What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

Alejandro Tejada
In my informal tests, the max number of points
in a vector graphic is 54,274.

Could anyone confirm this?

Al

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

dunbarxx
Alejandro.

I think it is rather 32,767. I made a simple test with a line grc:

on mouseUp
   repeat with y = 100 to 32768
      put "100," & y & return after tList
   end repeat
   set the points of grc 1 to tList
end mouseUp

I get crap if the value is above that number.

Craig Newman

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

Alejandro Tejada
Ok. This is the max number for a signed 16-bit integer.
This limit was not included in the list from page 43 of
LiveCode User Guide:

2.2.9  LiveCode Memory Limits

The following table details the memory limits for different types of LiveCode components.
Please note that these limits refer to the maximums that may be in use at any one time. You can
store additional information on disk or in a database and load it when it is required.

A note about entries designated as "Unlimited":
Since each open stack file resides completely in memory, LiveCode stacks (and all structures
within a stack) are effectively limited by available memory and by LiveCode's total address
space of 4G (4,294,967,296 bytes) on 32-bit systems

Total addressable space  4 GB (on 32-bit systems)
Maximum length of a line in a field  65,536 characters storage
No more than 32,786 pixels wide for display
Maximum size of an object  Unlimited
Maximum number of objects in a group  Unlimited
Maximum number of objects on a card  Unlimited
Maximum number of cards in a stack  Unlimited
Maximum number of objects in a stack  Unlimited

Maximum length of object names  65,536 characters
Maximum length of custom property names  255 characters
Maximum length of command or function names  65,536 characters
Maximum size of custom properties  Unlimited
Maximum number of custom properties  Unlimited
Maximum size of a script  Unlimited
Maximum size of other properties  64K

Maximum nesting level in control structures  Unlimited
Maximum level of recursion  Unlimited

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

BNig
Hi Al,

I think Craig ran into a display problem, not a number of points of a graphic problem. Because the points made the graphic to large.
Similar to maximum of a line. It can hold 65,536 but only display 32768

I ran into this when vectorizing an image into graphic objects, above 65,536 points it will only display a part of the points. Up to 65,536 it will display all points; apparently provided they are within the display limit.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

dunbarxx
Bernd may just have got this right.

The list of points goes negative  after 32767 if I place a higher upper limit in the repeat loop. I guess something "wrapped" around the max. Here is the handler:

on mouseUp
   repeat with y = 1 to 50000
      put "100," & y & return after temp
   end repeat
   set the points of grc 1 to temp
   put the points of grc 1 into temp1
end mouseUp

Now if you look at the point list, right at the middle, we get an inflection point (Hermann? You there?):

100,32758
100,32759
100,32760
100,32761
100,32762
100,32763
100,32764
100,32765
100,32766
100,32767
100,-32768
100,-32767
100,-32766
100,-32765
100,-32764
100,-32763
100,-32762
100,-32761

Odd...

Craig

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

Richard Gaskin
dunbarx wrote:

 > The list of points goes negative  after 32767 if I place a higher
 > upper limit in the repeat loop.

Hmm....that number has the scent of QuickDraw, or perhaps the deprecated
Carbon APIs used in QD's absence.

A few of LC's limitations aren't internal to the engine, but evident
only on specific platforms where the OS has the limit.

Anyone here in a position to test that to see if it's still an issue in
v6.7dp?

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

BNig
Craig,

The list of points goes negative  after 32767
nice finding. You can simplify the test

on mouseUp
   repeat with i = 32767 to 32770
      put 100, i & cr after tCollect
   end repeat
   delete last char of tCollect
   set the points of grc 1 to tCollect
   put the points of grc 1 into field 1
end mouseUp

gives you

100,32767
100,-32768
100,-32767
100,-32766

kind regards
Bernd

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

BNig
Richard Gaskin wrote
dunbarx wrote:

 > The list of points goes negative  after 32767 if I place a higher
 > upper limit in the repeat loop.

Hmm....that number has the scent of QuickDraw, or perhaps the deprecated
Carbon APIs used in QD's absence.

A few of LC's limitations aren't internal to the engine, but evident
only on specific platforms where the OS has the limit.

Anyone here in a position to test that to see if it's still an issue in
v6.7dp?

LC 6.7 dp4 is the same, as it is for 7.0 dp3

100,32767
100,-32768
100,-32767
100,-32766

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Bernd,

BNig wrote
I think Craig ran into a display problem, not a number of points
of a graphic problem. Because the points made the graphic too
large. Similar to maximum of a line. It can hold 65,536 but only
display 32768
I ran into this when vectorizing an image into graphic objects,
above 65,536 points it will only display a part of the points.
Up to 65,536 it will display all points; apparently provided they
are within the display limit.
I noticed that LiveCode 7.0 dp3 CRASH (just Quit) after
clicking the button "Outerglow"
Confirmed. This happens everytime in LC 7 dp2 and dp3.

http://livecode.com/developers/api/6.0.2/property/outerGlow/

I will keep testing with 6.7 dp4

Al

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

BNig
Hi Al,

the crash occurs in LC 7 dp3 when setting the outerglow to "none"

The bug fix is awaiting build

Bug 12459 - setting any graphic effects to "none" crashes LC 7 dp3

see my comments here:

http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=20488&p=104132#p104132

Kind regards

Bernd

Re: What is the max number of points in vector graphic?

Bob Sneidar-2
I remember long ago that if an Illustrator document had more than a certain number of points, it would crash the postscript processor. It’s probably related in that regard.

Bob S