Why Microsoft Word must Die

mwieder
From Charlie Stross:

<http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/10/why-microsoft-word-must-die.html>

<cough>
http://www.libreoffice.org/

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/14/2013 10:00 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>  From Charlie Stross:
>
> <http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/10/why-microsoft-word-must-die.html>
>
> <cough>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/

Presumably this is why Apple/Claris stopped Clarisworks, Appleworks; my
favourite office suite.

The reasons Charlie Stross uses in his argument about "Word" can be
applied to Microsoft in general.

The worst thing is that the developers of Oppen Office anf Libre Office
feel they have to
produce imitations of "Word", when they could develop far better interfaces.

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Mike Kerner
Which reminds me, the LC script editor must be brought into this century.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 10/14/2013 10:00 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>
>>  From Charlie Stross:
>>
>> <http://www.antipope.org/**charlie/blog-static/2013/10/**
>> why-microsoft-word-must-die.**html<http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/10/why-microsoft-word-must-die.html>
>> >

>> <cough>
>> http://www.libreoffice.org/
>>

> Presumably this is why Apple/Claris stopped Clarisworks, Appleworks; my
> favourite office suite.
>
> The reasons Charlie Stross uses in his argument about "Word" can be
> applied to Microsoft in general.
>
> The worst thing is that the developers of Oppen Office anf Libre Office
> feel they have to
> produce imitations of "Word", when they could develop far better
> interfaces.
>
> Richmond.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Dr. Hawkins
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Which reminds me, the LC script editor must be brought into this century.

It really needs to be able to be replaced with an arbitrary editor, such as
vim or the resource-sucking finger-twister

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

On 15/10/13 08:23, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Which reminds me, the LC script editor must be brought into this century.
>>
> It really needs to be able to be replaced with an arbitrary editor, such as
> vim or the resource-sucking finger-twister

What is an 'arbitary editor'?

On 15/10/13 00:21, Mike Kerner wrote:
> Which reminds me, the LC script editor must be brought into this century.

I don't really find anything wrong with the LC script editor.

In fact I am glad it is not bogged down with 'features' that would serve
as distractions.

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/2013 10:00 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>>
>>>   From Charlie Stross:
>>>
>>> <http://www.antipope.org/**charlie/blog-static/2013/10/**
>>> why-microsoft-word-must-die.**html<http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/10/why-microsoft-word-must-die.html>
>>> <cough>
>>> http://www.libreoffice.org/
>>>

>> Presumably this is why Apple/Claris stopped Clarisworks, Appleworks; my
>> favourite office suite.
>>
>> The reasons Charlie Stross uses in his argument about "Word" can be
>> applied to Microsoft in general.
>>
>> The worst thing is that the developers of Oppen Office anf Libre Office
>> feel they have to
>> produce imitations of "Word", when they could develop far better
>> interfaces.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Tim Selander
You don't think it would be nice if it could handle text
encodings for UTF8, like any other text editor can??

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

On 10/15/13 3:35 PM, Richmond wrote:
> I don't really find anything wrong with the LC script editor.

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Mike Kerner
or support code folding, or macros, or..........

Tim Selander wrote:
> You don't think it would be nice if it could handle text
> encodings for UTF8, like any other text editor can??

When the engine's Unicode implementation is completed so it can do
meaningful work with it, I'm sure it will.  Probably won't be long now -
the team seem to be making good progress on the final stages of Unicode
work:
<http://newsletters.livecode.com/august/issue155/newsletter1.php>

But looking at the bigger picture, the engine supports an
emacsKeyBindings property and the old MetaCard script editor supported
that along with an option to use any external editor - I wonder what it
would take to have these in LC's script editor?

  Fourth World
  Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Tim Selander
I hadn't seen that article yet. Very informative. Thanks.

I await being able to xTalk in Japanese on modern machines with
great anticipation.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 15/10/13 08:23, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>

> It really needs to be able to be replaced with an arbitrary editor, such as
>> vim or the resource-sucking finger-twist
>

>  What is an 'arbitary editor'?

I suppose it would arbitate disputes between you and the compiler :)

By "arbitrary," I mean stick in any editor that complies with the operating
system's regular rules--the IDE and the program would communicate, or the
editor could embed into the IDE--thus taking the IDE to fairly late 20th
century standards . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

J. Landman Gay
On 10/15/13 11:37 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:

> By "arbitrary," I mean stick in any editor that complies with the operating
> system's regular rules--the IDE and the program would communicate, or the
> editor could embed into the IDE--thus taking the IDE to fairly late 20th
> century standards . . .

You used to be able to do that. I never used the feature so I didn't
notice when it went missing, but I can't find it now. There used to be a
place in Preferences where you could assign a different app to use as an
editor.

On 10/15/2013 02:57 PM, Tim Selander wrote:
> You don't think it would be nice if it could handle text encodings for
> UTF8, like any other text editor can??

Ah; you got me there :)

Richmond.

On 10/15/2013 03:39 PM, Mike Kerner wrote:
> or support code folding, or macros, or..........

I obviously have "missed" an awful lot:

1. What is 'support code folding?

2. As I use a Nostromo 52 Gamepad attached to my VMware Mac for coding;
where the keys on the Gamepad
effectively deliver repetitive sequence rather like macros that aspect
doesn't fuss me.

Richmond.

On 10/15/2013 07:37 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On 15/10/13 08:23, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>>
>> It really needs to be able to be replaced with an arbitrary editor, such as
>>> vim or the resource-sucking finger-twist
>>
>>   What is an 'arbitary editor'?
>
> I suppose it would arbitate disputes between you and the compiler :)

Well, in my case, that would be mega-useful!

> By "arbitrary," I mean stick in any editor that complies with the operating
> system's regular rules--the IDE and the program would communicate, or the
> editor could embed into the IDE--thus taking the IDE to fairly late 20th
> century standards . . .

"stick in editor" ?????

Where would one stick it?

I find that Copy-Paste from Komodo Edit for really long stretches of
code does the trick,
and short ones do alright in the in-built script-editor.

On 10/15/2013 07:56 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 10/15/13 11:37 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>
>> By "arbitrary," I mean stick in any editor that complies with the
>> operating
>> system's regular rules--the IDE and the program would communicate, or
>> the
>> editor could embed into the IDE--thus taking the IDE to fairly late 20th
>> century standards . . .
>>

> You used to be able to do that. I never used the feature so I didn't
> notice when it went missing, but I can't find it now. There used to be
> a place in Preferences where you could assign a different app to use
> as an editor.

Don't you just love developers secretly deprecate useful features??

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:

> "stick in editor" ?????
>
> Where would one stick it?

It would load in the window where the built-in editor is.

> I find that Copy-Paste from Komodo Edit for really long stretches of code
> does the trick,
> and short ones do alright in the in-built script-editor.

We all have finger-memory; left to my perferences, I woulddo most of my
writing/editing in vi, and load certain searches to emacs.

At least the wordstar key bindings don't get in my way any more (well, not
very often)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Mike Kerner
Code folding is allowing you to collapse or expand structures within your
code.  GLX2 has that, now, sort of.
Typically you have a collapse reticle next to the beginning of the
structure, then a dashed line that extends to the "end"

Thus (in text, not graphically)

+ on mouseUp
|     answer "This is a handler that demonstrates folding" with "OK" or
"Cancel"
|     + if it is "OK" then
|      |      beep
|      |      answer "OK, back"
|      - else # not ok
|      |      exit mouseUp
|      - end if # it is "OK"
- end mouseUp

I can collapse the structures so I can see what's going on without the
extra noise.  It is very useful in long handlers.
Even better, if I can embed tag-like structures and collapse them, then I
can mark sections of code without a control structure, and collapse or
expand the whole thing.  That way I don't have to put something like an if
true end if around something to be able to collapse it.

#<figure out when not increasing the debt ceiling will actually cause real
harm not imaginary harm>
      #my code to do the math on tax receipts vs. outlays goes here
#</figure out when not increasing the debt ceiling will actually cause real
harm not imaginary harm>

As for macros, it's little things like being able to insert an
if-then-else-end if structure that auto-documents the conditions so that I
don't have to.  Macros can have engine-related functions in them, so dates,
times, handler names, copyrights, etc. can be auto-embedded in the header
of any handler.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 10/15/2013 03:39 PM, Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>> or support code folding, or macros, or..........
>>

> I obviously have "missed" an awful lot:
>
> 1. What is 'support code folding?
>
> 2. As I use a Nostromo 52 Gamepad attached to my VMware Mac for coding;
> where the keys on the Gamepad
> effectively deliver repetitive sequence rather like macros that aspect
> doesn't fuss me.
>
> Richmond.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Alex Tweedly
On 15/10/2013 18:09, Richmond wrote:
> 2. As I use a Nostromo 52 Gamepad attached to my VMware Mac for
> coding; where the keys on the Gamepad
> effectively deliver repetitive sequence rather like macros that aspect
> doesn't fuss me.
But macros *need* to be so much more than simple key repetition !

Even a simple macro (find next occurrence of a string, delete the entire
line it's on) has to do something "intelligent" if there is no next
occurrence of the string, otherwise it will delete the wrong line.

And there is much more intelligence that can be put into editor macros ...

-- Alex.

Re: Why Microsoft Word must Die

Peter Alcibiades
Scrivener seems interesting.  Lyx is my own answer to the large document writing issue.

Peter
12