Widget baseClock_v100

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode

BaseClock is a new widget that displays by special "digits" the
time encoded to a number base in range 2-60.
Encoded is each of the time items (hours, minutes, seconds).
For base 2 this is known as "Binary encoded decimals".

The display is unique (I invented that) as it doesn't use
characters for digits  > 9 but decimal "columns". This is very
easy to read and (manually) to write.

Download the widget from "Sample Stacks" or from
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/911

The sample stack contains an installer and displays 17 clocks
to different number bases. One display cycle for a seconds display
is done by each widget in < 3 millisecs (compute and paint).

This stack shows an essential improvement of LCB 9 over LCB 8:
The clocks are much more "in sync" than in LC 8.
And it has a substack that is prepared for displaying a baseClock
"window shaped".

There are 16 options for the display, see the dictionary or open
the property inspector.

Note.
Some properties of the widget are triggered by the timer, which is
(as all timers) stopped in the property inspector. So you may see
the changes not before going back to browse mode.

The widget is free for non-commercial use and has the source code
included. For commercial use please give a (small) fee to the LC
developer help fund.

Re: Widget baseClock_v100

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Hi, thanks for this ....

Its a cool example of a widget... thanks for sharing your code.

Its interesting....What is the problem this invention solves? is there a
use case for using such a time format?  What did you use it for?

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 4:43 PM hh via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> BaseClock is a new widget that displays by special "digits" the
> time encoded to a number base in range 2-60.
> Encoded is each of the time items (hours, minutes, seconds).
> For base 2 this is known as "Binary encoded decimals".
>
> The display is unique (I invented that) as it doesn't use
> characters for digits  > 9 but decimal "columns". This is very
> easy to read and (manually) to write.
>
> Download the widget from "Sample Stacks" or from
> http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/911
>
> The sample stack contains an installer and displays 17 clocks
> to different number bases. One display cycle for a seconds display
> is done by each widget in < 3 millisecs (compute and paint).
>
> This stack shows an essential improvement of LCB 9 over LCB 8:
> The clocks are much more "in sync" than in LC 8.
> And it has a substack that is prepared for displaying a baseClock
> "window shaped".
>
> There are 16 options for the display, see the dictionary or open
> the property inspector.
>
> Note.
> Some properties of the widget are triggered by the timer, which is
> (as all timers) stopped in the property inspector. So you may see
> the changes not before going back to browse mode.
>
> The widget is free for non-commercial use and has the source code
> included. For commercial use please give a (small) fee to the LC
> developer help fund.

Re: Widget baseClock_v100

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
> Tom G. wrote:
> Its interesting....What is the problem this invention solves? is there a
> use case for using such a time format?  What did you use it for?

This is a "must-do" for a mathematician. To use such solutions for an
open problem is in general the job of engineers.

I use as desktop the base 15 clock that shows the number of full quarters
in the first digit and the numbers filling the next quarter in the second
digit. Quarters of an hour are my "fuzzy" measure of time.

But -- a lot of 'Geeks' use other number base-coded decimals (not only
for dateAndTime display). And the Mayas and Aztecs used number base 20.

Now try to read, say for simplicity a hex-clock using "A,B,C,D,E,F"
for 10,11,12,13,14,15". For example the MAC address clock here:
http://hyperhh.de/html5/MACaddressTime-8.0.2X.html
(click to start).

And compare to my format.
Most kids of age 10 and older can read, with a few minutes of exercise,
hex numbers with my format every second.

Re: Widget baseClock_v100

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
thanks hh for that explanation.....I literally had no idea that people did
this ...... fascinating!

Some days ....I feel like a total newb..... ;)