Widget course

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Has any one had success with the widget course?

I thought it time to go through the new widget course following last month's LC Global.
Unfortunately I can't seem to get past the first lesson.
I have tried this in both LC8.15rc3 and LC9dp7
I save the lcb file in my widget folder and then open it via the extension builder.
I was successfully able to test the lcb file and so I moved on to the next lesson, installing an lcb library.
This is where I have come to grief.
I press the "install" button and the log shows two entries.
The first informs me the compilation is skipped as it is all up to date (I guess from testing.)
The second is an error telling me no version found in...and then a full path to my lcb file.
What does this mean?
What is not found?
The lcb file is most definitely there so what else is missing?
When I check in the "Extensions" folder in "My Livecode" there is no widget folder created so the error is for real and is stopping the build.

Has something changed since the tutorial was made.
I mean this is the simplest of simple exercises.
What's gone wrong?

I am on a Mac.

James

Re: Widget course

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Hi James,
"no version found in..." refers to module metadata - add

metadata version is "1.0.0"

to the library and it should hopefully install. I think perhaps the section
on metadata should be before the install section.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:13 AM james--- via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has any one had success with the widget course?
>
> I thought it time to go through the new widget course following last
> month's LC Global.
> Unfortunately I can't seem to get past the first lesson.
> I have tried this in both LC8.15rc3 and LC9dp7
> I save the lcb file in my widget folder and then open it via the extension
> builder.
> I was successfully able to test the lcb file and so I moved on to the next
> lesson, installing an lcb library.
> This is where I have come to grief.
> I press the "install" button and the log shows two entries.
> The first informs me the compilation is skipped as it is all up to date (I
> guess from testing.)
> The second is an error telling me no version found in...and then a full
> path to my lcb file.
> What does this mean?
> What is not found?
> The lcb file is most definitely there so what else is missing?
> When I check in the "Extensions" folder in "My Livecode" there is no
> widget folder created so the error is for real and is stopping the build.
>
> Has something changed since the tutorial was made.
> I mean this is the simplest of simple exercises.
> What's gone wrong?
>
> I am on a Mac.
>
> James

Re: Widget course

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
OK, looked at actual widgets and see they have metadata items so I added these and the error disappeared.

1. Seems the minimum requirements for the Extension Builder have changed since the course first written

(BTW I am using 8.1.5, when I tried in 9dp7 there were even more errors.)

Full of confidence I click the "install" button.
I am duly asked for icons and click cancel on each request.
Log entries seem to have a stutter (repeat everything) but not actual errors reported.
open message box and type "put the loadedextensions"
scroll through the list - nada
magically type "put sayhello()" in message box to be greeted by error.
seems LC knows nothing of my library.
Check my "Extensions
"folder and it is there so am at a loss.
Quit LC and reopen.
open message box and type "put the loadedextensions" - success
type "put sayhello()" in message box - success

2. It seems you need to quit and relaunch LC after installing a library. Not the best.

James

[hidden email]

Tel: +61 3 9386 2516
Fax: +61 3 9386 1387