What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Peter TB Brett
Hi all,

What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment?
Where can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any
interesting problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?

----------

In the office, I'm currently trying to figure out what tools I can build
to help with core dev team productivity.  For example, I'm planning to
create a tool that keeps our Bugzilla site
(http://quality.livecode.com/) synchronised with what's going on in our
git repositories (https://github.com/livecode/)

In my spare time:

- I've been adding some stuff to my somewhat-insane open source
"undergrowth" library of pure-LCB bits and pieces
(https://github.com/peter-b/undergrowth), including a templated string
formatting function:

     u_format("There are {} lights", [5])   --> "There are 5 lights"

- I've now written a reasonably usable Emacs mode for LCB source code
(https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode), with syntax highlighting and
indentation support.  It turns out LCB code (and LiveCode script) is
actually very difficult to highlight well without compiler support
because of LiveCode's English-like syntax, but lcb-mode does the job
adequately for the time being

- I've got the idea of making it possible to write externals in Rust
going round (and round) inside my head but I haven't yet got round to
getting it working.

----------

What are you up to?

                                      Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Matt Maier
I've been building a website in Livecode and revIgniter. I wanted a
passwordless authentication system so I had to roll that from scratch.

Now I'm connecting my desktop app to the website so that users can sync
their projects and make them available online.

This way people who know how to make things, and want to share (focusing on
open source hardware) can easily keep track of all the details. People who
need to know how to make things can get a BOM and instructions all neatly
organized and up to date.

The website (bare bones at the moment) is https://www.howstr.com

You can learn about and download Howstr here http://github.howstr.com

If you're a Livecode developer looking for contract work I'd be interested
in discussing specific projects. There aren't many Livecode devs around.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment? Where
> can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any interesting
> problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?
>
> ----------
>
> In the office, I'm currently trying to figure out what tools I can build
> to help with core dev team productivity.  For example, I'm planning to
> create a tool that keeps our Bugzilla site (http://quality.livecode.com/)
> synchronised with what's going on in our git repositories (
> https://github.com/livecode/)
>
> In my spare time:
>
> - I've been adding some stuff to my somewhat-insane open source
> "undergrowth" library of pure-LCB bits and pieces (
> https://github.com/peter-b/undergrowth), including a templated string
> formatting function:
>
>     u_format("There are {} lights", [5])   --> "There are 5 lights"
>
> - I've now written a reasonably usable Emacs mode for LCB source code (
> https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode), with syntax highlighting and
> indentation support.  It turns out LCB code (and LiveCode script) is
> actually very difficult to highlight well without compiler support because
> of LiveCode's English-like syntax, but lcb-mode does the job adequately for
> the time being
>
> - I've got the idea of making it possible to write externals in Rust going
> round (and round) inside my head but I haven't yet got round to getting it
> working.
>
> ----------
>
> What are you up to?
>
>                                      Peter
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
> lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Mike Kerner
Let's see:
• Peter challenged me to do better than the new Documentation setup.  Maybe
he didn't mean it that way, but that's the way I took it, so I'm going to
have a go.
• Finishing a new app that allows machine shops to quickly determine how to
run particular operations, what tooling to use, etc.
• Writing an app for making a tablet into a timeclock.
• Adding new features to an existing app that allows for easy warehouse
inventory management and posts updates in real time to a series of Google
spreadsheets.
• Messing with RFID scanning

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 6:07 AM, Matt Maier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been building a website in Livecode and revIgniter. I wanted a
> passwordless authentication system so I had to roll that from scratch.
>
> Now I'm connecting my desktop app to the website so that users can sync
> their projects and make them available online.
>
> This way people who know how to make things, and want to share (focusing on
> open source hardware) can easily keep track of all the details. People who
> need to know how to make things can get a BOM and instructions all neatly
> organized and up to date.
>
> The website (bare bones at the moment) is https://www.howstr.com
>
> You can learn about and download Howstr here http://github.howstr.com
>
> If you're a Livecode developer looking for contract work I'd be interested
> in discussing specific projects. There aren't many Livecode devs around.
>
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment? Where
> > can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any interesting
> > problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?
> >
> > ----------
> >
> > In the office, I'm currently trying to figure out what tools I can build
> > to help with core dev team productivity.  For example, I'm planning to
> > create a tool that keeps our Bugzilla site (http://quality.livecode.com/
> )
> > synchronised with what's going on in our git repositories (
> > https://github.com/livecode/)
> >
> > In my spare time:
> >
> > - I've been adding some stuff to my somewhat-insane open source
> > "undergrowth" library of pure-LCB bits and pieces (
> > https://github.com/peter-b/undergrowth), including a templated string
> > formatting function:
> >
> >     u_format("There are {} lights", [5])   --> "There are 5 lights"
> >
> > - I've now written a reasonably usable Emacs mode for LCB source code (
> > https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode), with syntax highlighting and
> > indentation support.  It turns out LCB code (and LiveCode script) is
> > actually very difficult to highlight well without compiler support
> because
> > of LiveCode's English-like syntax, but lcb-mode does the job adequately
> for
> > the time being
> >
> > - I've got the idea of making it possible to write externals in Rust
> going
> > round (and round) inside my head but I haven't yet got round to getting
> it
> > working.
> >
> > ----------
> >
> > What are you up to?
> >
> >                                      Peter
> >
> > --
> > Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> > LiveCode Technical Project Manager
> >
> > lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > use-livecode mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> > subscription preferences:
> > http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
> >
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>



--
On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
On the second day, God created the oceans.
On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

PystCat
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
I've been working on an interface that creates specialized calendars that contain Stock Exchange holidays to connect tow rather large Oracle database that handles millions of transactions a day.

On a different note, I love the subtle reference to ST:TNG with Picard held captive by a Cardassian Gul.

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 4:48 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment? Where can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any interesting problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?
>
> ----------
>
> In the office, I'm currently trying to figure out what tools I can build to help with core dev team productivity.  For example, I'm planning to create a tool that keeps our Bugzilla site (http://quality.livecode.com/) synchronised with what's going on in our git repositories (https://github.com/livecode/)
>
> In my spare time:
>
> - I've been adding some stuff to my somewhat-insane open source "undergrowth" library of pure-LCB bits and pieces (https://github.com/peter-b/undergrowth), including a templated string formatting function:
>
>    u_format("There are {} lights", [5])   --> "There are 5 lights"
>
> - I've now written a reasonably usable Emacs mode for LCB source code (https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode), with syntax highlighting and indentation support.  It turns out LCB code (and LiveCode script) is actually very difficult to highlight well without compiler support because of LiveCode's English-like syntax, but lcb-mode does the job adequately for the time being
>
> - I've got the idea of making it possible to write externals in Rust going round (and round) inside my head but I haven't yet got round to getting it working.
>
> ----------
>
> What are you up to?
>
>                                     Peter
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
> lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Paul Dupuis
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
On 9/1/2016 4:48 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment?
> Where can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any
> interesting problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?

I am working on trying to create code to print a Data Grid pixel
perfectly onto pages however many pages across and down is needed to
faithfully print the contents of the Data Grid. The goal is to not have
columns or rows "split" across pages, so it is more complex that just
mapping the formattedHeight and formattedWidth to the print area of each
page. You have to determine the scroll points (pageWidths and
pageHeights) based on how many variable width columns and rows fit to
each page and handle columns of rows that may be larger than the print
area of a page.

I have rows dead on (perhaps still off by a 'borderWidth' somewhere),
but something is wrong with columns (either in my code or a Data Grid
bug) that I am still working on.

I anyone has already coded this, I'd be interested in seeing that code.
Happy to share mine once it is done.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Bob Sneidar-2
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
I have an app called Forms Generator (you've probably seen me talk about it in the list) which has data entry forms that populate a mySQL or sqLite database. It also has the ability to import fillable PDF forms, analyze the structure of the PDF and save the PDF file binary in the database so I can easily re-create the fillable form anywhere on demand.

When importing the form I have a card which allows the user to associate table columns with fillable form controls, and then save those settings as a template. This adds the form to a forms menu for selection later.

Once all the desired forms have been imported and the associations made, a user can query for the data he wants in the data entry forms (stacks/cards) and select the form he wants to fill. The app can then launch the acrobat app of his choice (defined in the preferences pane) and populate the fillable form from the queried data.

The app is more like a framework for building Forms Generating applications, and could work for any mySQL or sqLite database, but currently I am using it for our service forms for the company I presently work for. Not only do we have clean professional looking forms to present to our customers for signing, but the data entered (copier setup, IP configuration, SMTP settings etc) is shared among my technicians for future reference.

Currently it is in production (I have been using it for over 2 years) but I am adding features. I am working on adding a Contacts feature. There are customers and sites. A contact belongs to a customer, but can be the default customer contact, the default site contact for a site for that customer, or a default IT contact for a site. Additionally more contacts can be added like alternate site contact, Accounts Receivable, Department manager etc. which are customizable by the end users.

I have in the way of modules, Customers, Sites, Devices, Accessories, Service and Inventory (equipment and accessories). I also, of course have the forms import/maintenance module which makes the whole thing work. I am adding the contacts feature now. If anyone is curious, I can put up some screen shots somewhere so you can get an idea of what it does.

Now that I have two techs working for me I have ready made compliant beta testers at my disposal. :-)

Bob S


On Sep 1, 2016, at 01:48 , Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi all,

What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment? Where can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any interesting problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Monte Goulding-2
In reply to this post by Mike Kerner
He probably did mean it that way ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2 Sep 2016, at 12:23 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> • Peter challenged me to do better than the new Documentation setup.  Maybe
> he didn't mean it that way, but that's the way I took it, so I'm going to
> have a go


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Skip Kimpel
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
I am in the process of creating an applicant tracking system for our HR
department.  The online application will be submitted through a WordPress
website leveraging Gravity Forms.  Thanks to Todd and the Digital
Pomegranate team, I was able to utilize some of the code they have been
writing for the community for this exact purpose.   Once the data is
submitted online, I have a standalone that extracts that XML data and
injects it into our internal corporate SQL database.

The second part of the project is a standalone interface that allows
retrieving and manipulating the database of applicants and perform reports
critical to HR operations.  Automatic routing of applications based on job
function and location, statistical data, export capabilities to Excel, auto
formatting of data into a standardized application, etc.

Right up my alley!

SKIP KIMPEL

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment? Where
> can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any interesting
> problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?
>
> ----------
>
> In the office, I'm currently trying to figure out what tools I can build
> to help with core dev team productivity.  For example, I'm planning to
> create a tool that keeps our Bugzilla site (http://quality.livecode.com/)
> synchronised with what's going on in our git repositories (
> https://github.com/livecode/)
>
> In my spare time:
>
> - I've been adding some stuff to my somewhat-insane open source
> "undergrowth" library of pure-LCB bits and pieces (
> https://github.com/peter-b/undergrowth), including a templated string
> formatting function:
>
>     u_format("There are {} lights", [5])   --> "There are 5 lights"
>
> - I've now written a reasonably usable Emacs mode for LCB source code (
> https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode), with syntax highlighting and
> indentation support.  It turns out LCB code (and LiveCode script) is
> actually very difficult to highlight well without compiler support because
> of LiveCode's English-like syntax, but lcb-mode does the job adequately for
> the time being
>
> - I've got the idea of making it possible to write externals in Rust going
> round (and round) inside my head but I haven't yet got round to getting it
> working.
>
> ----------
>
> What are you up to?
>
>                                      Peter
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
> lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Jeff Reynolds-3
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
Just updated content the presenter interface system for the auditorium programs at Monterey bay aquarium. It's been run on MetaCard/rev/livecode since the 90s and still going strong! They have a number of presenter shows that run in the auditorium all the time that utilize a large HD video library.

Now working on the proposal to move the system to the surface tablets to run the show wirelessly and also to switch over to handheld access to the video library after shows to answer questions with folks one on one between shows. They are also adding new education systems based on the same system in new classrooms.

Jeff

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

J. Landman Gay
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
On 9/1/2016 3:48 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment?
> Where can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any
> interesting problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?

I'm working on lots of stuff right now (too much, actually.)

1. My long-term project that delivers university courseware dynamically
to students via AWS. The company offers many different full-semester
courses, with more in the pipeline. This is a fairly complicated system
that interacts with a remote gradebook, tracks student activity and
their scores, supports several types of multimedia, provides little
in-app games, and much more. Besides writing the code that actually runs
all the courses, I also needed to write automation software that allows
the company to build and update the courseware from hundres of files on
disk. Current problems are that the app can't load externals correctly
on some Windows machines. I have no solution yet. For most students the
app works well and is in use all over the U.S.

2. I'm also a team member for Brahmanathaswami's project to get the
entire Hinduism Today web site into Android and iOS apps. This is an
ambitious undertaking given the extent of their existing content. They
have a beautiful site: <http://www.hinduismtoday.com/> So far, no
particular problems outside of some bugs the LC team has corrected. The
app will support artwork, quotations, music, narration, and more. This
is fun stuff to work with. BR himself did much of the coding, I'm mostly
implementing the mobile port and some optimizations.

3. An upcoming project involving healthcare and RFID tags. I will need
LC help with an external for this one. I am currently researching
various possibilities for implementation.

4. Eventual update to AirLaunch, my utility that seamlessly creates test
iOS ipa packages directly from within LC. This one has to be on hold
while I work on the other things. Dropbox will be suspending some html
capabilities which could impact AirLaunch soon.

If I ever had time I'd also do some personal projects but that never
seems to happen.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Kevin Stallibrass
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
A server/client system to allow a railway network to remotely print large format images at any station with a print facility on the line. Software works really well but probably won't be pressed into service because the prints are subsequently distributed to sub stations via train and they can't rely on safe delivery! That made me laugh

A simple tool to look into a folder hierarchy on a web server, check combinations of content and format the results as CSV so that my management can manipulate the output in Excel. Takes a couple of mins to process but will save me hours a month working on the most mind numbing task

Also an app to grab info on who downloaded what from a webserver, associate the user with a sales rep, generate a report and send it to the rep via mail. At 11.30 each night. The office think I work all night. Shame I don't get overtime

Kevin S
Sent from my iPad

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Jim MacConnell
Lots of little things but definitely not cutting edge stuff and, frankly,
mostly for my own satisfaction.

 

I'd love to get involved in cloud stuff but that's outside of where I work's
comfort zone since we need to maintain production regardless of outside
influences (note: this production involves metals and bending and welding
and.... not software production).  I mostly code to show possibilities of
electronic information access and to demonstrate the potential of simple
tools in a manufacturing environment. Livecode not being a "real" language
that IT can support means most of the things I do don't get implemented
unless they are really  "non-mission critical". At some point in the future,
I may be able to generate enough demand that we decide to do real in-house
development. Still, it's fun to poke people with... of course that's
doable... see... here it is!

 

Some of my current activities:

.         Update to an app to simply display phone numbers for people,
conference rooms, etc.  - Actually cute "phone shaped" app with slide out
search /result display area.

.         Update to an app to provide product safety info and facilitate
access MSDS sheets stored as PDFs (search based on material description,
vendor or MSDS ID#) and display results in format of standard diamond label
and separate window with actual PDF

.         Update to an app to display operational info (operator guides,
setup sheets, etc.) for production machines (presses, lathes, etc.) based on
which part and operation is needed. Allows barcode reader based selection.

.         Developing an app to extract information from specifically
formatted Excel spreadsheets in order to generate mobile friendly work
instructions.

.         Developing a vision based inspection system for tubes that require
specific tape label wraps at specific locations and directions.

.         Creating a simple inkjet pattern simulator (to be used to create
"image" of printed info to be used to search for matching area on tube in
above system)

.         (Complete but unwanted) App to parse text data from an ERP system
(Shop floor work orders) to extract references to external data (sketches,
specifications, etc.), creating links to that data on the fly and presenting
the work order on a touchscreen enabling single touch access to all the data
needed by the shop floor employees.

 

Plus other non-livecode projects that would love to be Livecode projects but
can't be yet due to institutional biases.

 

 

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
For an application with a complicated set of data types and a growing
ability to collect and export them, I'm working on a set of routines
to export ALL the things - text, HTMLText, tabular data (as HTMLText,
plain text, or a 2D array), images, or any combination of several of
the above - to a variety of file formats including text, Word, Excel,
PDF, or XTHML-compliant web page.

Right at the moment, I'm working on recognizing tabular data in text
or HTMLText, and converting it to a "real" HTML <table> element
before exporting as part of a web page.


At 9:48 AM +0100 9/1/2016, Peter TB Brett wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment?
>Where can we find out more about them?  Have you run into any
>interesting problems (or solutions) that you'd like to share?
>
>----------
>
>In the office, I'm currently trying to figure out what tools I can
>build to help with core dev team productivity.  For example, I'm
>planning to create a tool that keeps our Bugzilla site
>(http://quality.livecode.com/) synchronised with what's going on in
>our git repositories (https://github.com/livecode/)
>
>In my spare time:
>
>- I've been adding some stuff to my somewhat-insane open source
>"undergrowth" library of pure-LCB bits and pieces
>(https://github.com/peter-b/undergrowth), including a templated
>string formatting function:
>
>     u_format("There are {} lights", [5])   --> "There are 5 lights"
>
>- I've now written a reasonably usable Emacs mode for LCB source
>code (https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode), with syntax highlighting
>and indentation support.  It turns out LCB code (and LiveCode
>script) is actually very difficult to highlight well without
>compiler support because of LiveCode's English-like syntax, but
>lcb-mode does the job adequately for the time being
>
>- I've got the idea of making it possible to write externals in Rust
>going round (and round) inside my head but I haven't yet got round
>to getting it working.
>
>----------
>
>What are you up to?
>
>                                      Peter
>
>--
>Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
>LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
>lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode
>
>_______________________________________________
>use-livecode mailing list
>[hidden email]
>Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>subscription preferences:
>http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode



_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Alex Tweedly
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
On 01/09/2016 09:48, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What exciting LiveCode project(s) are you working on at the moment?
I'll answer that later today (hopefully), but first a rather negative
alternative Q&A.

Q. What exciting LC projects am I *NOT* working on ?

A. Widgets. (any of them, many of them)
At the conference at the start of August, I learned enough about widgets
and LCB to be very excited about the possibilities (I still am).
So I spent a good chunk of August working on a couple of widgets (out of
a long list of exciting widgets I would like to do, or have, or use, or ...)

But in the end I found the programming experience in LCB just too
frustrating.

I've been spoiled :-)  I'm used to symbolic, interactive debuggers -
been using them pretty much continually for the last 45 years that I've
been programming, starting with DDT and a proprietary one in the 70s, on
to GDB in the 80s and 90s, then interpreted languages for a little
while, before finally moving up to Revolution / Livecode.
And after trying it for a while, I'm just not willing to go back to the
dark ages and program in LCB without a decent toolset that provides
really effective diagnostics and debugging features.

So - I'm not doing any more with widgets until the tools are mature
enough for it to be an enjoyable experience.  And that really bugs me -
because there's so much I want to do in widgets, and so much to like
about LCB - but for me this is a hobby and programming is a pleasure,
and I just don't enjoy working in the dark and the dark ages :-)

-- Alex.
P.S. I skipped the rant about the missed opportunity to provide an
interactive, symbolic debugger for website development, that was almost
there, briefly, with LC Server and on-rev; website scripts are the one
other situation where we (the entire industry) is still (AFAIK) missing
a good debugging environment.



_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Dave Kilroy
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
What a great list, we should do this every month :)

I’m also doing too much:

1. Developing the ‘DiADeM’ dementia diagnosis app as featured at the recent LC conference - we’ll be going for pilot testing in Yorkshire and Buckinghamshire on 3rd October so I still have a lot to finish off.

2. Tweaking a pretty cool RFID card reading system created by another LiveCode developer - (RFID hardware using BLE to connect to iPods which connect to a server). Last month I was working on the BLE and this month looks like my focus will be sockets…

3. Putting on a LiveCode workshop here in Plymouth, UK where the topic will be creating an iOS/Android app that allows participants to take photos of their friends, deface them and then send them the ‘enhanced’ photos http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>

4. Updating a simple video app for iOS and Android for a local group. I really like the people involved and the cause they are working for, have just helped them set up a Google Play account and am trying to train them enough to make their own apps as time goes by.

5. Looking for a developer who can take on a health-related project I don’t have time for. If you are interested please get in touch. This project could be a great ‘in’ to health-related work - it will involve developing for iOS and Android, working with video recording and uploading to a server. Initially it may well be that you would have to construct your own web service to receive and store video recordings and to manage some sharing between users - but this may not be necessary and instead you would have to learn how to connect to OpenEHR from the off (I can help with this). There is a UK based pilot due to start in February 2017 with a lot of work to be done - not even a spec document has been created so this project could very much be ‘your baby’. The client is based in the London area. Get in touch if you’re interested

6. Going to the next NHS Hackday 1 & 2 October in Newcastle http://nhshackday.com/ <http://nhshackday.com/> - it would be smashing to see some other LiveCoder’s there! (Peter Reid I’m looking at you...)
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Alex Tweedly

On 02/09/2016 12:04, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> What a great list, we should do this every month :)
>
> I’m also doing too much:

> 3. Putting on a LiveCode workshop here in Plymouth, UK where the topic will be creating an iOS/Android app that allows participants to take photos of their friends, deface them and then send them the ‘enhanced’ photos http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>
>
I would be tempted to tweak the description of this project - it sounds
a bit like a "play" app, when in fact it could also be a very useful app.

Last week I needed to describe to someone staying in my flat (the other
side of the country) how to dismantle something (a slightly complex
electric wheelchair which can then be folded/collapsed for transport).
It was hard to describe (or indeed remember) exactly which parts had to
be twisted which way in which order; in the end I got him to send me a
photo, marked it up on my computer and sent it back to  him. Then I
could say things like "turn the black knobs marked 'A' outwards", "slide
the battery back and up through gap 'C'", etc.

I suspect this app you are developing would have made it possible / easy
to do this with just our phones.
And that might make it sound like a more "serious" app to some people.

-- Alex.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Dave Kilroy
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
Alex yes of course you’re right (although it does sound like what you needed was a copy of Trevor’s Clarify (http://www.clarify-it.com/ <http://www.clarify-it.com/>)

I first used the ‘scribbling on images’ when I was doing a mobile prototype for a health related project called OpenEyes (http://www.openeyes.org.uk/ <http://www.openeyes.org.uk/>) where clinicians did special ‘scribbling’ to indicate various clinical things (I never was clear what exactly they meant…)

So doodling doesn’t have to be just moustaches and spectacles - however in my desperation to get people to attend I’m gambling that pitching what we’ll make at the ‘fun’ end of the spectrum will lead to more people turning up (I hope)

BTW: I was going to cannibalise my OpenEyes app to form the base learning resource for the workshop when John Dixon told me he has already done the work (using his own ‘Scribble’ app that was actually on the App Store for some time)

Dave

PS: did your person manage to dismantle the wheelchair?



> On 02/09/2016 12:04, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> > What a great list, we should do this every month :)
> >
> > I’m also doing too much:
>
> > 3. Putting on a LiveCode workshop here in Plymouth, UK where the topic will be creating an iOS/Android app that allows participants to take photos of their friends, deface them and then send them the ‘enhanced’ photos http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/> <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>>
> >
> I would be tempted to tweak the description of this project - it sounds
> a bit like a "play" app, when in fact it could also be a very useful app.
>
> Last week I needed to describe to someone staying in my flat (the other
> side of the country) how to dismantle something (a slightly complex
> electric wheelchair which can then be folded/collapsed for transport).
> It was hard to describe (or indeed remember) exactly which parts had to
> be twisted which way in which order; in the end I got him to send me a
> photo, marked it up on my computer and sent it back to  him. Then I
> could say things like "turn the black knobs marked 'A' outwards", "slide
> the battery back and up through gap 'C'", etc.
>
> I suspect this app you are developing would have made it possible / easy
> to do this with just our phones.
> And that might make it sound like a more "serious" app to some people.
>
> -- Alex.
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Mike Kerner
Hey, Peter, thanks for starting the thread.  I've seen four people, so far,
that are working on things that might help me, so I've reached out to them.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Alex yes of course you’re right (although it does sound like what you
> needed was a copy of Trevor’s Clarify (http://www.clarify-it.com/ <
> http://www.clarify-it.com/>)
>
> I first used the ‘scribbling on images’ when I was doing a mobile
> prototype for a health related project called OpenEyes (
> http://www.openeyes.org.uk/ <http://www.openeyes.org.uk/>) where
> clinicians did special ‘scribbling’ to indicate various clinical things (I
> never was clear what exactly they meant…)
>
> So doodling doesn’t have to be just moustaches and spectacles - however in
> my desperation to get people to attend I’m gambling that pitching what
> we’ll make at the ‘fun’ end of the spectrum will lead to more people
> turning up (I hope)
>
> BTW: I was going to cannibalise my OpenEyes app to form the base learning
> resource for the workshop when John Dixon told me he has already done the
> work (using his own ‘Scribble’ app that was actually on the App Store for
> some time)
>
> Dave
>
> PS: did your person manage to dismantle the wheelchair?
>
>
>
> > On 02/09/2016 12:04, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> > > What a great list, we should do this every month :)
> > >
> > > I’m also doing too much:
> >
> > > 3. Putting on a LiveCode workshop here in Plymouth, UK where the topic
> will be creating an iOS/Android app that allows participants to take photos
> of their friends, deface them and then send them the ‘enhanced’ photos
> http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-
> More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-
> THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/> <
> http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-
> More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/ <http://www.meetup.com/The-
> THINQTANQ-Events-Meetups-and-More-in-Plymouth/events/226749341/>>
> > >
> > I would be tempted to tweak the description of this project - it sounds
> > a bit like a "play" app, when in fact it could also be a very useful app.
> >
> > Last week I needed to describe to someone staying in my flat (the other
> > side of the country) how to dismantle something (a slightly complex
> > electric wheelchair which can then be folded/collapsed for transport).
> > It was hard to describe (or indeed remember) exactly which parts had to
> > be twisted which way in which order; in the end I got him to send me a
> > photo, marked it up on my computer and sent it back to  him. Then I
> > could say things like "turn the black knobs marked 'A' outwards", "slide
> > the battery back and up through gap 'C'", etc.
> >
> > I suspect this app you are developing would have made it possible / easy
> > to do this with just our phones.
> > And that might make it sound like a more "serious" app to some people.
> >
> > -- Alex.
> >
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>



--
On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
On the second day, God created the oceans.
On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Tore Nilsen
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
The academic year has just started here in Norway, and I have just finished a preliminary edition of a digital textbook about using LiveCode in the subject “Information Technology 2”, for my students. The textbook covers all the objectives in the national curriculum with explanations and examples of how to use LiveCode in this particular course. The textbook currently has 15 chapters, most of them completed, but the final edition will see two or three chapters added to the book. I am on a path to have a final version ready by Christmas, as an iBook. The plan is to transfer all this stuff into a standalone application, built in LiveCode of course, in time for next year. This version will have som added benefits, as it will allow me to link directly to downloadable example scripts and stacks, that can easily be changed/updated, without the need for a complete update of the book.

I am also working on a couple of small applications for my English students. One will be a “private dictionary”, where they will add words and phrases they come across during their studies, in order to expand their vocabulary. They will be able to add words and phrases along with explanations and links to the sources where they found the words and/or the explanations of the words.

I am also working on a small “Notes and tasks” application, where they will write their own notes from their studies, as well as answers to written or oral tasks. This application will let them export their notes or tasks as rtf-files/ or sound files and hand in through our LMS as links. I also have plans for a third application which will be a collection of phrasal verbs and idioms. I guess this will be finished by Christmas and ready for my students in the last term. (We have just two terms in the academic year in Norway.

Tore
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami
In reply to this post by J. Landman Gay
The app is called

"SivaSiva"  and the main source of content is not (as Jacque said) from

www.hinduismtoday.com

but from

http://www.himalayanacademy.com

 The app endeavors to provide a more facile interface to a vast array of media resources on the web site via mobile;   AND some interactive edutainment content on top of static media delivery (audio, images, video, ebooks, web pages are all easy), to support the spiritual life of Saivite Hindus, but the app does not sell anything as such… and will be approachable by pretty much anyone with any level of interest in eastern thought….  goal is just to provide a rich "buffet"… take what you like,  no preaching or pushing anything.  

I wanted to have a highly module, "pluggable" architecture where we can have many separate components (called "modules")  allowing for independent parallel development that can then be added easily to the app, but all of which will use common libs. But allow different developers to work independently (somewhat, we do have to coordinate closely on Asana…)

 Andre Garzia created the overall framework and I finally had to get my Git Hub skills working. We have a mix of binary LC stacks for the top "Views"  where we try as best we can to abstract as much code as possible  "out"  to text only libs/behaviors and/or LC binary stack libraries we can call from anywhere

I worked up use cases with input from over 40 beta testers and we followed a "professional" recommendation by getting them to write full "personas" and the app seeks to meet all the needs of a wide ranges of users.  

Interesting problems: From our users requests we end up with a rather huge set of requirements. From 14 year old girls who want answers to questions. to 55 year-old pharma exec who spend 3 hours commuting and needs audio in his car, to "dedicated" practitioners who want to track progress in their reading/exercises to "fun stuff" like coloring and puzzles and "two clicks to content" for people on the go…

They would rather just be able to go to one app…

but  making a "robust" (some would say "bloated")  app  
where at least in the "west" we see many  small apps… into one "mega app"  (which is more popular in China and Korea…) and still make it navigable, actually fit on the phone etc. is challenging. But certainly interesting!  So we have a lot of discussion about tracking, "hoisting" (letting users push what they like to the front of the app)

Collaborating with GIT newbies (= me and Jacque) where many of the files are LC binaries and Jacque and I get the willies when we see "merge conflict" is another fun game we are learning.

The new browser widget has had issues and libURL +TSNet upgrade also causing some issues, but we have so much content to develop I move to that while waiting for the new LC upgrades. 8.1RC2 should pretty much let us run with our ideas with nothing in the way!

This app is scary big… wish us luck!

We will probably open the source a bit later… in case anyone is interested or would like to help/participate.

Svasti Astu, Be Well
Brahmanathaswami
www.himalayanacademy.com

 


On 9/1/16, 10:50 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    2. I'm also a team member for Brahmanathaswami's project to get the
    entire Hinduism Today web site into Android and iOS apps. This is an
    ambitious undertaking given the extent of their existing content. They
    have a beautiful site: <http://www.hinduismtoday.com/> So far, no
    particular problems outside of some bugs the LC team has corrected. The
    app will support artwork, quotations, music, narration, and more. This
    is fun stuff to work with. BR himself did much of the coding, I'm mostly
    implementing the mobile port and some optimizations.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
12