,2 3,3 3,4 3,4 3,5 4, ..... etc,

You place the object to be moved (princess, mouse, shoe, whatever) on
the start square (b 1 1 in this case). Assuming navigation is done
with the arrow keys, when an arrow key is hit, you calculate the next
object the person wants to move to. Then check that this is a valid
place to move to. If so, move the princess, if not, make warning sound.

local sHere  ##tracks the current location

on arrowKey pWhere
   put sHere into tTempHere
   switch pWhere
    case up
       subtract 1 from word 3 of tTempHere
    break
     ## other cases here
   end switch
   if there is a button tTempHere and the backcolor of button
tTempHere is white then
     put tTempHere into sHere
     set the loc of image "princess" to the loc of button sHere
     ## make cute sound, perhaps
   else
     ##make nasty sound
   end if
end arrowKey

Is this the kind of thing you were thinkig of, Nicolas, or something
else entirely?

Cheers
Dave

Project for External Command

David Burgun
Hi,

I need to write an external command handler. I downloaded the
External Command SDK but I can't find a valid project file for Mac. I
am running Tiger and have CodeWarrior and X-Code.

Could anyone point me to a Project file? I am trying to rebuild the
project by hand, but as there is no documentation it's pretty
difficult.

All the Best
Dave

Re: a maze-game stack?

Nicolas Cueto
2005/07/20 14:36:22 ni, Judy-san wo kaita:

> Is your
> bird's eye view cartesian
> or orthoscopic?

Orthoscopic?! If that means a viewpoint similar
to actually walking thru a maze, most definitely
x-y cartesian.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: a maze-game stack?

capellan
Hi Nicolas,

I'm writing to point an interesting solution
to your task: a pac-man version
scripted completely in Hypercard for US$10.00

HyperGames is a HyperCard stack, jam-packed with more
than 60exciting games and useful utilities.

Creative games include anacclaimed Pong clone, a
Pac-Man clone, animations, music makers, mathematical
puzzles, educational quizzes, etc.

Original HyperTalkutilities include a Find/Replace
function, an Internet dataconverter, an automatic
index generator, a progress bar, synchronisedmultiple
scrolling fields, and much much more.

It is also an ideal vehicle to learn scripting, as
well as to demonstrate the power of HyperCard.

<http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games/HyperGames.shtml>
<http://www.hyperinfo.ca/HyperGames/>

al

Visit my site:
http://www.geocities.com/capellan2000/

Re: a maze-game stack?

Nicolas Cueto
Dave Cragg asked:

> Is this the kind of thing you were thinkig of, Nicolas, or something
> else entirely?

Sure was, Dave. In fact, that was such a brilliantly simple solution
that my maze game is now pretty well done.

Many, many thank you's!

Cheers,
Nicolas Cueto

Re: a maze-game stack?

Nicolas Cueto
Thanks, Alejandro, I'm intrigued but ours are Windows
machines only. If just the scripts are available, would
they be English-like enough that they could be "trans-
lated" into Rev-talk? The Pac-Man game is especially
tempting.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: a maze-game stack?

Malte Brill
Hi Nicolas,

if you like to use ArcadeEngine for a pacman like game here is a
out-of-the-top-of-my head approach.

Generate a maze using graphics as walls. each wall a graphic
(style=line).

Store the ID of the graphics in a custom property of the card e.g.
allWalls , each ID on one line. (*)

in a send in time structure you could have the following collision test:

repeat for each line theWall in the allWalls of this card
   if intersect(button "myGameHero",grc ID theWall) then
     put line 1 of the points of grc ID theWall into startPoint
     put line 2 of the points of grc ID theWall into endPoint
     put the width of btn "myGameHero" into theRadius
     if circleLineSegmentCollide(startPoint,endPoint,the loc of btn
"myGameHero",theRadius)=true then
       --collision has happened
     else
       --no collision has happened
  end repeat

This code snippet will check a collisions for all walls you have stored
in the custom property. The fun part is that wall now don´t need to be
right angled anymore, but can use any angle. :-)

If you want to go into detail just let me know. ;-) I´d like to help
writing a nice game again.

Cheers,

Malte

(*)

If you have layed out your maze you could use a repeat loop to set the
cProp

repeat with i=1 to the number of graphics
   put the ID of grc i&cr after theList
end repeat
delete char -1 of list
set the allWalls of this card to theList

Re: a maze-game stack?

Nicolas Cueto
> If you want to go into detail just let me know. ;-) I´d like to help
> writing a nice game again.

Thanks Malte.

Excuse me while I just grab my drink there and
carry both it and this discussion on over to the AE
forums....

--
Nicolas Cueto