Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi,

Ehh.....Does anyone know if it will ever be possible to place controls on
layers above a browser widget?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I went through that a while back. I was trying to create a web based Kiosk app, that a hot-click could cancel, so we could get back to the desktop. I never got it to work. Once the browser object had control, nothing else would respond.

Bob S

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 11:04 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ehh.....Does anyone know if it will ever be possible to place controls on
> layers above a browser widget?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi.

Odd, I tried this with other widgets overlain by a button, and a mouseUp
message was generated without issue anywhere I clicked on the button.

But with a browser widget, the message is generated only if the extent of
the button is outside the extent of the underlying widget.

How do it know?

Craig Newman

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
oh yeah i know that right now thats the case....i'm asking if anyone knows
if thats a temporary or permanent situation.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 2:08 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I went through that a while back. I was trying to create a web based Kiosk
> app, that a hot-click could cancel, so we could get back to the desktop. I
> never got it to work. Once the browser object had control, nothing else
> would respond.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Oct 4, 2018, at 11:04 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Ehh.....Does anyone know if it will ever be possible to place controls on
> > layers above a browser widget?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
"...But with a browser widget, the message is generated only if the extent of
the button is outside the extent of the underlying widget.

I may not have been clear. If I click on a portion of the overlying button
that is outside the rect of the underlying widget, then a mouseUp message is
generated. If I click on a portion of the button that is inside the widget
rect, no message,

Again, how do it know?

Craig

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
The browser object sits atop everything else, or rather it is "drawn" over everything else. Whatever it is not drawn over is still clickable. That is how it was explained to me some time back.

Bob S

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 12:00 , dunbarxx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "...But with a browser widget, the message is generated only if the extent of
> the button is outside the extent of the underlying widget.
>
> I may not have been clear. If I click on a portion of the overlying button
> that is outside the rect of the underlying widget, then a mouseUp message is
> generated. If I click on a portion of the button that is inside the widget
> rect, no message,
>
> Again, how do it know?
>
> Craig

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
If I remember correctly this is supposed to be “change” at some point with infinite LC.

In the mean time, you could overlay another html control over it and use it as a button.

At least you used to be able to do that.

Best,

Steve

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 2:26 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> oh yeah i know that right now thats the case....i'm asking if anyone knows
> if thats a temporary or permanent situation.
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 2:08 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I went through that a while back. I was trying to create a web based Kiosk
>> app, that a hot-click could cancel, so we could get back to the desktop. I
>> never got it to work. Once the browser object had control, nothing else
>> would respond.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Oct 4, 2018, at 11:04 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Ehh.....Does anyone know if it will ever be possible to place controls on
>>> layers above a browser widget?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tom

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
The browser object sits atop everything else, or rather it is "drawn" over
everything else...

Hmmm.

OK,this even though the browser object sits in layer 1, and the overlying
button sits in layer 2.
So there is a breakdown in the layer paradigm?

Messages are prevented from being generated if a browser widget rect
encloses the clickLoc in any way. LC "knows" there is a widget there, eh?
And reserves that rect against any and all messages.

Hmmm.

Craig

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I suspect all they did was take the old browser object and wrap it in a widget that it can respond to and send messages. The old browser was not on a layer per se. (Actually, nothing is, it's all smoke and mirrors). It would write or draw if you will to a rect on the screen, and once it did that, none of the "underlying" objects were accessible until the browser object was cleared.

Bob S

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 14:07 , dunbarxx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The browser object sits atop everything else, or rather it is "drawn" over
> everything else...
>
> Hmmm.
>
> OK,this even though the browser object sits in layer 1, and the overlying
> button sits in layer 2.
> So there is a breakdown in the layer paradigm?
>
> Messages are prevented from being generated if a browser widget rect
> encloses the clickLoc in any way. LC "knows" there is a widget there, eh?
> And reserves that rect against any and all messages.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Craig

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Bob.

Overlying, no?

And all objects are smoke and mirrors, in that they are chimeras that we
"see", "drawn" on a "screen", when in reality they are just a list of
certain transistors locked in a certain state.

I get that widgets are different. But I do not like at all that they break
fundamental rules. Who do they think they are, taking over real estate with
air rights?

Craig

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Native layers are drawn above all LC layers regardless of what layer the object is in. This would go for native buttons and other controls as well. An interesting experiment would be to try a native button over the browser widget.

On desktop you can layer over the browser widget using a second stack that has transparency set appropriately and sits in front of the browser stack.

Thanks,
Brian
On Oct 4, 2018, 5:45 PM -0400, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I suspect all they did was take the old browser object and wrap it in a widget that it can respond to and send messages. The old browser was not on a layer per se. (Actually, nothing is, it's all smoke and mirrors). It would write or draw if you will to a rect on the screen, and once it did that, none of the "underlying" objects were accessible until the browser object was cleared.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Oct 4, 2018, at 14:07 , dunbarxx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The browser object sits atop everything else, or rather it is "drawn" over
> > everything else...
> >
> > Hmmm.
> >
> > OK,this even though the browser object sits in layer 1, and the overlying
> > button sits in layer 2.
> > So there is a breakdown in the layer paradigm?
> >
> > Messages are prevented from being generated if a browser widget rect
> > encloses the clickLoc in any way. LC "knows" there is a widget there, eh?
> > And reserves that rect against any and all messages.
> >
> > Hmmm.
> >
> > Craig

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
> Does anyone know if it will ever be possible to place controls on
> layers above a browser widget?

I don’t know if that is in the works or when it may be available.

But you might be able to kludge it now on desktop:
1- place the control (say, a button) that you want to position within the browser’s rect in a separate stack;
2- set the window shape of that stack to match the shape of the button;
3- position that ‘button’ stack on top of the browser widget that is in the underlain stack.

I haven’t tried it but it may work.

Jim Lambert

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
See my demo here:

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=152773#p152773

Overlays the widget while this plays a video.

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
> Bob S. wrote:
> I suspect all they did was take the old browser object and wrap
> it in a widget that it can respond to and send messages.

The widget is more than a simple wrapper.

It is more comfortable and works (with the right settings) for
most use cases too on linux.

TMHO, it is one of the strongest tools available in LiveCode.
By using JavaScript you have a FFI or, seen from the other side,
a wonderful GUI to JavaScript of which others dream of.

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
HH .... that is the workaround I was going for.........thanks for the
demo....proves my thesis and I feel great about going forward with that
solution.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:47 PM hh via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Bob S. wrote:
> > I suspect all they did was take the old browser object and wrap
> > it in a widget that it can respond to and send messages.
>
> The widget is more than a simple wrapper.
>
> It is more comfortable and works (with the right settings) for
> most use cases too on linux.
>
> TMHO, it is one of the strongest tools available in LiveCode.
> By using JavaScript you have a FFI or, seen from the other side,
> a wonderful GUI to JavaScript of which others dream of.

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Just tried a native Mac button over the browser widget. Clicks do get received, but the button is not drawn over the browser. The Mac native single line field will layer over/under the native button fine. And as expected, if you create a giant button and cover everything, then it is only responsive where it is not covered by a native layer control.

-hh’s demo is the one I was remembering.

Thanks,
Brian
On Oct 4, 2018, 10:06 PM -0400, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> HH .... that is the workaround I was going for.........thanks for the
> demo....proves my thesis and I feel great about going forward with that
> solution.
>

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:47 PM hh via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Bob S. wrote:
> > > I suspect all they did was take the old browser object and wrap
> > > it in a widget that it can respond to and send messages.
> >
> > The widget is more than a simple wrapper.
> >
> > It is more comfortable and works (with the right settings) for
> > most use cases too on linux.
> >
> > TMHO, it is one of the strongest tools available in LiveCode.
> > By using JavaScript you have a FFI or, seen from the other side,
> > a wonderful GUI to JavaScript of which others dream of.

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Tom,

How about dragging the widget off of the visible screen?
You could create your own interface look for it, or for
whatever you are trying to do, and have that send
messages to the offscreen widget to process. Then
send the results of the widget back to your graphic
interface?

It might be a good work around for you although it
could be more work.

Just my 2 cent ideas here.

Rick

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 2:04 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ehh.....Does anyone know if it will ever be possible to place controls on
> layers above a browser widget?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Re: Will it ever be possible place controls over browser widget?

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Did that once long ago. Browser object (not widget) overlaid the button. I am saying I think the widget is just the browser object wrapped in a widget.

Bob S