Who says LiveCode ain't English!

FlexibleLearning.com
For fun, writing a story using LiveCode syntax without a compile error...

on mouseUp
  go to shop
  if shop is not open then return home
  get groceries, coffee and milk
  put groceries into fridge
end mouseUp

How long can we make it?

Hugh Senior
FLCo

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

Klaus major-k
Hi Hugh,

Am 18.08.2014 um 14:11 schrieb FlexibleLearning.com <[hidden email]>:

> For fun, writing a story using LiveCode syntax without a compile error...
>
> on mouseUp
>  go to shop
>  if shop is not open then return home
>  get groceries, coffee and milk
>  put groceries into fridge
> end mouseUp
>
> How long can we make it?

may depend on the size of your fridge! :-D

> Hugh Senior
> FLCo

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

dunbarxx
Why not:

set the fun of it to the satisfaction of it

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 18/08/14 15:11, FlexibleLearning.com wrote:

> For fun, writing a story using LiveCode syntax without a compile error...
>
> on mouseUp
>    go to shop
>    if shop is not open then return home
>    get groceries, coffee and milk
>    put groceries into fridge
> end mouseUp
>
> How long can we make it?
>
> Hugh Senior
> FLCo

on mouseUp
   go to shoppingCentre
      if cheeseShop is not open
         put "Hard Cheese!"
      else
         get cheese
         put it after fld "shopping bought"
      end if
      if wineShop is not open
         put "Drink water instead!"
      else
         get wine
         put "," && it after fld "shopping bought"
      end if
      if fruitShop is not open
         put "Scurvy tomorrow!"
      else
         get fruit
         put "," && it after fld "shopping bought"
      end if
      if meatShop is open
         put "Hey, I thought you were a vegetarian!"
      end if
     if fishShop is open
         put "Hey, I thought you were a vegetarian!"
     answer "Are your feet up?" with "UP" and "NO"
       if it = "NO" then
            put "Put your feet up!"
       else
            put "Have a good rest!"
       end if
end mouseUP

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

BNig
   repeat for each item bottle in my fridge
      put drink into my glass
      repeat until my glass is empty
         drink beer
         repeat with cheers =  toast to you wrap glass
            skol
         end repeat
      end repeat
      if the bottle of the fridge of me is empty then next repeat
      if the drunkenness of me is great then play stop
   end repeat

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

BNig
Hi Craig,

>> Now, Bernd, however such a thing makes me smile, it will not compile, as you well know

I took it straight from the script editor after a compile, did you try to compile it? After all that was the deal.

below the complete script that compiled in 6.6.2

---
on mouseUp
   go to shop
   if shop  is not open then return home
   get groceries, coffee and milk, butter and beer
   put groceries into fridge
end mouseUp
-----

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

dunbarxx
Bernd.

That was not the handler I got. It was;

 repeat for each item bottle in my fridge
      put drink into my glass
      repeat until my glass is empty
         drink beer
         repeat with cheers =  toast to you wrap glass
            skol
         end repeat
      end repeat
      if the bottle of the fridge of me is empty then next repeat
      if the drunkenness of me is great then play stop
   end repeat

>> Now, Bernd, however such a thing makes me smile, it will not compile, as
>> you well know

I took it straight from the script editor after a compile, did you try to
compile it? After all that was the deal.

below the complete script that compiled in 6.6.2

---
on mouseUp
   go to shop
   if shop  is not open then return home
   get groceries, coffee and milk, butter and beer
   put groceries into fridge
   repeat for each item bottle in my fridge
      put drink into my glass
      repeat until my glass is empty
         drink beer
         repeat with cheers =  toast to you wrap glass
            skol
         end repeat
      end repeat
      if the bottle of the fridge of me is empty then next repeat
      if the drunkenness of me is great then play stop
   end repeat
end mouseUp
-----

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

BNig
Craig,

sorry, it was just a piece of code to add to Hugh's initial handler, he asked "how long can we make it"

anyways I was surprised it compiled at all.

Kind regards

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

Peter Haworth
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> if the drunkenness of me is great then play stop

I might suggest the following instead of the above

if this me is drunk or SpeechIsImpaired() then play stop

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

Walt Brown
*if* the hunger of me is great *then* *ask* omelet with cheese, ham and
potatoes

*else* *if* the hunger of me is small *then* *get* pretzel box

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM, FlexibleLearning.com <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> For fun, writing a story using LiveCode syntax without a compile error...
>
> on mouseUp
>   go to shop
>   if shop is not open then return home
>   get groceries, coffee and milk
>   put groceries into fridge
> end mouseUp
>
> How long can we make it?
>
> Hugh Senior
> FLCo

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

Martin Koob
Why is the mouse up?

Is it the mouse that did the shopping?

Does 'end' mean the up mouse went down for a nap after a long shopping trip?

Martin

Sri

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

Sri
Add to Bernd's code:

if morning contains headache then
     call doctor
else
     order beer

Re: Who says LiveCode ain't English!

Peter Haworth
if NoBeerIsLeft then
   dispatch ErrandBoy to LiquorStore with BeerOrder
end if