Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
 I have a MBP with an external monitor. Does anybody know how to force LC to open on the internal display and not the external? It suddenly switched on me and I can’t figure out why or how to control it. BTW, the external monitor is arranged to be above the MBP display.

Thanks,
Roger

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Right-click (ctrl-click) on the LC icon in the dock and choose “Options” then select “Assign to Desktop on Display 1”, should do it.

Paul

> On 22Feb, 2021, at 7:47 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a MBP with an external monitor. Does anybody know how to force LC to open on the internal display and not the external? It suddenly switched on me and I can’t figure out why or how to control it. BTW, the external monitor is arranged to be above the MBP display.
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hmmm, I don’t have that option!?? I’m using LC 9.6.1 in OS 11.2 What is your config?

Thanks Paul!

Roger

> On Feb 22, 2021, at 8:48 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Right-click (ctrl-click) on the LC icon in the dock and choose “Options” then select “Assign to Desktop on Display 1”, should do it.
>
> Paul
>
>> On 22Feb, 2021, at 7:47 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a MBP with an external monitor. Does anybody know how to force LC to open on the internal display and not the external? It suddenly switched on me and I can’t figure out why or how to control it. BTW, the external monitor is arranged to be above the MBP display.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roger

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Roger,

Perhaps you need to set up Spaces first?

- Devin

> On Feb 22, 2021, at 10:52 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmmm, I don’t have that option!?? I’m using LC 9.6.1 in OS 11.2 What is your config?
>
> Thanks Paul!
>
> Roger
>
>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 8:48 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Right-click (ctrl-click) on the LC icon in the dock and choose “Options” then select “Assign to Desktop on Display 1”, should do it.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>> On 22Feb, 2021, at 7:47 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a MBP with an external monitor. Does anybody know how to force LC to open on the internal display and not the external? It suddenly switched on me and I can’t figure out why or how to control it. BTW, the external monitor is arranged to be above the MBP display.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roger

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Works for me on OS11.2.1 (Big Sur) on my MacBook out of the box. The actual text shown is “Assign to desktop on” and then “Display 1” or “Display 2”.

> On 23 Feb 2021, at 16:36, Devin Asay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Roger,
>
> Perhaps you need to set up Spaces first?
>
> - Devin
>
>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 10:52 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, I don’t have that option!?? I’m using LC 9.6.1 in OS 11.2 What is your config?
>>
>> Thanks Paul!
>>
>> Roger
>>
>>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 8:48 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right-click (ctrl-click) on the LC icon in the dock and choose “Options” then select “Assign to Desktop on Display 1”, should do it.
>>>
>>> Paul

> Devin Asay
> Director
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I don’t normally use Spaces as I don’t leave a lot apps open, but, when I enter Spaces, I see that my MBP monitor is Desktop 1 and my external monitor is Desktop 2.

Roger

> On Feb 23, 2021, at 8:36 AM, Devin Asay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Roger,
>
> Perhaps you need to set up Spaces first?
>
> - Devin
>
>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 10:52 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, I don’t have that option!?? I’m using LC 9.6.1 in OS 11.2 What is your config?
>>
>> Thanks Paul!
>>
>> Roger
>>
>>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 8:48 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right-click (ctrl-click) on the LC icon in the dock and choose “Options” then select “Assign to Desktop on Display 1”, should do it.
>>>
>>> Paul

> Devin Asay
> Director
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Very strange! I don’t have those options….

Roger

> On Feb 23, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Works for me on OS11.2.1 (Big Sur) on my MacBook out of the box. The actual text shown is “Assign to desktop on” and then “Display 1” or “Display 2”.
>
>> On 23 Feb 2021, at 16:36, Devin Asay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Roger,
>>
>> Perhaps you need to set up Spaces first?
>>
>> - Devin
>>
>>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 10:52 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm, I don’t have that option!?? I’m using LC 9.6.1 in OS 11.2 What is your config?
>>>
>>> Thanks Paul!
>>>
>>> Roger

>> Devin Asay
>> Director
>> Office of Digital Humanities
>> Brigham Young University

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Sorry, I should have explained more, but I answered just before shutting my Mac down for the night. I’m still on Catalina (10.15.7), but this type of control doesn’t usually change too much if it’s still there.

To check Spaces, go to System Preferences, open Mission Control and check which shortcut is assigned to "Show Deskto"p, it’s usually F3 by default. I prefer “Group windows by application” to be off, but that’s just my choice.

Now press the F3 key to open the Spaces view (depending on your keyboard settings, you may need to press both the fn key and F3 to access Spaces). If you haven’t set any extra desktops before you will see “Desktop 1” for the main monitor and “Desktop 2” for the secondary monitor at the tops of the screens. Now move the mouse pointer to the grey bar at the top and you should see a “+” appear at the right hand side, click on the “+” to add a third Desktop, you don’t have to use this, but it will allow you to assign apps to specific desktop views. Close the view by clicking on any of the open windows or press F3 again.

Now you can right click on the Dock Icon for LC and choose the option to assign it to "Desktop on Display 1”, or whichever you prefer.

If you wish to remove any extra Desktops, press F3 then place the mouse pointer over a Desktop thumbnail in the top bar and a circle with an X will appear, click on that to remove the Desktop. Once you have removed any excess Desktops and you are down to Desktop 1 and 2, you will lose the option to assign applications to a particular display, I’m not sure what the logic of this is, but that’s how it goes.

HTH

Paul

> On 22Feb, 2021, at 9:52 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hmmm, I don’t have that option!?? I’m using LC 9.6.1 in OS 11.2 What is your config?
>
> Thanks Paul!
>
> Roger
>
>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 8:48 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Right-click (ctrl-click) on the LC icon in the dock and choose “Options” then select “Assign to Desktop on Display 1”, should do it.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>> On 22Feb, 2021, at 7:47 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a MBP with an external monitor. Does anybody know how to force LC to open on the internal display and not the external? It suddenly switched on me and I can’t figure out why or how to control it. BTW, the external monitor is arranged to be above the MBP display.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roger

Re: Which Monitor to Open LC In

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Thank you Paul! Especially for all the detail. You are absolutely right on target, and everything is good now.

Cheers,
Roger

> On Feb 23, 2021, at 10:24 AM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I should have explained more, but I answered just before shutting my Mac down for the night. I’m still on Catalina (10.15.7), but this type of control doesn’t usually change too much if it’s still there.
>
> To check Spaces, go to System Preferences, open Mission Control and check which shortcut is assigned to "Show Deskto"p, it’s usually F3 by default. I prefer “Group windows by application” to be off, but that’s just my choice.
>
> Now press the F3 key to open the Spaces view (depending on your keyboard settings, you may need to press both the fn key and F3 to access Spaces). If you haven’t set any extra desktops before you will see “Desktop 1” for the main monitor and “Desktop 2” for the secondary monitor at the tops of the screens. Now move the mouse pointer to the grey bar at the top and you should see a “+” appear at the right hand side, click on the “+” to add a third Desktop, you don’t have to use this, but it will allow you to assign apps to specific desktop views. Close the view by clicking on any of the open windows or press F3 again.
>
> Now you can right click on the Dock Icon for LC and choose the option to assign it to "Desktop on Display 1”, or whichever you prefer.
>
> If you wish to remove any extra Desktops, press F3 then place the mouse pointer over a Desktop thumbnail in the top bar and a circle with an X will appear, click on that to remove the Desktop. Once you have removed any excess Desktops and you are down to Desktop 1 and 2, you will lose the option to assign applications to a particular display, I’m not sure what the logic of this is, but that’s how it goes.
>
> HTH
>
> Paul
>
>> On 22Feb, 2021, at 9:52 PM, Roger Guay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, I don’t have that option!?? I’m using LC 9.6.1 in OS 11.2 What is your config?
>>
>> Thanks Paul!
>>
>> Roger
>>
>>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 8:48 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right-click (ctrl-click) on the LC icon in the dock and choose “Options” then select “Assign to Desktop on Display 1”, should do it.
>>>
>>> Paul

LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I have a script in my LC server that composes an email
and sends it to my Mac Mail Inbox.

I have set up a rule that says if the subject is “Something Cool”
and it was sent to my email at CoolPlace then it replies to
a different email address with another message.

It works in Mac OS Catalina, except - the subject line
ends up being a Hexadecimal code like 3b00 or dd71,
instead of being “RE: Something Cool”.

I find I can reproduce the problem if I just send an
email to my CoolPlace address with the triggering
subject line.

I’m thinking this is a bug in Catalina, but I need someone
to try out the problem for confirmation.  If RULES work
well for everyone else then I know it’s something
wrong with my computer.

Please let me know your results.

Thanks,

Rick

Re: LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Tough to let you know my results if none of us have your script . . .

Best, Richmond.

On 24.02.21 5:19, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> I have a script in my LC server that composes an email
> and sends it to my Mac Mail Inbox.
>
> I have set up a rule that says if the subject is “Something Cool”
> and it was sent to my email at CoolPlace then it replies to
> a different email address with another message.
>
> It works in Mac OS Catalina, except - the subject line
> ends up being a Hexadecimal code like 3b00 or dd71,
> instead of being “RE: Something Cool”.
>
> I find I can reproduce the problem if I just send an
> email to my CoolPlace address with the triggering
> subject line.
>
> I’m thinking this is a bug in Catalina, but I need someone
> to try out the problem for confirmation.  If RULES work
> well for everyone else then I know it’s something
> wrong with my computer.
>
> Please let me know your results.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Baffling can't create variable message

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
LiveCoders,

I have a pulldown menu button to which I want to append new searches that it does not already contain.

I have scripted this in various ways, multiple lines, single line, add parentheses, leave ‘em out, use extra variable/not,  in an attempt to isolate what I am doing wrong.  Sometimes I get a missing ‘then’ error, when it is clearly present.  However, in several constructions of the script, including the one liner below, I get

 “Can’t create a variable with that name (explicitvariables?) near text, char 113

The script is:

if the text of button "Search All" contains field "custom" = false then put return & field "custom" after the text of button "Search All"

I'm doubly confused because a) in this version of the script I am not using variables, and b) Strict compilation mode is unchecked.

I have no idea whether this is a clue, but only commands seem to be colourised in the script editor.  I also noticed that the breakpoints tab reports a breakpoint on line 54 (which doesn’t exist), and which I have never knowingly set.

LC 9.6.0 MacOS 10.13.6

At this stage I would welcome someone pointing out  a palm->face rookie error rather than anything more sinister .

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow

Re: LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
How do you compose the email?
Are you using the Mime library for it?
Are you using shell() function to send the email after composing or the tsNET external?

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

> Am 24.02.2021 um 04:19 schrieb Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I have a script in my LC server that composes an email
> and sends it to my Mac Mail Inbox.
>
> I have set up a rule that says if the subject is “Something Cool”
> and it was sent to my email at CoolPlace then it replies to
> a different email address with another message.
>
> It works in Mac OS Catalina, except - the subject line
> ends up being a Hexadecimal code like 3b00 or dd71,
> instead of being “RE: Something Cool”.
>
> I find I can reproduce the problem if I just send an
> email to my CoolPlace address with the triggering
> subject line.
>
> I’m thinking this is a bug in Catalina, but I need someone
> to try out the problem for confirmation.  If RULES work
> well for everyone else then I know it’s something
> wrong with my computer.
>
> Please let me know your results.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Re: Baffling can't create variable message

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
David,

the Text is a property of button "search all". You have to use  "set the text...."

set the text of button "search all" to return & fld "custom" & the text of button "search all"

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

> Am 24.02.2021 um 12:53 schrieb David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> put return & field "custom" after the text of button "Search All"

Re: Baffling can't create variable message

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
OOOOhhhhhhhhh!

Why did that not occur to me?  Damn, on one of my variants I was so close, though...

Thanks Matthias

Cheers

David G

> On 24 Feb 2021, at 12:42 pm, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> the Text is a property of button "search all". You have to use  "set the text...."
>
> set the text of button "search all" to return & fld "custom" & the text of button "search all"
>

> -
> Matthias Rebbe
> Life Is Too Short For Boring Code
>
>> Am 24.02.2021 um 12:53 schrieb David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> put return & field "custom" after the text of button "Search All"

Re: LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Richmond,

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear enough about what I was asking.

My script is fine!

I can reproduce the problem just by sending a normal
email in the usual physical way that we send emails
everyday.  (No script required.)

I am using the Apple Mac Mail Rules option to filter.

Can you please try your Rules in macOS Catalina to confirm
if you are getting Hexadecimal numbers for a subject in
your auto reply message.

Thanks,

Rick

> On Feb 24, 2021, at 3:07 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tough to let you know my results if none of us have your script . . .
>
> Best, Richmond.
>
> On 24.02.21 5:19, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
>> I have a script in my LC server that composes an email
>> and sends it to my Mac Mail Inbox.
>>
>> I have set up a rule that says if the subject is “Something Cool”
>> and it was sent to my email at CoolPlace then it replies to
>> a different email address with another message.
>>
>> It works in Mac OS Catalina, except - the subject line
>> ends up being a Hexadecimal code like 3b00 or dd71,
>> instead of being “RE: Something Cool”.
>>
>> I find I can reproduce the problem if I just send an
>> email to my CoolPlace address with the triggering
>> subject line.
>>
>> I’m thinking this is a bug in Catalina, but I need someone
>> to try out the problem for confirmation.  If RULES work
>> well for everyone else then I know it’s something
>> wrong with my computer.
>>
>> Please let me know your results.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick

Re: LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Matthias,

The problem is not with the script
because I can reproduce the problem
without using it at all.

Just test the Rules part of Mac Mail in Catalina,
to see if an auto reply generates Hexadecimal
numbers in the Subject line.

Thanks,

Rick

> On Feb 24, 2021, at 7:21 AM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How do you compose the email?
> Are you using the Mime library for it?
> Are you using shell() function to send the email after composing or the tsNET external?
>

> -
> Matthias Rebbe
> Life Is Too Short For Boring Code
>
>> Am 24.02.2021 um 04:19 schrieb Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I have a script in my LC server that composes an email
>> and sends it to my Mac Mail Inbox.
>>
>> I have set up a rule that says if the subject is “Something Cool”
>> and it was sent to my email at CoolPlace then it replies to
>> a different email address with another message.
>>
>> It works in Mac OS Catalina, except - the subject line
>> ends up being a Hexadecimal code like 3b00 or dd71,
>> instead of being “RE: Something Cool”.
>>
>> I find I can reproduce the problem if I just send an
>> email to my CoolPlace address with the triggering
>> subject line.
>>
>> I’m thinking this is a bug in Catalina, but I need someone
>> to try out the problem for confirmation.  If RULES work
>> well for everyone else then I know it’s something
>> wrong with my computer.
>>
>> Please let me know your results.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick

Re: LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Okay, understood. ;)

I've tried here in a VM with macOS 14.3 now.

I created a rule that forwards an email if the subject is DAVID.
I can replicate it so far, but in my case the subject changed from DAVID to Fwd: baa1

I checked also the raw email. There's the same for the subject.

Regards,
Matthias

-
Matthias Rebbe
Life Is Too Short For Boring Code

> Am 24.02.2021 um 15:15 schrieb Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> The problem is not with the script
> because I can reproduce the problem
> without using it at all.
>
> Just test the Rules part of Mac Mail in Catalina,
> to see if an auto reply generates Hexadecimal
> numbers in the Subject line.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
>
>> On Feb 24, 2021, at 7:21 AM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How do you compose the email?
>> Are you using the Mime library for it?
>> Are you using shell() function to send the email after composing or the tsNET external?
>>

>> -
>> Matthias Rebbe
>> Life Is Too Short For Boring Code
>>
>>> Am 24.02.2021 um 04:19 schrieb Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I have a script in my LC server that composes an email
>>> and sends it to my Mac Mail Inbox.
>>>
>>> I have set up a rule that says if the subject is “Something Cool”
>>> and it was sent to my email at CoolPlace then it replies to
>>> a different email address with another message.
>>>
>>> It works in Mac OS Catalina, except - the subject line
>>> ends up being a Hexadecimal code like 3b00 or dd71,
>>> instead of being “RE: Something Cool”.
>>>
>>> I find I can reproduce the problem if I just send an
>>> email to my CoolPlace address with the triggering
>>> subject line.
>>>
>>> I’m thinking this is a bug in Catalina, but I need someone
>>> to try out the problem for confirmation.  If RULES work
>>> well for everyone else then I know it’s something
>>> wrong with my computer.
>>>
>>> Please let me know your results.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rick

Re: LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Matthias,

That confirms this is bug with macOS Mojave and most
probably wasn’t fixed in Catalina either!

Now the question becomes one of does the
bug still exist in macOS Big Sur?

In addition, can anyone come up with a
workaround that produces the correct result?

Thanks!

Rick

> On Feb 24, 2021, at 10:43 AM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Okay, understood. ;)
>
> I've tried here in a VM with macOS 14.3 now.
>
> I created a rule that forwards an email if the subject is DAVID.
> I can replicate it so far, but in my case the subject changed from DAVID to Fwd: baa1
>
> I checked also the raw email. There's the same for the subject.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias

Re: LC, Mac Mail & Rules

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Rick,

i mixed the version numbers. I tested with 15.3 which is Catalina. There it shows also the behaviour.
In Mojave the subjects is not changed and keeps the original value.

Please excuse the confusion.

-