Window Positioning Bug?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Window Positioning Bug?

ScottR
When I run the following script, I actually see the offscreen-intended
window appear every *other* time, in other words a reliable failure that
occurs 50% of the time:

on showWindow
  set topLeft of stack progind to 10000,10000
  palette stack progind
  put windowID of stack progind into tID
  import snapshot from rect (rect of grc pie of stack progind) of window tID
  close stack progind
  choose browse tool
end showWindow

(MacOSX 10.3.9)

The results are the same even if the position is set to negative numbers.
I've noticed this failure in other stacks but wasn't sure if this was a
result of my code.  Now it seems very repeatable, and I believe other folks
have mentioned window positioning problems as well.

Can anyone else verify this?  Is this a coding problem or bug?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Positioning Bug?

Wouter-12
Hi Scott,

This works in Rev 2.6, OS X 10.4.1 without a flicker or reappearance  
of the stack.

on showWindow
   --set topLeft of stack progind to 10000,10000
   --palette stack progind
   go invisible stack progind
   go back
   set topLeft of stack progind to 10000,10000
   set the visible of stack progind to true
   put windowID of stack progind into tID
   import snapshot from rect (rect of grc 1 of stack progind) of  
window tID
   close stack progind
   choose browse tool
end showWindow

Better not set the style of  stack "Submarine" to palette or the  
import is done in the palette stack.

Changing window style or window shape on hidden or offscreen stacks  
will make the system redraw the window within the screen rect, hence  
the flicker or reappearance.
But why it is doing this every second time with your script, I don't  
know.
So if it is a bug or a coding problem is for others to decide.

Greetings,
Wouter

On 13 Jul 2005, at 00:13, Scott Rossi wrote:

> When I run the following script, I actually see the offscreen-intended
> window appear every *other* time, in other words a reliable failure  
> that
> occurs 50% of the time:
>
> on showWindow
>   set topLeft of stack progind to 10000,10000
>   palette stack progind
>   put windowID of stack progind into tID
>   import snapshot from rect (rect of grc pie of stack progind) of  
> window tID
>   close stack progind
>   choose browse tool
> end showWindow
>
> (MacOSX 10.3.9)
>
> The results are the same even if the position is set to negative  
> numbers.
> I've noticed this failure in other stacks but wasn't sure if this  
> was a
> result of my code.  Now it seems very repeatable, and I believe  
> other folks
> have mentioned window positioning problems as well.
>
> Can anyone else verify this?  Is this a coding problem or bug?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
> -----
> E: [hidden email]
> W: http://www.tactilemedia.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Positioning Bug?

Chipp Walters
In reply to this post by ScottR
Hey man,

couple things you should consider trying.
1) check the windowBoundingRect and set it larger.
2) set the stack's formatForPrinting property to true, this will ignore
the windowBoundingRect; be aware of editing any text of a stack who's
formatForPrinting prop is true.
3) Don't use a palette, instead copy and paste the image to your topstack
4) Consider using some form of:

open inv stack "progInd"
set the topLeft of stack "progInd" to 1000,1000
show stack "progInd"

best,

Chipp



Scott Rossi wrote:

> When I run the following script, I actually see the offscreen-intended
> window appear every *other* time, in other words a reliable failure that
> occurs 50% of the time:
>
> on showWindow
>   set topLeft of stack progind to 10000,10000
>   palette stack progind
>   put windowID of stack progind into tID
>   import snapshot from rect (rect of grc pie of stack progind) of window tID
>   close stack progind
>   choose browse tool
> end showWindow
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

ScottR
>> When I run the following script, I actually see the offscreen-intended
>> window appear every *other* time, in other words a reliable failure that
>> occurs 50% of the time:
>>
>> on showWindow
>>   set topLeft of stack progind to 10000,10000
>>   palette stack progind
>>   put windowID of stack progind into tID
>>   import snapshot from rect (rect of grc pie of stack progind) of window tID
>>   close stack progind
>>   choose browse tool
>> end showWindow

> couple things you should consider trying.
> 1) check the windowBoundingRect and set it larger.
> 2) set the stack's formatForPrinting property to true, this will ignore
> the windowBoundingRect; be aware of editing any text of a stack who's
> formatForPrinting prop is true.
> 3) Don't use a palette, instead copy and paste the image to your topstack
> 4) Consider using some form of:
>
> open inv stack "progInd"
> set the topLeft of stack "progInd" to 1000,1000
> show stack "progInd"

Thanks Chipp.  However the issue I'm trying to address is to reliably place
a stack offscreen, which is used in any number of routines (not just my
import script).  In my tests, setting the position of a stack to an
offscreen location fails every other time; the stack's mode is irrelevant.
Here's an even simper script that demonstrates the problem here on OSX:

Create a new stack "WinPosTest".  Create another new main stack named
"tester", set its main stack to WinPosTest, and save.  Create a button in
stack WinPosTest and give it the following script.

on mouseUp
  set topLeft of stack "tester" to 10000,-10000
  go stack "tester"
  wait 60 with messages
  close stack "tester"
end mouseUp

On my system, this fails every *other* time in that stack "tester" appears
near the top right of the monitor when it should really appear offscreen.
This seems like a bug to me unless I'm missing something.

In any event, I finally found what appears to be a workaround.  Setting the
stack's loc repeatedly to two different positions seems to get around the
problem and reliably place the stack offscreen:

on mouseUp
  repeat 2
    set topRight of stack "tester" to -10000,10000
    set topLeft of stack "tester" to 10000,-10000
  end repeat
  go stack "tester"
  wait 60 with messages
  close stack "tester"
end mouseUp

Not sure if anyone else is affected by this issue.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design
-----
E: [hidden email]
W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Jim Bufalini
Scott,

>Thanks Chipp.  However the issue I'm trying to address is to reliably place
>a stack offscreen, which is used in any number of routines (not just my
>import script).

Ah-ha! Is this how to get around that picture flash that occurs during
*import*? I've tried lock screen, setting defaultStack to an invisible
stack, putting the default (invisible) stack *behind* another stack, etc.,
and nothing worked. Finally I just decided to call it a "feature." :) I
never thought of off screen!

This raises a second question, though. I run two monitors. How does Rev
address the second or more monitors (I believe the limit software wise in
WinXP is 9 monitors)? I notice, for example that the Documentation screen
reliably comes back, where I left it, on my second screen. But, the
Application Browser never returns to the second screen. I should mention, my
two screens have different resolutions, which is not uncommon.

I guess these two questions are related, so that when putting something
*offscreen* you don't accidently put it on someone else's other screen. :)

Jim


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Eric Chatonet
Hi Jim,

If you set the bottomRight of a window to negative values (or at  
least "0,0"), this should never happen :-)

Le 13 juil. 05 à 13:40, Jim Bufalini a écrit :

> I guess these two questions are related, so that when putting  
> something
> *offscreen* you don't accidently put it on someone else's other  
> screen. :)

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
----------------------------------------------------------------
So Smart Software

For institutions, companies and associations
Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch

Free plugins and tutorials on my website
----------------------------------------------------------------
Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
Email        [hidden email]/
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86
----------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Charles Hartman
In reply to this post by Jim Bufalini

On Jul 13, 2005, at 7:40 AM, Jim Bufalini wrote:

> This raises a second question, though. I run two monitors. How does  
> Rev
> address the second or more monitors (I believe the limit software  
> wise in
> WinXP is 9 monitors)? I notice, for example that the Documentation  
> screen
> reliably comes back, where I left it, on my second screen.

Yes -- what it does _not_ do is come back (at all!) if it last  
appeared on the second screen and if the second screen was since  
disconnected. So --

> But, the
> Application Browser never returns to the second screen.

-- Rev seems to have a general problem with second displays on Mac.

> I should mention, my
> two screens have different resolutions, which is not uncommon.
>

Charles Hartman
Professor of English, Poet in Residence
Connecticut College
[hidden email]
*the Scandroid* is at cherry.conncoll.edu/cohar/Programs.htm


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Jim Bufalini
In reply to this post by Eric Chatonet
Eric,

> If you set the bottomRight of a window to negative values (or at least
"0,0"),
> this should never happen :-)

I just tested this, and this is incorrect. If you *place* your second
monitor at -1024, -768 (which, in my case, would be diagonally upper left of
the main monitor) and set the bottomRight of a stack to 0,0, this would
place the stack in that monitor. I guess the answer is to use really large
numbers.

Jim


_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Jim Bufalini
In reply to this post by Charles Hartman
Charles,

I don't know about Mac, but in the case of Windows, and only for screens
with a title bar, that show up in the Taskbar (Documentation window has one,
Application Browser doesn't), you can right click on the window in your
Taskbar and select Move, and then use the appropriate cursor keys to inch
the window back on to your main monitor, from a monitor that has been
removed.

Now I suppose, if somebody knows the names of the Application Browser and
Reference Documentation stacks, you could use your Message Box to set their
Locations back to your main monitor. Anyone?

Jim
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Charles Hartman [mailto:[hidden email]]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:06 AM
  To: [hidden email]; How to use Revolution
  Subject: Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]




  On Jul 13, 2005, at 7:40 AM, Jim Bufalini wrote:


    This raises a second question, though. I run two monitors. How does Rev

    address the second or more monitors (I believe the limit software wise
in

    WinXP is 9 monitors)? I notice, for example that the Documentation
screen

    reliably comes back, where I left it, on my second screen.




  Yes -- what it does _not_ do is come back (at all!) if it last appeared on
the second screen and if the second screen was since disconnected. So --


    But, the

    Application Browser never returns to the second screen.




  -- Rev seems to have a general problem with second displays on Mac.


    I should mention, my

    two screens have different resolutions, which is not uncommon.





  Charles Hartman
  Professor of English, Poet in Residence
  Connecticut College
  [hidden email]
  *the Scandroid* is at cherry.conncoll.edu/cohar/Programs.htm



_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Eric Chatonet
revApplicationOverview and revDocs

Le 13 juil. 05 à 15:19, Jim Bufalini a écrit :

> Now I suppose, if somebody knows the names of the Application  
> Browser and
> Reference Documentation stacks, you could use your Message Box to  
> set their
> Locations back to your main monitor. Anyone?


Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
----------------------------------------------------------------
So Smart Software

For institutions, companies and associations
Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch

Free plugins and tutorials on my website
----------------------------------------------------------------
Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
Email        [hidden email]/
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86
----------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

xbury.cs
In reply to this post by Jim Bufalini
Guys,

Also, once you select the window, type alt-space - (the menu of the window
(topleft corner) will
drop down, and all you need is to type M (as in "Move) and then use the
arrows to put it back
where you want it. Type C to close the darn thing ;)

set the loc of this stack to 100,100 -- (or the mouseloc) should work
also...

cheers
Xav

On 13.07.2005 15:19:57 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>Charles,
>
>I don't know about Mac, but in the case of Windows, and only for screens
>with a title bar, that show up in the Taskbar (Documentation window has
one,
>Application Browser doesn't), you can right click on the window in your
>Taskbar and select Move, and then use the appropriate cursor keys to inch
>the window back on to your main monitor, from a monitor that has been
>removed.
>
>Now I suppose, if somebody knows the names of the Application Browser and
>Reference Documentation stacks, you could use your Message Box to set
their

>Locations back to your main monitor. Anyone?
>
>Jim
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Charles Hartman [mailto:[hidden email]]
>Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:06 AM
>To: [hidden email]; How to use Revolution
>Subject: Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]
>
>
>
>
>On Jul 13, 2005, at 7:40 AM, Jim Bufalini wrote:
>
>
>This raises a second question, though. I run two monitors. How does Rev
>
>address the second or more monitors (I believe the limit software wise
>in
>
>WinXP is 9 monitors)? I notice, for example that the Documentation
>screen
>
>reliably comes back, where I left it, on my second screen.
>
>
>
>
>Yes -- what it does _not_ do is come back (at all!) if it last appeared
on

>the second screen and if the second screen was since disconnected. So --
>
>
>But, the
>
>Application Browser never returns to the second screen.
>
>
>
>
>-- Rev seems to have a general problem with second displays on Mac.
>
>
>I should mention, my
>
>two screens have different resolutions, which is not uncommon.
>
>
>
>
>
>Charles Hartman
>Professor of English, Poet in Residence
>Connecticut College
>[hidden email]
>*the Scandroid* is at cherry.conncoll.edu/cohar/Programs.htm
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>use-revolution mailing list
>[hidden email]
>Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
subscription
>preferences:
>http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution


-----------------------------------------
Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com
                                                         
IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Jim Bufalini
Alt-space... Well, that makes the second new thing I learned today! :-)
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 3:23 AM
  To: [hidden email]; How to use Revolution
  Subject: RE: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]



  Guys,

  Also, once you select the window, type alt-space - (the menu of the window
(topleft corner) will
  drop down, and all you need is to type M (as in "Move) and then use the
arrows to put it back
  where you want it. Type C to close the darn thing ;)

  set the loc of this stack to 100,100 -- (or the mouseloc) should work
also...

  cheers
  Xav

  On 13.07.2005 15:19:57 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
  >Charles,
  >
  >I don't know about Mac, but in the case of Windows, and only for screens
  >with a title bar, that show up in the Taskbar (Documentation window has
one,
  >Application Browser doesn't), you can right click on the window in your
  >Taskbar and select Move, and then use the appropriate cursor keys to inch
  >the window back on to your main monitor, from a monitor that has been
  >removed.
  >
  >Now I suppose, if somebody knows the names of the Application Browser and
  >Reference Documentation stacks, you could use your Message Box to set
their
  >Locations back to your main monitor. Anyone?
  >
  >Jim
  >-----Original Message-----
  >From: Charles Hartman [mailto:[hidden email]]
  >Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 2:06 AM
  >To: [hidden email]; How to use Revolution
  >Subject: Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >On Jul 13, 2005, at 7:40 AM, Jim Bufalini wrote:
  >
  >
  >This raises a second question, though. I run two monitors. How does Rev
  >
  >address the second or more monitors (I believe the limit software wise
  >in
  >
  >WinXP is 9 monitors)? I notice, for example that the Documentation
  >screen
  >
  >reliably comes back, where I left it, on my second screen.
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >Yes -- what it does _not_ do is come back (at all!) if it last appeared
on
  >the second screen and if the second screen was since disconnected. So --
  >
  >
  >But, the
  >
  >Application Browser never returns to the second screen.
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >-- Rev seems to have a general problem with second displays on Mac.
  >
  >
  >I should mention, my
  >
  >two screens have different resolutions, which is not uncommon.
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >Charles Hartman
  >Professor of English, Poet in Residence
  >Connecticut College
  >[hidden email]
  >*the Scandroid* is at cherry.conncoll.edu/cohar/Programs.htm
  >
  >
  >
  >_______________________________________________
  >use-revolution mailing list
  >[hidden email]
  >Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
subscription
  >preferences:
  >http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--


  Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

  IMPORTANT MESSAGE

  Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
  International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
  this message.

  The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be
  legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
  not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
  any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
  prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
  those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
  states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
  its affiliates or subsidiaries.

  END OF DISCLAIMER
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Positioning Bug? [WORKAROUND]

Eric Chatonet
In reply to this post by Eric Chatonet

Le 13 juil. 05 à 15:23, Eric Chatonet a écrit :

> revApplicationOverview and revDocs
>
> Le 13 juil. 05 à 15:19, Jim Bufalini a écrit :
>
>
>> Now I suppose, if somebody knows the names of the Application  
>> Browser and
>> Reference Documentation stacks, you could use your Message Box to  
>> set their
>> Locations back to your main monitor. Anyone?

For those who are interested, some other IDE stacks:

Answer Dialog
Ask Dialog
Color Chooser
execution error
file selector
Home
Magnify
Message Box
revAddDocsBookmarks
revAddLibraryStack
revAddProperty
revAnimation
revAnimationProperties
revApplicationOverview
revBrushpopup
revChangeCase
revColorPopup
revColorPopup
revCompatibilityBrushes1
revCompatibilityIcons1
revCompatibilityPatterns1
revCompatibilityPatterns2
revConnectionDetails
revCopyProfileProperty
revCustomCursors
revDBQuerySetup
revdocs
revDocs Edit Web Notes
revDocsImages
revEditDictionary
revEditionType
revErrorDisplay
revGeneralIcons
revGeneralPatterns
revHelpPopup
revIconChooser
revIcons
revLibAlu
revLibrary
revLicenseAgreement
revLineSizePopup
revMacCursors
revMenubar
revMessageWatcher
revObjectSelector
revPlaybackOptions
revPlugInEditor
revPreferences
revProfileOptions
revPropertyPalette
revprotectedicons
revRestore
revRotate
revRoundRadius
revSaving
revScriptEditor
revScriptFont
revSuppressMessages
revTemplatePalette
revTemplateScriptEditor
revTitleBarSelector
revTools

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
----------------------------------------------------------------
So Smart Software

For institutions, companies and associations
Built-to-order applications: management, multimedia, internet, etc.
Windows, Mac OS and Linux... With the French touch

Free plugins and tutorials on my website
----------------------------------------------------------------
Web site        http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/
Email        [hidden email]/
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86
----------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution